Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Putting Time In Perspective

This is cool:

Humans are good at a lot of things, but putting time in perspective is not one of them. It's not our fault—the spans of time in human history, and even more so in natural history, are so vast compared to the span of our life and recent history that it's almost impossible to get a handle on it. If the Earth formed at midnight and the present moment is the next midnight, 24 hours later, modern humans have been around since 11:59:59pm—1 second. And if human history itself spans 24 hours from one midnight to the next, 14 minutes represents the time since Christ.

To try to grasp some perspective, I mapped out the history of time as a series of growing timelines—each timeline contains all the previous timelines (colors will help you see which timelines are which). All timeline widths are exactly accurate to the amount of time they're expressing.

A note on dates: When it comes to the far-back past, most of the dates we know are the subject of ongoing debate. For these timelines, it's cumbersome to put a ~ sign before every ancient date or an asterisk explaining that the date is still being debated, so I just used the most widely accepted dates and left it at that.

See the link for the graphic representation... it's eye-opening.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

It's pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 109/13/2013

This is pretty neat, OP.

How did you find this?

by Anonymousreply 209/13/2013

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin', into the fu-ture......

by Anonymousreply 309/13/2013

R2, I saw it go by on my Facebook newsfeed. I forget which of my friends posted it, but it was someone who does a lot of tech/science stuff.

by Anonymousreply 409/25/2013

Bumping for science Friday.

by Anonymousreply 510/11/2013

I find it hard to take seriously a person who puts The O.J. Simpson trial down as a major historical marker.

by Anonymousreply 610/11/2013

I disagree with the posgt.

At age nine, I picked a specific spot in time, on my way to Montreal, in a car, moving up I-87, at 9:25 a.m., on a bright, sunny day. I told myself then that I would alwyas measure how much time had elapsed since that point, while noting how much I had accomplished, or could have accomplished, in the interim.

It seemed very natural to do this, as a way of mastering one's environment. Why would anyone not completely retarded not do this?

by Anonymousreply 710/12/2013

R7, you're an idiot. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 810/12/2013

R8,

I am idiotic enough to believe hee IQ test calling me a genius, that's for sure.

I guess the tests are administered by idiots.

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2013

R9, geniuses can be idiots, and say idiotic things.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2013

"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.