Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jake Gyllenhaal on Gay Rumors, 'Brokeback Mountain' On 'Inside The Actor's Studio'

Following in the footsteps of what seems to be every actor who has ever been on screen, Jake Gyllenhaal finally makes it onto "Inside the Actors Studio," where he reflects on his filmography with host James Lipton.

The hour-long chatfest premieres next week on Bravo, and during the course of the program Gyllenhaal talks about his life, and the films he's made, including the Oscar-winning gay classic "Brokeback Mountain."

Aside from the film itself he talks about his co-star and friend, Heath Ledger, and how his death "...felt like losing a family member, and it still does to this day."

After the critical and commercial success of "Brokeback Mountain" there came the inevitable questioning of Gyllenhaal's sexuality, since he plays a gay cowboy in the film. Gyllenhaal commented on the rumors during his talk with Lipton, and said, "It's a huge compliment," but what he prefers is "tits and a**."

Since his "Brokeback" days he has been romantically linked to a number of Hollywood starlets such as Reese Witherspoon and Taylor Swift.

His "Inside the Actor's Studio" appearance coincides with the release of his upcoming movie "Prisoners" which co-stars Hugh Jackman and is already receiving Oscar talk for multiple categories, including nominations for the cast.

Gyllenhaal's episode of "Inside the Actors Studio" premieres next Thursday, Sept. 19 on Bravo.

by Miareply 5809/22/2013

He might as well appear on there. He's not doing anything else. Did he look like a dirty hippie, or did he bother to clean up for the appearance?

by Miareply 109/15/2013

He's getting VERY good reviews for his performance in Prisoners...stellar, actually. I'm surprised and impressed.

by Miareply 209/15/2013

I never really cared for Jake, as an actor or as sex symbol, so I never really cared about the gay rumors. I started dated this guy a few months ago who was his neighbor when he leaved up in the Hollywood Hills. They were neighbors for a few years, during the Reese era. Met both many, many times. Reese was DEFINITIVELY a beard and my bf said that the guy who would get the paper each morning, water the lawn, etc., was a very nice guy named Austin. Cracked me up because I only know about Jake/Austin being a couple from the DL and my bf isn't a DLer.

by Miareply 309/15/2013

he actually used the words 'tits and a$$' to Lipton during this interview?! ugh-what a try hard.

by Miareply 409/15/2013

I see him 'acting' in every last thing he does.

I can't believe has a career. I guess he got in through connections.

by Miareply 509/15/2013

At least he didn't say 'I like vag'. I hate when guys say that trying to look straight.

by Miareply 609/15/2013

Gay, straight, I don't care, but I have to say I'm tired of many DLers who claim that all they want to hear is for someone to say they're not gay rather than dance around it (thinking of the JGL thread about this topic), yet that's a lie because DLers will still claim Jake is gay even if he says he's straight.

Lot of DL hypocrites. If a guy dances around it, he's gay. Says he's straight? He's gay. Likes tits/ass? Gay.

Not saying we don't have a lot of liars, but stop saying that all they have to claim is that they're straight.

by Miareply 709/15/2013

Amateur. It's more convincing when you jump on a couch.

by Miareply 809/15/2013

I didn't anyone cared about anything involving a Gyllenhaal anymore.

by Miareply 909/15/2013

Grow up, Jake!

by Miareply 1009/15/2013

My guess is he's tired of the lying too but gives in to the career pressures. Let's face it, when he comes out or is pushed out, he won't get the big leading man or action hero roles---which may already be dwindling for him. And once they're out, as a community, we are not all that supportive of out gay stars or even the straight stars who are our vocal allies.

by Miareply 1109/15/2013

Is he trying for less but more quality roles? Is mainstream Hollywood no longer calling? Did he drop out on his own because of something? Boredom? Fatigue? Drugs?

by Miareply 1209/15/2013

Questions like that are always set up by the PR person.

It's a ridiculous question to ask of an actor, knowing that many of them are closeted.

James Lipton married a younger asian women very late in life. Do the math.

by Miareply 1309/15/2013

[quote]James Lipton married a younger asian women very late in life. Do the math.

He's just a dude who also ADORES the tits and ass!

by Miareply 1409/15/2013

Isn't Lipton the one who was a pimp in WW2 France? No, seriously, I think he was...

by Miareply 1509/15/2013

This is why you shouldn't cast actors with desires to be a hetero-sex symbol to play gay roles.

He prefers tits and ass. Who cares?

R13 is right. It's Hollywood that cares and keeps forcing the question.

No one is going to control gossip, just let it go.

by Miareply 1609/15/2013

I know this is a stretch, but still.. is it possible that he's bi? What if he likes tits on girls and ass on guys?

by Miareply 1709/15/2013

[quote]I guess he got in through connections.

It is well-documented, R5, that the Gyllenhaals nepotized their way into acting careers. But who cares? Should his parents have told him, "No, Jake, you may not work in (what is essentially) the family business. Some son of a postman may want to be an actor, and we wouldn't want to use our power and position to deny him a career. Why don't [italic]you[/italic] go and work in the post office instead of being an actor?

It would be one thing if he couldn't act. But IMO, he makes everything he's in better, just because of his presence. He's one of a very few people who "opens" a movie for me.

by Miareply 1809/15/2013

I'm jist a dude who cain't say no, to tits and a**, I'm in a turrible fix!

by Miareply 1909/15/2013

PR people are worthless. Useless. An utter waste of money. Nine times out of ten they just make things worse.

They are only good to serve as sycophants and as someone who can keep you apart from 'the little people'. I say this having worked in the industry, in Hollywood, for over 20 years.

It's ludicrous. I was on a press tour and the 'talent' asked the PR assistant to keep the crew from eating the muffins on the craft service table because he wanted them but didn't want to seem like a jerk for telling others not to eat them.

Another time, on a press tour done by satellite, the TV station asked the 'talent' to do a plug for their sports show. This idiot starts shaking his head no and motioning with a finger to his throat, but he's saying on the mic that he would love to do it. They were laughing at him. Then he made this poor PR girl call the sports producer at the station with some bogus story to make it seem like it was her fault.

I really should write a book. But then they might blow up my car one day, which I've actually been threatened with by several celebrities on several occasions.

by Miareply 2009/15/2013

Men have tits and asses. Just sayin'.

by Miareply 2109/15/2013

More, R20!

by Miareply 2209/15/2013

R20, your kind of stories is part of why we come here. Please share more stories. Leave names out if you choose. Any good gay/bearding stories? Thank you!!

by Miareply 2309/15/2013

What R22 said.

Please stay around, R20. It's been a while since we've had gossip.

by Miareply 2409/15/2013

"Tits and Ass" seems defensive to me. Throw em a curve ball.

by Miareply 2509/15/2013

He's just really fond of A Chorus Line.

by Miareply 2609/15/2013

Jake is a great looking slightly neurotic half Jewish bisexual. Which makes him exactly like 25% of the young actors today. Take out the Jewish part and I'd say easily 50% are b! It's all about being adored. Why limit the amount of people who can adore you? And to all these actors who say "I don't see why anyone cares if I'm gay/bi?" The answer is. "Because you are jerked off to and any sexual info feeds the fantasy". Dumb silly actor boy!

by Miareply 2709/15/2013

Thanks for that juicy piece of gossip, r20!

by Miareply 2809/15/2013

Didn't Casablancas always say that Toothy was bi with a real relationship with Dunst?

by Miareply 2909/15/2013

I'm afraid most of my stories are rather tame by DL standards. I learned soon after arriving in Hollywood of my distaste for the tornado immediately surrounding the celebrities themselves, and kept my career at a bit of a distance. That also helped me avoid the sharks, and I still managed to have a decent enough time of it.

Oh, I forgot one other thing the PR people are good for, speaking of sharks. That's blame. The sheer number of PR people around at any given time would astound you. There's ones for the talent, the show or film, the studio, the network for TV, etc. etc. You want to see a feeding frenzy, be in the room when something goes to shit. No one will offer an opinion on how to fix whatever the problem is. Everyone starts talking about 'I knew this would happen, I tried to warn you all.' and all that. It turns 'Survivor' very quickly. The weaker member of the herd gets chosen and everyone else jumps on board as long as it isn't them. Really toxic working environment.

Nothing really gay, as I said I tried to keep my nose out of anything to troublesome. Not related to my job, I did know a guy who started up a limo service. He was kind of a rough character, but had a good heart. He sponsored guys getting out of prison and helped them through getting their license and then gave them a job. He seemed to be good at keeping them in line, he didn't have many issues. They had to be able to look clean cut in long sleeves and pants. No neck tattoos or anything. But I do remember getting kind of queasy once as he laughed as he talked about all the rich twat pretty boy actors he had to take shit from who would against company policy bareback with his drivers, many of whom were positive.

Anything else I've seen involving sex was tame and hetero. Ah, another use for the PR person (most of them are pretty young girls, BTW). They are a source of pussy for actors, singers, etc. that are handy, plentiful, and know to keep their mouth shut. I saw plenty of them getting it, some discreetly, some not so much. I remember one R&B singer who was having his in the hallway while his wife was in the limo you could see from the window (second floor). Clothes on, just zipper down and skirt hiked up. Like I said, tame stuff by DL standards, sorry!

by Miareply 3009/15/2013

R30, your stories don't have to involve dead strippers or drug-fueled episodes to be interesting. Even the minutiae can be interesting.

by Miareply 3109/15/2013

Why do people stay in the business if it's so horrid? I mean is the money good for those of you who aren't talent/executives? Why put up with the nightmare?

by Miareply 3209/15/2013

The money is all over the map. There's the good, the bad, and the ugly. Some people just fall into it and stay there. There actually are some L.A. natives. LOL. Some have family connections. Tons of production and post is done through subcontracting. You have lots of family owned businesses. Someone who worked in lighting for years and saved up to buy their own gear, for example. They may get out of being on set and just rent the equipment out for income. Lots of people are passionate about working with celebrities and Hollywood. That can mean that they are passionate about the product -- storytelling -- or the people -- they need (and I do mean NEED) to feel like they have a connection to celebrity. Get between one of these people and their celeb and you are dead. Some buy into the lifestyle, which is absurd. I saw the Toni Braxton thing on TV again just recently where she was crying because she thought people were just giving her the gowns and stuff she ended up paying for, and I had to laugh. I don't know how even a sheltered celeb could think that, being in the industry! Everyone knows that they don't live nearly as lavishly as you think. It's only there as window dressing when needed - it is called Tinsel Town. Usually dresses, jewelry, etc. are on loan and must be returned, spotless, immediately after an event. A lot of times we'd be waiting for a celeb to arrive and they'd just drive themselves up in a Camry or something if the event was closed to press and the public.

by Miareply 3309/15/2013

James Lipton married a younger asian women very late in life. Do the math.

Huh?

Not getting married older in life and being attracted to Asian women makes a man gay?

by Miareply 3409/15/2013

Last time I looked, men had both tits AND ass.

by Miareply 3509/15/2013

I feel very honored that he considers being thought of as gay is a great compliment.

by Miareply 3609/15/2013

This man needs to come out. He will be happier for it. I believe he is bisexual and prefers men.

by Miareply 3709/15/2013

Any male romantically linked to Taylor Swift is not straight.

by Miareply 3809/15/2013

Jake, you like tits and ass? Let's hook up! I like sausage!

by Miareply 3909/15/2013

I don't know if Jake is gay or not. My friend of many years, who is famous in his own right, is close friends with Dunst. A long time ago he laughed at me when I asked him about Jake and Dunst - he said she was a fag-hag and they were just friends. The romance was a PR stunt.

by Miareply 4009/15/2013

R35, I'd like to introduce you to R21.

by Miareply 4109/15/2013

Dustin Hoffman outed him when he was a teenager.

He's gay. Just the fact he would set up that question and then answer it in that way means he's gay. And the host of that show would know what a closet case is.

by Miareply 4209/15/2013

[quote]Dustin Hoffman outed him when he was a teenager.

Details.

by Miareply 4309/15/2013

[quote]James Lipton married a younger asian women very late in life. Do the math.

Some of the biggest straight douchebags on the planet also marry younger Asian women late in life. They're called mail order brides. I grew up on military bases all over the world. On every base, a quarter of the men had younger Asian wives; they definitely weren't all gay. While Lipton might be, this "only on DL" idea that a man marrying outside of his race means he is automatically closeted is incredibly racist and ridiculously dated in 2013.

by Miareply 4409/15/2013

Only on Datalounge, R34.

by Miareply 4509/15/2013

So he's into fat guys, huh?

by Miareply 4609/15/2013

Oh Jakey.

Still, he'll always get a pass I wouldn't give other closets for Brokeback. An incredibly brave move (especially at that time) from any actor - gay or straight. And some turned it down. Maybe he did it to say something about himself but it was so important regardless.

Such a big thing to do cause it affected him for years afterward - teased on the set of Zodiac, crazy stalkers, microscope on private life etc - as this interview shows he still hasn't recovered and will always have that hanging over him. Unless he gets an actual big hit.

Did the host directly ask him if he was gay? Seems a bit much, but equally tacky if Gyllenhaal volunteered that info.

by Miareply 4709/15/2013

I never heard him getting teased on the zodiac set? did RDJ try to bed him?

by Miareply 4809/16/2013

by Miareply 4909/16/2013

Anthony Edwards and Brian Cox threw in a few brokeback jokes on the set of Zodiac.

by Miareply 5009/16/2013

I don't believe either r3 or r40. Either they or their sources, were making up their gossip.

by Miareply 5109/16/2013

I am R40, and I didn't make it up. It was the truth. My friend is very famous in his field and knows everybody. I trust him completely on these things.

by Miareply 5209/16/2013

I wonder if Jake and Hugh Jackman hooked up while filming Prisoners. Jake looks like a hairier version of John Palermo.

by Miareply 5309/16/2013

Hugh only tops innocent bottoms.

by Miareply 5409/17/2013

Hey, R40! Does your famous friend know JGLs sexuality?

by Miareply 5509/22/2013

[quote]I don't know if Jake is gay or not. My friend of many years, who is famous in his own right, is close friends with Dunst. A long time ago he laughed at me when I asked him about Jake and Dunst - he said she was a fag-hag and they were just friends. The romance was a PR stunt.

Her closest male friends are usually gay.

by Miareply 5609/22/2013

[R48] - RDJ once said that while making a movie the name of which he wouldn't give the director had to deal with an obnoxious actor who insisted the rehearsals be done while the actors were wearing masks because it had something to do with masks allowing you to dissolve your ego and RDJ called crap on what he referred to as actor studio nonsense. When Jakey and Reese were still in their supposed relationship they were snapped in a car wearing masks. Fits, I think.

by Miareply 5709/22/2013

r57 If Jake was that obnoxious, why did they have lunch together with RDJ's wife included.

by Miareply 5809/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.