Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robin Williams says he is starring on a new TV show because he needs money

Robin Williams will reportedly be paid $165,000 per episode for his starring role in CBS' new comedy "The Crazy Ones".

Why Robin Williams Returned to TV: He Needed the Money!

It's been almost 30 years since Robin Williams starred on a television series. In that time, he built a successful movie career, earned four Academy Award nominations, and won the golden trophy for his performance in "Good Will Hunting."

So why is Williams now returning to the small screen in the new CBS comedy "The Crazy Ones"? Money.

The 62-year-old actor has been through two divorces, which have depleted his funds. As he told Parade, he needed a steady gig to replenish his fortunes. With big-time movie roles having dried up, Williams could go for smaller gigs and indie movies — but TV paid better.

"The movies are good, but a lot of times they don't even have distribution. There are bills to pay," he said. "My life has downsized, in a good way. I'm selling the ranch up in Napa. I just can't afford it anymore."

He once quipped, "Ah yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet."

Williams's two divorces — one from Valerie Velardi in 1988, and the other from Marsha Garces, in 2008 — have reportedly cost him more than $30 million. He told Parade he isn't quite broke, but he "lost enough."

"Divorce is expensive. I used to joke they were going to call it 'all the money,' but they changed it to 'alimony,'" Williams said.

His split with Garces, after nearly 20 years of marriage, was a particular surprise, as the longtime couple had weathered many ups and downs together. Garces was initially nanny to Williams's son with Velardi, Zach (now 30), then his assistant. After Williams divorced Velardi, he married Garces in 1989.

But when Williams, an alcoholic who battled addiction for years, fell off the wagon in 2006, it caused a strain between the couple. Two years later, they filed for divorce.

Now, Williams is remarried — to graphic designer Susan Schneider — and ready for a new chapter in his career. He spoke in glowing terms of “The Crazy Ones," which was created by uber-producer David E. Kelley and also stars Sarah Michelle Gellar of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fame.

"It's fun. I'm having such a blast doing it with Sarah. She's a sweet woman," he raved. "And the idea of a father-daughter relationship — since I have a daughter [Zelda, 24], I've done the research on that."

by Anonymousreply 7909/30/2013

Good for him. I admire the steps one has to take to take care of themselves. Especially if they were once big time personalities and are not too proud to work.

by Anonymousreply 109/13/2013

So the ugly nanny/wife took him to the cleaners?!

by Anonymousreply 209/13/2013

Seems surprising, given all the work he's done but I guess when you have ex wives and kids on the payroll at some point the money runs out. He was in WDC shooting some movie several years ago and (at least according to popular opinion) came across as a normal, down to earth guy. Hope he can stay sober.

by Anonymousreply 309/13/2013

He's the same hammy, pudgy red faced one liner pun twerp in everything. I find him tedious.

by Anonymousreply 409/13/2013

The show looks just awful. Hope he has a backup plan.

by Anonymousreply 509/13/2013

[quote]I find him tedious.

He IS tedious.

by Anonymousreply 609/13/2013

The Crazy Ones preview during Big Brother makes me cringe. I really hate him. That show will be canceled after the first 6 episodes.

I'll bet he's still fabulously rich, he just isn't rich enough for the lifestyle he is accustomed too.

by Anonymousreply 709/13/2013

So he got taken to the cleaners by two ex-wives but still decides to get married a third time? Not too bright, Robin.

by Anonymousreply 809/13/2013

Follow the money right up his nose.

by Anonymousreply 909/13/2013

His shtick is exhausting, I can't watch. He makes me feel like I've just run a marathon.

by Anonymousreply 1009/13/2013

I'm not sure if its his show or the Michael J Fox show but one of them has already been given the green light for 22 episodes

by Anonymousreply 1109/13/2013

He shouldn't have admitted this until the show became a hit. He's going to look like an especially sad figure if it flops, or even if it only lasts one or two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 1209/13/2013

I agree that the show looks awful, but you can bet that CBS will never give up on this show no matter how bad the ratings get. They already think it's a hit and they are going to take every opportunity to tell us how much we love it, even when we don't.

by Anonymousreply 1309/13/2013

I hate this man with every fiber of my being. The biggest attention-seeking whore that ever walked the earth. I can't STAAAAAAAAAAND him. Plus he's a disgusting Sasquatch.

by Anonymousreply 1409/13/2013

LOL, I though the same thing, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1509/13/2013

The previews are positively cringe-worthy. Hopefully Robin is kept in the background. But the way the network is positioning it as "magic," you know that they think they have a stinker on their hands.

by Anonymousreply 1609/13/2013

He's pretty damn talented as an actor. Granted he has poor control over his over the top tourettes act. But, the guy is great serious actor.

by Anonymousreply 1709/13/2013

CBS is sure getting him for a bargain. $165,000 for an oscar winning actor per episode. Even if it is robin williams and his tired schtick.

by Anonymousreply 1809/13/2013

How long before he says nanu-nanu on the show?

by Anonymousreply 1909/13/2013

R18 that's a lot for anyone on TV, though isn't it? I mean, for a show just starting out.

by Anonymousreply 2009/13/2013

Short on money? Maybe stop living like this:

by Anonymousreply 2109/13/2013

And this:

by Anonymousreply 2209/13/2013

He's also from a *very* wealthy family. It's funny to read about him being broke. I think that's a very relative term in this case.

by Anonymousreply 2309/13/2013

[R20] Remember, Jennifer Aniston was almost making $1M per on Friends...

by Anonymousreply 2409/13/2013

A good friend is good friends with him...he owns 6oo acres in Sonoma County...those acres should be worth at least one million each....

by Anonymousreply 2509/13/2013

He's exhausting but good for him in being honest on why he's doing the show.

by Anonymousreply 2609/13/2013

You can't blame his financial problems on ex-wives. Unless he's snorting them now.

by Anonymousreply 2709/13/2013

[quote]Seems surprising, given all the work he's done but I guess when you have ex wives and kids on the payroll at some point the money runs out.

He also said he had a ranch in Napa and that has property taxes, probably a mortgage, a staff and up keep, and he's probably paying the mortgages on the two ex-wives and kids home. Too bad the show will be gone in five episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2809/13/2013

Is apologizing in advance the new marketing meme?

by Anonymousreply 2909/13/2013

Never understood his appeal. Never found him funny. I may have seen him in a serious role or two. Don't remember. I make it a point to avoid anything he is in.

by Anonymousreply 3009/13/2013

Oh, Robin!

by Anonymousreply 3109/13/2013

Don't forget that he has herpes.

by Anonymousreply 3209/13/2013

He always seems so greatly amused by himself. I find him repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 3309/13/2013

You would think he'd learn by divorce #2 not to get married again...

by Anonymousreply 3409/13/2013

I find rich people problems so annoying sometimes.

Heres' the subtext of his remarks: He was an alcoholic which probably means drug addict and he spent all his money on booze and coke.

He's an idiot, which is why he married for the third time while complaining about exes and alimony.

He's a liar and has a ton of money in real estate and what not but he's not that liquid.

He's lost perspective on what poverty looks like.

This reminds me of when Isaiah Washington said today that his career went into the toilet after the Grey's fiasco and he had to suffer going from a 2 million a year salary to a 250,000 a year.

Now if Mr. Washington can get 250,000 when no one has seen him on anything for a number of years, then I can only imagine what Robin Williams is subsisting on during his time of poverty.

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2013

R35 nailed it. RW should shut the fuck up when half this country is on food stamps. And more tinny, crude, pointless sitcoms that aren't even fucking trying will NOT provide cultural relief. Even the bus ads for this fake fun crap are sterile and embalmed-looking.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2013

"he owns 6oo acres in Sonoma County...those acres should be worth at least one million each...."

Oh, stop.

I hope that's not what your friend tried to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2013

He married a THIRD time?????

Some people never learn.

by Anonymousreply 3809/13/2013

He must get ready for his current much younger wife to leave and demand the big bucks. Jesus, why do these old guys thing they marry them for?

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2013

You know, there's a chance RW and his new wife are really in love. And he may want to make cash to treat her well. He strikes me as a tragic clown. He's been a good friend to Chris Reeves both pre- and post-mortem (e.g looking after his son).

by Anonymousreply 4009/13/2013

He must be getting a decent chunk of money from royalties. Hell, Chevy Chase said he's earned several million on royalties from the flop movie Snow Day, and Robin Williams has been in more hit movies than Chase.

I don't like him, but he was quite good in One Hour Photo.

by Anonymousreply 4109/13/2013

Whatever amount he had to pay to get rid of that homely second wife with the mole, it was worth it. The thing is, though, she obviously didn't get more than half, so even if she got $30 million, he still had his own $30 million to play with.

by Anonymousreply 4209/13/2013

He's like a plantar's wart! You think he's gone after you cut him out from underfoot only to have him return in a different spot just as painful!

by Anonymousreply 4309/13/2013

Chevy is earning millions from a flop movie? That don't sound right, George.

by Anonymousreply 4409/13/2013

I bet if he sucked cock for living he'd do really well

by Anonymousreply 4509/13/2013

Straight guys are BANANAS to acquire fortunes and even GET married after! He was unwise not to get a very solid pre-nup with wife #2. I guess he skipped the part about doing blow for 20+ years and cost averaging that line item.

by Anonymousreply 4609/14/2013

i don't really want to watch this, but JAMES WOLK is on it, so i may have to suffer thru RW just to watch James.

by Anonymousreply 4709/14/2013

dumbass. sorry but he's rich and were it not for his money most women would NOT for for him. and you know it. i would never give away my money like that, esp since he has been working so long in the industry. LAME.

by Anonymousreply 4809/14/2013

But ... but ... marriage is so SACRED! Why would he get divorced so many times? Oh, that's right. Because he says he's straight (he's bi, kids), so he can marry whomever he wants without thinking about the aftermath. Not that I condone marriage for gays, either. People are too fucking fickle and flaky to stay monogamous for more than a few years.

by Anonymousreply 4909/14/2013

He forgot to mention the money he had to shell out when that waitress sued him and won for giving her herpes. She took him to the cleaners.

by Anonymousreply 5009/14/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5109/14/2013

I presume he's crying poor, either to convince the new wife that a prenup won't make any difference, or because he wants to get his alimony payments reduced.

Either that, or he snorted his movie fortune.

by Anonymousreply 5209/14/2013

I'm going to give the show a shot. I was a copywriter and he plays one, so it's either going to be interesting to be or a total dud. The guy can act -- ie Good Morning Vietnam, The World According to Garp, but if it's all light, laff a minute Mork from Ork stuff, I don't know. His character in One Hour Photo still kinda haunts me in a sad way.

by Anonymousreply 5309/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 5409/14/2013

[quote] Williams's two divorces — one from Valerie Velardi in 1988, and the other from Marsha Garces, in 2008 — have reportedly cost him more than $30 million

They both deserve every penny. They earned it.

by Anonymousreply 5509/14/2013

165,000 per episode? For doing what?

by Anonymousreply 5609/14/2013

yes he has herpes, so what? They all do in hollyweird. They all sleep with one and another for parts, power, connection, etc.

Surely there must be a thread on this topic? a list of people with herpes in hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 5709/14/2013

Both Robin and Tom Hanks were hilarious back in the day when they both started out on tv shows - Williams on Mork and Mindy and Hanks on Bosom Buddies. Both turned into insufferable boring cunts when they became movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 5809/14/2013

Can people stop calling Hollywood, "Hollyweird"? It's just so lame, and it always was.

by Anonymousreply 5909/14/2013

Whomever said that he couldn't get $1m for each of those 600 acres in Sonoma County is insane. Yes, he could. Very easily. The prices in Sonoma County have SKYROCKETED upward. There is a shortage of homes now and land is really expensive here.

by Anonymousreply 6009/14/2013

[quote]Surely there must be a thread on this topic? a list of people with herpes in hollywood?

I'm sure a list of famous people WITHOUT herpes would be shorter.

In America, about 25% of people have herpes. That number includes fuggos and virgins, so when you're talking about "beautiful" people who fuck each other all the time, I'm sure the number is much higher.

I know I've seen a cold sore on Vin Diesel's mouth, bleah.

by Anonymousreply 6109/14/2013

I find it offensive he essentially calls his ex-wives money grubbers, but they gloss over his long-term addiction.

Addicts aren't the best companions. I'm sure his wives wanted to ensure the kids would be cared for.

by Anonymousreply 6209/14/2013

"It's Mad Men meets... ZANY!"

by Anonymousreply 6309/14/2013

His 'I'm one of the poor, downtrodden' routine is certainly not going to help him.

If you read the quickie Gellar/Williams interview in the Entertainment Weekly Fall TV Preview, it seems that they have ZERO chemistry and Gellar was as funny as cholera (with her recommendation that Pam Dawber be cast as her mother .... which Robin responds to like "Uhhh, yea .... good one")

by Anonymousreply 6409/14/2013

and let's not forget that the show is by David E. Kelley, so it'll be probably be axed during the premiere's first ad break.

And yes, RW is the most annoying person ever.

by Anonymousreply 6509/14/2013

Valerie earned every penny considering what he was like when he hit the big time.

If you read Warhol's diaries, Robin seemed a tad heteroflexible when starting out.

by Anonymousreply 6609/14/2013

Watch for the sweeps week episode of The Crazy Ones to feature very special guest star Pam Dawber.

by Anonymousreply 6709/14/2013

I never understood his appeal. He's an obnoxious ham, just like Billy Crystal. Some of his dramatic roles are tolerable and he should stick to that.

by Anonymousreply 6809/14/2013

Robin Williams was funny years ago, but like so many male comics age has made him sour, unfunny and given to lecturing about others' faults. Think a white Bill Cosby.

by Anonymousreply 6909/15/2013

It's called WORK.

by Anonymousreply 7009/15/2013

Okay, I've watched Robin Williams' new sit-com, The Crazy Ones and it's DAMN GOOD! Believe me, no one is more surprised than I am, but it's funny and fresh -- Kelly Clarkson guesting and a McDonald's campaign all in one show. Really surprising is that Sarah Michelle Gellar is fabulous as Williams' daughter and the two work as owners of an ad agency. I don't care what you bitches say, I'm recording this every week!

by Anonymousreply 7109/29/2013

Show was not very good, but compared to the other hideous new network programs, it fared better. Gellar is the weakest link--she's tonally dissonant from the other actors.

by Anonymousreply 7209/30/2013

His homely 2nd wife r42 was an illegal Mexican woman (think Arnie) who was hired to take care of his kids, when he married to his first wife.

He's obviously a fucked up sex addict. His first wife kicked him to the curb when she found out and got a great settlement. 2nd wife has really OBNOXIOUS CHILDREN, one who is a "socialite" and is fugly as the day is long, and loves fame.

The Mexican ex-wife really is awful too, this from people in SF who dealt with "Mrs. Williams" in art circles.

by Anonymousreply 7309/30/2013

RW's comedy is just too dated. And do Boomers even watch sitcoms? He would have done far better to have a kindly old man role on a drama. Or creepy old man.

by Anonymousreply 7409/30/2013

[quote] I find it offensive he essentially calls his ex-wives money grubbers, but they gloss over his long-term addiction.

He's a piece of shit. Those women earned every penny. Can you imagine putting up with him for decades? I can't even watch him on tv for an hour

by Anonymousreply 7509/30/2013

I liked him in Awakenings. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 7609/30/2013

He sounds like such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7709/30/2013

I liked the show also. Williams has the best co-stars of any new show. I liked James Wolk ("Mad Men") even more than Sarah Michelle Geller.

by Anonymousreply 7809/30/2013

How can anyone endure his antics? The one and only time I appreciated his time on the screen was in "Good Will Hunting" where he was toned down and not carrying on like he just had his daily snort up the nose. I never feel sorry for the celebrities who find themselves in financial difficulty.

by Anonymousreply 7909/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!