Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Watch this gay couple's Home Depot flash mob proposal

A Utah couple is engaged after an elaborate, surprise proposal at a Salt Lake City Home Depot.

Dustin arrived at the Home Depot thinking he was there to help his roommate pick out some lighting for a party, but instead he would get the surprise of his life.

by Anonymousreply 7409/21/2013

That was embarrassing, but good for them.

by Anonymousreply 109/12/2013

It would have been better if they had been lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 209/12/2013

R2 LMAO...my thoughts exactly

by Anonymousreply 309/12/2013

Gay Marriage for Dummies; Chapter 1: Flashmob Proposal: Yes or No?........ NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

Stop it!

by Anonymousreply 409/12/2013

Marriage proposals are one of those things I think are better left for a private time and place.

I find ostentatious displays of affection to be obnoxious and off-putting.

But, I'll echo R1 , good for them.

by Anonymousreply 609/12/2013

It would have been more satisfying if the guy had said "No" just because those big splashy self indulgent PDAs are so excrutiating for everyone watching. Plenty of people are lonely and sad and watching something like that doesn't do much to really cheer them up. Oh, not me of course. LOLOL

by Anonymousreply 809/12/2013

A few people posted this on FB and one of them wrote that if you can't make it through the whole thing without shedding a tear, you have no heart.

Guilty as charged. I mean, it is nice that they got engaged. And it is quite lovely that their family and friends were part of it. But, what is this obsession with making life events into bad high school musical production numbers? And then putting it up for the world to see. If they wanted to record it to share within the family or their circle of friends, they could have done that -- but they didn't.

It is just glorified self-promotion with embarrassing choreography.

by Anonymousreply 909/12/2013

If they were lesbians, all of the people in the "mob" could've stayed afterward at HD to shop for wedding gifts off the registry.

by Anonymousreply 1009/12/2013

Home Depot? I'd prefer Lord & Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 1109/12/2013

They are going to have chubby babies.

by Anonymousreply 1209/12/2013

Gross. Old. And the bride has moobs.

by Anonymousreply 1309/12/2013

Won't somebody MARY me too?

by Anonymousreply 1409/12/2013

I found it overly "produced". They had a boom mic for Christ's sake. What is it with people making such a big production out of this.

by Anonymousreply 1509/12/2013

For all that production though, the girls and boys in the chorus line were mostly fucked. They could have used another month of rehearsal.

by Anonymousreply 1609/12/2013

If this was the proposal, you can be sure it will be a "Bridezilla" wedding.

by Anonymousreply 1709/12/2013

I guess they are counting on Youtube views, and Ellen to pay for their sham wedding. This has "Chuck and Larry" written all over it. ;)

by Anonymousreply 2009/12/2013

Hate this sort of shit with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 2509/13/2013

I'm very happy for them, but also envious since I've never managed to find that sort of love, nor had that many supportive friends and family that would even offer or agree to take part in such a thing even if I ever HAD met someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 2709/13/2013

Leave it to Utah to just now be getting in on the flash mob thing.

by Anonymousreply 2809/13/2013

Flash mob? So 90s

Flash mob proposal? So 00s

Gay flash mob proposal? Just too tedious

Please tell me these guys are Mormons, and this is only the first of a series of polygamous gay Mormon wedding flash mob proposals....

by Anonymousreply 2909/13/2013

Not much makes me cry. I admit it, I was in tears by the time the proposal came.

by Anonymousreply 3009/13/2013

I think they might have been inspired by this Portland couple from a year ago or so.

by Anonymousreply 3109/13/2013

Better YouTube Link here.

by Anonymousreply 3209/13/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3309/13/2013

Send a message to the couple, cause he is jumping for joy!

by Anonymousreply 3409/13/2013

Exactly r18, it's too cutesy for me, but I still approve considering where it happened.

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2013

I do to, R25. Private lives are to be private. And Home Depot? Ewwww. Horrid.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2013

Pompous, vein, self-important. Was this made as an authentic gesture or was this over-production put together just so these arrogant pricks could get slice of celebrity culture? People have become too media savvy, thinking everyone else should give a shit about their shit. This proposal was too manipulative to garnish a sincere emotion from its viewers.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2013

r37 It was a flashmob, not a parade, quit raining on it.

by Anonymousreply 3809/13/2013

They live in Utah. It's not like they can actually get married, so, why the big production?

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2013

R37 Wow, get help or get a boyfriend or something. You're very bitter.

by Anonymousreply 4009/13/2013

Not bitter and I have a great BF. Just bored with people who think they deserve so much attention.

by Anonymousreply 4109/13/2013

I knew this would stick in the craw of the bitter, unhappy queens on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4209/13/2013

This event, like any "Flash mob" of the past year or so, was sponsored by a corporation.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Home Depot's going after the gay market, and that's fine.

But it WAS sponsored by them.

by Anonymousreply 4309/13/2013

This is so inelegant and unromantic.

by Anonymousreply 4409/13/2013

R44, love is sometimes inelegant and unromantic. The 'groom' looked mortified. He did it because the 'bride' probably presumed he was incapable of such an over the top production. It was intended to show how extravagant his love is.

by Anonymousreply 4509/13/2013

Marketing meme for conformist slaves, paid for by a corporation.

by Anonymousreply 4609/13/2013

Well, then, one shouldn't engage in it, R45, or at least in its inelegant and unromantic aspects. By doing something so crass, it seems they were purposely avoiding the beauty and romance of love and embracing the ugliness of some of its aspects. Reach for the stars not for the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 4709/13/2013

"I'll never look at a two-by-four the same way ever again!"

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2013

You think they have threesomes?

by Anonymousreply 4909/13/2013

If they don't right now r49, wait until they are married for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 5009/13/2013

Everybody deserves at least that much attention.

by Anonymousreply 5109/13/2013

R25=sour grapes

by Anonymousreply 5209/13/2013

I'm not against this kind of thing in theory because celebrating love and the individual is fine BUT

1) I would be mortified if it happened to me; 2) In some sense it's family and friends imposing on your relationship; 3) those people did not practice enough and their choreography was unprofessional; 4) the idiot took out his phone to do shit even though there were cameras all around;

by Anonymousreply 5309/13/2013

[quote]Not bitter and I have a great BF. Just bored with people who think they deserve so much attention.

And yet you clicked on a thread titled "Watch this gay couple's Home Depot flash mob proposal" and then bitched about it. So yeah, you're bitter.

[quote]1) I would be mortified if it happened to me; 2) In some sense it's family and friends imposing on your relationship; 3) those people did not practice enough and their choreography was unprofessional; 4) the idiot took out his phone to do shit even though there were cameras all around;

You would be mortified if your family and friends love you that much to go through the trouble? OR you don't have friends and family that would bother? Unprofessional? They aren't professionals and they don't claim to be. If you are that much of a perfectionist you will surely die alone. Nothing or no one can make you happy.

by Anonymousreply 5409/14/2013

It reminded me of a drag queen show. Fake authentic. Rather than express himself directly he needed to sync to a song.

by Anonymousreply 5509/14/2013

Are they twins?

by Anonymousreply 5609/14/2013

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!

by Anonymousreply 5709/14/2013

When's the last time there were that many gays in Salt Lake City all in one place. And during daylight hours.

by Anonymousreply 5809/14/2013

I'm amazed this happened in mormon Utah. It was cute - definitely not for me - but it was cute.

They look happy - good for them.

by Anonymousreply 5909/14/2013

Wow so many cynics. It made me cry like a baby!! Then again, I teared up a little when I first saw "Wrecking Ball" too, so there's that. (because of one little part where Miley seems to convey real emotion.)

by Anonymousreply 6009/14/2013

Am I the only one that noticed how stereotypically gay they both looked (nobody seeing them alone on the street would ever confuse them for straight).

What is it with gays an tin-tin haircuts anyway?

by Anonymousreply 6109/14/2013

I loved it and love it. I would never have wanted a public proposal, either, but there have been attention-whore-y straight couples pulling this shit on the big screen at baseball and football games for-fucking-ever. Why shouldn't gay couples do it now that they can actually get legally married in many places (and, I fully believe, will be able to everywhere within a few more years)?

The part that got me was not the friends and siblings (I guess) or nephews and nieces, but the parents and (maybe) grandparent. This is what straight young people have always had, families grouping together to celebrate the engagement. For years, LGBT people had to make family from friends and mentors because their biological families, even if they still loved them, wanted nothing to do with their couple celebrations.

This is not nothing. This is huge. This is why I, personally, have given thousands of dollars to political candidates in hope of. This is what many of you canvassed and rallied and lobbied for equal rights to achieve.

This is progress, and it discourages me that so many of you can't recognize it when it's staring you in the face, even if it is in the form of a silly flash-mob video.

by Anonymousreply 6209/14/2013

Lots of bitter, unhappy people in this thread, classic DL.

by Anonymousreply 6309/14/2013

I prefer this more romantic proposal done by a fake movie trailer. And the song is better.

by Anonymousreply 6409/14/2013

The perception used to be that gay people were degenerate outsiders. The outbreak of AIDS was used to heighten that perception. All things considered, it's much better to be depicted today like ordinary people.

by Anonymousreply 6509/14/2013

The beaming looks on the Grandparents and the nephews was great. A lotta love in that family.

by Anonymousreply 6609/14/2013

I guess I can't buy my toilet seats at Home Depot anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6709/14/2013

Bravo, R62.

by Anonymousreply 6809/14/2013

These happy homos were guests on The Ellen Degeneres Show today.

I think I like them more after her interview with them.

by Anonymousreply 6909/19/2013

I want their divorce at Loews

by Anonymousreply 7009/19/2013

Well, this is cool...

by Anonymousreply 7109/19/2013

Sweet but SLOPPY, PEOPLE!! It's only real love if you make it CRISP! SHARP ANGLES! One and two and up and turn, sharp like knives, not cobras!

I would have made them start again.

by Anonymousreply 7309/20/2013

To answer r72 (who probably doesn't need his/her cynicism fed, but I'll do it anyway), yes they got gifts.

Through one of Ellen's sponsors, she gave them a honeymoon to Australia, 10K in cash, and some scuba equipment that it looked like both of them were too fat to fit in to.

by Anonymousreply 7409/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.