Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Mysterious Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 13111/08/2013

Frau thread.

by Anonymousreply 109/14/2013

Sorry, but thousands children die and suffer each day. Two middle class negligent parents gnashing their gums and taking no responsibility really grates.

by Anonymousreply 209/14/2013

She'd be pushing 30 by now, right?

by Anonymousreply 309/14/2013

The parents did it (accident as a result of them leaving her unattended, they covered it up).

by Anonymousreply 409/14/2013

Definitely Frau thread.

by Anonymousreply 509/14/2013

I think her parents sedated her so they could go out to dinner with their pals and discovered that they miscalculated the dose when they found her dead. So, they threw her in a body of water further out from where they were staying at the time and have played dumb ever since.

by Anonymousreply 709/14/2013

Don't you think it's weird that 2 doctors would overdose a kid though ? Wouldn't they know better?

She was probably being scoped out by a sex offender who ten took her at the first opportunity .

by Anonymousreply 809/14/2013

I don't know, r8, don't you think it's weird that two parents would leave their three kids under the age of five all alone at night in a strange room in a strange country? And then triple that for their other doctor and professional friends who were with wining and dining with them and also left their young kids alone in their rooms.

by Anonymousreply 1009/15/2013

She was very small for her age, she shared clothes with her 2 year old sister. So an overdose is not an impossibility (particularly if the parents are eager to get out to the tapas and wine).

They'd been called back before because of the children crying alone at night.

As the parents said, "It was our holiday too".

Christ what a pair they are.

by Anonymousreply 1109/15/2013

She was born in 2003, R3.

by Anonymousreply 1209/15/2013

The dining room was no more than 50 meters from the bedroom where the children were sleeping, so it's not as if the parents were out on the town.

I also noted that they have been actively searching for the girl ever since her disappearance, and put all of the proceeds from their lawsuit toward the effort, as well.

I think gypsies carried her off.

by Anonymousreply 1309/15/2013

[quote] Scotland Yard has fingered 38 individuals as “persons of interest”

What a joke. Unless they actually find someone with Madeleine or find her body on their property nothing is going to happen.

Every year the British police start up with this case and every year the media reports that the British police have found new clues and new suspects. There aren't any clues or evidence

by Anonymousreply 1409/15/2013

But it sells another 55,000 papers, R14.

by Anonymousreply 1509/15/2013

We had her fired from Mame fearing she'd upstage Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 1609/15/2013

I've always suspected that the parents know more than they are telling.

by Anonymousreply 1709/15/2013

I find it odd that someone would go into a hotel room with a group of people nearby and just happen to abduct this one child.

by Anonymousreply 1909/15/2013

[quote] Don't you think it's weird that 2 doctors would overdose a kid though ? Wouldn't they know better?

yes, because no doctor on earth has ever miscalculated a dose of medication.

[quote] The dining room was no more than 50 meters from the bedroom where the children were sleeping, so it's not as if the parents were out on the town.

It was more than 50 meters. They were basically around the corner. The parents were in a restaurant. It's a long walk from the restaurant to the apartment

by Anonymousreply 2009/15/2013

They might as well have gone to the next town. Too far away to have heard or seen anything.

by Anonymousreply 2109/15/2013

Just to be clear, was she kidnapped out of a room that had other children( I assume her siblings) in it? If so, how old were the other children? what did they see?

by Anonymousreply 2209/15/2013

(Psssst! Hey! I'm being held captive in a cellar in Cleveland!)

by Anonymousreply 2309/15/2013

Her younger twin siblings were either in the same apartment, presumably in the same room, as her. The McCanns were on holiday with three other couples (plus a grandmother) who had five kids of around Madeleine's age between them and who were also left unattended in their own respective apartments. Apparently, if I remember correctly, the idea was that every half an hour or so one of the adults was meant to go around and check on the kids, but what isn't clear is whether one adult was to look into the windows of all the apartments to see if all the kids were safe or whether the adults were only going to their own apartments to check up on their own kids. It's all a bit confused, as is much of the "information" given by the McCanns and their friends. In any case, their system of supposedly checking up on the kids sounds rather shambolic (but that might be because they're covering something up).

So, a total of nine adults and not one of them could be bothered to do kid duty for the evenng. Even more disturbing, Madeleine had not quite turned four (she was about to), which is a bad enough age to leave a child alone in a strange room for hours - but her siblings were only aged two.

Just had a look at the Wikipedia entry for Madeleine. Seems only the McCann's measurements and data are permitted for things such as distances.

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2013

[quote]I think her parents sedated her so they could go out to dinner with their pals and discovered that they miscalculated the dose when they found her dead. So, they threw her in a body of water further out from where they were staying at the time and have played dumb ever since.

Worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 2509/15/2013

[quote]Just to be clear, was she kidnapped out of a room that had other children( I assume her siblings) in it? If so, how old were the other children? what did they see?

They were two years old. They couldn't even talk

[quote] The McCanns were on holiday with three other couples (plus a grandmother) who had five kids of around Madeleine's age between them

[quote] So, a total of nine adults and not one of them could be bothered to do kid duty for the evening

Most of them were physicians too. One of the other couple's children had been sick (vomiting) and they left their child alone only bothering to check on the kid once in a while. What kind of parent does that? Especially one who is a dr. They were all too busy at a trivia contest. Madeleine's mother was winning

One of the parents walked back and checked on the kids and she says she saw a man walking from the apartments carrying a child dressed in pajamas who had a blanket over the child's face but she didn't bother to give him a second look. She didn't even have any curiosity to see if something was up. Just imagine, you're going to check on a bunch of children you left all alone and you see a guy carrying a child with it's face covered with a blanket and you can't even be arsed to look at the guy or the kid for more than one second? These people are supposedly intelligent (at least book wise), but they don't have an ounce of normal human skills or common sense

by Anonymousreply 2609/15/2013

Has the Pitt/Jolie compound been checked thoroughly?

by Anonymousreply 2709/15/2013

[quote]They were two years old. They couldn't even talk

Most two-year olds can talk.

by Anonymousreply 2809/15/2013

Outside the US, most parents aren't so constantly worried. They didn't have Nancy Grace to teach them parenting skills.

by Anonymousreply 2909/15/2013

I believe the kid was over sedated than dumped. It makes the most sense. Maybe she was inadvertently given two doses of sedative but each parent unknown to the other. It makes the most sense. it's not that far fetched that at some point, the parents lie so convincingly they can convince themselves of an alternative version of the truth.

by Anonymousreply 3009/15/2013

[quote]Scotland Yard has fingered 38 individuals as “persons of interest”

I often stroll slowly past Scotland Yard, hoping one day to be fingered by one of their young hot detectives.

by Anonymousreply 3109/15/2013

R30, sort of like the Frasier episode where both brothers are dumping brandy into the cherries jubilee?

by Anonymousreply 3209/15/2013

Brits overwhelming believe the parents, and find it impossible to make something like that up. Americans have seen these cases before. Try explaining this to a Brit, and they can't and won't buy it as a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 3309/15/2013

r26, you believe that story??!

It was also reported that it was a swingers club.

The father is hot.

by Anonymousreply 3409/15/2013

Why do parent take small children on holidays anyway? They are too young to appreciate where they are. They are a problem if the parents want to party late. Leave them at home in the care of a relative or even friends.

by Anonymousreply 3509/15/2013

R33, I think middle class Daily Mail readers perhaps but the rest of us could give a flying fuck. The story has never held water - the woe is me, I left my children in a hotel room in a foreign country and now one of them is gone! Who gives a fuck? They always seemed like terrible parents. And it so often turns out to be the parents anyway. They created their own private hell - they should just shut the fuck up about it. They got away with it, y'know?

by Anonymousreply 3609/15/2013

Have the parents taken lie detector testa?

by Anonymousreply 3709/15/2013

If the parents did it they're doing a helluva hiding in plain sight routine. It's been years. Nobody really cares any longer.

Somebody took her.

by Anonymousreply 3809/15/2013

r29 is onto something.

There have been a lot of horrific child abduction/murder cases recently (Hello, Florida?) but in between there have been periods when parents weren't expected to feel the extreme paranoia that they must feel today.

by Anonymousreply 3909/15/2013

The British government sent out a spokesman to work for the McCanns - Clarence Mitchell, he was Director of the Media Unit until seconded to Portugal to protect those two.

They had help and protection from on-high.

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2013

r33 you are incorrect. I'm English, and most of the people I've discussed this with agree that the parents were either involved or at the very least aren't telling what they know.

It doesn't help that the Portuguese police did a piss-poor job of investigating. Who knows what evidence may have been lost/ignored.

Personally I think they accidently overdosed her and then dumped the body. They should have been prosecuted for child neglect, no matter what happened.

Kids go missing all the time, but because she's white and cute and the parents are middle class and have money, they get to keep it in the public eye. What about all the other children from poor families that no one even hears about?

by Anonymousreply 4109/15/2013

[quote] r33 you are incorrect. I'm English, and most of the people I've discussed this with agree that the parents were either involved or at the very least aren't telling what they know.

Same here. I don't know where r33 is getting his evidence from, but I've yet to hear anyone defend them in conversation over here. Personally, I find them cold, selfish, irresponsible and highly suspect.

by Anonymousreply 4209/15/2013

I haven't followed this case. I imagine the parents either hate themselves or feel nothing about it. Perhaps they are sociopaths. Neither has killed themselves. They haven't split, right? I don't see one blaming the other. They have a pretty united front. Seems more like sociopathic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 4309/15/2013

Also British, also think they did it.

It's weird though, those children were all IVF babies. Can you imagine going through so much to get your babies and then abandoning them night after night just to get your drink on?

And there were babysitters available at the resort.

by Anonymousreply 4409/15/2013

I heard that she's an Ibizan pole dancer now.

by Anonymousreply 4709/15/2013

I heard she was exported to Morraco and is now short haired, dressed like a boy lady, and is the head mistress of the strap on circuit. Every Brit knows you go to Moracco to score some young trade.

by Anonymousreply 4809/15/2013

This again?!?

CHRIST!

by Anonymousreply 5009/15/2013

She could have had a bad dream, woken up, wondered where her parents were and gone outside looking for them.

by Anonymousreply 5109/15/2013

Neglect of course, and any overdosing can only have aided abduction. I still can't quite believe they managed to get rid of their own child then lie about it all in the glare of the world's media, but colour me naive.

My sympathy-meter for the couple stays low. They and the other professional couples have to have been economical with the actuality, on a nod and a wink. They've all got to live with that, and trust all the others to clam up, forever. Various degrees of denial for the rest of their lives - with the press ever-vigilant.

by Anonymousreply 5209/15/2013

R49, take a laxative, you will feel better

by Anonymousreply 5309/15/2013

I heard she was sold to a fat Alabaman woman who has her on the Toddlers & Tiaras circuit.

by Anonymousreply 5409/15/2013

[quote]Brits overwhelming believe the parents, and find it impossible to make something like that up. Americans have seen these cases before. Try explaining this to a Brit, and they can't and won't buy it as a possibility.

I was puzzled by that myself. For a country as old and sophisticated as Britain with centuries of famous writers & thinkers to its name, you'd think they wouldn't be so naive about something like this.

by Anonymousreply 5509/15/2013

Don't be a twit, r55. We have more than one self-avowed "Brit" on this thread who are ready to see them swing.

Twitter was born in 2006. Madeline disappeared in 2007.

None of us were there, none of us know the family, yet a media frenzy has repeatedly gotten the public panties in a bunch. Every time a kidnapped child is discovered (and how awful that it has happened SO MANY TIMES in just the past few years! Did these things always happen, and we only now can hear about them??) it stirs the pot.

Remember, opinions are like assholes: everyone has one (except, of course, for the late Shiloh Pepin, a.k.a.,the "Mermaid Girl!")

by Anonymousreply 5609/15/2013

R56, I was confirming what R33 wrote - I myself saw some of the same polls in the UK a few years ago in which the majority of Brits refused to consider the possibility that the parents killed her.

by Anonymousreply 5709/15/2013

You almost had something there, R56...

Don't be a twit There's more than one Brit something something something Don't give a shit!

There's a poem trying to be born in there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5809/15/2013

Cui bono?

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2013

Child neglect? Are you kidding me? Parents leave their kids alone when they're asleep and they're less than 100 metres away, to call that neglect is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 6009/15/2013

Look at the pics of the area. 100 meters or 10 meters...no way would I leave a kid unsupervised ...this was not some enclosed resort like Beaches....there was parking right outside of the door of the apartment where the child was left! Walls that obscured the view of the apartment....I certainly would not leave a toddler alone in a hotel room in a Marriott and I certainly would not leave a toddler alone at night with access to a street..

by Anonymousreply 6109/15/2013

This will never be solved

by Anonymousreply 6209/15/2013

Was there a ransom note?

by Anonymousreply 6309/15/2013

^ Patsy Ramsey, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 6409/15/2013

City on fire! City on fire!

by Anonymousreply 6509/15/2013

[quote]Try explaining this to a Brit, and they can't and won't buy it as a possibility.

The "polls" are "conducted" by the tabloid media. The tabloid media are in the business of filling their shitty tabloids with shitty little stories.

The McCanns won a huge sum in libel damages, SO, it isn't too hard to imagine that printing stories about "public opinion polls" might be a safer way to continue their tack?

i.e., "Isn't it curious, that so many Brits think that these people are INNOCENT! What's wrong with them?"

by Anonymousreply 6609/15/2013

R60, as r61 pointed out, in reality, the apartment was much further from the restaurant than McCann spin puts it and there was no direct line of vision. Also, the apartment was right on the street. And, this wasn't the kids' familiar home surroundings.

And, let's not forget, this wasn't a one-off incident, the McCanns and all their friends were leaving their kids alone in the various apartments every night for the whole week they were there.

by Anonymousreply 6709/16/2013

Are the parents still friends with the families they were on holiday with? Are they still doctors?

by Anonymousreply 6809/16/2013

Would you let your sick child anywhere near the McCanns, R68?

by Anonymousreply 6909/16/2013

Not just in Portugal, R67, IIRC, they'd done the same on holidays in Greece and Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 7009/16/2013

The parents are completely irresponsible...

As an example to put it in perspective..I am in New Orleans on holiday. Staying on Royal St. First Floor. I leave a 2 year old alone--while I go down maybe 3 buildings to have a drink and dinner.

Any wacko can come in and take my kid!

They mislead the public by referring to the hotel as a resort--as soon as I saw those photos, this was not an enclosed resort.

by Anonymousreply 7109/16/2013

How do you think they actually disposed of the body? The parents, I mean. Dumped in the water and weighed down with something?

by Anonymousreply 7209/16/2013

Possible, r72. When they were made "arguidos" (something like a suspect, but apparently not quite) it was said that Madeleine's DNA had been found in the boot of the car. If they are responsible for her death (through an accident) then it may not have happened on the night that her disappearance was reported.

Even if she actually was abducted, they are responsible for that enabling that to happen too.

by Anonymousreply 7309/16/2013

I'm a brit, the parents did it IMO.

Maddie was known to be a difficult child and that eye thing is linked to developmental problems. The McCann's kids were the only ones out of the Tapas 7's who were in that creche every possible moment - they'd get put there in the morning, taken for lunch while the creche closed, put straight back in while Kate and Gerry played tennis or swam, taken out at the end of the day and put straight to bed. On the way to the holiday, Gerry said to the others "We're here on business" or something to that effect. He'd also read a book on how to dispose of bodies. Cadaver dogs detected blood and death smell in the apartment and the hire car. A witness said it was Gerry and not Robert Murat she saw carrying Maddie away from the apartment that night. Maddie's 'foundation' (a company) was founded in days when normally it requires time and money.

Kate's a fucking overstressed nutcase and Gerry had his perfect kids. In the fridge with Madeleine! (And follow the Ramsey's script after, book deal and lawyering up included!)

by Anonymousreply 7409/16/2013

I think the parents were drugging the kids so they wouldn't have to pay for a babysitter and they gave Madeleine an overdose. For any parents that would translate into jail time (except for Casey Anthony) - but they're both doctors - they would have lost their licenses as well, good bye cushy upscale life, hello misery.

by Anonymousreply 7609/16/2013

I can't imagine parents conspiring to murder a child. The odds of one cracking under the pressure of investigation are too great. Have there been other cases of two parents intentionally murdering their child?

by Anonymousreply 7709/16/2013

"The odds of one cracking under the pressure of investigation are too great."

Most killers don't "crack" under the pressure. Most of them don't confess.

by Anonymousreply 7809/16/2013

[quote]I can't imagine parents conspiring to murder a child.

Happens every day, dear.

by Anonymousreply 7909/17/2013

Maybe somebody put the poor girl in a snuff film and put her out of her misery.

by Anonymousreply 8009/17/2013

R77 is a naive fool.

by Anonymousreply 8109/18/2013

R77, it's not suspected that they conspired to kill her but that there was some accident, due to Madeleine being left alone.

by Anonymousreply 8209/18/2013

Regardless, we're playing games with words here. Whether deliberate or accidental, parents kill children every day. If some of the people here are too naive to know that or don't bother to pay attention to all the cases out there every day, there's not much that can be done to cure them of their ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 8309/18/2013

Did the parents ever say why they didn't hire a babysitter? Dd they not trust the hotel nannies? Were there none available? Money shouldn't have been an issue. They were well off, no?

by Anonymousreply 8409/18/2013

Statistically, it's more common for parents to kill their kids than it is for strangers to abduct children.

by Anonymousreply 8509/18/2013

I found a very interesting but very long blog arguing that the parents were responsible and may even have claimed she disappeared a couple of days after she actually did.

CWPorter.com

by Anonymousreply 8609/18/2013

I made the mistake of clicking on r86's link, don't, it's some weird lunatic rant site.

There are plenty of sites and forums that discuss this issue much more intelligently (or, much less stupidly) than the sick crap r86 is shilling for.

by Anonymousreply 8709/18/2013

Whatever happened to their fund? They raised close to a million and, IIRC, there were concerns about the lack of transparency about the fund's uses. Gerry was travelling to Rome to meet the pope and to D.C. where he met with Attorney General Roberto Gonzalez (wtf?) in search of Maddie.

Have they taken up other missing children's causes or tried to use the fund to assist with those cases? Some bereaved parents find comfort in helping others.

by Anonymousreply 8809/18/2013

blah blah blah conspiracy blah blah blah still alive blah blah blah pedophiles blah blah blah snuff film

has anyone asked a psychic yet?

by Anonymousreply 8909/18/2013

Ooops R86 here... hmm, I tried to put a link up to the long article (which isn't a rant, very detailed and very believable) on that website and it was rejected so I just chopped off the /mccann at the end of it. I hadn't actually looked at the guy's whole website, mea culpa, he's a whackjob. But the article at /mccann isn't a conspiracy, anti-semitic, crazy whackjob article.

by Anonymousreply 9009/18/2013

My Brit/Swede inlaws left their entire brood of 5 children in Italy to some strange couple in a B&B for a month while they went out cavorting in Europe and Israel in the late 70's.

I think it's insane to do that but then again I am a Yank.

So there is the whole British "trusting the world" bs going on with the McCann's. Yes they're Dr's but they were also Brit-Naive. So many Brits are completely naive about the world, in fact many Europeans are like this.

In the USA my parents NEVER left us home alone, not even I was 12 or 14. NEVER. BTW, it's illegal here in the USA (now) to leave small children alone.

by Anonymousreply 9109/18/2013

It's a Euro thing. When the U.S. used to import all those European au pairs, they used to shake the babies, remember?

by Anonymousreply 9209/18/2013

[QUOTE Have there been other cases of two parents intentionally murdering their child?]

No...

by Anonymousreply 9309/18/2013

R83 and R81, I'm not American and where I live there are accidental deaths and deaths from child abuse, but cold-blooded killing of a child because she was "difficult" is something I've never come across. The US is a strange, murder-obsessed place.

by Anonymousreply 9409/18/2013

[quote]Statistically, it's more common for parents to kill their kids than it is for strangers to abduct children.

Good point.

by Anonymousreply 9509/19/2013

[quote] I found a very interesting but very long blog arguing that the parents were responsible and may even have claimed she disappeared a couple of days after she actually did.

hotel staff and other guests saw her the morning of the day she went missing

by Anonymousreply 9609/19/2013

No, r91, British/European parents are not like that with their children. Just because your inlaws left their kids with some strange adults in the 1970s, doesn't mean that British/European parents are anything like the McCanns and their friends.

I think the image problem with the McCanns is that they tried to claim control of the "narrative" too much. Of course, they wanted their version of events to be what we believed, so made a big deal in the media and made sure everyone was on their side with what supposedly happened in the first few hours after Madeleine allegedly disappeared. So, everyone ingored the fact they'd abandoned their kids, didn't notice the odd aspects of their version of events and started blaming everything on the Portuguese police.

Later, however, when they started trying to be public figures, to be in the media all the time, to get football teams and celebrities involved in their "have you seen this child?" campaign, to keep rabbiting on about how "we believe she's alive and someone must have seen her" but never to seem concerned about what might actually be happening to her if she's still alive, their attempts to control the media, their awful media expert Clarence Mitchell, I think that's what started to make many people feel uncomfortable with the McCanns.

by Anonymousreply 9709/19/2013

Add the fund they set up and Gerry's blog as further reasons as to why they started to alienate people and raise suspicions.

by Anonymousreply 9809/19/2013

Yeah, what grieving parents hire a high-powered publicist and big-time lawyers? I think one of these days one of the Tapas 7 with a bad conscience is going to cough up the truth which is why the McCanns spend so much time and money suing people, in the hope of cowing a potential real witness to what happened.

by Anonymousreply 9909/19/2013

I've always felt that Patsy Ramsey escaped justice by dying of cancer before she could be charged and I've thought for some time that these parents will get away with it, too.

by Anonymousreply 10009/19/2013

I would have never been charged, dear.

Never.

by Anonymousreply 10109/19/2013

R91 thinks British / Europeans are naive - from a country where only a very small percentage of the population ever visit another country never mind another continent, creationism is taught in schools and a large percentage of people believe in angels and/or alien abduction... I'm an American working in the UK presently, I have spent the last 12 years working in Europe, and I can honestly say the naive part is nonsense. People who travel, as Europeans do, are not as naive as some god-botherer living in Bumfuck, Idaho who's never spoken to a non-American in their life, thinks only Americans have freedom of speech, and has no understanding of the rest of the world.

I've never spoken to anyone in the UK who thinks these people are innocent. At best they are regarded as deadbeat parents who should've been arrested for child endangerment.

by Anonymousreply 10209/19/2013

It's kind of like the Eisenbergs, formerly of Florida. Are they guilty? What the hell happened to their baby girl?

by Anonymousreply 10309/19/2013

Who are the Eisenbergs, R103?

by Anonymousreply 10409/19/2013

Frankly, I think Madeline was left alone...went looking for her parents, fell in the pool and drowned. Either the parents or someone who worked at the resort found her body and then buried her.

by Anonymousreply 10509/19/2013

She's probably hanging out with Kasey Anthony now.

by Anonymousreply 10609/19/2013

I misspelled the name. The baby was Sabrina Aisenberg.

Around her many jokes were made at the babies expense (ugly baby).

by Anonymousreply 10709/19/2013

I think of the Lindbergh baby, and the current speculation that Charles himself was behind the abduction because the kid was sickly.

Lindbergh eventually moved to Germany and fathered a bunch of kids with blonde German fraus. He was a big believer in eugenics.

by Anonymousreply 10809/19/2013

I agree, I think it was Lindberg. And some poor man was put to death, when Lindberg did it himself. I wonder if his wife knew?

by Anonymousreply 10909/19/2013

But is there any way of proving that about Lindberg? Otherwise it is largely supposition.

by Anonymousreply 11009/19/2013

Nope R110 happened too long ago

Nor will anything ever be proven about the McCanns no doubt

by Anonymousreply 11109/20/2013

She was ground up and made into a loaf of Portuguese bread.

by Anonymousreply 11209/20/2013

Let's not forget Bobby Dunbar.

The poor little guy was probably eaten by alligators, but when they found another little boy about the same size and age, they made a big deal out of RESCUING him from an itinerant tinker.

Nearly a hundred years later, the truth finally came out via DNA tests.

by Anonymousreply 11309/20/2013

Interesting, R113. Humans have a need to believe in certain narratives, and the Bobby Dunbar case is certainly an example of that.

by Anonymousreply 11409/20/2013

Looks like the story of Bobby Dunbar inspired that shitty Angelina Jolie movie "Changeling".

by Anonymousreply 11509/23/2013

Never heard of the Bobby Dunbar case before. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11609/23/2013

A potentially similar story, but at least this one came clean in the end.

Mother of missing Fiona admits girl was killed

The French mother, who had made a tearful public appeal for help in finding her daughter Fiona, aged five, who disappeared in May, admitted to police on Wednesday that the girl is dead. Fiona died from an "accidental punch", she claimed.

A French mother who issued a tearful appeal for her missing five-year-old daughter has told investigators the girl is dead after she was taken in for questioning along with her partner, her lawyer said.

Cecile Bourgeon, 25, told investigators in May that her daughter, Fiona, disappeared while she was napping in a park.

But her lawyer, Gilles-Jean Portejoie, said on Wednesday that she had now told police that her daughter was dead, her body buried close to the city of Clermont-Ferrand in central France.

News of the girl's disappearance was met with anguish in France.

Bourgeon, then pregnant, had launched an emotional appeal, saying her daughter had been playing with another of her daughters, aged 2, when she went missing.

“I think about everything and nothing in particular. This is very hard, psychologically," the distressed woman told French media days after her daughter vanished.

Support groups were set up on Facebook and marches organized after the disappearance.

Although details emerged of a troubled family life, police initially worked on the theory that Fiona had been abducted from the park, sparking a nationwide search.

“By deduction, our primary theory…is that she could have been kidnapped and left the park with an adult,” local prosecutor Pierre Sennes told French media at the time.

But on Tuesday Bourgeon and her partner, Berkane Maklouf, were taken in for questioning by police in the southern city of Perpignan, where they now live, Portejoie said.

Three people close to the couple have also been held for questioning at Clermont-Ferrand.

Bourgeon's lawyer Portejoie said that Fiona "died accidentally following punches that were not delivered by (her mother) personally".

However her partner Maklouf has apparently contradicted this version of events.

“He admitted there was a domestic accident and acknowledged that the couple had invented a story. According to him the child choked on her vomit. They found her in the morning and panicked,” said his lawyer Xavier Capelet.

The lawyer said Maklouf also acceptedthat Fiona had been hit a few days before her disappearance but did not say by whom. "She was spanked to stop her from making herself sick," the lawyer said.

"They locked themselves in their lie. They were overwhelmed by the media coverage of this case," added Capelet.

According to reports in the French press sources close to the invstigation say the couple had been drunk with friends on the night before Fiona's presumed disappearance.

Investigators had wanted to arrest the mother back in August but at the time she was pregnant and they were forced to wait until she had given birth.

Reports in Le Parisien newspaper also claimed the couple had carried outonline searches on news websites about other stories of missing children, in the days before Fiona's 'disappearance'.

Desperate appeals

In August The Local reported how the Bourgeon had renewed her desperate appeal for help and even spoke to the media of her disappointment at the lack of solid leads in the search for her daughter.

“Three months have already passed and still no good news,” she had told regional daily La Montagne.

“We’re still waiting for a solid lead. It’s very hard, but I have to keep fighting,” she added.

“Where I’ve been disappointed is that there have been so many testimonies which have led nowhere.”

“But if someone does have information, they must come forward,” Bourgeon had said.

The realisation that the couple had lied for the last four months left those who led the search for Fiona disgusted.

“What they have done is despicable. It’s horrible, indefinable and inhuman,” Stephane Pozzo told Europe1 radio.

The mother is expected to undergo further questioning.

by Anonymousreply 11709/26/2013

The Madeleine McCann case is about as likely to be solved as the JonBenet case.

by Anonymousreply 11809/26/2013

there has been an arrest:

by Anonymousreply 11910/13/2013

Well, what do DLers think of R119's article?

by Anonymousreply 12010/13/2013

I'll wait until Crimewatch airs tomorrow evening rather than trust anything from the Mirror. It may or may not contain a kernel of truth but bear in mind the arrest could have absolutely nothing to do with the case - if something illegal comes to light during questioning, even if it's completely separate from the investigation, the police will make an arrest.

It sounds like the guy was talking about some paedophile stuff and the barrister reported him. That will guarantee an arrest no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 12110/13/2013

In a fit of pique, I just want to add my voice to those decrying [R:33's] opinion.

I'm British and I don't know a single person who hasn't been, at the very least, least suspicious of the parents. And without exception, everyone has remained disgusted by their evident neglect of those children on that holiday.

I love you Americans, but really, where on earth do you get your information? And please never say The Daily Mail. Most British people I know despise that rag with the heat of a thousand suns. Indeed, as much as y'all hate Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 12210/13/2013

Link to the BBC One Crimewatch episode.

The McCanns would be better off if they just never speak on camera. I don't know if they had anything to do with their daughter's disappearance or not, but they are so off-putting. Why, if you know people already suspect you and judge you for the poor decisions you made the day your child disappeared,... WHY would you choose to discuss how that child had confronted you that morning as to why nobody came for her and her siblings when they were crying and crying? And now Kate admits that Maddie was pale, not herself, very tired on that day. But Kate & Gerry left her home alone at night AGAIN. Ugh, these people just make my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 12310/15/2013

Sorry, I was so upset I forgot to include the link:

by Anonymousreply 12410/15/2013

They're about as innocent as the Ramseys.

by Anonymousreply 12510/15/2013

[quote]Madeleine McCann search: E-fit man 'was seen carrying child'

14 October 2013

The man featured in two e-fits released by UK police investigating Madeleine McCann's disappearance was seen carrying a child towards the beach.

Police say a family saw the man with a blond-haired child of three or four, possibly wearing pyjamas, heading away from the McCanns' holiday apartment.

Madeleine, from Rothley, Leics, was three when she went missing on 3 May, 2007, in Praia da Luz, Portugal.

The e-fit images will feature in a BBC Crimewatch appeal later.

by Anonymousreply 12610/15/2013

Why is there a Portugal, anyway? Why didn't Spain swallow it up?

by Anonymousreply 12710/15/2013

In the picture that is usually shown of her...what's wrong with her right eye and why is she wearing eyeliner?

by Anonymousreply 12811/03/2013

I never thought the parents were guilty but now I'm having my doubts.

by Anonymousreply 12911/03/2013

Portugal is the new Spain, R127. You should try visiting some time. Gorgeous country, wonderful food, lovely people.

by Anonymousreply 13011/03/2013

R128 she has a condition, called collaboma, the iris is not fully formed, so the pupil is an unusual shape.

by Anonymousreply 13111/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.