Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Red Lobster ‘None N*gger’ Customer Receiving Threats, Denies Writing Racial Slur

I still think this girl wrote the word herself because she was pissed that he didn't tip her. We had a receipt hoax last year.

Whoopsie! For those of you following the story of the Red Lobster server, Toni Jenkins, who was left a receipt with no tip and a racial epithet, it turns out the name of the customer was printed on the receipt, in addition to his signature, and has spread around the Internet. That exposure of confidential information is why the server had to be suspended. The suspension didn’t last through the week; in fact the server is back to her regular schedule, not having missed a day of work. The customer, however, isn’t happy.

The restaurant claims they have their employee’s back. A spokesman told the publication Consumerist that:

We were in constant communication with her over the past several days and have extended her a high degree of respect and caring for what happened. No one should have to endure what our employee went through last weekend.

The customer — now known to be Devin Barnes — also had something to say, but he said it through his lawyer. Attorney Richard Dugger provided NBC News with an apology letter from Barnes that he said was handwritten by the young man. In it, Barnes said he wrote ‘none’ on the ‘tip’ line and signed the receipt, but did not write the racial slur in the ‘total’ category. In his opinion, someone else wrote the slur after he left. He also wrote:

I do not approve of the use of that type of talk, not now or ever!!!

Attorney Dugger added:

Whoever put that on that receipt was very wrong. Just as putting that receipt on the World Wide Internet was wrong. Two wrongs never make a right.

Dugger can be seen in the NBC interview here.

In her own defense, server Toni Jenkins told The New York Daily News that she didn’t intend to harm the guy. She posted the receipt to Facebook for her friends to see — but the danger in that action is exactly what resulted. Things go viral. Now both Jenkins and Barnes have received threats over the incident.

Jenkins added:

I can only imagine what he’s [Barnes'] going through because he’s on the other end. I don’t wish anything bad against him at all … I don’t want anymore drama in my life. I just want to go to work, get the money for a car and go to school … That’s all.

Unfortunately, lawyers are now involved — because one can only assume that Red Lobster felt obliged to call in their own, though they’ve yet to respond to the apology letter. While it would be some kind of happy ending for there to be no more drama, that’s probably not how it’s going to work out. Someone will need, or want, to sort out what really happened, now that two sides have been told. That sorting out could very well occur in a court of law, thanks to the pitfalls of Facebook.

If the rest of us aren’t taking notes yet, maybe it’s time to start.

by Anonymousreply 10310/12/2013

Why would the N be written differently in each word?

It could also be someone else in the party who wrote it and not the guy who signed it b

by Anonymousreply 409/15/2013

I better leave big tips now. She's probably a hero to waitresses everywhere. lol

by Anonymousreply 509/15/2013

Is there any question that she wrote it?

by Anonymousreply 609/15/2013

She works hard for no money.

by Anonymousreply 709/15/2013

Ever think if servers were paid LIVING wages, there wouldn't be a need to depend on tips?

A friend's brother owns about 12 diners, he is very wealthy. This man's lazy wife, who does not work, has a maid and a nanny! She shops and goes to the gym daily.

How about spreading that wealth to his diner workers, no, that would be too easy and decent.

Face it, most wealthy people are greedy entitled bastards.

by Anonymousreply 809/15/2013

r2, she posted it on Facebook first, then when she got in trouble with Red Lobster, she took it down. Then her father re-posted it.

I'm 99.9% certain she did it to get back at him for writing "none" in the tip line.

by Anonymousreply 909/15/2013

What a weird and depressing case.

If it comes to it, I wonder if they could bring in a graphologist (professional handwriting analyst) to eliminate any of the parties involved.

(I'm not clear if that kind of analysis is considered permissible in court. Is it similar to lie detector feedback??)

by Anonymousreply 1009/15/2013

btw, who the heck leaves a tip for a take out order?

Unless the food is delivered to your home, not many people leave tips for take out orders.

How many people leave tips on take out orders at diners, Chinese take out places, McDonald's etc.

Didn't the waitress state they requested a take out order? Am I missing something? Did they sit down, then order take out? If so, that doesn't make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 1109/15/2013

More internet outrage over a shabby case with the "evidence" being picked over by angry people.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2013

Here's what happened: she took too long to serve them so they got fed up and asked for the food to go and didn't leave a tip; she responded by forging the N-word on the receipt.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2013

Waiters and waitresses really make jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2013

I think R13 has it right.

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2013

R13 is right and that's really depressing. But it's getting to be commonplace to make false accusations like this against people online. He had no reason to write a racial slur. Writing "none" on the tip line means just that. She was pissed and thought she'd make this up, and it got carried beyond her FB page. Terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2013

I don't think the accusation is false.

Restaurant servers are not dealing with just one customer. For a customer not to leave a receipt, the server is not likely going to get bent out shape, dwell on it for the remainder of the day, and then return home to falsify a credit-card receipt just prior to having it posted on the Internet. A restaurant server gets no tip -- that server moves on to the next customer.

I believe this was a racist incident.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2013

R17 - I have no idea what happened here.

But you must have worked with some pretty exceptional wait staff.

I waited tables in high school and college - and believe me when we got stiffed on a tip we didn't let it go and move on.

In my experience you stiff wait staff, if you go back to that restaurant you better hope no one recognizes you.

by Anonymousreply 1809/15/2013

First off, I never write 'none' on the tip line, I write 'cash', and rewrite the subtotal amount as the total. Even on a take away order, which I give a very small tip or none.

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2013

R18,

You're right! If you don't tip waitstaff, they'll do horrible things to your food next tmie.

Same if you complain about the food.

Same if your date is hot/someone they want or even just more attractive than them.

Same if they don't like your clothes or attitude.

Same if they're having a bad day.

The real question is who is stupid enough to let someone else handle their food in a day and age where supermarket food that can be beated and eaten is restaurant-quality.

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2013

Can someone please explain why you think this is bullshit? Other than "No one would be stupid enough to do this." Because if you've worked in customer service, you know people are stupid enough to do it.

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2013

R21 - look at the receipt. The writing of the first word looks different than the second.

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2013

[quote]"Just as putting that receipt on the World Wide Internet was wrong. "

Some lawyer he's got there. WTF is the "World Wide Internet"?

by Anonymousreply 2309/15/2013

R20 - are being serious?

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2013

Maybe the card holder didn't write it but someone in his party did? I mean, the way they treated her....it's obvious they thought of her as less than.

by Anonymousreply 2609/15/2013

R13 is spot on. That's why she is back tracking and saying not to make a big deal out of it. That's also why Red Lobster has not commented.

by Anonymousreply 2709/15/2013

I heard of waitresses who used to all pull stuff in the drinks to give eaters the shits if they were rude.

by Anonymousreply 2909/15/2013

Well, r28, if you're going to give someone the benefit of doubt, by all means, give it to the non-tipping white customers.

I mean, if she's such a horrible worker, Red Lobster would have fired her. But they did not.

So again, don't give the black female the benefit of doubt.

by Anonymousreply 3009/15/2013

You people are fucking delusional if you don't think this kind of shit doesn't happen, especially in the south, ALL THE TIME.

The oldergay, racist freepers here are out of control. Knock it off.

by Anonymousreply 3109/15/2013

the racists are imbeciles

by Anonymousreply 3209/15/2013

R21 Because it's a black woman. So of course she's automatically lazy and has a bad attitude. And of course she made the whole thing up. And I love the "writing looks different" excuse. Watching murder she wrote and law and order reruns does not make you a graphologist. People go to school for that sort of thing.

You know if this had been a white gay man who had gotten a slur receipt, posters would be screaming their heads off and having tantrums like kids over having the slightest bit of doubt that the customer didn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 3309/15/2013

FWIW, I don't think the waitress did it. I can definitely see white douchebags doing something like this, especially if they've had a few.

I could be wrong, of course. Wouldn't be the first time. I just don't think a waitress would be this stupid. I was a waiter once, and while, yes, you don't forget lousy tippers (until the next day), doing something like this is just too stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3409/15/2013

She was stupid enough to post it on her FB, R35, so I'm thinking she's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

by Anonymousreply 3509/15/2013

No R31, it's just that we've all been through this countless times before. The same pattern. And the link is to NPR, not some freeper site.

by Anonymousreply 3609/15/2013

Justice for Tawana!

by Anonymousreply 3709/15/2013

When asked if she had spit in that customer's food, the waitress replied 'I might have, bitch!'

by Anonymousreply 3909/15/2013

R31, do you really think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the couple may have gotten slow, poor service from a young woman on a busy night?

Is racist hatred the only possible explanation for why two people who took a table in a dining room ended up asking for the food to go and then left quickly without leaving a tip?

You weren't there and you have no idea how long she left them waiting without service.

R35, you can see white douchebags doing this. I can see a black douchebag doing it too. There are liars and racists among all races and colors.

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2013

R24,

As serious as a pissed-off waiter who wants to fuck your date.

I roomed with a waiter in NYC for six weeks. We grew up togegther. He told horror stories later repeated on wbesites like Stained Apron.

Anyone who eats in restauratns is an idiot. Even if they aren't malicious, you think they're going to waste food in borderline situations? I only eat from places with very high turnover, like popoular chinese takeout or something, where they barely have time to fill the orders, let alone mess with them, and where you know the food's replaced every day or two.

Hermetically sealed or boxed frozen food from 7-11 is also cool, as well as things like Lloyd's Ribs from the supermarket.

I'd never eat at a chain even with your money.

by Anonymousreply 4209/15/2013

Racists always deny being racists.

by Anonymousreply 4309/15/2013

R39: that is VERY interesting, what you suggest. Other's opinions on R39? Might well be on tosomething.

by Anonymousreply 4409/15/2013

R31 is the kind of cretin who thinks he's not racist, even though he's the one who stereotypes all black people as angels. The WORSE kind of racist, frankly.

She did it. As someone has stated, that's why she's backtracking and trying to minimize it and make it go away. The two words do not look the same. She faked it.

No one here said that racism doesn't exist. But this is clearly faked.

by Anonymousreply 4509/15/2013

R26 - I posted that wait staff don't forget if you stiff them - and good luck going back to that place.

But I spent enough time working in restaurants to know you are overreacting. Based upon your assessment we should have pandemic levels of food poisoning. Which of course we don't.

It is interesting that you seem to think wait staff are so interested in fucking your dates.

by Anonymousreply 4609/15/2013

I can't stand those individuals who believe that you can't be racist against whites.

I lived in New Orleans for some time pre-Katrina. I did my best to frequent establishments where I knew there would not be an issue. But sometimes you don't get to pick the drug store you have to stop by, or there are new hires, or whatever.

I am going to give you one tactic that I saw a number of times during my time there. There were others, but we'll stick with one. This one involves a young African American woman working a cash register at a retail establishment. Another individual, also African American is required to make it work. The second person stands in line, gets to the counter, and proceeds to have a long drawn out conversation with the checkout lady. During this time, she will under no circumstances ring up white people. Heaven help you if you try. Now, if you are black, you go up to her and she will ring you up while she continues her conversation. So a line of white people would start to build. Except if you were familiar with this you said 'Fuck it' and left. This usually only happens when there is a manager on hand who is either down with it or is too much of a pussy to fight it.

New Orleans was the most racist city I have lived in, and I've lived all over the country. The racism went both pays, but let me tell you, the Blacks gave it to the Whites as much as they got it. I will never set foot in that city again. I hated it for a bunch of different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 4709/15/2013

So many blacks think calling whites racists and saying they used the "N word" is having some sort of power and leverage over whites. In reality, all it does is dilutes the severity of actual racist occurances to the point where fewer people give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 4809/15/2013

[quote]So many blacks think calling whites racists and saying they used the "N word" is having some sort of power and leverage over whites. In reality, all it does is dilutes the severity of actual racist occurrences to the point where fewer people give a shit

Can we do a reality check here?

Most of the time it's true.

Take for example the Paula Deen case. Whatever you think of the outcome - no one is denying the facts of the case.

Do you honestly think the entire Obama birth certificate debacle would have happened if Obama had been white?

Look at the NYC stop and frisk program.

Or look at marijuana arrests.

by Anonymousreply 4909/15/2013

I smell bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 5009/15/2013

With the B in the face!

As opposed to getting the D in the face...

by Anonymousreply 5109/15/2013

R50, can you imagine a senator yelling, "you lie" at GWB during his state of the union?

The irony is that he did lie.

Did anybody criticize GWB for taking so many vacations? Or question the clothes worn by the first family during his presidency?

Or for letting America get attacked by terrorists?

Or not getting OBL?

Has anybody been "Dixie Chicked" for insulting Obama during war?

Did he put on a jumpsuit and flaunt "Mission Accomplished" after getting OBL?

Did the right give him any credit for that at all?

by Anonymousreply 5309/15/2013

Sure, we can do a realiy check here. You just named very legitimate, mostly, instances of racism. But on a smaller, more plebian, level many blacks would rather call racism than look at a situation that is not favoring them objectively. After that's pulled so many times the public stops being so concerned when an authentic instanceof racism happens. I work with the public and many times I've had to deal with pricks who think there's an alterior motive for the situation not turning out the way they think it should, and blacks just happen to think it's racism. I had to turn a walk-in away last Tuesday evening simply because we were booked and the gay couple made remark to me that their daughter was refused service because she has two dads. Absolutely not! There quite plainly was no time.

Perhaps this waitress was fearing a complaint from the patron because her service was lacking and scribing the word on the receipt might save her job.

by Anonymousreply 5509/15/2013

And when you get that all African American jury R55, good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 5609/15/2013

[quote] who think there's an alterior motive

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5709/15/2013

Or she just wanted the attention. Facebook has become a bizarre place where people make all sorts of claims hoping to garner sympathy. She saw an opportunity and took it. It escalated, and now she wants to back out of it. This is pretty simple to figure out, really. Except for the kneejerk few who think that we can never doubt anything that any person of color ever says. Which is ridiculous, reactionary, and racist in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 5809/15/2013

If God provides, why is she even working?

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2013

It sounds like they waited a long time for her to wait on them. Why would the customer ask for the order to be packed to go unless they had a long wait. Doubtful that he wrote that on a receipt and then hires a lawyer. She says she is not interested in money but is saving for a car. 19 year olds want the money. She is lying about this.

by Anonymousreply 6009/15/2013

[quote]But on a smaller, more plebian, level many blacks would rather call racism than look at a situation that is not favoring them objectively. After that's pulled so many times the public stops being so concerned when an authentic instance of racism happens.

You honestly think the incidence of false claims of racism is substantial?

As I pointed out the verified cases of racism are vast.

Go ahead give us data on false claims of racism that approach the same level as the Stop and Frisk example. Or the overwhelming racial bias the ACLU found in marijuana possession arrests.

[quote]If im this customer i sue Red Lobster, i sue the waitress, i get hand writing experts involved. This bitch obviously wants this to go away cuse she fucked up but i would really turn the screws on red lobster and her until she fesses up.

Maybe that isn't happening because the story is true.

by Anonymousreply 6109/15/2013

How do you put endless shrimp in a box?

by Anonymousreply 6209/15/2013

Since bitching because store policy won't change to suit you because of your race or whining that your race is why bad behavior isn't tolerated aren't documented for statistics your point of documented cases of racism is moot. It's menial, baseless claims of racism that discourage people from caring about legit occurances. Cry wolf and your flock is in danger.

by Anonymousreply 6309/15/2013

R62, please do us all a favor and STFU. Seriously.

Just because there's 'vast' evidence of racism, that does not mean that every claim is true. People lie, dear, even black people. Because they're PEOPLE you see, and PEOPLE aren't always honest. You're the worse kind of racist, the one who thinks he's 'helping'.

by Anonymousreply 6409/15/2013

[quote]Since bitching because store policy won't change to suit you because of your race or whining that your race is why bad behavior isn't tolerated aren't documented for statistics your point of documented cases of racism is moot. It's menial, baseless claims of racism that discourage people from caring about legit occurances. Cry wolf and your flock is in danger.

So in other words you have no evidence and have basically made the entire thing up.

Let me try your line of thinking to refute your claim.

You're wrong the number of cases where someone falsely claims are insignificant. It hardly every happens. It isn't important. It has no meaning. It's all made up.

by Anonymousreply 6509/15/2013

[quote] [quote]Just because there's 'vast' evidence of racism, that does not mean that every claim is true. People lie, dear, even black people. Because they're PEOPLE you see, and PEOPLE aren't always honest. You're the worse kind of racist, the one who thinks he's 'helping

Who said false claims of racism don't happen.

I said there are not a substantial number of false claims. Especially when compared to the vast number of documented cases of racism.

As I continue to point out. No one can provide any evidence to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 6609/15/2013

Why do some people drag God into everything?

by Anonymousreply 6709/15/2013

R67, prove otherwise. Show me that almost all claims of racism by individuals are exactly what they are said to be. Start with Tawana Brawley, then work your way to the present.

The fact is that just because MOST claims may have some merit, it doesn't remotely mean they ALL do.

Honestly, you're just a troll.

by Anonymousreply 6809/15/2013

R30 Yeah, Darden is going to fire a poor, single black girl, who's claiming racist abuse.

So closet-case Alma Sharpton can start the protests and shake them down for millions.

That's what Darden is going to do.

Lie detectors, miss and mister?

by Anonymousreply 6909/16/2013

R46 is a trailer dwelling, repulsive, troglodytic, backward, venom spewing MORON.

by Anonymousreply 7009/16/2013

You seem to be missing the point.

There are well substantiated claims of racism in the United States today.

The number of well substantiated false claims of racism don't come near to comparing to the substantiated claims of racism.

That is fact.

Now if you have actually stats on false claims of racism share them. No one has yet.

Is the single incident of the Red Lobster claim true or false. I don't don't know.

But it doesn't matter. So stop acting like it does.

by Anonymousreply 7109/17/2013

We're talking about the Red Lobster claim, so whether it's true or false is relevant.

The thread title isn't about the state of racism in the country or something.

by Anonymousreply 7209/17/2013

[quote] We're talking about the Red Lobster claim, so whether it's true or false is relevant.

The thread title isn't about the state of racism in the country or something.

Please.

Now you're just being silly.

by Anonymousreply 7309/17/2013

If you want to debate racism in the U.S. on a national level, then pay your $18 and start your own thread.

People here are talking about the Red Lobster claim. You don't have to try to hijack the thread.

Besides, it's easy to make vague claims about how racist the United States is or whatever. Reality, and change, is found in concrete events and examples like this one.

by Anonymousreply 7409/17/2013

R72= king of trolls.

by Anonymousreply 7509/17/2013

Yup, trolls any race related thread with talk of crackers and white devils.

by Anonymousreply 7609/17/2013

[quote]And when you get that all African American jury [R55], good luck with that.

Would never happen, R57.

If the case involves different races, the jury will ALWAYS be a mixture of races.

by Anonymousreply 7709/17/2013

R13 and R46 got it right.

by Anonymousreply 7809/17/2013

Well, them biscuits with the cheese up in 'em sure are good.

by Anonymousreply 7909/18/2013

R67 Were you there. No! So you don't know what happened or not.

by Anonymousreply 8009/18/2013

Why does the Taylor Chapman/Dunkin Donuts incident from this past June register in my mind right now?

My gut tells me the racial epithet is bogus. She got PO'd by the lack of a tip, she remembered the Dunkin Donut tirade and created a "situation" of her own.

by Anonymousreply 8109/18/2013

Racism in this country is still very real, but there are too many who will pull the race card when things don't go their way.

by Anonymousreply 8209/18/2013

Yes R83 Exactly and homophobia still exist too but there are too many people who pull the homophobia card. There are way too many gays getting pissed off at straights and claiming homophobia. Too many gays are bashing themselves just to get back at straight people. It happens all the time. As a matter a fact most gays complaining about homophobia or gay bashing are just making it up. You can't trust anything a homo says.

by Anonymousreply 8309/18/2013

R84 is right in a way.

I'm actually surprised that gays of all people would be incredulous when it comes to reminders that discrimination still exists.

by Anonymousreply 8409/18/2013

The most embarassing thing for the man is that now the entire fucking world knows that he actually goes out to dinner at Red Lobster.

by Anonymousreply 8509/18/2013

R84/85= trolls. Big time.

We're not taking about the racism in America. Frankly, there's too much talk about how African-American people are 'victimized', and not enough about racism towards other people of color, or towards Mexican people coming over the border. Black people seem to think they're the only people who've ever experienced discrimination, and they play it to the hilt. LGBT people are NOT in that same position, we don't have that kind of power.

WE are talking about this one incident at Red Lobster. She faked it. PERIOD.

by Anonymousreply 8609/18/2013

Exactly R87, Everyone who disagrees with the nonsense posted here is a troll. No one may disagree with you genius minded experts.

Yes black people spend every moment of every day hungrily waiting to experience some racism so they can "play it to the hilt". They love it. As a matter of fact they come to datalounge and post racist anti black comments everyday in almost every thread. Then they "play it to the hilt". they absolutely love it. As a matter of fact R87 you must be black and your comment is intentionally racist and now you're going to "play it to the hilt.

Oh and yes we should only discuss Mexicans "coming over the border". Mexicans are in this season. They're the new black so to speak. Perhaps blacks can reschedule their experiences of racism for sometime in the future when they come back in vogue. They should really stop being so selfish and give some other group a chance. Black people should shut up. After all we let them vote and sit anywhere on the bus that they choose.

I agree with you R87 totally and you probably have even more words of wisdom to share. Go ahead please enlighten us.

by Anonymousreply 8709/18/2013

She's a star now!

by Anonymousreply 8809/18/2013

Half the people posting to this thread deserve a beating.

Racist shit-stains, your ignorance is no excuse for your malice.

by Anonymousreply 9009/18/2013

Genuine or a hoax, either is plausible because people suck.

by Anonymousreply 9109/18/2013

R88 is a fucking retarded jackass.

by Anonymousreply 9209/19/2013

Wow, that pic of her holding the receipt says it all! Lying little BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 9309/19/2013

Racist Receipt Turns Into $10,000 Tip For Red Lobster Waitress Toni Christina Jenkins

by Anonymousreply 9410/11/2013

Good for her, r95.

by Anonymousreply 9510/11/2013

Let me make up a story and collect 10k!

by Anonymousreply 9610/11/2013

So r91 is saying people should be assaulted because they don't agree with you? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 9710/12/2013

I wish you all would stop feeding the Black Power troll. It's bad enough she's all juiced to see Angela Bassett take on Jessica Lange in American Horror Story: Coven.

by Anonymousreply 9810/12/2013

R99 = the White Power Troll

Don't feed her.

Its bad enough she's all juiced up to see Kathy Bate abuse her slaves on American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 9910/12/2013

The Black Power Troll is white, I'm 100% sure, he's posting as if he's Adam Gadahn or John Walker, both of whom did their pretend I'm a black guy shtick on the internet for a couple of years before they both went off the rails in a big way.

by Anonymousreply 10010/12/2013

R101= Nancy Drew - still solving mysteries well into her 80s despite being confined to a nursing home. She's still quite the genius.

by Anonymousreply 10110/12/2013

One way to avoid this...if you walk into a restaurant and the server is not of your race, don't order anything, just leave. Problem solved. No one can say you wrote some slur if there's no paper with your name on it to write on.

by Anonymousreply 10210/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!