Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Your Top Ten High-Quality Horror Movies

Please - nothing that is primarily slasher or gore or exploding aliens. I'm looking for supernatural or psychological horror, like [italic] Rosemary's Baby [/italic], or [italic] Psycho [/italic], and ideally films that can be considered masterpieces of the genre.

What are your favorites? TV movies and sci-fi are okay!

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 10409/21/2013

The Sixth Sense

Rosemary's Baby

The Devil's Backbone

The Innocents

Psycho

Pan's Labyrinth

The Orphanage

Jaws

Carrie

The Shining

by Anonymousreply 109/14/2013

So what you're saying is high budgeted studio pictures.

by Anonymousreply 209/14/2013

(in no particular order and more than 10)

The Haunting The Innocents The Exorcist The Omen The Tenant The Sentinel Rosemary's Baby Repulsion A Tale of Two Sisters Let's Scare Jessica to Death Don't Look Now Carrie

by Anonymousreply 309/14/2013

Sex and the city 1 $ 2

by Anonymousreply 409/14/2013

The Haunting

The Innocents

The Exorcist

The Omen

The Tenant

The Sentinel

Rosemary's Baby

Repulsion

A Tale of Two Sisters

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (added)

Don't Look Now

Carrie

by Anonymousreply 509/14/2013

I forgot The Shining in my list of "The..." titles

by Anonymousreply 609/14/2013

The Exorcist 3, though certainly not a masterpiece, is very underrated and genuinely terrifying at moments.

by Anonymousreply 709/14/2013

r7, is that the one woth George C. Scott? If so, I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 809/14/2013

I agree, r7.

by Anonymousreply 909/14/2013

Exorcist III has one of the (if not 'the') all-time best short scene shockers as well.

by Anonymousreply 1009/14/2013

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original & 1978 remake)

The Blair Witch Project

The Changeling

Poltergeist (no one seems to think this is scary now but I watched it recently and it's very intense and the action is relentless towards the end).

Everything R5/R6 posted except for The Sentinel/Jessica/Sisters - I can't judge, never seen them.

by Anonymousreply 1109/14/2013

- The 1979 TV-version of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot', with the ghastly looking vampire kids hovering behind the window.

- The 1973 version of 'The Wicker Man'.

by Anonymousreply 1209/14/2013

OH shit, how could I forget Don's Look Now. The Shining out, Don't Look Now in.

by Anonymousreply 1309/14/2013

From TV - Crowhaven Farm (1970).

by Anonymousreply 1409/14/2013

Just curious - has anyone here seen [italic] The Screaming Woman [/italic], 1972 TV movie with Olivia de Havilland? A lot of people seem to agree that this was the absolute most frightening thing they ever saw in childhood (me too, and I saw a lot of scary stuff). I understand that its public domain but I haven't got the guts to check it out - lol. Anyone remember this or seen it as an adult? Brrrr!

by Anonymousreply 1509/14/2013

[quote]Exorcist III has one of the (if not 'the') all-time best short scene shockers as well.

Haven't seen it. What is it? Can you spoil it for me?

by Anonymousreply 1609/14/2013

here r16 (although it just seems weird out of context when you're expecting a shock)

by Anonymousreply 1709/14/2013

Showgirls.

by Anonymousreply 1809/14/2013

That's the exact scene I was thinking of as well R17. Scared the hell out of me the first time I saw it.

It's a pity that Blatty basically had to make it into an Exorcist sequel - the scenes trying to tie it into that mythology are the weakest. I haven't read Legion, but it could be interesting to see a remake that isn't trying to be part of the Exorcist canon.

by Anonymousreply 1909/14/2013

Maybe different kind of horror, but the original French version of Funny Games was full of horror.

by Anonymousreply 2009/14/2013

"The Tenant" was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 2109/14/2013

If you haven't seen Jacob's Ladder DO IT. One of the most underrated gems in psychological horror.

by Anonymousreply 2209/14/2013

R16 .... is "The Screaming Woman' the one where Olivia is convinced her neighbor killed his wife ? And then at the end ..... well, if that's the one, yes ... I remember it and thought it was a good movie and it had a chilling ending. I was a child when I saw it, so maybe it would be different now watching it as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 2309/14/2013

Add Poltergiest and The Exorcist to R1's list.

by Anonymousreply 2409/14/2013

I get The Screaming Woman and The Screaming Skull mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 2509/14/2013

Horror Hotel.

Also known as The City of the Dead.

Try it. Made in England but set in New England. Atmospheric and original.

by Anonymousreply 2609/14/2013

R26 you might appreciate "Burn Witch Burn" and/or "Night of the Demon."

by Anonymousreply 2709/14/2013

R23 De Havilland didn't know about the neighbor or what the woman was doing there until near the end. But yes, I think you've identified the same movie. I think I may start a new thread on this movie. Thanks for responding.

by Anonymousreply 2809/14/2013

You're right R28 ... I went and looked up more of the movie. She hears the woman and everyone thinks she's crazy (because of previous mental illness)

by Anonymousreply 2909/14/2013

A sketch called The Drop of Water in one of Mario Bava's horror film. The whole film was made of three sketches, but The Drop of Water will make you lock your door if you hear your tap leaking during the night.

That ghost story is very predictable, nothing original there. This is why it's scary: you know exaclty where it is going.

by Anonymousreply 3009/14/2013

The original Halloween from 1978 was really good. If you watch the "making of" on the Biography Channel, it shows how the low budget led to some choices that made the movie truly creepy, particularly for its time.

When I was a kid, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, the original TV movie, scared the hell out of me and my brother. The remake sucked, of course.

by Anonymousreply 3109/14/2013

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

by Anonymousreply 3209/14/2013

The Innocents: Deborah Kerr is fantastic & the kids are so creepy.

Carnival of Souls: Poor Mary.

Insidious: The best of modern horror - pure scares without gore or torture.

Don't go to sleep (1982) Yes, a made for TV horror movie starring Rhoda but that ending: Jesus!

The Haunting (1963): In the dark. In the night.

Dead of Night (especially the Michael Redgrave sequence and the little ghost boy.)

The Others: Nicole Kidman's best role.

Let's Scare Jessica to Death

The Company of Wolves

The Woman in Black (1989): The Daniel Rdacliffe remake was unscary cheese. This is the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 3309/14/2013

The Hitcher

Psycho

Rosemary's Baby

Don't Look Now

Suspiria

Carrie

Silence of the Lambs

Army of Darkness (not really scary, but great campy fun)

Misery

(Original versions only...no remakes!)

by Anonymousreply 3409/14/2013

oops...I forgot #10, The Shining

by Anonymousreply 3509/14/2013

All great ones mentioned. One of my favorite movies is 30 Days of Night. Legitimately terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 3609/14/2013

Thanks, R17!

by Anonymousreply 3709/14/2013

showgirls

by Anonymousreply 3809/14/2013

Is Crowhaven Farm the film where ...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF I'M RIGHT . . . ...witches where punished by being put under a plank and then slowly crushed to death by adding stones on the plank? And the new woman moving to this remoted area was not a coincidence, she was the reincarnation of a woman from that village who had turned in some witches. The reincarnation of these vicitms wanted to exact revenge on her ?

END OF SPOILERS

As for The Woman Screaming, this rings a bell, but unfortunately, I think I was exposed to an edulcorated remake. I remember watching an episode made for TV in the 80s where a little boy heard the screams of a woman buried in the woods. We know from the start he is right, but the stupid adults around him don't believe him because he is a child. It ends well, when the little boy sings a song he heard the burried woman sing and it is a song his father had made especially for that woman. Only her knew it! So the father realise his son is telling the truth and the woman is saved.

It was a bit mysterious, there was some suspense, but scary, it wasn't !

Can you tell me more about the original with Olivia De Havilland ? I bet it doesn't end that well ?

by Anonymousreply 3909/14/2013

39 reposnses and no mention of the original Night of the Living Dead or Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Both were very much of their time, and while Living Dead is gory it is also tense and terrifying; Chainsaw Massacre has surprisingly little blood, but the sense of dread, terror and revulsion it creates is palpable.

by Anonymousreply 4009/14/2013

R39 ...

SPOILER AHEAD on 'The Screaming Woman'..

Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I get it wrong....

As I recall it, Olivia and the woman's husband are fighting furiously outside. He is trying to kill her and suddenly his wife scratches her way out of the ground he buried her in. I think the husband then keels over of a heart attack.

But I may be off base with some of that recall.

by Anonymousreply 4109/14/2013

Mine would be:

(1) The Haunting (the original) -- best horror film ever made. Absolutely terrifying with the loud booms and the expanding closed door.

(2) The Innocents -- who can forget the moment with the tear on the slate in the classroom? or Miss Jessel glowering in the rushes in the pouring rain?

(3) The Devil's Backbone -- A great setting (a boy's orphanage under siege in the middle of a wasteland during the Spanish Civil War), a scary pool, and a great creepy ghost. Plus, Eduardo Noriega as his studliest.

(4) The Woman in Black -- A great haunted house in a great setting, and a great scary ghost. The sequence where the ghost emerges from a door at the end of a hallway behind Daniel Radcliffe is very scary

(5) The Shining -- The whole film isn;t as scary as the early parts, but the sense of disorientation and menace in the beginning is great, as are the famous Steadicam shots from danny's point of view on his Big Wheel

(6) The Others -- Another genuinely great haunted house, with first rate performers (Nicole Kidman in her best performance to date, Fionnula Flannagan, Christopher Eccleston, and that great child actress). Beautiful sense of atmosphere, and a fine emphasis on character

(7) Session 9 -- The whole doesn't quite come together, but this has the best pre-existing setting for a horror film ever: the crumbling and abandoned Danvers State Home for the Insane (since demolished), which may or may not be the home to either ghosts or to former inmates who have come back to threaten a hazmat team

(8) The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either version--they are equally good) -- These are usually grouped with sci-fi films, but they are truly horror films, and they both have excellent claustrophobic paranoid atmospheres, and each offers a great hysterical performance--Carolyn Jones in the original and Veronica Cartwright in the remake

(9) The Birds -- Again, although rarely admitted to be a straight horror film, it really is one. The confused family tensions have something to do with the random attacks of the birds, but what, exactly?

(10) Inferno -- The whole movie is not good at all, but the beginning sequence--where the heroine drops her keys into a submerged room beneath her feet, and must dive in for them--is both beautiful and terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 4209/14/2013

Speaking of The Others, I also like The Other (1972).

by Anonymousreply 4309/14/2013

The Omen The Changeling Rosemary's Baby Firestarter

by Anonymousreply 4409/14/2013

I had the ending of 'The Screaming Woman' as being MUCH more dramatic than it was.

Just watched it on YouTube. Link below.

Still would've traumatized a little kid though.

by Anonymousreply 4509/14/2013

The Entity with Barbara Hershey

The Woman in White - Lukas Haas. Creepy as all hell. Creepy uncle, creepy settings, kinda cheesy ending, but overall hit some keys.

The Keep with Scott Glen, because Nazis and Scott Glenn.

American Werewolf in London.

Warlock with Julian Sands. Because Julian Sands.

by Anonymousreply 4609/14/2013

The Woman In White was a GREAT, GREAT creepy movie. Very effective and haunting

by Anonymousreply 4709/14/2013

Insidious

The Conjuring

Sinister

Audrey Rose

Amityville Horror

by Anonymousreply 4809/14/2013

R30 Thanks for mentioning the Mario Bava from [italic] Black Sabbath [/italic]! This and the aforementioned [italic] Screaming Woman [/italic] were the two great terrors of my childhood. Bava was maestro supremo!

by Anonymousreply 4909/14/2013

Them!

by Anonymousreply 5009/14/2013

The Shining

Carrie

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Exorcist

Exorcist 3

The Devils

Rosemary's Baby

The Fury

Dressed to Kill

Theatre of Blood

by Anonymousreply 5109/14/2013

I can't believe I forgot Halloween!

by Anonymousreply 5209/14/2013

From the past 10 or so years:

Wolf Creek

28 Days Later

Cloverfield

Deadset

The Descent

Drag Me To Hell

Quarantine

House of Wax (yeah, the one with Paris Hilton)

The Crazies

High Tension

by Anonymousreply 5309/14/2013

Ringu (1998), so tense, weird and creepy.

Dark Water (Japanese original - another creepy, moody film)

And another vote for Wolf Creek, The Birds, The Woman in Black, Dressed To Kill, Suspiria and Carnival of Souls.

R39, you have it right about Crowhaven Farm.

by Anonymousreply 5409/14/2013

Quatermass and The Pit- English horror flick about martian spaceship found when expaning subway. Very comfortably British and then NOT comforting at all.

The Devils - by Ken Russell with Vanessa Redgrave. Over the religious sadism, IIRC.

Phantasm. You WILL cover your eyes watching this movie.

Dr. Who episodes "Are you my Mummy" and "Don't Blink".

The Dead Zone with Christophe Walken. The sense of rushing to the inevitable.

The Night Stalker tv series with Darren McGavin. Low budget horror, with good acting.

The Thing, first one with Kurt Russell.

The Fog with Adrienne Barbeau.

by Anonymousreply 5509/14/2013

This thread is giving me such awesome ideas on what to watch. :)

by Anonymousreply 5609/14/2013

Olivia de Havilland looks so weird in that clip from The Screaming Woman--she looks like Newt Gingrich if he were dressed as Zaza from La Cage aux Folles.

by Anonymousreply 5709/14/2013

Thank you R41, R45 and R54.

I agree with you about Mario Bava, R49. And thank you for the movie title: Black Sabbath, yes. The other sketch about the family that got gradually vamparized, while not as scary, had its eery moments.

by Anonymousreply 5809/14/2013

R 56 I was hoping to help get everyone started planning for Halloween :-)

by Anonymousreply 5909/14/2013

Some I've haven't seen named:

1) The Collector (60s) 2) The Island of Lost Souls 3) I Walked With a Zombie 4) Terror Is A Man (Philippines) 5) The Blood Spattered Bride (Spanish) 6) Corruption (Peter Cushing) 7) Matango (Japan) 8) Diabolical Dr. Z (Spanish) 9) Scream of Terror (Susan Strasberg) 10) Last Man on Earth (Vicent Price)

by Anonymousreply 6009/14/2013

The "Telephone" segment of BLACK SABBATH always scared me as a kid. The scene in WOMAN IN WHITE when Lukas sees what happened to the girl is very unsettling. Same with the ending of THE OTHERS.

by Anonymousreply 6109/14/2013

So glad someone reminded me of this movie, but it's called The LADY In White.

Trailer below. MUCH better than the trailer. It has real spooky parts

by Anonymousreply 6209/14/2013

Halloween - The original

Witchfinder General aka The Conqueror Worm

Masque of the Red Death

The Snowtown Murders

Kill List - British film made in 2011 that I didn't know was a horror film until the last 15 minutes. Totally unexpected and shocking ending.

by Anonymousreply 6309/14/2013

The Lady in White had indeed frightenning scenes for the kid I was (hag-looking ghost at the window always worked for me when I was young) and unsettling ones for anybody (evocation of a little girl being sexually abused, as re-lives by her ghost? shudders).

Still, it is all defused by the happy end, ghost-wise.

It's stange that this film, Lady in White and Woman in Black were made at about the same time. There is a similar scene with a rocking chair and a hag-ghost appearing in the bedroom/at the window of the bedroom.

The film with the ghost dressed in white ends well, because she was not really evil, just sad. The film with the ghost dressed in black ends differently: she is angry and vengeful.

by Anonymousreply 6409/14/2013

"The Changeling"...one of the creepiest,chilling ghost stories/murder mysteries ever filmed.

Forget the derivative counterparts in "The Others" and the absolute piece of puerile trash that was "Insidious"...from the music and sound recording,the lighting and camera work and the unmannered performances THIS is how you present a proper seance scene:

by Anonymousreply 6509/14/2013

Another vote for The Innocents and the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Other favorites: Frankenstein: The True Story, The Others, The Devil's Backbone, The Wicker Man (1973 version), Dark Secret of Harvest Home, Alien, and Rosemary's Baby.

by Anonymousreply 6609/14/2013

28 Days Later (minus the last fourth of the movie)

Rosemary's Baby

My Little Eye

by Anonymousreply 6709/14/2013

"Nightmare" (1964) scared the crap outta me when I was a kid--not sure it would anymore, but it was the first movie that did.

The Changeling was epically scary in the theater. I'll never forget that ball bouncing down the stairs to George C. Scott.

Magic was another one that freaked me out in the theater in the late 70s. The first evil talking doll/dummy...yikes.

The "Prey" (third) part of the Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black with the Zuni doll.

by Anonymousreply 6809/14/2013

Carrie

by Anonymousreply 6909/14/2013

OP, as long as you said sci-fi's ok, I'd have to include John Carpenter's The Thing and Ridley Scott's Alien.

Some fantastic horror and suspense in both those films. Two of my all time faves.

by Anonymousreply 7009/14/2013

If you want to be scared to death, watch parts 1 & 2 of this movie. It's terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 7109/14/2013

After I saw "The Ring" I slept with the lights on for a year.

by Anonymousreply 7209/14/2013

I don't think anyone's mentioned "Let the Right One In," yet, a recent Swedish vampire masterpiece with a queer twist (really!) The scenes that don't involve any of the children are tedious, but the rest of the movie is excellent. Avoid the English language remake. And another vote for "The Orphanage". At one point (if you've seen this movie in a theater you'll know which one) my then-partner turned to me and said, "I don't know if I can take any more of this!" Most of it is not especially gory, but is incredibly scary. Don't see it if you live in an old house with lots of unexplained noises.

by Anonymousreply 7309/14/2013

Did Anyone mention The Strangers? It scared the fuck out of me every time someone would knock on my door. (There's a fucking doorbell for a reason!)

Halloween Funny Games (Austrian AND American versions) Event Horizon (Especially the uncut version!) Black Christmas The Poughkeepsie Tapes (FREAKED ME OUT!) ...and the usual suspects (except Suspiria and Jessica)

by Anonymousreply 7409/14/2013

Yeah, The Strangers is the first movie that legitimately scared me since I was a kid. The beginning is a little slow to get through, but the rest is well worth the wait.

by Anonymousreply 7509/14/2013

R7, did you know that Exorcist 3 was Jeffrey Dahmer's favorite movie?

by Anonymousreply 7609/14/2013

Not really horror, but a great psychological thriller--"Seance On A Wet Afternoon"

The 1973 version of "The Wicker Man". Christopher Lee even admitted this was his favorite of all the movies he ever made. Avoid the shitty Nic Cage re-make.

Agree w/ others on "The Innocents" "Repulsion" and the under rated gems "Horror Hotel" and "Burn, Witch, Burn"

Please DO NOT confuse "Horror Hotel" with "Motel Hell". The latter is a pretty funny, campy gore fest starring Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons( aka Beulah Ballbricker from "Porky's")

by Anonymousreply 7709/14/2013

WITCHBOARD was a spooky little supernatural horror flick from 1986.

by Anonymousreply 7809/14/2013

r76: Jeffrey Dahmer also ejaculated into the hollowed eye sockets of his victims. So... that's probably worse than his taste in movies. (One would think?)

by Anonymousreply 7909/15/2013

Could we please keep this thread on track? This is not the place for gore-porn, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 8009/15/2013

What about Les Diaboliques? Wonderfully scary French classic.

by Anonymousreply 8109/15/2013

Even though it is sci-fi Alien is kind of haunted house in space.

by Anonymousreply 8209/15/2013

Another vote for ALIEN. Extremely well made, and at the time I first saw it ALIENS also worked extremely well.

Ditto for the 1978 BODY SNATCHERS and ROSEMARY'S BABY. The final scenes of both upset me more than anything I can remember.

I'd add the 1979 DRACULA with Langella for the scene where he crawls the wall and scratches on the window. As a kid I saw this and didn't sleep for a long time. NOSFERATU and the Herzog remake are equally creepy.

PSYCHO still works for me, especially due to the last 15 minutes.

I'd say THE DARK KNIGHT qualifies despite the last 20 minutes or so. It should have ended up with a horrifying Arkham Asylum sequence and The Joker breaking out of there (maybe with Two-Face's help) but up until the Joker's capture it's as dark as they come.

by Anonymousreply 8309/15/2013

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Wait Until Dark. But you have to have the room in absolute darkness when you watch it...

by Anonymousreply 8409/15/2013

Gargoyles (1972) with Bernie Casey, Cornel West, Jennifer Salt and Scott Glenn, AND Grayson Hall, one of my favorites from TV's Dark Shadows. Anthropologist stumbles into confrontation with gargoyles, of course bringing his daughter along. Melting green candle wax titles aside, it had some truly terrifying moments and was actually poignant. Special effects on the gargoyles was extremely good, Stan Winston was pat of the makeup crew, went on to Aliens, Predator, Terminator and Jurassic Park. The makeup was what made this movie move out of the camp arena into a movie I will always remember.

by Anonymousreply 8509/15/2013

I am not sure this is classified as horror but this classic is griping and scary: The Exterminating Angel

by Anonymousreply 8609/15/2013

I thought the original 'The Descent' was a good movie with some startling scenes. Worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 8709/15/2013

MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE

THE CREEPING TERROR

THE BLOOD WATERS OF DR Z

THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE PART 2

TWO THOUSAND MANIACS

by Anonymousreply 8809/15/2013

Carnival of Souls Candyman Halloween Rosemary's Baby Carrie A Nightmare on Elm Street Inside Curtains Friday the 13th Pet Semetary The Shining Sole Survivor The Stepford Wives Phantasm The Innocents and the list goes on and on

by Anonymousreply 8909/16/2013

1. The original "The Haunting"

2. "Bobby" from Trilogy of Terror 2 "Bobby hates you, Mommy, so he sent me instead"

3. Blair Witch Project

4. The Orphanage - the only horror movie that ever made me cry

5. Pan's Labyrinth

6. John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" for the "this is not a dream..." sequences alone

7. Mouth of Madness Closest anyone ever came to getting HPL right

Does anyone remember a British anthology where a babysitter keeps getting a phone call from a child who says "I'm so cold, I'm so cold". It is during a thunderstorm, and at the end you see a downed telephone wire on top of a grave. Really creeped me out as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 9009/16/2013

Spoiler Request? - IFC showed 1972 "The Wicker Man" last night and I recorded it but my DVR cut the last minute off (fuck!). Would someone kindly tell me if something shocking ended the movie? I only got to the point where he is getting into his plane and it won't start. He called back for the man in the boat to come back and that's where my DVR fucked off. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9209/21/2013

[quote]Does anyone remember a British anthology where a babysitter keeps getting a phone call from a child who says "I'm so cold, I'm so cold". It is during a thunderstorm, and at the end you see a downed telephone wire on top of a grave. Really creeped me out as a kid.

That sounds similar to a Twilight Zone episode about a grandmother who dies and calls her grandson on a toy phone. There's a downed phone line across her grave.

by Anonymousreply 9309/21/2013

THE WICKER MAN:

You can watch the end on Youtube. Still want the spoiler? Okay, here it is:

The Sgt. ends up getting sacrificed in the wicker man.

by Anonymousreply 9409/21/2013

[quote] Does anyone remember a British anthology where a babysitter keeps getting a phone call from a child who says "I'm so cold, I'm so cold". It is during a thunderstorm, and at the end you see a downed telephone wire on top of a grave. Really creeped me out as a kid.

[quote] That sounds similar to a Twilight Zone episode about a grandmother who dies and calls her grandson on a toy phone. There's a downed phone line across her grave.

You're both mixed up. There were two separate TZ episodes: one including a child who talks to his grandmother on a toy phone. The other has an old woman whose dead husband is calling her from the grave into which the downed phone line is running. I have no idea where the babysitter came from (maybe "When a Stranger Calls").

by Anonymousreply 9509/21/2013

The Omen (original) and Prince of Darkness

by Anonymousreply 9609/21/2013

I wouldn't categorize Pan's Labyrinth in the horror genre so much as fantasy with dark/horror elements.

No doubt one of the best fantasy movies ever made though.

by Anonymousreply 9709/21/2013

[quote]Quarantine

I haven't seen this remake, but the original spanish film "[Rec]" is honestly one of the scariest films i've ever seen. Saw it with friends and we had a really fun time screaming our heads off at the last scene.

by Anonymousreply 9809/21/2013

I saw [Rec] after Quarantine and did not like it as much. It's more or less the same movie but they were able to take what was so well done in [Rec] and make it scarier. But I'm sure the people who saw [Rec] first disagree.

by Anonymousreply 9909/21/2013

Don't look now

by Anonymousreply 10009/21/2013

Day of the Dead (1985) was excellent. Probably the best of the three (Night and Dawn).

by Anonymousreply 10109/21/2013

Mama Mia

by Anonymousreply 10209/21/2013

So far no mentions of Val Lewton's productions for RKO? They were low budget with lurid titles, but were well written and filmed to suggest terror and evil. Class productions. Cat People, Curse of the Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, The 7th Victim, Ghost Ship, Leopard Man, Bedlam, Isle of the Dead, and The Body Snatcher.

by Anonymousreply 10309/21/2013

I liked The ward

by Anonymousreply 10409/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.