Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"I'm gonna have you fired."

Has anyone ever actually had someone fired like when you get really shitty customer service or an abusive CSR. I've come close and threatened but in the end I don't go through with it because I would feel too guilty.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2013

I doubt a customer can get anyone fired. The people will get a warning or a reprimand but that's it. Maybe their contract won't get renewed, or they are getting fired anyway and that is why they don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 109/15/2013

I'm always amazed when I hear someone say this. Yes, I worked retail, 40years. Do people actually understand what they are saying, what they mean, what they are wishing on someone??? And all because their feelings were hurt, or they were slighted, or someone didn't kiss their ass deeply enough? They are messing with someone's livelihood, their way of keeping a roof over their head, food in the house, and myriad other things we have to do to get through this wretched world. Really people? You want someone unemployed to assuage the irritation of that stick you got up your backside? Are you THAT important a person, that the peasant should lose his "life." Get over yourself. There's plenty of ways of dealing with the situation, and none of them involve you impersonating the Red Queen. Fie on you and your ilk.

by Anonymousreply 209/15/2013

r2 - so, in your mind, there is no offense sufficiently egregious to warrant that response?

1. How about if you walk-in on a worker with his dick hanging out of his pants in front of your kid?

2. How about someone really denying you service by saying, "get out of here faggot."

3. How about watching the barista spitting in your coffee?

4. What about the salesclerk telling you you're too old, fat, ugly to buy some article of clothing.

Sometimes, the customer is a douchebag. And sometimes, there are some instances where someone deserves to be fired for grossly inappropriate behavior.

by Anonymousreply 309/15/2013

I have never had the urge to say that. Is it really common??

Some workers are irritable, and it comes out. I'm not super rich so I don't get superb service from them.

Brunched at First Watch yesterday, and the coffee was cold. Pisses me off because of the high price and it tasted like shit. Asked the server to heat it up, and she lectured me that there is "no microwave in the building." So I just shrugged. She eventually brought us a fresh pot but we were almost done by that time.

Next time, bring a fresh pot from the outset.

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2013

I got someone fired, though I didn't say "I'll have you fired." Was at a busy casual restaurant in NYC, ordered a margarita, rocks, salt.

The server brought me a frozen margarita and I said: I wanted it on the rocks. And he said NO YOU DIDN'T. And I said, I did. Would you bring me one on the rocks, with salt?

And he huffed away and brought back a rocks margarita, without salt. And I said: I asked for salt and he said NO YOU DIDN'T. And the manager came over and asked if there was a problem.

I explained what I wanted, and the waiter said: she's lying! Here! Take it! And pushed the drink toward me.

He was fired on the spot, but I bet the reason the manager came over was that they were keeping an eye on him.

I don't want to cost anyone their job, but I don't think food service suited him. (He looked like an actor to me.)

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 609/15/2013

This is my hobby

by Anonymousreply 709/15/2013

I was newly hired in an Austin Texas Sambo's. Two gays on a date sit down and order hamburgers. The waitress hangs the order and tells the Mexican cooks that it's for the two fags.

I could go into detail all the things I watched the cooks do to their hamburgers. I guess the worst thing they did was roll the cooked patties in a swept pile of floor dirt and hair.

I turned the cooks in. And, I got fired/quit. I doubt the cooks got fired. They had no one to replace them (this was 1975).

by Anonymousreply 809/15/2013

R5 = Miranda Priestly

by Anonymousreply 909/15/2013

I'm having (R3) fired for hyphenating a verb phrase.

by Anonymousreply 1009/15/2013

still shocking there was a restaurant named SAMBO until the late 70s!

yes some bitches need to be fired - why would you let them ruin your business' reputation?

by Anonymousreply 1109/15/2013

Disgusting, R8. Wasn't there something you could have framed the cooks for to get them fired?

What about the waitress? You could have at least fucked up her car.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2013

Let's stick him in the walk-in, R10, and put a lock on the door.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2013

My trainer did something really unprofessional -- blamed me for losing a client to another trainer because that client had wanted my time slot. He did a lot of other things that were also unprofessional but that didn't bother me. The blaming me bothered me. I didn't want to get him fired but thought he needed a small correction so I went to his managers and told them all the great qualities I thought he brought to the position and what a great trainer he was compared to the other trainers I'd used, but that I thought he needed to get this one thing in check because it really bothered me as a client in a professional relationship. I could have laid on the other details but chose not to because the job seemed like a social life raft for him (not financial, though, he seemed well supported for a trainer).

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2013

When I worked a Bergdorf Goodman, I saw several instances of customers getting a sales person fired. One example was as simple as the salesperson suggesting that the customer might be a size 12 rather than a size 10. However, the one time I did not see the salespeople disciplined was when an entire department refused to wait on Tricia Nixion Cox because of her father. I always though that was odd.

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2013

If people can't perform their job duties appropraitely there are many other people willing to do so.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2013

I used to love when people would whip that out. When I worked retail my manager was a pussy and would always assure people that they would never see me in that store again. Invariably, they would return in a week or so. There I would be behind the counter. I would stare at them and laugh my ass off. Usually they just turned around and left in shock, never to return.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2013

I agree wholeheartedly with R2. First of all, these people working retail is punishment enough. Secondly, I see their lack of customer service as being a reflection of the company's attitude and ethos itself. There are plenty of companies out there that DRILL it into their employees heads that the customer comes first and ensure an appropriate amount of support so that employees can do their jobs well. If a company doesn't do this or I receive bad service, I simply let that organization know they won't be receiving my business in the future.

by Anonymousreply 1809/15/2013

In "The Santaland Diaries," David Sedaris says the only proper response to this should be, "Really? Well, I'm gonna have you KILLED!"

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2013

I got a PetCo employee fired.

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2013

I can see doing something like that once, and only once R19. And it would have to be when no one else could hear it. Then you could say that the person claiming you said it was insane.

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2013

[quote] I didn't want to get him fired but thought he needed a small correction

You **GO,** Mrs. Patsy Ramsey formerly of Boulder, CO!

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2013

My grandfather used to write letters to airlines telling them what a wonderful job a stewardess did.

by Anonymousreply 2309/15/2013

[quote]They are messing with someone's livelihood, their way of keeping a roof over their head, food in the house, and myriad other things we have to do to get through this wretched world. Really people?

Relax honey. There's always Wal*Mart.

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2013

I have no qualms telling someone I have a problem with them or the business. However, I would never complain about an employee for the simple reason, I don't walk in their shoes, I don't know what challenges they face in their personal life. I don't ever want to impact another persons over trivial matters.

by Anonymousreply 2509/15/2013

Do you think if I offered to write a letter to the airline of behalf of a cute flight attendant he'd give me a handjob in the back row of the plane?

by Anonymousreply 2609/15/2013

R23, that reminded me of the one time I DID get someone fired. My mother asked a flight attendant about her rolling suitcase. At the time, rolling suitcases were pretty rare and used mostly by flight attendants. Unfortunately, my 80+ mother called the flight attendant a stewardess. The flight attendant went off on the use of the word "Stewardess" rather than answering the question. After giving the stewardess a good dressing down, I wrote to the head of the airline. About a week later I got a written apology from the woman and a copy of her termination letter.

I really cannot take full credit for this, as in the termination letter it referred to more than one customer complaining about the stewardess's behavior.

by Anonymousreply 2709/15/2013

Years ago, I worked in an upscale specialty retailer's ladies shoe salon. It was a living HELL. I never got fired due to a customer, but I sure dealt with some serious mental cases. People would deliberately be rude, and try for a reaction.

by Anonymousreply 2809/15/2013

Oh, don't tell them you're going to do it. Let it be a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2909/15/2013

Most of the time these days supervisors and management assume that you are complaining about someone because they would not give you whatever it is you asked for. Given how poor customer service has become, and how tightly management watches expenses, these days they are more likely to reward the employee than fire them.

On a related note, I am tired of having to ask three times for the sauce when I order chicken nuggets. Do the employees get a bonus for each sauce packet they save? Are they paid so little that my nugget sauce becomes their only nutrition?

by Anonymousreply 3009/15/2013

Re R28, one interesting technique with people like that is to act like you smell something really, really bad (think shit and puke in a blender) and politely step back, delivering a master class of decorum in the face of (invented) personal odor. I have gone so far as simulating nausea and gently closing my nostrils with my fingers, playacting decision making processes as to what to do next with this hygiene-deficient human. I then move into coolly portraying sympathy for someone who has no idea how badly they smell, showing more compassion for their rudeness, which I assume is a cover for their insecurity due to their oppressive odor.

Schizoid rich pigs hate their bodies - ALWAYS - so this psy op can work like a motherfucking charm.

If it's a rich man pig, I examine their hair plugs in addition to the odor-op.

by Anonymousreply 3109/15/2013

I work in European boutique. Sorry my English not so good. One day, an African American lady came in. She was in a sweatsuit! Here, we do not even go to grocery store dressed that way. She wanted to see purse on high shelf. I showed her similar purse on low shelf. I was in a tight dress and heels! I could not climb to get purse! Next thing I know, I am on TV and being called racist!

by Anonymousreply 3209/15/2013

I have fired an employee because of a customer complaint. His attitude had been becoming a problem anyway and I wasn't sorry to see him go, but I probably wouldn't have had to fire him without the complaint.

It definitely sent a strong message to the rest of my employees and they were on their best behavior for weeks after.

And it had to be said: R30 you sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 3309/15/2013

I worked in retail for 40years, and this situation reared its ugly head occasionally. I never could understand the people who make such a statement, are they seriously asking for a person to lose their livelihood, the thing that keeps a roof over their head and food in their belly? And all because of a slight to their oh-so-precious ego? There are better, more adult ways to solve this particular dust-up, putting someone out on the street is not the way to go. The frigging gall of these Red Queens simply amazes me.

by Anonymousreply 3409/15/2013

I currently work in clothing retail, and I generally like to provide a positive, pleasant experience for our customers, but the fangs always come out when they refuse to understand company policies that I have absolutely no control over. The BEST is when they request to speak to a manager, and the manager ends up repeating everything I've said. Of course, the customer will whine (less bitchily than before, but much more childishly), and the manager gives them what they want. And, I, of course end up looking like an incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 3509/15/2013

I sort of tried once. I don't remember all the specifics because I was drunk.

by Anonymousreply 3609/15/2013

I hate that. When it's understood that if someone asks for something, they can have it always, but just as a first line of defense the CSRs don't have authority to provide it and are instructed to stonewall at first if asked for it. Way to support your people. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3709/15/2013

R37, that is one of the reasons that the people who make the decisions are usually not in the same building. Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, the stores business office and buying office were in the same building. It was unusual for a customer to demand to speak to the buyer or president of the company. And, quite often, the customer did get to speak to them. Of course this was also when the buying office was usually expected to spend a certain number of hours on the floor each week to get a feel of what the customers wanted rather than reading the report from some think tank.

by Anonymousreply 3809/15/2013

Can you believe that people used to be able to walk into the White House and air their grievances?

by Anonymousreply 3909/15/2013

Years ago I was a manager at a video retailer. One of my people explained to the customer that we don't accept returns of opened product. The guy became adamant, and the counter person called me over. I had gone through this speech a million times before. "We are not Blockbuster. We can't allow people to buy a video, decide they don't like it and return it. But we will make an exception once. Let me do that return for you."

I got to the counter and started to explain. "We are not Blockbuster. We can't allow people to buy a video, decide they don't like it and return it..." And at that point the guy interrupted and said (loudly) "I don't want your life story! Are you going to take it back, yes or no."

I said, "Then no."

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2013

My friend used to work at Lord & Taylor selling cosmetics. The sales staff was trained to be very aggressive. She said, basically it was like telling women they were ugly unless they bought your products.

When a customer was pushed too far and got pissed, the store would go as far as firing the employee in front of the customer. Then the employee would take a couple days off and return to work. If the complaining customer saw that employee, the excuse was the employee had some hardships and was given a second chance.

by Anonymousreply 4109/15/2013

[quote]They had no one to replace them (this was 1975).

What a timely story.

Did restaurants even have running water that long ago?

by Anonymousreply 4209/15/2013

I used to work at a photo shop where you could reject prints you didn't want. An older woman came in with her grandson and dropped off a roll. They were sex photos of her with an older gentleman. When she returned, we handed them to her discreetly packaged. She proceeded to spread them out on the counter to look at them all, to our horror. Her grandson started picking them up to look at them. He said something to her, and she didn't even look up or pay him any attention. She just said 'Yup, that's grandma. See grandma?' and kept sorting through the prints.

by Anonymousreply 4309/15/2013

I work in a photolab in a big box store, and usually interacting with customers is benign, sometimes pleasant. Last week an older lady came in. She was rude, but soon it became clear that something was 'off.' My manager pulled me aside and told me she was a paranoid schizophrenic.

She went on about how sheep's brains are used to control thoughts or some such nonsense. I was nervous talking to her and I guess I was biting my lip, and looking away from her, which she interpreted as some sort of 'signal.' It ended with her telling me if she found out her photos had been duplicated that I "was toast." She also insulted a pregnant customer. Afterwards I found out that my co-workers all had encounters with her. She called later on to speak to the manager, probably trying to get me fired. My first experience with mental illness, and sadly, probably not my last.

by Anonymousreply 4409/15/2013

She's not gonna have you fired... she's gonna find you outside of work and cut you.

Anyone have scary off hours stories to tell of run ins with crazies from the shop?

by Anonymousreply 4509/15/2013

That's a great technique that more people should use that might make them feel better about having to work retail! Especially when looking at hair plugs that the customer can afford, which probably costs more than our monthly salary.

Then again it must also suck to pretend someone stinks like shit and yet you still have to serve them.

Oh, well, whatever works for you! Now get me this sweater in navy and green, and smile while doing it. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4609/15/2013

OMG there's nothing worse than a rich elderly person with a bottle of perfume or cologne. Please, do not encourage their behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4709/15/2013

R45, it's R44. A co-worker told me she was out with her boyfriend, saw the crazy customer and the woman accused her of spying on her. She also chased the manager outside the store. She's an older woman, and also missing one hand, so I'm not too concerned. She seems to be nasty to anyone she comes into contact with.

That same co-worker likes to write in red ink, the woman saw that and accused her of trying to kill her, because she wrote in red ink.

by Anonymousreply 4809/15/2013

[quote]Anyone have scary off hours stories to tell of run ins with crazies from the shop?

Years ago, I went shopping and made some pretty large purchases (probably over $10,000 in clothing). The Sales Associate was friendly and chatty (he knew he was going to make a huge commission so that's what I chalked it up to).

When it came time to ring me up and charge my card, he said he needed my number to process the charge. I thought it was odd, but didn't want to argue.

An hour after I left the store, he started calling me repeatedly. At first it was to make sure I was satisfied with my purchases, etc. Soon it evolved into him trying to have personal discussions about what our days were like, etc. I would never really engage him and just stopped answering his calls. He'd leave me long voicemail messages and then start asking me out, etc. This went on for months and I'd never answer.

Towards the end, he started getting violent and started demented screaming into the voicemail about why I wasn't taking his calls. I changed my number.

by Anonymousreply 4909/15/2013

What a petty insult, R42. Does showing contempt for others make you feel better about yourself?

I'm sure your passive aggressive tendencies have created problems for you in many aspects of your day to day life.

by Anonymousreply 5009/15/2013

R50, I don't think that you can fairly call R42/R51 passive aggressive. I think he's just an out and out bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5209/15/2013

R52 Yeah. Where's the "passive"?

by Anonymousreply 5309/15/2013

R2 is so impressed with her comments she graciously repeated them four hours later at R34. Or did the poor dear simply forget? Honey, God help you if you forget that I am waiting to try those new Manolos in size 6.

by Anonymousreply 5409/15/2013

Sarcasm is a common tool of a passive aggressive person who expresses his hostility aloud. Anonymous message boards are probably the only places where he feels a modicum of power.

But yes, I suppose you could also say he's just an out and out bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5509/15/2013

Damn, R49. Did you tell the store manager?

by Anonymousreply 5609/15/2013

I just started a job a few months ago and thank god the bastard who started the company and ran it for twelve years quit a month after I started. He turned the business over to his second-in-command, but he still has his hand in it to a certain extent. He tried to make a totally unnecessary demand of me when I was busy so I ignored it. He emailed me back, "Let me make this clear, if for some delusional reason you think you have no responsibility to answer me, you will have been wrongly mistaken and will reap the consequences" so I emailed the person who I now work for and said that his bullying was childish and unacceptable. She emailed him back and called him every name in the book and said that she really likes me and that I make her job easier and if he ever emails me again he will have her to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 5709/15/2013

Sorry R57, but it was foolish of you to "ignore" the man because you deemed his request unnecessary after only having worked at this job for a few months. You sound like a prisspot with a brittle ego.

It will all come back to bite you in the ass eventually, mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 5809/15/2013

I've worked in retail for a very long time.

I can't remember one time where an customer said "I'm going to get your fired..." and the employee ending up being fired.

I know plenty of times where customer complaints ended up with the employee getting fired.

I might try and placate an loud obnoxious customer just to get them the hell out of the store - but fire someone based upon that behavior. Nope

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2013

I've fired people if there have been repeated instances of poor customer service. We take it seriously when customers complain and use the feedback to improve. Most unhappy customers (9 out of 10) will not complain....they just won't come back.

by Anonymousreply 6009/15/2013

Ummm, let me see, R58, should I cater to an asshole who is making ridiculous demands for his personal ego trip or should I do important work that is due to go out that evening for the person who is actually paying my check???

by Anonymousreply 6109/15/2013

r54 Thank you for noticing, cupcake. Do you want those shoes on your feet, or put where the sun don't shine?

by Anonymousreply 6209/15/2013

R61 - in my experience both.

by Anonymousreply 6309/15/2013

I didn't mind Karen's jokes to poor Smitty on Will & Grace, but about the only un-funny thing that ever came out of her mouth was when she talked about having people fired.

It seemed out of character, too; Karen wouldn't spend the time it would take to can someone.

by Anonymousreply 6409/15/2013

R63 agreed.

Life and work aren't always fair.

by Anonymousreply 6509/15/2013

My partner and I were taking our dog to an expensive veterinarian hospital for rehabilitation after she suffered from a catastrophic event in her spine. We spent a couple thousand there in a couple months. We were there everyday practically and somehow befriended their afternoon cleaning girl/supply stocker. The first time we ever hung out with her was at a gay club, and she told us she was stealing from the vet office. She was pretty dumb for sharing the info with us, because we had just met her, and second, we were very loyal to this vet hospital's staff for taking such good care of our dog. I chewed on it for a couple weeks and ended up telling the head of staff about it because it didn't sit well with me whatsoever. She was terminated and she hates our guts with a passion. Oh, and our dog is completely healed and able to walk again so that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 6609/15/2013

Ridiculous examples, r3.

by Anonymousreply 6709/15/2013

I usually let most things go but if I get really bad service, I will write an email. If I get really good service, I do the same.

I did have a few negative experiences at a small, independent bookstore in NYC where the same clerk was rude time and again. I wrote a letter to the store manager who replied.

Later, at a book fair, she saw me and came up and told me they'd let her go. I had not been the only one to complain about her.

by Anonymousreply 6809/15/2013

I only ignored it for an hour or so while I completed a previous assignment. It wasn't like it was a whole day. And it was not client-related, he just wanted copies of some invoices that had been paid.

I'm paid to proactively accomplish the important work first. It is my decision and no one looks over my shoulder. My current boss apologized for him being an asshole. This is an excerpt of the email she sent him: "On what planet do you think you exist that you can talk to people like you did to her (vial email of course because no one would actually let those words come out of their mouth). I like her and she makes my life easier. You do not when you send emails like the one you did. If you have a problem you call or email me."

Also, when he makes requests of other people he is cordial and he asks them to do something when they have a chance. The original email he sent to me was curt and rude and demanding.

by Anonymousreply 6909/15/2013

R69 was from R57. BTW the person I replaced lasted four months and quit because he is such a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 7009/15/2013

A saleswoman at B. Altman was fired for saying "what do you expect for fifty dollars?" when a customer complained that a coat with loops had no belt.

by Anonymousreply 7109/15/2013

I did.

with a costco phone rep who said i was "asking leading questions" and then slammed the phone on me.

i called back and reminded them i was a member.

by Anonymousreply 7209/15/2013

R58, wtf?

First you say you "can't remember one time where an customer said "I'm going to get your fired..." and the employee ending up being fired."

Then, in the very next paragraph, you say "I know plenty of times where customer complaints ended up with the employee getting fired."

Which is it, you nutbar?

by Anonymousreply 7309/15/2013

No, I didn't report it to the Manager because at first, it seemed innocent enough. By the time he had gotten really creepy and weird, it was a months later and I didn't think to contact the store.

About a year ago or so, he did find me on Facebook and sent me a Friend Request and a message that acted like we were old friends and everything was cool. I ignored it.

by Anonymousreply 7409/15/2013

R74, are you male or female?

by Anonymousreply 7509/15/2013

by Anonymousreply 7609/15/2013

So who had to copy the invoices? Did you end up having to do it?

by Anonymousreply 7709/15/2013

R74 - A customer can register a sound rational complaint with management which may lead to the employee being fired.

However a customer that makes a threat to get someone fired, in my experience, is not taken seriously by management.

Not all customer complaints are not created equal.

The two statements aren't contradictory.

by Anonymousreply 7809/15/2013

People, it's not just retail. At the very large, very well-known international corporation I used to work for, any shit-for-brains manager on an ego trip and a lot of various co-workers constantly threatened each other.

"You fucked up my project - I'm going to get you fired" (nevermind that it was their stupidity and inability to make a decision that led to the failure of the project in the first place).

"You deliberately mishandled that request to delay my project" (well, it sat on your desk for a month before you decided it was important enough to look at).

And on and on. Constantly finger pointing, lying and back biting just to try and "move up".

by Anonymousreply 7909/15/2013

R78 I think you meant that for R73.

And R73 the way I read that statement was that the person had never experienced an actual firing from someone making one complaint, however, he had seen enough complaints add up to a firing.

by Anonymousreply 8009/15/2013

I did, R77, after I had finished the time sensitive work that needed to go out by the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 8109/15/2013

R81 that sucks. After all that he wins because at the end of the day you still had to be his bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8209/15/2013

It doesn't suck because it was my job. I won because I did it when it was convenient for me and my boss backed me up. If quitting time had arrived before I got to it I would not have stayed to do it - it just wasn't that important.

by Anonymousreply 8309/15/2013

So true r79. I had a weird experience where I'd applied for a job at a large company but they had a hiring freeze on at the time so I ended up at a small family business. I worked there for about a year and then got called to grand jury duty which was daily for a month. Long story short the original job I'd applied for came thru while I was on jury duty and the owner of the family business had a fit when I told her I wasn't coming back. She screamed at me calling me a liar and a thief and said she knew people at my new company and was going to be sure I was fired. I told my new boss this story as soon as I started and he just laughed it off. Never heard from the witch again although she did try to withhold my final paycheck for a time.

There are bad employees but there are bad employers too. Sometimes the problems start at the top.

by Anonymousreply 8409/15/2013

Don't kid yourself R83 you didn't win anything. You still had to do what he wanted and you always will, he wins.

You sound really naive so I'm going to break it down for you. You are disposable, he is not. He was the former owner and your boss keeps him around. There's a reason for it. She either needs his connections or he has some sort of influence that can make her a success or a failure.

You got lucky that she probably needed you to get whatever she needed done immediately and there was no on else to do it. Next time, and there will be a next time, you won't be so fortunate. You will end up having to do some stupid thing that he says on a whim, or you'll be let go. You better believe she's going to keep you over him.

I doubt she sent that email. That's typical stuff done to make someone like you feel better.

by Anonymousreply 8509/15/2013

R84 - I'd never hire someone who didn't give proper notice to his/her current employer, without good reason. Doing it while on jury duty or vacation or sick leave isn't proper notice.

I'd never take a job where they wouldn't let me give proper notice to my current employer.

Unless there was a documented conflict of interest to which both sides agreed.

Not having to give proper notice is almost always an indication your suck at your job.

A company that hires without notice almost always means they don't treat staff well.

by Anonymousreply 8609/15/2013

*she isn't going to keep you over him.

by Anonymousreply 8709/15/2013

R3, you're obviously giving examples of conduct that would get someone fired due to breaching company policy. This thread is more about spoiled little cunts who think they wield some sort of power when they do not get their way.

by Anonymousreply 8809/15/2013

[quote]Not having to give proper notice is almost always an indication your suck at your job.

Well if you mean my former boss you're right about that. The witch wanted those of us who were supervisors to take the office trash home with us and dispose of it on our dime so she didn't have to pay for garbage pickup. Get the picture?

I was told I'd gotten the new job about 2 weeks into jury duty. I couldn't have gone back to my old job for another 2 weeks even if I wanted to and there would have been no point in doing so even if I could have. It was a low level entry job and if they couldn't replace me in the two weeks I had to be gone one way or another that says more about them than me.

By the way, I've done quite well in the new job and have been promoted several times. And they don't ask me to take the office trash home with me either. Imagine that!

by Anonymousreply 8909/15/2013

I staffed a committee for a small California city I worked for. One of the committee members didn't like me and wrote a letter to one of the city council members demanding that I be fired. The council member wrote back, saying in effect that the complaints were stupid.

He ended the letter by saying if this person was going to complain about me again he at least spell my name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 9009/15/2013

Closest I came was at Best Buy once, where the guy was so pushy that I complained to the manager about it. He replied that the guy was a new hire, and I inferred that a couple of more comments like mine and he'd be an ex-hire.

by Anonymousreply 9109/16/2013

R85, the reason that the former owner is kept around is probably a formality. It is quite common to have a clause in the sale documents that requires the former owner to remain as a consultant for a certain period of time. This serves two purposes. It requires the former owner to be available during the transition period and it prevents the former owner from working for a competitor or starting a competing business.

The former owner has sold the company. He has no power. The problem with this situation is that often the former owners just will not let go. This sounds like the case here.

by Anonymousreply 9209/16/2013

My mother once fired a house cleaner on the spot when she walked in on her vacuuming with one hand and reading a magazine with the other. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 9309/16/2013

I worked in a bookstore and many times customers would yell that they would have either myself or a co-worker fired because of some ridiculous reason that was usually their own fault. Things like not being able to return a book that was obviously damaged by them or not having a receipt (one guy threw his book at me when I explained we could not do a return due to his not having a receipt).

The best complaints were when we would get a phone call complaining about the "clerk" who the customer said was either rude, uncooperative, mean, stupid or some such issue and demanded to speak to the manager and when they described the person they were complaining about it WAS the manager.

by Anonymousreply 9409/16/2013

If you wee being harassed with anti-gay comments because you are gay by employees, and this has been going on for longer than a year, is this reason enough to complain to management?

by Anonymousreply 9509/16/2013

[quote] This serves two purposes. It requires the former owner to be available during the transition period and it prevents the former owner from working for a competitor or starting a competing business.

Which means the current owner still needs the former owner not to get pissed off or screw him/her over which still means the person who was complaining above will have to do whatever the former owner wants because the current owner needs the former owner not to fuck over the company.

by Anonymousreply 9609/16/2013

Wrong R96 It means the new owners have control over the old owner and even more clout if the old owner tries to screw over the new owners. The only thing that the new owner needs from the old owner is to keep him contained and silent, all of which can be done as long as the old owner is still working for the company.

by Anonymousreply 9709/16/2013

Wrong R97 the answer is in your own response. The new owner needs the old owner to shut up and stay silent. If it takes making a low-level assistant do stupid shit to keep the old owner happy, they're going to make the assistant do it. The old owner is more valuable than the new assistant until they can get rid of the old owner.

by Anonymousreply 9809/16/2013

R96 has it right. They don't want the previous owner bad mouthing or screwing the business over. If it takes making the guy happy (and quiet) by making the DL'er who posted miserable, they'll ultimately do it. And the old owner isn't done yet. Someone like that has control issues and will try to assert it again. Next time, they'll let him.

by Anonymousreply 9909/16/2013

Obviously, most of you have never been in a situation where an old owner has been retained as a consultant. Nobody is going to fire anyone because of what the has been says, thinks, or does. He will be told to go play in the corner and shut up, as I believe the original poster's boss did.

by Anonymousreply 10009/16/2013

Wrong. I have. Countless times.

And I'm not saying they're going to fire the person, but they will make them do whatever petty thing the asshole comes up with to shut him up. Seems like you're the one that hasn't been around enough situations where making the low level assistant do grunt work is easier than dealing with a loud mouth SOB.

by Anonymousreply 10109/16/2013

[quote]where making the low level assistant do grunt work is easier than dealing with a loud mouth SOB.

That's the truth. The OP already stated she had to end up doing it later. I too doubt that the email to the past owner was ever sent. That seems like one of those things already discussed here. Where you tell the angry customer you're going to have a talk to the shitty salesperson and/or fire them, but it's just something you say you're doing to make the customer (in this case OP) feel better.

by Anonymousreply 10209/16/2013

I work in an upscale restaurant on 2nd Ave in the 50's in NYC. Yesterday, some nut came in 1/2 before her reservation and demanded to be sat. The hostess said that she was a little early, and that the table would be ready in 1/2 hour. The woman went crazy: "How dare you! this was supposed to be a special anniversary dinner for my husband and I, and this experience is quickly going down hill." At that point the manager appeared. "Why thank you!" She said. "Now, can I be seated, and can you FIRE this stupid hostess?" At that the manager said: " You have to leave MY restaurant RIGHT NOW!"

by Anonymousreply 10309/16/2013

I will have to do the petty things that the old owner wants me to do because that is my job. But, I will do it on my own terms. My new boss (the new owner) supports me completely. This all happened a month ago and I have not heard from him since. I am in no danger of being fired because of him. If he needs something, he will ask my new boss and she will have me do it if and when I have time.

He just likes to puff himself up and sound important. The reason he doesn't like me is because he knows I don't fall for his BS and I won't kowtow to him and his silliness.

by Anonymousreply 10409/16/2013

[quote]he reason he doesn't like me is because he knows I don't fall for his BS and I won't kowtow to him and his silliness.

Judging from your previous posts he has a lot of other reasons not to like you.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!