Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The new tennis pro at the Springfield Country Club

His name is Phillip and he's REALLY hot.

Seems kind of angsty though.

Any takers?

by Anonymousreply 60009/23/2013

I think Phillip is dreamy.

I've definitely fantasized about him.

by Anonymousreply 209/12/2013

So do I, R2. And so have I.

by Anonymousreply 309/12/2013

Phillip has crabs. He got them from that skanky cabana slut who can't seem to get my Martini right.

by Anonymousreply 409/12/2013

God, I used to dream about him every night. How fucking sick is that?

by Anonymousreply 509/12/2013

The heart wants what the heart wants, Chris.

For what it's worth, I've heard he's an extremely nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 609/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 709/12/2013

I loved when GA moved to AMC and fucked his wife's mom on his wedding night.

by Anonymousreply 809/13/2013

Grant A is hung like a horse. And still looks damn good for 54.

by Anonymousreply 909/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 1009/13/2013

OP, are you totally moronic? Are you trying to give away the soap threads or what? The trick is to use a title that they won't be able to deduce is from a soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 1109/13/2013

I always hated his sneer

by Anonymousreply 1209/13/2013

R10 has scabies.

by Anonymousreply 1309/13/2013

Or rabies...

by Anonymousreply 1409/13/2013

R11 It wasn't that bad. Don't forget the P & G soaps are dead so you need every hint you can get to find one!

by Anonymousreply 1509/13/2013

Still, OP could have used 'Has anybody been to McKechnie Castle in Edinburgh?' Something slightly more remote but recognizable to those in the know.

by Anonymousreply 1609/13/2013

R6 He is a very nice guy, very smart. Had a rep as being difficult on the show, but it was never about ego for him, he just wanted to do good work.

He and a certain actress who played a maneating character turned lesbian had a nasty falling out around the time of his dismissal in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 1709/13/2013

R17:[quote]around the time of his dismissal in 2004

Guiding Light fired [italic]Phillip Spaulding[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 1909/13/2013

mmm, there's that gorgeous hospital resident Kelly Nelson over there in his speedo. That ginger Morgan Richards and that sad little creature Nola Reardon follow him around like dogs in heat. The rumor mill at the hospital is that he rather spend his time with Ben McFarren. Wink Wink.

by Anonymousreply 2009/13/2013

I heard that he is morning a dead wife and has an overly possessive assistant!

by Anonymousreply 2109/13/2013

In this a P&G thread or a CBS in general thread?

by Anonymousreply 2209/13/2013

It's P&G, R22. There's a Brooke Logan thread floating around for the Bell soaps.

R19 - see the link. Yes, they fired him. He didn't come back until about 6 months before the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 2309/13/2013

The Reardon boarding house thread is the most successful soap opera topic we have ever enjoyed on datalounge! Congratulations P&G fans! You made the genre respectable with your literate, intelligent & dynamic conversations.

by Anonymousreply 2409/13/2013

Yes R24 I agree. And am very glad it survived.

by Anonymousreply 2509/13/2013

The return of Shannon O'Hara may have been a bust but the way it started must have stunned viewers. Jessica goes to a political rally, Duncan warns her against it for fear of arrest. He gets a call his wife has been arrested and is at the police station, he comes down and ... there's Shannon.

That's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 2609/13/2013

Dana Delany as McMurphy reminded me of Margaret Reed as Shannon.

by Anonymousreply 2709/13/2013

How come Search never expanded to an hour like its P&G sister shows? I think that would've bought it many more years, and might've survived on CBS. As it was, it was still highly rated when CBS cancelled it in favor of Conboy's Capitol. NBC acquired it, but it could never have succeeded amid NBC's low-rated line-up at the time or in the 12:30 slot against Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 2809/13/2013

What went down between Margaret Reed and Colleen Zenk Pinter? That was supposedly SOME feud. What's the 411?

by Anonymousreply 2909/13/2013

R29 It wasn't Margaret and Colleen (or at least not that I know of).

It was Colleen and Hillary Bailey Smith, who was playing Margo (now Nora on OLTL).

And it apparently centered around the fact that Colleen and Mark Pinter got together and dumped both their spouses to be together. I think they came to blows over that drama.

Mark ended up dumping Colleen when she had tongue cancer. What a prince.

by Anonymousreply 3009/13/2013

Thanks, r30. I know about Colleen and Hillary, but I know something bad went down between Colleen and Margaret, but I can't recall the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 3109/13/2013

I've heard Hillary can be a real bitch. There was gossip out of OLTL that she and Catherine Hickland were real "shit stirrers" on set.

by Anonymousreply 3209/13/2013

Is it me, or is there something very creepy about the way Alan looks at Philip? I hate to say this, but it seems almost lutsful.

by Anonymousreply 3309/13/2013

Grant Alexander said he didn't and doesn't think he is attractive.

Growing up he was fat and the ugly duckling.

Then overnight he grew up and handsome.

But that ugliness you feel stays with you.

by Anonymousreply 3409/13/2013

I've always liked Hilary Bailey Smith but she's lets out quite a cunty vibe. So does Coleen Zenk. It's no surprise that they came to loggerheads.

Cat Hickland was a shit stirrer? The girl makes Ron Moss and Drake Hogestyn look like master thespians!She must have a magic pussy if she could snare both Hasselhoff and Tad the Cad.

I caught Mark Pinter on a Bell soap recently and he looked terrible! He's one step away from being a day player on Days or GH really. That was a scummy thing he did to Coleen then again their relationship began on a flimsy foundation of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2013

Yes, Duncan going to Chicago to pick up Jess at the police station and finding Shannon was the last time a soap really shocked me.

I don't know that Search would have expanded to an hour easily. GL and WT were classically structured two-family shows (a la Irna), whereas Search (and the earlier cancelled Love of Life) were not.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2013

I always thought Grant had a fascinating face. I love his strong jawline. It's pretty remarkable for a man not to develop something of a receding neck as he gets older but Grant looks exactly the same as he did in the 80s, it's actually frightening.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2013

Why didn't they just incorporate Search characters into ATWT and GL? They could have sent Jo to live in Springfield, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 3809/13/2013

Canadian actress Sara Botsford (E.N.G.) played Duncan's psycho wife

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2013

I used to know one of the soap mag's writers and she said Colleen Zenk was a lovely person. Zenk got along great with Margaret Colin. She and HBS just didn't get along. It didn't help that HBS and Scott Holmes and Ben Hendrickson were palsy. She felt excluded and that she, as the vet, should have gotten a little more respect.

by Anonymousreply 4009/13/2013

Margaret Colin starred in 3 Men and a Baby as Tom Selleck's love interest - remember that?

by Anonymousreply 4109/13/2013

Margaret Colin is anti-choice.

by Anonymousreply 4209/13/2013

Other than Jo, who was memorable enough from Search at the end to send to another show? Liza was a tepid recast at that point. Sunny? Hogan and Patti, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 4309/13/2013

Margaret Colin is one of the few actors willing to go on record as being pro-life.

by Anonymousreply 4409/13/2013

Hillary is actually one of the most giving, fan-friendly, positive people in soaps.

Who's to say about Colleen and Mark? They had a long run. Yes, if he left her over the cancer, then that's shitty. Beyond shitty.

I think people who are good on the inside tend not to age on the outside. Of course, there are exceptios to that. Mabye that's why Grant stays young-looking.

In this interview with Mimi Torchin he talks about trying to be more kind.

by Anonymousreply 4509/13/2013

Just because a show doesn't have a classic 2-family structure doesn't mean it can't go to an hour. When AW, GL, and ATWT, not mention the ABC shows, expanded to an hour, they had already disbanded with that classic set-up. And GH obviously never even that format. I think Search was gypped of longevity.

by Anonymousreply 4609/13/2013

Grant always came off like a nice, humble guy. Very rare in show business. Kind of like Cam Mathison, but a little more talented. Compare them to people like Braeden, or Steve Burton, or Tom Eplin, who always seem/seemed like total pricks.

by Anonymousreply 4709/13/2013

[quote] Yes, if he left her over the cancer, then that's shitty. Beyond shitty.

He GAVE her cancer with all of the cheating he did!

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2013

I think Steve is actually a nice guy at heart, he's just an unfortunate product of that horrible Middle America ethos. Melissa Reeves is the same. I think they are actually decent people, they just have a lack of sophistication and worldliness which makes them seem a bit on the homophobic and artless side.

by Anonymousreply 4909/13/2013

Grant must be mellow because he exudes confidence. His large, pendulous dong helps in that regard, too.

by Anonymousreply 5009/13/2013

R38, they did- in a way- years later when Mary Stuart played Meta Bauer.

How's that for Meta?

by Anonymousreply 5209/13/2013

I used to read Soap Opera Digest religiously and thought the actress who played TR Kendall on Search had the ugliest eyebrows.

Then Jane Krakwowski finally figured it on on her own.

by Anonymousreply 5309/13/2013

I've seen it, R51. Said this in other threads, but here goes....

I was at a press event he was at for GL, and when I was in the mens room pissing, he was two urinals down.

He was so visibly big SOFT, out of the corner of my eye, that I had to take a more direct look. (Luckily he was talking to a third guy, who was washing his hands at the sink.)

He is bigger half-hard or soft than I get when I'm hard. Whether that means he's a shower, and not a grower, I don't know. It was thick and had a really nice big noticeable knob on it.

Believe me, I've played that 11 seconds over in my mind many times!

by Anonymousreply 5409/13/2013

I'm Kim Hughes and welcome to "Patterns."

by Anonymousreply 5509/13/2013

{quote] Is it me, or is there something very creepy about the way Alan looks at Philip? I hate to say this, but it seems almost lutsful.

If you mean the original Alan, Chris Bernau, there was probably a homoerotic subtext there, since Chris was gay.

In story, it could have had to do with Alan's love for Phillip despite the fact that Alan wasn't his biological father.

by Anonymousreply 5609/13/2013

[quote] I'm Kim Hughes and welcome to "Patterns."

Listen, toots....

by Anonymousreply 5709/13/2013

I loved during Marland's tenure when the characters would hem and haw about where to go for dinner.

Somebody would be like, "How about the Mona Lisa?" and they'd all say, "Great!" as if there were any other option.

by Anonymousreply 5809/13/2013

r52 - LOL! I forgot about that.

Grant and Beverlee McKinsey had an incredible connection, kindred spirits in a way. I think he was very much a son to Bev.

by Anonymousreply 5909/13/2013

They could always order take out from the Pampered Palate.

by Anonymousreply 6009/13/2013

r58, and don't forget the impromptu free dinners at the Hughes house when any visitor that came through the door was allowed to feast on Kim and Nancy's stew and dumplings! Insert some dialogue about a long handed serving spoon that's gone missing and voila, you have Marland's Oakale in high concentrate form!

by Anonymousreply 6109/13/2013

R61...I love watching those scenes...I loved that they talked about "real," things like a serving spoon in a dishwasher amongst stalkers, and John's perv plans on made it seem real and very, very Zen like. Everything post Marland was all the two people invovled in the storyline standing and talking and being hyper dramatic and made it less interesting.

I also love the interest in food and eating and dinner that ALL the characters had...also, where everyone was "John took Andy to dinner and a movie," Half the time spent in Oakdale was people talking about where to eat, what to eat, who to eat with, where so and so was at the time, and what they might be eating.(lol on Pampered Palate and yes, good old Patterns.) Its amazing that we didnt know what we had when we were watching it

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2013

R59, there was an article in the recent issue of Digest on Rick Hearst.

He said that he took over Alan Michael from Carl Evans, and when he took the story over, one of his first scenes was Blake calling him and telling him she lost their baby.

He cried during the call and when they yelled cut, Beverlee said "Omigod, we've got a real fucking actor here!"

He was happy to get her stamp of approval.

by Anonymousreply 6309/13/2013

yeah sure Bev, but Carl Tye Evans was hotter than Hearst.

by Anonymousreply 6409/13/2013

I think you mean, "Carl Tye Evans was gayer than Hearst."

by Anonymousreply 6509/13/2013

Now it makes sense. I thought HBS left ATWT because she was done acting- only to show up on OLTL for the next 20 years (and at one point simultaneously starring in a short-lived sitcom with Gene Wilder.)

She must have left because of a feud or something. I loved her as Margo. But Ellen Dolan worked well with Scott Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 6609/13/2013

R65 R64 I think what is meant here is "I wanted Carl Tye to administer penis beatings to my face on a regular basis more than I wanted Rick to administer penis beatings to my face."

by Anonymousreply 6709/13/2013

Speaking of Scott Holmes, he was another example of a recast that worked out well even though he looked nothing like his predecessor. The P&G soaps had a pretty good track record of hiring good actors instead of worrying about finding lookalikes.

by Anonymousreply 6809/13/2013

Amen to that, r68.

by Anonymousreply 6909/13/2013

Lindsay Frost managed to resemble Meg Ryan and be a good actress. When I saw her in "The Ring," I kept thinking how much she still resembles Ryan. It's not a full out thing you'd catch in a still photo, however...

by Anonymousreply 7009/13/2013

I've heard Scott was a regular at the East Side Club once upon a time, R68? Any takers?

And speaking of sex, there was a point when Grant's face got so thin, I was sure there'd be an announcement soon that he had AIDS. But he has since recovered from whatever made him so thin.

by Anonymousreply 7109/13/2013

Grant's wife looks old enough to be his mother. I remember her as an actress years ago, and she really aged badly.

by Anonymousreply 7209/13/2013

Is Jay Hammer bi-racial?

by Anonymousreply 7309/13/2013

Let's talk about the magic of Maura West.

by Anonymousreply 7409/13/2013

R74 She's so dreamy, she deserves her own thread. You could call it "Who Holds the Keys to Scott's Chastity Device?"

by Anonymousreply 7509/13/2013

R74 She's better on GH then on anything she's done before. No joke she's the saving grace of that show. Without her it would be unwatchable. She didn't have to carry ATWT. She was damn good in it but there was more of a balance to who was good on that show. I feel that way about most of the P & G soaps.

R70 I think Meg was cuter but LF was better at her role. LF had less of a goofy,Goldie Hawn thing going on. Meg had that in spades.

by Anonymousreply 7609/13/2013

Maura West could have been another Meg Ryan. It takes guts to leave the security of a successful soap role and go for Hollywood. Maura could have done it. She has IT.

by Anonymousreply 7709/13/2013

[quote] Speaking of Scott Holmes, he was another example of a recast that worked out well even though he looked nothing like his predecessor. The P&G soaps had a pretty good track record of hiring good actors instead of worrying about finding lookalikes.

by Anonymousreply 7809/13/2013

All the Alan-Michael's were hot.

The last guy, though...they fucked up because A-M by that point needed to be closer to 40, and Dempsey was clearly about 28.

AND they tried to pair him with Marina, so that meant someone at the writers' office forgot that at one time, A-M thought Marina was his baby.

(ew, ew ew)

by Anonymousreply 7909/13/2013

HBS didn't quit ATWT because she was through with acting. She wanted to pursue primetime

when that didn't work out, she wound up on OLTL

by Anonymousreply 8009/13/2013

Julia Lindsey Snyder was a worthy successor to Annie Dutton Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 8109/13/2013

Hubbard & MKA, more from the treasure trove:

by Anonymousreply 8209/13/2013

MKA & Bev, the infamous smashing of the wedding gifts scene:

by Anonymousreply 8309/13/2013

R82 Did Heather R look like a drag queen in that clip or not? No wonder we wanted Martha Byrne back. She might have not been gorgeous but she never looked like a cheap street walking tranny either!Her nose job was terrible as well. Not to mention her campy substandard acting. No wonder Terry Lester flew the coop......

by Anonymousreply 8409/13/2013

The clip at R82 is so mindblowing.

Sharon Case (now YR's Sharon) is in it. So is Joseph Breen.

And yes, Heather Rattray always looked very tranny.

by Anonymousreply 8509/13/2013

R83, that was the only time Alex ever apologized to India.

by Anonymousreply 8609/13/2013

I'm remembering someone getting tied up with Christmas lights???

by Anonymousreply 8709/13/2013

[quote]The P&G soaps had a pretty good track record of hiring good actors instead of worrying about finding lookalikes.

I completely agree.

by Anonymousreply 8809/13/2013

[quote] The P&G soaps had a pretty good track record of hiring good actors instead of worrying about finding lookalikes.

It is all due to P&G casting director Betty Rea

by Anonymousreply 8909/13/2013

GL had a few fabulous recasts for a while.

Liz Keifer and Rick Hearst, who were both better actors than their predecessors and made the roles their own.

As much as I love Bev M, Marj Dusay was great on her first go-round as Alex.

But then they had some heinous Mindy recasts, the bad Billy recast, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9009/13/2013

HBS says she tried out for the lead in the Diane English-created primtetime sit-com Love & War that debuted in 1992 in a cushy post Murphy Brown time slot.

The two finalists for the female lead were HBS and Susan Dey (of Partridge Family fame). Reportedly, Diane Enlglish thought HBS was better for the part and had more chemistry with male lead Jay Thomas, but ultimately cast Dey because she had more name recognition.

Shortly after losing that role, HBS signed on to OLTL as Nora.

As for Love & War, Diane English fired Susan Dey after one season and replaced her with Annie Potts. The show lasted two more seasons. But hardly anyone remembers it today.

by Anonymousreply 9109/13/2013

I remember how pretty Sharon Case was when she did GH but wow talk about that"hot librarian look with the glasses."Supposedly she didn't want to leave ATWT she wanted to explore Debbie's manic depression. That was Bell's snoozefest's gain and ATWT's loss really.

Speaking of Liz Keifer, isn't she doing one of those web series? I quite liked her on GL and I hope she finds work. One of the four remaining soaps(God knows what is happening with OLTL and AMC)could use her talents.

by Anonymousreply 9209/13/2013

ALAN Michael dating Marina was the sign for me to be over GL. It was horrendous!

Nothing was more shocking than Shannon's return from the dead. (except mube the killing of Maureen)

by Anonymousreply 9309/13/2013

Yes r87, I seem to remember that too. warren Burton's character tied up India with the Xmas lights... And the plugged them in lol!

Now there's one we don't hear much gossip about, Warren Burton. He was on several shows and he reminded me of my great aunt Jean.

by Anonymousreply 9409/13/2013

Remember when soaps went on those fabulous remotes ? I know they were rolling in the dough then but I wish they could still do them.

AW had 2 of my favorite remotes: Ryan and Vicky in the snowy Canadian Rockies and Jaime and Marly in Nice,France.

I remember running home after school to watch for their gorgeous remotes and the love stories

I know....MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 9509/13/2013

I can out Mary your Mary

Rachel, Mitch, Mack, and Janice in St Croix

by Anonymousreply 9609/14/2013

No Holden and Lily in Italy! Top that one....

by Anonymousreply 9709/14/2013

I can't decide....

by Anonymousreply 9809/14/2013

As far as AW remotes go, I second Rachel, Mac, Mitch and Janice in St. Croix. Amazing work, especially Rachel and Janice falling into the pool.

Another great AW remote was Cass, Cecile and Kathleen in Majorca in 1984.

That closing scene Cecile riding off in a yacht while Cass is on the dock cursing her, saying, "You're a bitch, Cecile."

Great stuff!

by Anonymousreply 9909/14/2013

Colleen Zenk is a sweetheart. A friend of mine worked on the show and said that there was unusually widespread fallout when she and Marc Pinter left their families to live together. Helen Wagner, for instance, asked to stop sharing a car with Colleen for the commute. But hard feelings eventually softened. ATWT was a very companionable set, with lots of long-lasting friendships and not much friction. Colleen was one of the family, and she eventually found her way back to the fold. My friend said that of all the shows she worked on, ATWT was by far the nicest -- in a different class -- though less so as Chris Goutman's reign, with its arbitrary favoritism and thoughtless disregard for the show's history and veterans, wore everyone down.

My friend also said that the cast and crew particularly liked Martha Byrne, who had the reputation of being the opposite of a prima donna. That may be why there didn't appear to be much resentment when her character took more and more airtime in the mid-eighties. Her leading men, especially Jon Hensley and Paolo Seganti, felt that even though she was younger than them, she lifted their performances beyond what they thought they were capable of. They were angry and outspoken -- unusually so, since they're both pretty easygoing -- when Goutman let her go, as was Elizabeth Hubbard, who thinks of her as a daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10009/14/2013

Out-Mary this, remote bitches: Kim Reynolds finds love at last with Nick Andropoulos in Greece!

by Anonymousreply 10109/14/2013

Kim and Bob's wedding is a fairly MARY!centric event.

by Anonymousreply 10209/14/2013

Kim was a slut who slept with her sister's man and treated her husband John like shit. She is no heroine.

by Anonymousreply 10309/14/2013

My favorite remote was in one in Florida or wherever when Reva went off the bridge in her speeding car screaming "I'M COMIN' BUD!"

by Anonymousreply 10409/14/2013

I won't digress to much from P&G but I liked the Budapest remote for Erica and Dimitri. Made we want to go there, and it worked for the story. Sometimes remotes feel like they are just a travel commercial with the actors posing in front of hot tourist places, but this was organic to the plot. Sadly, this was near the end of AMC being good, and in a couple of years would start its decline.

by Anonymousreply 10509/14/2013

Erica and Dimitri? Who? Are they from Somerset?

by Anonymousreply 10609/14/2013

No, I think they were on the mothership Another World in Bay City for a bit!;) There is only really one of the remaining network soaps that even does remote shoots.One of them doesn't even do exterior any more. As lambasted as the P & G soaps were, they at least went abroad and made the best out of what budget they had.They also didn't have camp, sci-fi sets like Cassadine Island or Eterna!No aliens either as far as I remember........

by Anonymousreply 10709/14/2013

P&G soaps didn't have camp? Oh my sides. Soaps by their nature are campy fun and not to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 10809/14/2013

[quote] P&G soaps didn't have camp?

Exhibit A The Clone storyline

by Anonymousreply 10909/14/2013

I think what r107 is trying to say is that the P&G soaps were not predominantly campy or defined by the fantasy element as opposed to Days and GH and the other ones.

by Anonymousreply 11009/14/2013

I would have loved Kate Collins to turn up on AW before it's cancellation playing young Ada in flashbacks of Rachel's childhood. I was so fascinated by the back story of those two, they were so much more gritter and down to earth than the cloying Erica/Mona on AMC. I tell you something, if Connie Ford had played Susan Lucci's mother, her character would have had that little bitch's mouth sewn shut.

by Anonymousreply 11109/14/2013

P&G had a special two-for-the-price-of-one "Bring Your Daughter-in-Law to Death" [italic]camp[/italic]aign in 1995. While ATWT's Orlena was poisoning Lily with lemon drops (or was it stamp glue?) in Malta, over at AW, Justine was sealing Vicky in behind a brick wall.

by Anonymousreply 11209/14/2013

After seeing GH, Y&R and the other ABC soaps shooting up in the ratings with far-out wild plots, P&G felt pressured to 'get with it'

They were like dinosaurs compared to the ABC soaps.

by Anonymousreply 11309/14/2013

Ada dancing in the kitchen. Simple times. It's not like you could switch on Y&R now and see Nikki doing this is it (reliving her stripper pole days with the mop and bucket)

by Anonymousreply 11409/14/2013

Thanks, R114. That was delightful. And it probably won't soon come again.

by Anonymousreply 11509/14/2013

[quotoe] Ada dancing in the kitchen.

Meanwhile DROVES of viewers where switching over to ABC & GH as Luke and Laura were out saving the world.

by Anonymousreply 11609/14/2013

I moved to Springfield in hopes of meeting one single person. I thought he was the fucking hottest thing ever. When he moved away so did I. I was always surprised he didn't find a bigger career outside of towns like Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 11709/14/2013

r116, you say that like it's a good thing. Every time they show a Luke and Laura clip, it's that fucking wedding which is the most unremarkable thing I have ever seen on daytime. If they want to demonstrate why that story hooked people, why not just show the rape scene? Better yet, remind them that Guiding Light did it much better with Roger and Holly.

by Anonymousreply 11809/14/2013

[quote] why not just show the rape scene?

It wasn't rape, it was a seduction

by Anonymousreply 11909/14/2013

Can somebody explain to me why Justine and Rachel were identical and not related? Why did Justine have the Dame Maggie Smith accent?

by Anonymousreply 12009/14/2013

That clip of Alex and it. I wasn't watching it much then, but I loved Mary Kay Adams--- but I remember at one point she got really heavy. I thought she was still beautiful, but I'm glad the Internet wasn't around then; she would have been slammed for being "fat."

by Anonymousreply 12109/14/2013

[quote]Rachel, Mitch, Mack, and Janice in St Croix

My all-time favorite remote – the visuals, the music, the story. I wish it would show up on YouTube. There's a flashback to Rachel and Janice falling into the pool, but I'd love to see the whole sequence.

by Anonymousreply 12209/14/2013

Frannie/Sabrina/Seth---loved them! Steve Bassett was underrated. Julianne was clearly a star..

by Anonymousreply 12309/14/2013

[quote]Julianne was clearly a star..

That's a matter of opinion. It's all about luck.

by Anonymousreply 12409/14/2013

R124 = Mary Ellen Stuart. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 12509/14/2013

Whenever I hear the word 'classy', Mary Kay Adams immediately springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 12609/14/2013

Frannie discovers Doug's shrine to Kim--creepy and my fave ATWT storyline.

by Anonymousreply 12709/14/2013

Incredible acting from John Wesley Shipp in that clip. Look at his eyes when he says "After you left Deja Vu, my life changed..." - absolutely terrifying! His charm & civility masked an absolute monster!

by Anonymousreply 12809/14/2013

R110 Thanks for that. I was referring to the camp,sci-fi styled sets like Cassadine Island(a poor man's Bond villain lair) and Eterna(an underground city!) Days and GH have been rife with vampires,demonic possession,an alien,international spy agencies, megalomaniacs that control the weather etc so on.P & G soaps in comparison were never that fantastical.

John Wesley Shipp. ....who was he topping at this time? Don't tell me that he was with Holden! I would just die.

by Anonymousreply 12909/14/2013

John Wesley Shipp's two Emmy wins. Such a handsome boy:

by Anonymousreply 13009/14/2013

[quote]"I've been given some wacky, wonderful storylines that haven't always been, you know, easy because they've been a little weird. I've been Amish. I've been a clone. And I've been a PRINCESS! But I'm mostly proud to be able to say that I have made my career in daytime television and I say that with PRIDE."

by Anonymousreply 13109/14/2013

JWS is a top? That shocks me...

by Anonymousreply 13209/14/2013

Didn't he top James Van Der Beek?

by Anonymousreply 13309/14/2013

I don't think Liz was better as Blake than Sherry Stringfield was.

Liz Keifer and the original Blake Elizabeth Dennehy are both fine actresses, but Sherry brought such a great energy to the show.

Watch how she handles herself with Bev's Alex in this scene.

That said, nobody could touch MKA in terms of actresses in that age range. MKA is one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 13409/14/2013

Can we keep this thread about P&G soaps please? I don't want to hear about sex!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13509/14/2013

Here's Phillip seeing teen Alan-Michael for the first time after he parachuted into the Bauer barbeque in 1987.

Is it me...or does he make a questionable hand gesture around 1:25?

by Anonymousreply 13609/14/2013

Lesbian vibe between Holly & Alex:

by Anonymousreply 13709/14/2013

Sorry - Sherry may have played a better bitch, but Liz was a much better rounded Blake.

And JWS can top me any time he wants!

by Anonymousreply 13809/14/2013

R137, is there a lesbian vibe in that scene?

Or does MG make every seen have a lesbian vibe?

Can that ever be turned off?

by Anonymousreply 13909/14/2013

[quote]November 28, 1992 Weekly interview with Terry Lester and Douglas Marland. November 28, 1992 Weekly interview with Terry Lester and Douglas Marland.

Q: At the time you were dealing with this offer, you were also dealing with an offer to create a new role (Frank's father) on Guiding Light. What tipped the scales?

TL: (laughing) It was a better part. No, I can't tell you that without getting my legs broken. These two people sitting beside me, for starters. I've known Laurie since he was a CBS executive, and I have admired Douglas' work since I began watching soaps 12 years ago.

Q: What can you tell us about Royce - and the name?

DM: Just from the lunch and from meeting Terry (when he came to New York last June to attend the Daytime Emmys), I immediately envisioned him as an architect. I think we did talk about (Ayn Rand's) The Fountainhead at lunch, and that may have clicked it into place. There are not a lot of architects in daytime, and architects are a very romantic profession. It's a man who works alone, who has a vision, who sees something and then puts it on paper and then supervises it until the end of the construction. It's someone who works alone, like a writer, and that kind of separates them from the people who work with a lot of people and it makes them more romantic. I have a Rolls-Royce, and I want a name to look and rounds like a person's character. Royce has class. I played Chris Keller when I was an actor in All My Sons. I always loved that name because it was short and snappy. So that's how Royce Keller came along.

Q: In what areas will we see Royce interact?

DM: The Lucinda group, because she wants him to stay on to design the Worldwide towers, and he moves very quickly into all of Oakdale. I think by the time he's been on the show two weeks he's mixed with everyone but the Snyders. And we'll get him to Luthers Corners eventually.

Q: Having created roles and taken over a role...

TL: Starting from the beginning is much more pleasant. Usually, when a character is recast it's because the actor playing it was popular, s oyou have to deal with that. You have to deal with the possibility of intense rejection, and you have to honor the character and his history and the actor who played the part while making it your own, and it's very tricky. It's a very difficult balance. I'm glad I had that experience; now I know what Peter Bergman went through (when he took over as Y&R's Jack). He was more successful at it than I was, as it turned out.

by Anonymousreply 14009/14/2013

Q: How does Royce compare to Jack and Mason?

TL: I would say someone like Jack had virtually no integrity at all, and Mason the same way, but probably to a lesser extent. I think Royce has a great deal of integrity because he has come from a not-so-fortunate background, and everything he has he has earned on his merits, and so his work and his word mean a lot to him. Whereas the two other guys were just liars and didn't care. [But] he's not a saint.

Q: Since this role is being created for you, are there elements of your personality we may see for the first time?

TL: Yeah, probably. I think this guy isn't a smart ass, for one thing, and I think people are used to seeing that from me. He's not without a sense of the absurdity of things at times, but he's still more serious and thoughtful, which I guess is like the private me, the one thing I don't show often.

Q: Did you have any trepidation about joining a cast with so many heavy hitters?

TL: Yeah! But I survived that once. When I started on The Young and the Restless I was just another blond, and it took me a year and a half to really figure out what to do about that. Actors are always worried about that, but Mr. Caso assured me months ago. There's one big difference in style between Y&R and As the World Turns, in that there are more ensemble scenes, and that's how this show can manage to have such a big cast, because so many people can work at the same time, whereas on that other show, it was two, maybe three, and the third one comes in and doesn't stay very long.

Q: What was your impression of Kelly (Menighan, who plays Emily)?

TL: Well, when I saw her on television before I met her, her attributes were obvious, and when we met we developed a real immediate rapport. She's kind of a no-nonsense person, but she has a sense of humor and she's very responsive when we work together. We're not ready for Romeo and Juliet, but I think we have the basis for a really good thing.

Q: Are there any plans for a Keller family?

DM: No. He will acquire his family as he goes - onscreen people.

Q: Most of the time we write about actors leaving New York soaps and moving to L.A. What was the reaction of your compatriots in California about your reverse migration?

TL: I had to stare down so many astonished looks. It's just people's habitual thinking. Everyone my age in California had this thing about California, the big migration. And it's no longer the promised land.

by Anonymousreply 14109/14/2013

Terry Lester, gone from this earth way too soon. THank you, R140-141.

by Anonymousreply 14209/14/2013

Oh my god...

by Anonymousreply 14309/14/2013

Interesting interview. Funny how TL admitted how Berman succeeded where he failed.However the most important question was missing. Doug, what did Terry's "feets" taste like?

by Anonymousreply 14409/14/2013

I meant : Bergman succeeded where he had failed.

by Anonymousreply 14509/14/2013

Doug Marland and Terry Lester - two men gone way too soon.

Marland died just a few months later.

by Anonymousreply 14609/14/2013

Lily finds out The Truth about Aaron, as well as an even more shocking truth:

by Anonymousreply 14709/14/2013

So sad how ATWT destroyed the character of Iva.

Wasted the potential of Aaron, of Julie....ugh. Pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 14809/14/2013

R148, what ever happened to Little Miss Seattle? Did she disappear before DM died?

by Anonymousreply 14909/14/2013

I loved Julie Wendell and Carly Tenney's friendship. Kindred spirits or what? Douglas Marland's number 1 siren officially handing over the baton to the blonde vixen who would come to define the show in its final years:

by Anonymousreply 15009/14/2013

One thread that ATWT always retained was the original bad girl Lisa playing Big Sister/Mother Hen to Oakdale's pariahs - Barbara, Julie, Carly (initially), Julia amongst others.

by Anonymousreply 15109/14/2013

I completely forgot about Julie and Carly having a connection, R150. I wish they'd kept Julie.

Two other things: why did they go to the trouble of making Jack a Snyder cousin when they could just as easily used him as the next Caleb. Graham Winton was long gone and it always seemed so complicated, having this Snyder-once-removed around.

Also, the SEP has to be my favorite ATWT set.

by Anonymousreply 15209/14/2013

Terry Lester was gay, right?

And did he die of AIDS or a heart attack? I hear conflicting reports.

by Anonymousreply 15309/14/2013

If Jensen Buchanan had decided to remain as Vicky when she and Tom Eplin travelled from one 'World' to the next, would she have seen her screentime increase or diminish? If you think about it, Maura West was the Jensen Buchanan on ATWT, in terms of airtime. To be honest though, Vicky had been a shadow of her former self since Anne Heche played the role all those years ago. I don't think AW fans were thrilled about ATWT reviving those characters. It's always a sore point when characters from a cancelled soap turn up on another because their past story developments are going to be A) Lost on viewers and B) facets of character from their home show may be ignored completely in order to integrate them onto the new canvas.

In my opinion, crossovers like this do not work.

by Anonymousreply 15409/14/2013

Good scene of Barbara laying into Carly when she returned from Hong Kong. I believe this was when Hogan Sheffer's material started airing. You can feel the electricity in the air here can't you? As if all the actors are coming to life again after that late 90s drought:

by Anonymousreply 15509/14/2013

r153, I have no idea. I don't think Terry would want us to pry. Let's pay our respects by continuing to discuss what an outstanding actor he is and how he lit up any show he graced with such a masculine elegance.

by Anonymousreply 15609/14/2013

R153, someone I trust not to lie about such things told me he used to hook up with Terry while he was on ATWT and my friend was going to Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 15709/14/2013

R153 Terry died of AIDS yes.It doesn't diminish what he did on the Bell soap,Santa Barbara or ATWT though.Terry was one of a kind. He is one of many that died from AIDS who appeared on P & G soaps. Just look at the Edge Of Night actors.

R154 I like Jensen she's a great beauty to be honest. Not the best Vicky/Marly combo though.Tom Eplin always had a smart alec look on his face. He seems like he's a bit of a frat boy. ABC tried something similar to what P & G had done but it hasn't worked either(the crossover after a cancellation).

by Anonymousreply 15809/14/2013

The last Alan-Michael was hung too. There was an episode where he was in his underwear and a bulge was VERY noticeable. Sadly there aren't too many of his episodes on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 15909/14/2013

Sometimes the promise of a bulge is the disappointment of "all balls." I had a friend with the biggest bulge, and, well, you get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 16009/14/2013

Terry did not deserve that fate. I've not read Jeanne Cooper's book but apparently she writes quite the love letter to him. He was a real star, a real leading man, a maverick.

by Anonymousreply 16109/14/2013

Terry Lester was hot n heavy with Paul Newman's daughter, Susan Newman

by Anonymousreply 16209/14/2013

The loss of Lester and Marland was definitely sad but I was destroyed when Douglas Watson passed away so suddenly.

He was on vacation and had a heart attack in his hotel's gym.

I cried like the Mary boy I was. I always wanted Mac Cory to be my dad.

by Anonymousreply 16309/14/2013

Me too, R163. And it was before I read Soap Spoiler Weekly, so I was truly as surprised as Rachel.

Once upon a time, Scott DeFrietas was asked why he thought ATWT was so popular, and he said it was because of "the fantasy of a large, multi-generational family that works." It is just a fantasy, obviously -- what's more dysfunctional than a soap family? -- but it is what drew me to the P&G soaps, I realized. And there was no family I more wanted to be a part of than the Corys.

by Anonymousreply 16409/14/2013

Mac Cory was the ultimate patriach, the self made man of wealth with a heart of gold - what could be more American than that kind of fantasy figure! It says a lot about the state of soaps that his successor in this function has Victor Newman, a cynical and bitter character all too prolific in real life.

by Anonymousreply 16509/14/2013

Have Scott DeFrietas and Matt Crane ever been in the same room together?

by Anonymousreply 16609/14/2013

Was Mac Cory "self made"? I wasn't around in the early days, but I thought I'd read that he'd grown up in a silver spoon household, too. No?

by Anonymousreply 16709/14/2013

R166, you are making me positively giddy.

by Anonymousreply 16809/14/2013

As a gay teen who hadn't come out Mac was the father I desired.

He loved his kids unconditionally. He would never turn away his child for being gay. Such a huge capacity to love in that character-be it his kids, his friends or his wife.

by Anonymousreply 16909/14/2013

Tennis, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 17009/14/2013

Mac and Rachel had some really vile arguments sometimes. Never have a soap opera couple adored and abused each other as much as they did.

by Anonymousreply 17109/14/2013

r168, I can't be the only one who gets them mixed up! They both married two of soap opera's most alluring actresses - Maura West and Robin Christopher. Not bad for a couple of fresh faced pretty boys, eh? I am convinced that if 'Andy' and 'Matthew' had been used in one of those ill conceived crossover scenarios, a black hole would have opened up in the universe and destroyed both 'Worlds' at once! I can't differentiate between them. There's some weird meta shit going on there.

by Anonymousreply 17209/14/2013

IMO Douglas Watson and Tony Geary are/were the best male criers in the soap biz.

They could tear up, do the full on ugly cry and every manner in between.

If they cried I'd be a boo hooing puddle right along with them.

I miss that about soaps. I loved being so moved by a storyline that I could be brought to tears. That is such a rare thing now.

I still remember Mac on the witness stand when he found out Matthew wasn't his. Mac sobbed in disbelief and I sobbd with him.

by Anonymousreply 17309/14/2013

Well, I never mixed them up, R172, but dirty blonde is a hair color I cherish. Also, Scott had a very oval face and Matt's was blocky, all right angles.

by Anonymousreply 17409/14/2013

Tearful Mary R173, when was that trial? I would love to have seen that, but I didn't start watching until 1988.

by Anonymousreply 17509/14/2013

The only saving grace of Douglas Watson's passing was that he died before having to witness the drastic decline in quality of the medium he had made his name in.

by Anonymousreply 17609/14/2013

Here is Mac on the witness stand having his own Karen Wolek moment - one for the guys! :-)

by Anonymousreply 17709/14/2013

R171, you are correct about Mac and Rachel.

She had a great line where she said that yes, Mac had all these other women who pursued him (as Rachel did), but the difference she said was, "I loved you."

I miss the days in which we knew all the soaps; now I can barely keep up on the four broadcast ones.

They're not as compelling.

by Anonymousreply 17809/14/2013

The vast majority of current soap fans want to be coddled. They would go mad if their 'couple' went thru a tenth of what Mac/Rachel did.

They loved each other deeply but they could also hurt each other just as deeply. Their court case for the custody of Amanda made Kramer vs Kramer look like playtime at the park.

The writing,acting,direction was as good as any movie. Soaps have never been as good as AW in it's prime

by Anonymousreply 17909/14/2013

Thanks r177.

by Anonymousreply 18009/14/2013

NBC throwing many of the 70s episodes of Another World in the Hudson is an act of cultural terrorism as far as I'm concerned. And yet only fans of the show seem to realize this. What Harding Lemay was turning out could rival any HBO original drama, all of which enjoy boxsets and reruns. And what do we get? What?!

by Anonymousreply 18109/14/2013

Yes, Mac was definitely the ideal father figure. Probably the best of all the father figures on any of the soaps. Loving and completely accepting, able to offer sage advice, but also had flaws. Not just a figure-head of the show, but an active character.

I'd say John Abbott came the next closest creating that ideal father figure after Mac Cory.

by Anonymousreply 18209/14/2013

OMG! Than you.

I kill for a cleaner clip.

by Anonymousreply 18309/14/2013

If I'm not mistaken AW's super fan named Eddie has a treasure trove of AW videos from back in the day.

In the past NBC has gone to him and used clips from his collection.

He has an AW website

by Anonymousreply 18409/14/2013

Excuse the typos.

I'll blame it on the tears.

by Anonymousreply 18509/14/2013

VW's accent definitely became more English once Rachel was with Carl. You can almost hear Connie Ford's voice speaking from heaven in this clip - "What's she talking like that for?"

by Anonymousreply 18609/14/2013

Back when DL had the good soap gossip someone said that Douglas Watson was bisexual and Charles Keating was straight.

They also said Vicky W. had affairs with both men. She nearly quit AW in the aftermath of Watson's death.

by Anonymousreply 18709/14/2013

Hey, what about me?

by Anonymousreply 18809/14/2013

Phillip, you are a demanding little thing.

Scroll back. You were discussed earlier.

by Anonymousreply 18909/14/2013

At one point P&G though VW and DW were too expensive so Mac and Rachel were going to take a VERY long cruise down the Dalmatian coast.

I heard DW was quite a dirty daddy-he may even have gotten into bed with castmate John Travolta when they were both in the Broadway musical Over Here! in 1973.

by Anonymousreply 19009/14/2013

I never thought much of Marland as a writer. His stories on ATWT were totally cliche-ridden. What made the show so special was the day to day writing, which entailed numerous characters interacting and gossiping (as a way to recap the plots), giving the show a much more fluid and naturalistic feel than most of the other shows. I think that is what soap viewers want to see most. The stories are secondary. The daily writing was brilliant, and I think that really served to mask Marland's flaws. Subsequent HWs essentially told the same tired old stories, but they tanked the show because they weren't nearly as adept as Marland at putting those type of brilliant exposition scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 19109/14/2013

I thought John Bolger(ex-Philip, GL & ex-Gabe, AW) was HOT!

by Anonymousreply 19209/14/2013

Well you can't blame NBC alone, there are only a handful of shows who had people running them with the foresight to keep their tapes in tact and not wipe them and reuse them. But even the shows with full catalogs aren't really doing anything with them. I would love to see Days, YR, and The Doctors from the beginning, but there's only a small market for these niche programs. Even PG with tapes for the majority of their shows going back to about 1978 don't really see the value in sharing them in any form.

Of the remaining shows, they're all missing three essential characters; the grandmotherly talk to, the grandfatherly talk to, and the busy body town gossip. I guess those types of characters have fallen by the wayside, but are essential on soaps.

by Anonymousreply 19309/14/2013

Vicky Wyndham's real name is Victoria Camargo. She's half Mexican. These days that Camargo name would have suited her rather well. Her son is using that last name as a stage name.

Oh and Vicky's faux English accent was just a little annoying. It sounded more like Grace Kelly's phony diction than a real English accent.Oh and VW had nothing on Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 19409/14/2013

Did any of the AW characters cross over to Somerset? I imagine characters like Ada and her dish rag did some Somerset episodes, since her brother Sam and his wife Lahoma were two of the lead characters in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 19509/14/2013

I used to wish my own father was more like Mac.

by Anonymousreply 19609/14/2013

The following characters crossed over to Somerset (45 miles away from Bay City) in the first year:

by Anonymousreply 19709/14/2013

Thanks r197.

by Anonymousreply 19809/14/2013

R192 I always thought John was hot too. I think if you put him and Grant side by side now John has actually aged better - and he's about 5 years older, too.

by Anonymousreply 19909/14/2013

Bolger looks good but I'd still chose Grant. Grant looks good and still has his hair.

by Anonymousreply 20009/15/2013

Hahaha, R199 R200. I thought you were talking about John Hudson and Grant Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 20109/15/2013

How interesting r201. So you noticed the homoerotic chemistry between Dack Rambo and David Forsyth as well.

by Anonymousreply 20209/15/2013

Yum! John Hudson was dreamy when he first arrived in Bay City

I remember him driving around, checking out his old high school, basket ball court, etc...all the while Springsteen's song My Hometown played in the background.

Great introduction of a character.

by Anonymousreply 20309/15/2013

Anyone else remember hunky Michael Nouri ?

by Anonymousreply 20409/15/2013

R202, I was actually thinking of Mark Pinter when I wrote that, but yes, I do recall an attraction between DR and DF in Grant's first incarnation.

by Anonymousreply 20509/15/2013

R202 Yeah John Hudson was perfect wasn't he?He had that mountain man act down pat. AW had some guys that weren't garden variety pretty boys like him. Remember Bill Espy? A good friend of mine looked at him and said that he looked like an action adventure guy,sort of like a soap version of Charles Bronson!

by Anonymousreply 20609/15/2013

Vicky Wyndham was top billed OVER both Connie Ford and Bev Penberthy who had more seniority.

Another World

Victoria Wyndham

Rachel Davis Cory

by Anonymousreply 20709/15/2013

[quote]At one point P&G though VW and DW were too expensive so Mac and Rachel were going to take a VERY long cruise down the Dalmatian coast.

Was it P&G or NBC? I was always told that P&G valued them very highly. Though it's certainly true that, storywise, they were relegated to humdrum domesticity for too many years.

by Anonymousreply 20809/15/2013

NBC paid the licensing fee to P&G

P&G paid the cast salaries and controlled the budget,

by Anonymousreply 20909/15/2013

R207 The Maggie Horton troll again? No matter Vicky deserved top billing no matter how misused she was she was the grand dame of that show. It could have been Anna Stuart BUT it was Vicky stayed the course.

R209 Don't think that the network doesn't or didn't have pull on any non network owned soaps and that included the P & G and Sony soaps.How do you think the ATWT and Y & R crossovers happened? The network CBS made it happen only with Sony and P & G's involvement.Just because Sony owns Days and Y & R don't think for one moment that NBC and CBS don't influence what goes on those shows.

by Anonymousreply 21009/15/2013

I didn't like Michael Baldwin crossing over to Oakdale.

It would have worked but A) He was Kirk McColl there and B) He didn't say to nuDiane, wow, you look just like Carly.

by Anonymousreply 21109/15/2013

I can still remember the three cold open scenes of the first ATWT episode I ever saw. Meg and Toni got married amongst soap bubble, Barbara came to the Mona Lisa with Paul and Andy and Lisa greeted them and Barbara told Lisa that with Hal and Margo in Greece together looking for Craig that Tom (still in absentia in DC) had lost. Then we cut to Betsy and David Stewart on the phone to Margo. Hal starts kissing Margo's neck and when she gets off the phone, they start full on making out.

by Anonymousreply 21209/15/2013

Rachel and Mac had a love like that song 'Halo' by Beyonce. When it was good, it was heaven.

by Anonymousreply 21309/15/2013

Did we ever know if Sandy escorted for men as well as women? Is Ilsa Fredericks around to field this question?

by Anonymousreply 21409/15/2013

R209/R210 P&G soaps were harder to work on, from what many writers and producers said, because they had to get not only the network but P&G to sign off on stories. AND the advertisers, and, and, and.

This blogger wrote some pretty good stuff about P&G shows, and he did a good breakdown here. Including:

"I keep going back to these thoughts when I hear things like, “But this story happened under XYZ’s watch! He/she is responsible! They are ultimately the producer!”

I remember being on the P&G message boards years ago. Alina Adams, who has written several of the P&G related books, was a moderator. After a particularly brutal exchange on why X or Y story hadn’t happened, or hadn’t gone the way it should, Alina explained the chain of approval needed to get on the air.

It was a dizzying list of names, and writers and producers were hardly factored into the algorithm. Network heads, affiliates, advertisers, P&G, CBS – they all had a say in the storytelling, much more than they’d ever had before."

by Anonymousreply 21509/15/2013

I remember Eileen Fulton commenting in one of the mags that she felt sorry for the HW at the time, Lorraine Broderick, because she had heard that none of her stories that were vet-centered were getting approval from P&G or the network. The only one she was really able to push through was Kim's heart attack, but even that was a watered down version of what she had proposed.

by Anonymousreply 21609/15/2013

I remember when ABC ran a commercial for it's soaps and Alexsander was on ABC at the time. There he was poolside in a Speedo.

Grrrrrrrrrrr .....too bad there aren't screenshots around from those 80s days.

by Anonymousreply 21709/15/2013

There's a famous episode of GL where Grant clearly got a hard on while watching the Mindy character. He was in a pair of shorts and in one shot you could see a pretty sizeable tent.

by Anonymousreply 21809/15/2013

R210 CBS had absolutely NO say in what went one with Y&R and B&B

Bill Bell had total creative control, his past record speaks for themselves.

Bill Bell informed CBS what storyline were coming up, and the network had ZERO say in it.

by Anonymousreply 21909/15/2013

Aleksander was on AMC in the mid-90s. He wore his speedo on Capitol in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 22009/15/2013

Grant got his hard on while watching Mindy do yoga in August 1983.

I'm amazed they let that scene air.

by Anonymousreply 22109/15/2013

[quote] Bill Bell informed CBS what storyline were coming up, and the network had ZERO say in it.

That may have been the case while Bill Bell was in charge, but it sure ain't the case now.

Supposedly the fact that CBS and Sony couldn't agree on story is a big reason why Josh Griffith just quit.

by Anonymousreply 22209/15/2013

proof or it didn't happen

by Anonymousreply 22309/15/2013

r223 Would love it if I still had the tape of the episode.

But I don't. So, I guess by your definition it never happened.

The scene of Mindy doing yoga while Phillip watched was included in the opening credits of that era. You'll see Phillip in shorts leaning against his knee to cover the hard on from the camera. It's at the 24 second mark in the video linked below.

That shot included in the opening credits came about 15 seconds after he got the erection on camera. Grant quickly scrambled to cover it up by leaning against his knee.

by Anonymousreply 22409/15/2013

My favorite GL opening was the disco version!

Complete with Nola's screen and Tony's "Yah" karate kick!

by Anonymousreply 22509/15/2013

Kim Zimmer talked about it at events, too. I think she may have taken a swing on Grant at some point, the way she talked about it.

by Anonymousreply 22609/15/2013

r226 Kim may have talked about it.

It was likely the talk of the studio for years!

But Kim wouldn't have been there to witness it. She didn't join the show until November 1983.

Kim was already married to AC Weary by the time she joined the show. But she could have hit on Grant (he's only four years younger that she is). According to her book, Kim, Grant, Robert Newman, Michael O'Leary and others of the younger cast often went out partying after work. Several times to Studio 54.

by Anonymousreply 22709/15/2013

This will be the MARY!est comment in the entire history of DL, but this still makes me cry when I hear it.

It just takes me back to the summer I started watching the show, all those characters...all the people who watched with me and are no longer alive...

yes, I know....MARY!

by Anonymousreply 22809/15/2013

[quote]all the people who watched with me and are no longer alive...

Same here, R228. There were three guys who watched GL and we'd have dinner Sunday nights and inevitably talk about happenings in Springfield. And they're all gone now. One died just a little before Maureen Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 22909/15/2013

Well, cheers to us and to those who aren't with us anymore...and all our onscreen friends too, R229.

by Anonymousreply 23009/15/2013

Nola seemed so fun.

Iva was so dour.

by Anonymousreply 23109/15/2013

The brilliant new JJ on Days reminds me of Carl T. Evans.

Colleen Zenk's major feud in the early 80's was with Jackie Schultz. They were both vying for leading lady on ATWT and Jackie had the producer's balls in her hands. Literally.

Beverlee McKinssey despised the acting of both Dana Kimmell and Catherine Hickland on Texas and got them both fired.

by Anonymousreply 23209/15/2013

Ooh, new dirt at R232!

I know Colleen had quite a few feuds over her tenure.

And yes, R231, I agree. Iva was an interesting character but far less fun than Nola. I was kind of bummed that she never got to evolve past Sob Sister #1.

by Anonymousreply 23309/15/2013

Morgan Englund was the hottest guy ever on GL.

by Anonymousreply 23409/15/2013

I've heard the story of Grant and the hard on; I think it may have made it into an issue of a soap mag, but I never saw it.

If he got hard watching Mindy to yoga that pretty much kills the gay rumors.

I heard Peter Reckell held a pillow over his crotch when Shawn and Belle walked in on Bo and Hope making out. I think it was more the actor's choice, meaning "Bo" had the hard on -- not Peter, if that makes sense.

I miss these shows, the characters were like old friends; families stood by families; friends were friends. There were so few guy-centric friendships on soaps.

Rick and Phillip were one; I thought the Phillip/Alan-Michael dynamic was nice, too. Phillip was always trying to protect A-M from making the same mistakes with Alan that he had.

by Anonymousreply 23509/16/2013

While Phillip was a favorite, of course, I think Grant probably had a lot of fun playing DJ on Capitol and Alec on AMC; both of those guys got to be TOTAL dicks, really messing with ladies' emotions.

by Anonymousreply 23609/16/2013

I watched Capitol but I rember so little of it.

I don't even remember Grant being on it.

by Anonymousreply 23709/16/2013

R237, it was a 6 month gig in '86, I think. He was back on GL in late 86 in time for the Christmas episode.

He should have won the Emmy for Phillip dethroning Alan at Spaulding in May '88.

by Anonymousreply 23809/16/2013

R234 I met Morgan Englund once while walking through Chelsea in the '90s. He was as charming in person as he seemed on the show. He was coming out of a building on 7th Avenue as I was walking past, and I kind of cruised him and I thought he was cruising me back. He gave me the biggest smile. And then he did this little hand gesture, and I realized I had simply recognized "Dylan Lewis" and he was responding to that.

I asked him if it bothered him, being recognized by strangers, and he said he actually thought it was pretty cool. He had said something in a SOW interview about noisy neighbors in the building where he lived, and we talked about that for a minute. And then he went his way and I went mine.

I thought he was the hottest guy ever, too. However, even though he lived in Chelsea, I didn't get the impression he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 23909/16/2013

R219 I can't believe that. When Bell wanted to do that Katherine Chancellor lesbian storyline decades ago in what happened? Don't tell me that Screen Gems,Columbia Tri-Star/Sony whatever the heck they called themselves didn't get involved. As well as the network. As the previous poster said, P and G soaps had to go through a whole array of OKs to do storylines.

R232 Did Kin Shriner get along with La Bev? I didn't catch Texas at the time. I've only seen snippets of it on you tube. I was so GH obsessed at the time I didn't bother to put on NBC 4 in NYC at the time!However I did catch the other P & G soaps though.

R234 he's that wretched witch,Cloris Leachman's son isn't he? He was good looking I don't know about the best looking though.

by Anonymousreply 24009/16/2013

R234 R240 Morgan Englund made me want to take my pants off more than any GL cast member until Sean McDermott sunned himself on a rock as the second Hart Jessup.

by Anonymousreply 24109/16/2013

[quote] When Bell wanted to do that Katherine Chancellor lesbian storyline decades ago in what happened?

According to The Soap Opera Encyclopedia written by Christopher Schermering

With the audience reaction overwhelming negative, the lesbian storyline - the first real homoerotic plot in daytime TV - was quickly truncated, marking the first time Y&R backed away from controversy.

-page 242

If the network and Screen Gems,Columbia Tri-Star/Sony didn't want the story, it wouldn't even made it that far. It wouldn't have made it on-air. Bill Bell was the one who killed it, not the network of the production company.

by Anonymousreply 24209/16/2013

Who were the gays on the P&G soaps?

by Anonymousreply 24309/16/2013

R242 It still doesn't stipulate that the production company or the network isn't involved. From the dawn of television, the suits at the networks have been involved in shows even if they are not producing them. There is a Bell soap thread so let's continue it there,it's not fair to the great fans of P & G soaps to hear about the rather boring Bell soaps.

by Anonymousreply 24409/16/2013

[quote]it's not fair to the great fans of P & G soaps to hear about the rather boring Bell soaps.

True dat.

by Anonymousreply 24509/16/2013

R243 Joel Crothers on Edge Of Night. He had that gay clone/Tom Selleck look down pat.

Terry Lester on ATWT.

Dack Rambo on AW claimed he was bi, take that for what it's worth.

Douglass Watson from AW was supposedly bi as well.

by Anonymousreply 24609/16/2013

I always thought Morgan Englund was such a potato-faced bore. Never liked him or saw the hotness.

Almost every actor who played Hart was hot. I did like Frank about a hot man!

Both the Phillips fed my fapping fantasies. Frank Dicopolous had pecs for days when he first came on, too.

That's one thing GL got lazy about in later years...not enough hunks.

by Anonymousreply 24709/16/2013

[quote] Who were the gays on the P&G soaps?

On GL, definitely Chris Bernau (and as we know now, Maureen Garrett.)

On ATWT, I believe Benjamin Hendrickson.

by Anonymousreply 24809/16/2013

Damn, the guy who played sexy Daniel St. John (David Bishins) turned into a hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 24909/16/2013

Does Michael Park still go to the bathhouses?

by Anonymousreply 25009/16/2013

Who was Mike Bauer's assistant that briefly dated Hilary? Was his name Neil or something?

by Anonymousreply 25109/16/2013

Leonard Stabb (Hart #1) was one of the most handsome young men ever on GL.

Frank Grillo (Hart #3) was incredibly sexy. He's had a very good career since, he's doing a lot of feature film work.

Sean McDermott (Hart #2) was incredibly nelly so he didn't last long (3 months?). I'll never forget his delivery of the line "It's not all about you, Dylan!" That made me giggle uncontrollably. Very cute, though, and a good singer.

by Anonymousreply 25209/16/2013

Frank Grillo was disgustingly hot. He and wife Wendy Moniz (Dinah) live or used to live in Chelsea. I'd see them walking on 8th Ave from time to time a few years ago. He is just head-turning gorgeous IRL, with BDF to boot. He's the type of guy who looks like he was built for sex. He'd almost always have flip-flops on, and you feets trolls should know he had beautiful feets.

by Anonymousreply 25309/16/2013

Frank Grillo nude:

by Anonymousreply 25409/16/2013

Frank Grillo has aged really well. He went from a Guido-type guy to a really hot, lean Italian daddy.

by Anonymousreply 25509/16/2013

My ranking of PG soaps from best to worst of all time:

1) Another World

2) The Guiding Light

3) The Edge of Night

4) As the World Turns/Our Private World

5) Somerset

6) Search for Tomorrow

7) Lovers and Friends/For Richer For Poorer

8) Texas

9) Young Doctor Malone

10)The Brighter Day

11) From These Roots

12) The Catlins

13) The First Hundred Years

by Anonymousreply 25609/16/2013

Frank Grillo's career is quite interesting. He did a lot of forgettable prime-time series/movie work post GL, but in the last few years, as he's approached 50, his film career seems to have really taken off. And yes, he still looks great. Turned 50 this past June.

by Anonymousreply 25709/16/2013

r256, I agree with your first three, though I'd probably swap Edge with GL. GL was the more popular, but Edge was a more consistently and better written show IMO. ATWT was the marquis P&G show, but there was something so average and banal about the show for most of its run that it doesn't deserve to be #1. I'd probably also rank Texas a little higher. The second year was amazing, and I think people remember that more than L&F/FRFP. Was the Catlins a P&G soap? It was all kinds of awful, but kinda fun to watch. I never saw From These Roots, but from everything I've read, it was a very literate show and very ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 25809/16/2013

r256, are you old enough to remember Our Private World? Was Lisa the Carrie Bradshaw of her time?

by Anonymousreply 25909/16/2013

If you were Megan Gordon, would you have chosen Leonard Stabb or Joe Lando?

by Anonymousreply 26009/16/2013

Joe Lando. He had that rugged mountain man look. Seems like he's an animal in bed. I've always wondered if Jessica Tuck would know anything about that? She must have sampled his wares dontcha think?

by Anonymousreply 26109/16/2013

I must not have been watching when L. Stabb was on OLTL. How soon before Megan died was he on?

by Anonymousreply 26209/16/2013

I think I would agree with R256's top four based on the best of each of those shows. Nothing on daytime has ever compared to Harding Lemay's AW. I think Edge of Night was consistently better throughout its run, but GL's great years were were more sublime than EON's. Of course, if you'd factor in the Peapack years, GL would tumble down the list.

The only other shows on the list that I've seen are Search for Tomorrow and Texas. I only saw NBC's version of Search, which I understand was much inferior to its CBS incarnation. While I love Beverlee McKinsey, Texas was pretty darn bad until the last six months or so, until Pam Long took over as headwriter.

by Anonymousreply 26309/16/2013

Anyone care to assemble a list of actors who appeared on at least 4 P&G shows?

The first that come to mind are Ann Flood (Edge, From These Roots, AW, SFT) and Maeve McGuire (Edge, SFT, AW, ATWT, GL). Flood is one of my all-time cool and classy. I'm sure there were several others.

by Anonymousreply 26409/16/2013

I have to say one of the greatest twists I ever saw on a soap was on EDGE when Nancy was being held prisoner at the plastic surgery clinic.

The surgeon was re-doing faces of criminals to give them new identities. Nancy tried to uncover it and was kidnapped. Doris Belak played his bitchy wife Beth to evil perfection.

Draper and April got sucked in too and they were about to be KILLED by Beth, the reluctant doctor and their henchman Sharkey (played by Christ Goutman!) Also, one of the "criminals," his face in bandages, was helping, too.

Then, all of a sudden the bandaged bad guy helps overpower the baddies and our heroes are saved.

I was like WTF?

The bandages come off and it's Mike Karr!

Today, that would get out on either a magazine cover -- Mike standing with the bandages in his hands, heroine Nancy and evil Beth flanking him.

It's better when the surprises come out on air.

Spoilers certainly played a role in what's happened to soaps.

by Anonymousreply 26509/16/2013

the best soaps for me were when writing, acting and production all came together and surpassed the sum of their parts.

Marland's GH was brilliant; you felt like Port Charles was a community. So much of what the show celebrated in its 50th stemmed from what he did (and Pat Falken Smith carried on with).

Marland's GL was brilliant and his ATWT was, too.

I enjoyed Pam Long's GL very much, too.

by Anonymousreply 26609/16/2013

Pam Long started with a bang on GL but then it quickly went downhill.

by Anonymousreply 26709/16/2013

Whatever happened to William Gray Espy, anyhow?

by Anonymousreply 26809/16/2013

I don't think Marland could work his magic in today's world if he was still alive. Budgets wouldn't allow all those characters appearing in the same episode, and executives wouldn't let his stories smolder for so long before igniting.

by Anonymousreply 26909/16/2013

Why were April and Draper written off the show and how did they exit?

by Anonymousreply 27009/16/2013

Pam Long worked wonders at GL, even if she did "Texas-ify" it. I thought her writing during her second stint in the late 80s through about 1990 was much more layered and complex. Re Marland, I've posted this before, but his typically soapy stories were elevated by the scenes with multiple actors. That device worked to great effect, but, yeah, in today's economy, he could never have pulled that off.

by Anonymousreply 27109/16/2013

[quote]Spoilers certainly played a role in what's happened to soaps.

Agreed. I know I started watching a lot less once I knew what was coming up. Imagine if we knew beforehand that it was actually Marlena's twin that was killed by the Salem Strangler on DAYS, or that Edward was faking his heart attack to test Tracy on GH, or that Karen would take the witness stand and reveal her life as a prostitute on OLTL. The impact would be considerably lessened.

by Anonymousreply 27209/16/2013

r262, he was on the show from 1990-1991 before Megan & Jake eventually got back together and married. I think he remained till late summer 1991.

by Anonymousreply 27309/16/2013

r251, do you mean Derek Colby played by squinty-eyed Harley Venton?

by Anonymousreply 27409/16/2013

R265, Mimi Torchin was the worst thing ever to happen to soap opera. She was working her poison in SOW long before the internet became spoiler heaven.

by Anonymousreply 27509/16/2013

Thanks, R273. I did not start watching OLTL until Michael Malone started writing it, which IIRC was shortly before or after D. Marland's death.

by Anonymousreply 27609/16/2013

I agree about Marland in today's world; I think Carlivati juggles a lot of characters.

Much of it comes down to if the actors will take pay cuts.

by Anonymousreply 27709/16/2013

I wonder how long Marland could have kept the horrible from happening. If they hadn't had to replace him, ATWT would have continued being the same great show it had been for years.

There might never have been any MADD or FMB or Susan Batten or even Peapack on GL if Douglas Marland were still alive.

by Anonymousreply 27809/16/2013

[quote] There might never have been any MADD or FMB or Susan Batten or even Peapack on GL if Douglas Marland were still alive.

Maybe, but once the increasing competition from multiple cable channels and the internet came to be, some executive would be pushing him to write stories that last only two weeks and he probably would've quit in a huff.

by Anonymousreply 27909/16/2013

I would have loved Doug to have gone to AW and rejuvenated the Matthews clan.

by Anonymousreply 28009/16/2013

Didn't Stabb get the GL gig right after he was written off OLTL?

by Anonymousreply 28209/16/2013

I love how "Search for Tomorrow" had a few nice, quiet theme songs over the years until the final year it went all synthesizer. That final theme has aged worse than any of the others.

Dig Jane Krakowski at the :21 and :38 mark.

by Anonymousreply 28309/16/2013

Of all the P&G shows, I could see "Edge" being adapated as a prime time show. It won't happen but it would probably be the only one that could be tinkered with enough.

by Anonymousreply 28409/16/2013

I loved the McCleary brothers!

by Anonymousreply 28509/16/2013

That final "Search" theme was a single and the video featured the McCleary brothers.

by Anonymousreply 28609/16/2013

Eileen Fulton defending daytime on some talk show. GO GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 28709/16/2013

Britney looks like Sharon Tate on that new record cover. It's actually scary how much so.

by Anonymousreply 28809/16/2013

Sorry, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 28909/16/2013

While there were many Hart Jessups, the original one was Jeff Phillips. He later played Matthew Cory on AW. Phillips played Hart as a wide-eyed innocent. Later incarnations would have Hart playing a schemer.

For the record, the actors to play Hart were:

#1 Jeff Phillips, 1991-92

#2 Leonard Stabb, 1993, smoldering hot, but had brain injuries after the hang gliding accident.

#3 Sean McDermott, 1993, subbing for Stabb until they could write the character off.

#4 Marshall Hillard, 1995, was let go after about 6 months; while he tried hard in the role, he always looked like he was acting, never felt real.

#5 Frank Grillo, 1996-1999

by Anonymousreply 29009/16/2013

Someone upthread mentioned Sharon Gabet on Another World. The character she played was Brittany Peterson, the deaf wife of Catlin Ewiing.

They brought Gabet on in mid 1985, shortly after Edge of Night was cancelled. She was the spoiler for the super-hot Sally Frame-Catlin romance, but the character never really worked. Later, they had her involved with some of the Love family happenings. I think she was involved with Peter Love

Gabet left when her contract was up at the end of 1986 and went to OLTL as Melinda Crammer.

by Anonymousreply 29109/16/2013

GL always had backstage flings but they were a very tight group- like family.

However, it went over like a lead balloon when Frank Grillo dumped his wife for Wendy Moniz. He dumped his wife 2 weeks (!!) after she'd delivered their second child and she had zero idea that anything had been going on.

Most of the cast was very outraged at Grillo/Moniz's blatently bad behavior. His wife would come to the studio crying and begging him to come home.

In all honesty I never thought Grillo/Moniz would last. I thought it would just be a very hot tempestuous fling but they surprised everyone.

by Anonymousreply 29209/16/2013

[quote]His wife would come to the studio crying and begging him to come home.

It sounds way more interesting than what was actually going on in front of the camera. This was around the time of the Reva clone, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 29309/16/2013

R292 TPTB got back at them by splitting them up as a couple, and throwing in Laura Wright as Grillo new leading lady.

They made Moniz be the odd person out, scheming and manipulating everything to get Hart back.

In the end Moniz shot Grillo and killed him off!

Leaving Laura Wright's character pregnant with Hart's baby.

by Anonymousreply 29409/16/2013

The bright spot on Guiding Light at that point was when Annie Dutton aligned herself with Dinah and Beth, the women scorned of Springfield and formed them into a power block.

by Anonymousreply 29509/16/2013

The best moments of the Cassie/Dinah rivalry.

by Anonymousreply 29609/16/2013

"I still have SIMPLY ANNIE! That fragrance is going to sell off the shelves and I'm going to be a millionaire!" "Who would buy a perfume named after a psychotic bigamist?"

by Anonymousreply 29709/16/2013

Rumor had it that Hunt Block coukd hear Wendy and Frank G fuck in their dressing room and would fap to the moans...

by Anonymousreply 29809/16/2013

Touching scene here with little Lizzie helping Annie dress for her wedding. Annie may have been a lunatic but Watros always knew how to play the poignant beats of the character:

by Anonymousreply 29909/16/2013

Douglas Marland also created an R-rated cable soap named "A New Day in Eden" that was apparently racy for its time and nowadays would just be a lot of sideboob. It had a deflowering in a barn, a shower rape.

Anybody ever see it? I believe Jane Elliott was on it and Susan Flannery may have directed?

by Anonymousreply 30009/16/2013

Patrick Mulcahey said it was awful r300.

by Anonymousreply 30109/16/2013

Watching that Cassie clip is so disheartening. Laura Wright's been playing the exact same character her entire soap opera career and there is no variation in how she delivers a performance. It is the same tone of voice, the same snarl. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 30209/16/2013

R278 Peapack is happening to all the current soaps in some way in the form of budget cutting. That whole cinema verite' look that GL adopted was to cut down costs. The remaining soaps(especially the Sony ones and GH) look at the bottom line like never before.

R300 Some of the promos ended up on you tube.It's another footnote in the "anals(sic)" of soap operas like Rituals. I'm surprised that Susan Flannery didn't push an all female orgy on that show.

by Anonymousreply 30309/16/2013

"A New Day in Eden" only lasted those 13 weeks.

Then Marland co-created "Loving," which was one of the most traditional of the newer soaps.

by Anonymousreply 30409/16/2013

I like Laura Wright, probably because I consider her very smart. Unlike a other soap performers, she seems to understands her limitations and made a nice living for herself in daytime.

by Anonymousreply 30509/16/2013

[quote] I like Laura Wright, probably because I consider her very smart.

by Anonymousreply 30609/16/2013

Jacob Young would've made a great Andy Dixon recast.

by Anonymousreply 30709/16/2013

[quote] Jacob Young would've made a great Andy Dixon recast.

Especially if Andy started giving his ass up to Simon or Mike Kasnoff.

Or if he'd have admitted to Holden that he lusted after him.....

Not that Jacob has ever lusted after a costar or anything.

by Anonymousreply 30809/16/2013

I loved how Marland would unravel a mystery. And back before online spoilers, he would quite often surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 30909/17/2013

R307 You did that on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 31009/17/2013

[quote] I loved how Marland would unravel a mystery.

There were so many stories where he would reveal something and I GASPED!

Beatrice being Duncan's daughter, not his sister.

Hank Eliot coming out to Iva.

And the Doug Cummings reveal as Kim's stalker.

by Anonymousreply 31109/17/2013

r311, we gasped AT ALL of the shows back then, because there were no spoilers. Our collective MARY gasping wasn't exclusive to Marland's stories.

by Anonymousreply 31209/17/2013

When Rachel opened the door on Friday and her face took on the look of shock...

...and then we find out it's Iris (about whom I knew nothing) on Monday...

...and then they masterfully recap who Iris is...

...and then sometime later we learn Iris is [wait for it] The Chief.

And that's interwoven with the AW version of "The Necklace"...

...and we learn more and more about Iris as her story and Josie's interplay, culminating in a week at the Snowflake Ball...

by Anonymousreply 31309/17/2013

It was so old-school cheesy the way the shows used to re-enact, in the prologue, the cliffhanger scene from the day before. Was watching some Dark Shadows eps on hulu, and it was hysterical the way they'd re-enact these scenes. Soaps were always so cheesy and intentionally funny, which made them such a delight to watch.

by Anonymousreply 31409/17/2013

Is there such a thing as "new-school cheesy," R314? Examples?

by Anonymousreply 31509/17/2013

It's a commonly accepted redundant term, r315. Kind of like sow-frau. I hope that frames it in a way making it easy for you to comprehend.

by Anonymousreply 31609/17/2013

I remember in the old days, one of the best Friday cliffhangers was just a telephone ringing. Sometimes it was the knock at the door, but the phone ringing was the best.

by Anonymousreply 31709/17/2013

I've read that the last "genuine" spoiler was James Stenbeck on ATWT pulling down his monk's hood to reveal he was still alive to his terrified wife Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 31809/17/2013

One very vivid cliffhanger for me was back around 76/77 on AW. Olive was married to John Randolph but was fucking architect Evan Webster. She convinced Evan to kill John. Evan and John struggled with the gun and then they both fell behind the sofa, out of camera view. We heard a shot fired, and we wouldn't find out til Monday which one was shot. It's total cliche now, but seemed so fresh and exciting back then.

by Anonymousreply 31909/17/2013

Olive was such a good villainess. Those were the days when her, Rachel and Iris used the word "undermine" in a sentence all the time.

by Anonymousreply 32009/17/2013

Late 70s, early 80s ABC soaps were coming on strong with more flash, glitz, skin and young people having a ball, barely clothed.

As a result the P&G shows looked like a dinosaur, compared to the fast paced action at ABC.

They never recovered from how strong the ABC soaps were against them.

by Anonymousreply 32109/17/2013

R321 Your ABC shows sure are "strong" today, aren't they?

I always thought the ABC soaps were for dumb people. Not as dumb as the people who watched the Bell soaps, but certainly dumber than a P&G fan.

by Anonymousreply 32209/17/2013

R322 they are still on the air, and on the internet.

Can't say the same for the P&G soaps.

Where are they anyways?

by Anonymousreply 32309/17/2013

And PG's response was updating all of the show openings, all the shows got new theme songs and an influx of new younger characters. ATWT had Tom and Margo on adventures against Mr. Big, Another World SORASed Jamie and Dennis and brought on a young Rachel in Blaine. Edge of Night brought on Nicole's little sister and Kelly and Gavin. GL had Nola and Kelly and Morgan. I don't remember what Search did. PG always made stupid mistakes like this.

by Anonymousreply 32409/17/2013

R324 don't forget the Disco set they added on ATWT in response to AMC Disco that Erica owned!

by Anonymousreply 32509/17/2013

[quote] I don't remember what Search did.

They had Travis and Liza as P&G answer to Luke & Laura. They even permed Travis hair to look like Luke!

Then on P&G Texas they had Lurlene exclaim 'You mean like Luke & Laura!'

Once ABC started dominating the afternoons (Love in the afternoon) P&G could never recover.

by Anonymousreply 32609/17/2013

That's right, they all got discos. Mitch Blake had a disco, they had the Unicorn on Edge of Night, did GL and Search get a discos?

by Anonymousreply 32709/17/2013

[quote] did GL and Search get a discos?

The opening of Guiding Light was set in a disco!

by Anonymousreply 32809/17/2013

Actually, the ABC shows appealed to a more youthful, sophisticated urban audience, while the P&G shows' audience was more midwestern, uneducated and frauish. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 32909/17/2013

The "updates" in the 80s killed some of the smaller soaps, but AW, ATWT and GL survived and in some cases, flourished. Marland and Pam Long era GL and Marland's ATWT were as good as many other eras.

Lots of outside reasons (women not at home, the OJ trial) hurt soaps but P&G chased all their loyal viewers away by making their shows a copy of the dark, Guza-led GH.

Mobsters in Springfield, and making Dusty Donovan, a cheap Sonny the cost of chasing away vets like Ed and Holly on GL, Johnny D on ATWT - you know, anyone we actually GAVE two shits about.

by Anonymousreply 33009/17/2013

I agree--I think ATWT's James Stenbeck revealing himself to Barbara was the last time I was generally shocked at a soap. Not long after that spoilers were everywhere, and it got even worse when the internet soap sites popped up.

by Anonymousreply 33109/17/2013

TV Guide did an early spoiler by reporting on John and Lucinda's marriage the week before it aired.

by Anonymousreply 33209/17/2013

I totally agree with R330. Younger and more flash does not necessary make a better story.

by Anonymousreply 33309/17/2013

[quote] but AW, ATWT and GL survived

Not AW. While ATWT and GL had some golden periods in the 80s & 90s, AW could never get its act together.

by Anonymousreply 33409/17/2013

The problem with the P&G soaps is that they were in a lose-lose situation. The shows seemed hopelessly anachronistic. If they did nothing to modernize the shows, they'd have no chance of getting the younger demo. But if they, did modernize them, they ran the danger of looking totally desperate. ATWT and GL were best able to bridge this gap. SFT probably suffered the most.

by Anonymousreply 33509/17/2013

[quote] Younger and more flash does not necessary make a better story.

For four straight years (1980 to 1984) General Hospital, All My Children and One Life To Live finished 1-2-3.

No other soap could touch them.

by Anonymousreply 33609/17/2013

[quote] Not AW. While ATWT and GL had some golden periods in the 80s & 90s, AW could never get its act together.

It did well in the 80s, or at least well enough.

What killed AW in the 90s was what eventually killed the other shows - instability.

AW had something like 8 EPs and 10 HW's in a decade.

You'd get used to characters and a plot and WHAM! Presto change-o, a new group, new focus.

AW was painful to watch.

ATWT and GL both had the same writers/producers for the last few years, but they'd had too many changes, especially GL, in the years before that and lost a lot of the audience with every change.

by Anonymousreply 33709/17/2013

NBC wanted AW to be like Days of our Lives (which it followed in many markets)

It was like an ABC soap following a P&G soap.

It just wouldn't work.

by Anonymousreply 33809/17/2013

AW never really got its act together after 1980. There were some quality and ratings spikes here and there, most notably mid-80s and then again late-80s, but nothing sustained. There were just too many cooks stirring the pot to establish any clear vision. It's a tribute to the always stellar casting that the remaining viewers were as dedicated as they were.

by Anonymousreply 33909/17/2013

Watching that GL opening from the early! I had forgotten about some of those people. My mom and brother watched GL and I started getting hooked on it when I was about 10 or so (too young!)and I loved Nola, Kelly, Vanessa, Holly, Phillip, Beth, Rick, Mindy, Hillary, etc...

I started losing interest when Reva came on and ate the show.

by Anonymousreply 34009/17/2013

You must mean General Hospital, R323, the only one left of the ABC soaps. It was always too boring to watch, especially since it was on opposite Guiding Light (when GL was good).

The other three are dead, dead, dead.

by Anonymousreply 34109/17/2013

[quote] I started losing interest when Reva came on and ate the show.

To be fair, I don't think Reva ate the show THAT much, except for when she was with Kyle (basically, it was the only story that was working then).

But Pam Long wasn't good at balancing characters, and she overused Josh/Reva and the point where Zimmer, Grant A, Michael O'Leary all left in 1991 because they were just exhausted. They'd done 5 shows a week for 4 years or so.

That was one of the best things about Curlee/Demorest/Reilly when they succeeded Long - all of a sudden, every character got some airtime, and new characters attached to old ones - Julie, Hart, Kat - were introduced.

by Anonymousreply 34209/17/2013

[quote]But Pam Long wasn't good at balancing characters, and she overused Josh/Reva and the point where Zimmer, Grant A, Michael O'Leary all left in 1991 because they were just exhausted. They'd done 5 shows a week for 4 years or so.

They were such good shows, though, R342. Such good shows. That was when I really liked GL.

by Anonymousreply 34309/17/2013

I agree, R343. I liked Long era GL but also liked the next few years as well or better.

But Josh/Reva/Sonni/Will was some stuck-to-the-TV-screen story. And I loved Harley, loved Blake, loved Holly from the second she appeared (without knowing anything about her and Roger at that time).

Tomorrow, by the way? 4 years since the last episode of GL.

by Anonymousreply 34409/17/2013

R344 I just missed the Sonni/Solita years. I found out later (HOMICIDE) I love Michelle Forbes.

If you like her too, check out THE KILLING, an excellent cable series in which she is the very best performer. Seasons 1 and 2 are available on netflix.

I also liked hot, hipsterish detective Joel Kinnaman.

by Anonymousreply 34509/17/2013

The great thing about Josh/Reva/Sonni/Solita is that at some point, the writers' strike happened and you really didn't know what the FUCK was going on.

And it was STILL good.

Mostly because of Newman, Forbes and yes, Zimmer. The Sonni-and-Reva on the bridge scene was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 34609/17/2013

And I loved how you knew it was Solita if she was smoking and listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Sonni was in sweater sets, having chats with Alexandra.

by Anonymousreply 34709/17/2013

Roger Octopus' Official Soap Opera thread at ZetaLounge: The Place For People Too Cool for DataLounge!

by Anonymousreply 34809/17/2013

That is one thing that I've always disliked about soaps is the copying. Soaps have done it forever, if something is working on one show network execs just want soap writers to copy what's working on other shows without understanding why it's working.

For instance in the 70s all the soaps copied YR. Then in the 80s they all copied GH. Then in the 90s they all copied Days. No one ever took that time to figure out why YR, GH, and Days worked in those decades. They just blindly copied.

by Anonymousreply 34909/17/2013

R348 The best post in the Roger Octopus thread is this one, in which Sam Ford of Fast Company writes about a book by Lynn Liccardo, which talks about the demise of the soap opera. She talks about ATWT, and it is called "As the World Stopped Turning." It's kindle-only.

by Anonymousreply 35009/17/2013

As the World Stopped Turning

by Anonymousreply 35109/17/2013

I miss storylines like Sonni/Solita, Doug Cummings or Who shot Jake.

Those storylines were so well crafted it was like reading a great mystery novel.

Now a days viewers want SLs to wrap up quickly and move on to the next thing.

They have no idea how excellent soaps really were.

by Anonymousreply 35209/17/2013

R349 Good points. I think Pat Falken Smith going over to Days and doing the DiMeras and Bradys successfully imported that GH formula to a certain degree. Remember when AW was becoming another version of Days in the 80s? They even had Thomas Ian Griffith sport had a Peter Reckell like beard on!Also Mary Page Keller had a decidedly Hope Brady styled hairdo. In terms of GH and Days in general, the Bond villains, vampires, and demonic possessions were hard to emulate especially by the P & G who were far more reality bound. The Reva clone plot was mild compared to half of the Dark Shadowy/sci-fi stuff done st GH or Days.

R341 No. Nice try but you're wrong. I loved the P & G soaps but they are dead and gone. GH is still on ABC and OLTL and AMC are still made for the internet. BTW ABC has talked about syndicating AMC and OLTL to ABC stations in case Katie is bounced.

by Anonymousreply 35309/17/2013

I felt so bad for the actors on GL during the final low budget years. It looked like amateur hour at the local public access cable station.

by Anonymousreply 35409/18/2013

[quote] The other three are dead, dead, dead.

So are all the P&G soaps.

by Anonymousreply 35509/18/2013

R355 gets today's Most Perceptive of the Obvious award.

by Anonymousreply 35609/18/2013

I watched AW in the mid-80s when the ratings were terrible and Margaret DePriest was writing. There were far too many characters on the fringe so they created the Sin Stalker and killed a lot of them off.

Except "Special Guest Star" Crystal Gayle who survived.

by Anonymousreply 35709/18/2013

I started watching AW at the beginning of the writers strike in 1988. It was the most compelling thing I'd ever seen on TV. I found out that Mr. Lemay may or may not have been writing it at that time.

by Anonymousreply 35809/18/2013

Lemay at least put the outlines together for it, if he didn't write the breakdowns.

by Anonymousreply 35909/18/2013

Ada's dish towel and Reva's red dress should be in the Smithsonian. Any other iconic P&G stuff you'd put in there?

by Anonymousreply 36009/18/2013

Don Hastings' rug. It should have received a Special Emmy for Best Supporting Hairpiece.

by Anonymousreply 36109/18/2013

Great suggestion, R360

the Red Swan AW

the necklace of Rachel's that Josie lost AW

the Hubbard Squash ATWT

the engagement ring Harley dropped in the disposal GL

the P&G products Dylan proudly displayed in his first apartment GL

The window in the mental institution where Beth and Phillip wrote hearts on the frozen window GL

by Anonymousreply 36209/18/2013

James Stenbeck's return was definitely a shocker for me. Loved it! And another surprise that wasn't spoiled for me was the return of Grant Aleksander as Phillip. I think it was Rick who took a call from Phillip during a Friday episode at the end and all of a sudden you could hear Grant's voice on the other end. Very exciting, because sorry, John Bolger was a REALLY puzzling recast.

by Anonymousreply 36309/18/2013

John Bolger is a very good actor.

He was just wrong for Phillip.

But in fairness to Bolger, Grant had made such an impression as Phillip, that no one else stood a chance in the role.

by Anonymousreply 36409/18/2013

I totally agree, R364. Grant owned the role of Phillip.

by Anonymousreply 36509/18/2013

Ada's dish towel is probably excrement by now.

by Anonymousreply 36609/18/2013

Agreed R364.

I remembered a soap blogger writing the same thing a while back, and some good points, too - including the idea that Bolger and Mary Kay Adams had their own quirky chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 36709/18/2013

John Bolger was hot in "Parting Glances."

by Anonymousreply 36809/18/2013

Why no love for Sherry Stringfield?

by Anonymousreply 36909/18/2013

Because she's not a great actress R369. She was OK as a bitch but she wasn't all that deep in other departments.

by Anonymousreply 37009/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 37109/18/2013

R370 Betty Rea said she was one of the best actresses she ever cast.

She was cast on GL after Betty saw her in a showcase, and went from graduating from SUNY straight to GL.

From GF she went straight to NYPD Blue right to E.R.

by Anonymousreply 37209/18/2013

[quote] I think it was Rick who took a call from Phillip during a Friday episode at the end and all of a sudden you could hear Grant's voice on the other end.

I remember that, and we heard him on the phone to Alex too, and then at the end of the Friday tag I think we saw him.

by Anonymousreply 37309/18/2013

I liked Sherry a lot. She went onto greater fame on ER or one of those prime time drama shows.

by Anonymousreply 37409/18/2013

Any y'all remember me?

by Anonymousreply 37509/18/2013

Yeah, you were the REALLY annoying Reardon.

by Anonymousreply 37609/18/2013

Anyone remember me?

by Anonymousreply 37709/18/2013

I remember how a friend of mine loved how Sherry made the jump from the soap world to prime time. He was excited when Sherry ended up on NYPD. However she hasn't become a film star, which I would like because Meg Ryan became one. BTW Meg Ryan is a shitty actress. She makes Sherry look like Meryl Streep in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 37809/18/2013

Mary Kay Adams was so good as India von Halkein.

by Anonymousreply 37909/18/2013

Now you're talking R379!

by Anonymousreply 38009/18/2013

Mary Kay Adams ruled. Would have loved to have seen her in scenes opposite my other fave from that era, AMC's Kate Collins.

by Anonymousreply 38109/19/2013

R381, they actually did work together!

Collins was Liz Atherton, Phillips' floozy secretary he was messing around with after his marriage to India.

India showed up to Phillip's office after he left town (when Grant left, while they were casting John Bolger), and she was shocked to run into Liz because India thought Phillip had taken Liz away with him.

Liz explained to India that Phillip went away alone. It was the beginnings of setting the stage for the Phillip/India alliance that later formed when Bolger took over.

by Anonymousreply 38209/19/2013

Mary Kay Adams was just freakin' brilliant.

The role was originally India Raines, Beth's cousin, but after seeing how regal MK could play the part, the writers changed it to Alex's European stepdaughter.

I laughed out loud at her zingers over Beth. Floyd has India at gunpoint and raves about Beth's goodness. "They don't make 'em like her anymore," Floyd said.

India, who was Floyd's prisoner, said: "Thank God."

I honestly thought Phillip was going to kill India as she was forcing him into marriage.

This holiday scene from 1984 was brilliant: we see India's vulnerability, Phillip's sarcastic strength and the beginnings of Phillip and India forming a partnership.

by Anonymousreply 38309/19/2013

There was very briefly a terrible Mindy. Ann something or other. Good lord!

by Anonymousreply 38409/19/2013

Mary Kay Adams actually showed up for a hot minute on AMC in the early 2000s when Passanante was writing. She played a throw-away role of the manager of the Lacy's department store during some stupid shoplifting story I think. It's not listed in the imdb profile, but it was her. I remember being shocked to see her in such a one-off forgettable role.

by Anonymousreply 38509/19/2013

Going to that You Tube link I saw some GL from summer of 1984. The show was on fire then and displaced GH from the Number 1 spot for a few weeks. Then in the fall everything went to hell, the recast Ed, obscured the Bauers, the Reardons and everything became Reva and that stupid Infinity Plot line. I wonder what when wrong at that time.

Also, there is a hilarious scene homoerotic scne with Phillip and Rick with shirtless Phillip in shorty shorts, standing while Rick is sitting, so his head is right in Phillip's crotch. Phillip proceeds to work out while boasting of his one night stand with some girl he picked up (India) and Rick sniffing the clothes she left behind. Weird and I wonder how MOL and GA could get through it with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 38609/19/2013

Richard Van Vleet was terrific on AMC and had that leading-man look that Peter Simon lacked, but he just didn't work as Ed Bauer. He had no chemistry with Ellen Dolan, and the writing at this time, as r386 mentioned, was falling apart.

by Anonymousreply 38709/19/2013

Van Vleet was okay, I guess. He just wasn't Peter Simon.

by Anonymousreply 38809/19/2013

Is Mary K. Adams a lesbian? I've always had a feeling she might be one.

by Anonymousreply 38909/19/2013

Wow, I had no idea Maureen Garrett posts on DL. Welcome, Ms. Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 39009/19/2013

Yes, the show started falling apart in early 1985.

Three Reardon siblings all left the show within a few months of each other.

Grant Alecsander left and was replaced by John Bolger. John's a good actor, but Grant was irreplacable.

Richard Vav Vleet, as r387 said, was great on AMC as Chuck, but just wasn't Ed Bauer.

They also shoehorned Kyle Sampson onto the canvas when the character wasn't needed or very well thought out. Larkin Malloy was fantastic on Edge, but just didn't fit on GL.

They also brought in Frances Fisher and Elizabeth Taylor's son Michael Wilding to play record producers in a storyline that never gelled.

Soon after that, the bizarre Infinity hypnosis storyline started and really took the show off the deep end.

The show that had been can't miss TV since Pam Long started writing it in May 1983 was easily missable by May 1985.

by Anonymousreply 39109/19/2013

R391, who was writing GL in the summer of 1989? It was excellent then, and had been so for some months (I don't remember exactly when I started watching, but I don't think I ever saw Chris B. as Alan Spaulding).

by Anonymousreply 39209/19/2013

Aleksander was the definitive Phillip, but I actually think Bolger, who's the better actor, worked for the darker, more adult storylines they were writing for Phillip in the mid-80s.

by Anonymousreply 39309/19/2013

r392 Pam Long was back at the helm in 1989.

She left in late 1985. They had a revolving door of writers for the next two years. She came back in late 1987.

As has been mentioned upthread, when she returned, you could tell immediately a new writer was in charge. Scenes were crisper, dialogue fresher. The difference in the writing was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 39409/19/2013

I think the most notorious clunker during Long's absence was the Paul Valere whodunnit focusing on Chelsea Reardon. No one cared about any of the characters involved and was a lesson in how exactly NOT to write a murder mystery. Also, someone got the "wise" idea to bring on Victor Garber as a love interest for Kim Zimmer's Reva. Yeah, sure, ok. There were some touching stories, like India and Dory, but besides that, not much else.

by Anonymousreply 39509/19/2013

In the 80s and 90s, if Maeve K. and her sister in law M ate together in a restaurant, I can assure you that Maeve would have gotten noticed more and gotten more autograph requests.

by Anonymousreply 39609/19/2013

[quote]I think the most notorious clunker during Long's absence was the Paul Valere whodunnit focusing on Chelsea Reardon. No one cared about any of the characters involved and was a lesson in how exactly NOT to write a murder mystery. Also, someone got the "wise" idea to bring on Victor Garber as a love interest for Kim Zimmer's Reva

Well you remembered all this so it must have had some kind of impact!

by Anonymousreply 39709/19/2013

[quote] Well you remembered all this so it must have had some kind of impact!

It was SO BAD!

by Anonymousreply 39809/19/2013

I think that the slide is 1985 was so remarkable as everything was so great before it! I read that the network said to go "bigger," and to ignore the Bauers and the Reardons. The thing was, when all the families were going strong the show hit number 1 and then fell off in the fall back to No. 7.

The Bauers were decimated as they recast Ed, Mike left, they killed off Hillary and Charita Bauer's illness progress and she died in the winter, (which wasnt addressed for a YEAR.) This all happened within a few weeks to a month!

Then we got Reva jumping out of planes with Kyle and landing on anAmish farm. And God I HATED Kyle FREAKIN' Sampson!!!

by Anonymousreply 39909/19/2013

r399 I agree completely.

Show just went on steroids and forgot what was making it great. I understand CBS was putting a lot of pressure on Pam Long about amping things up and moving the Bauers aside. That contributed a lot to her departure.

The show that was must-see TV in for 18 months 1983-1984 became why-bother TV by end of 1986.

by Anonymousreply 40009/19/2013

Krista Tesreau was a great teen Mindy. She had the best chemistry with The 4 Mouseketeers and with Jordan Clarke

What was the actress' name who played the sexy vampy Mindy ? The one Roger was fucking while married to Alex ?

I remeber being so impressed by her. She held her own against Bev and Zaz. I was surprised she never made it on another soap or in primetime.

She was beautiful and sexy and could act.

by Anonymousreply 40109/19/2013

Kimberly Simms was Mindy #2. She was great. She had a completely different take on Mindy than Krista, but the writers did a nice job of transforming Mindy into a sex kitten. She also had great chemistry with Jordan Clarke, who played her father, Billy.

The subsequent Mindys -- Ann Hamilton and Barbara Crampton -- were both very forgettable.

As I recall, Vince Irrizary had real-life relationships with all three of the those Mindys while playing opposite them on screen as Nick.

by Anonymousreply 40209/19/2013

R401. You are thinking of Kimberley Simms, the only Mindy Lewis I ever knew. I was surprised she never ended up anywhere else, the way Kristina Tesreau did, playing Tina on OLTL.

I remember KT's Tina because she fed all the kids ice cream after Megan died, which seemed like something Bitch Tina would never do (I hated Andrea Evans, in case you can't tell). When my friends were dying in the late '80s and early '90s, the survivors at each juncture would get together and eat Haagen-Dazs. It remained a tradition until there were only three of us left.

Though I liked Kimberley Simms just fine, after seeing Kristina Tesreau on OLTL, I imagined at times that I'd've liked her on GL, too.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

by Anonymousreply 40309/19/2013

Kimberly Simms was my favorite Mindy. Krista Tesreau was a little too hicky for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 40409/19/2013

Catherine Hickland was campaigning to be Mindy #3. Even her good friend Vince Irizarry tried to go to bat for her, but JFP felt she was all wrong for the part.

She cast Barbara Crampton instead (after the Ann Hamilton debacle)

by Anonymousreply 40509/19/2013

[quote]As I recall, Vince Irrizary had real-life relationships with all three of the those Mindys while playing opposite them on screen as Nick.

The single least-appealing actor in all of daytime, he was ugly and he slurred his words. He was a reason I gave up on GL.

by Anonymousreply 40609/19/2013

What went down with Judi Evans.

She said the cast was really mean to her. And she didn't get along with Vince Irizarry at all.

I know she was going out with one of the directors, but soap people dating each other is quite common.

by Anonymousreply 40709/19/2013

R407 She may have been too liberal for him. Years ago, I read he was a major supporter of the antiabortion movement, maybe marching in an anti-Roe v. Wade demonstration in DC.

by Anonymousreply 40809/19/2013

Judi Evans was only 18 when she was cast on GL as Beth. She was from California and had never even seen snow until moving to NYC for the part.

For a while, she was dating John Whitsell, who was a GL director at the time. He was rumored to be very controlling of her.

As far as the cast goes, Grant and Michael O'Leary liked to tease Judi and she didn't respond well. That lead to animosity between Judi and Grant, which is why she was more than happy with the Beth-Lujack pairing.

The other thing to consider is that Judi was carrying a heavy storyline with Bradley having molested his step-daughter. Maybe she just couldn't shrug off the teasing and the controlling boyfriend while carrying such an emotional storyline. I've heard in real life Judi is very laid back and boisterous, can cuss like a sailor.

I've never heard anything about Judi and Vince Irizarry not getting along.

But Vince was dating Kristi Ferrell (who played Reva's sister Roxie) at that point. Vince dated most of his leading ladies -- even had a daughter with Signy Coleman when they were on Santa Barbara together.

Judi is one of the few leading ladies he didn't date.

by Anonymousreply 40909/19/2013

KT was fine as Mindy. The other ones not so much. Then again Andrea Evans owned the Tina role. Karen Witter did a goofy imitation and KT to her credit did her own thing. Which was straight outta the Southland!

Vince Irizarry had all three Mindys? Really? I thought that KT was hot and Barbara Crampton was something else as well.He must have a great line of bullshit if he could pull that all off.

R406 OK VI was a pro-lifer.To each his own. I wonder what his beef with Judi really was?

by Anonymousreply 41009/19/2013

I think Vince and Judi got along well. It was Grant and Judi that had issues. Grant got along TONS better with Beth Chamberlin. Michael O'Leary seemed like a sweetie, though with a devilish streak. Can't imagine anyone not liking him.

by Anonymousreply 41109/19/2013

KRista Tesreau was such a cutie as Mindy, and was so sweet when she let her little girl side out with HB and Billy. Good memories. I did like Kimberly Simms, too, but it was a different portrayal.

On a side note, Kristi Ferrell was also a real cutie. Any gossip on her?

by Anonymousreply 41209/19/2013

I liked Beth Chamberlin, but thought Judi Evans had the most interesting "Beth" storylines during her tenure.

And yeah, R412. I had a gay boy crush on Kristi Ferrell. I could never figure out why they did not bring Roxie back rather than create a new sister for Reva. I had pretty much stopped watching the show so I cannot recall the actress or the character.

by Anonymousreply 41309/19/2013

[quote] For a while, she was dating John Whitsell

There's your answer.

Pro tip: actors generally give major shade to anyone fucking the producer, writer or director.

by Anonymousreply 41409/19/2013

Mindy vs. Kimberly. it's a tough call as to who the 'better' Mindy was.

I think it's apples and oranges. Krista created the role and could do humor; Mindy could have been a bitch but was lovably spoiled.

Krista's Mindy showed up a Christmas with gifts for everyone and new hubby Kurt said to her: What happened to the Mindy who wasn't going to put things first?

Mindy: "Oh, I got rid of her."

Simms had the ability to go up against Bev and Zas as a previous poster noted; she was brilliant, understated. She really made the role her own.

They brought Simms back for HB's funeral. I wouldn't have minded Krista at all for that, but I thought Simms did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 41509/20/2013

Judi also grew up in a circus family. Maybe Grant and Michael teased her a lot about that. And maybe also about her big juggs, which they often tried to hide underneath sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 41609/20/2013

Thanks so much for posting that video, R383. That was Grant Aleksander's last appearance before being replaced by John Bolger in scenes airing in January 1985. I remember taping this episode and watching those scenes several times over. They really represent how great soaps could have been. Adams was fabulous-sometimes she reminded me of a young Faye Dunaway. And Aleksander was perfect as the damaged golden boy. Great stuff. Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 41709/20/2013

Judi Evans started off with some incredibly powerful scenes at GL. And she clearly had on-screen chemistry with Grant initially. But I found her to be really annoying and green as an actress once her introductory story was played out. She had a really annoying habit of mumbling her lines and I remember thinking later on "Why would Phillip or Lujack go crazy over this girl?" She overplayed the vulnerability and essentially came off as a dork. By the time the horrendous Infinity storyline aired, I was over Beth/Judi.

by Anonymousreply 41809/20/2013

I thought the Four Musketeers SL on GL was one of the best teen SLs ever.

Beth,Phillip,Mindy,and Rick were like cat nip back then.

by Anonymousreply 41909/20/2013

Before it became the Reva Show, it was the Beth Show. A lot of that had to do with Whitesell. Beth had to be right about everything, Beth was loved by many -she even drove poor Floyd Parker to murder! Judi Evans wore out her welcome. Believe me, Kim Zimmer played no. 2 to Evans and did not like it one bit. KZ threw a lot of dirt about Evans to her cast mates and the mag scribes.

by Anonymousreply 42009/20/2013

[quote] it was the Beth Show. A lot of that had to do with Whitesell

As the director he doesn't write the show, or even produce the show.

by Anonymousreply 42109/20/2013

Which Whitesell, R420? (I think they're all related.) Also, did Judi Evans play Beth Raines?

by Anonymousreply 42209/20/2013

Yes, R422. She was the original and part of the "four musketeers."

by Anonymousreply 42309/20/2013

I like her so much, Judi Evans. She was such a better Paulina than the first actress, and I'm enjoying her now as Adrienne on DOOL. I wish I'd seen her on GL, but I literally had no idea soap operas were any good until 1988.

by Anonymousreply 42409/20/2013

[quote]I wish I'd seen her on GL,

Here you go. This is when Beth was blind. They were in the process of breaking up Beth & Phillip (because GA was leaving the show) and TPTB wanted to put Beth and Lujack together.

by Anonymousreply 42509/20/2013

Thanks, R425. I'll save that for my weekend viewing.

by Anonymousreply 42609/20/2013

R424 Judi is lucky that she has a home at Days.Of course she had played Adrienne long before in the 80s but she returned to Days to play another character as well. There was supposedly an edict from the head of Sony Daytime to have their two soaps(Days of Our Lives and Young and The Restless) hire actors from the two soon to be cancelled P & G soaps(ATWT and GL). How well did that work out? Maura West went to Young and had a blah experience there and is doing a great job on GH. One could say that she is the best thing on there.Judi Evans had a history with Days going back decades and was already on so she didn't really count.

Paolo Seganti ended up on the online version of OLTL. Martha Byrne will be on an actual NBC primetime show.Stephen Schnetzer is doing voiceovers for commercials.Jerry Van Dorn became Clint on OLTL and continued on the online version.Melina Kanaredes ended up having primetime success on Providence and CSI;NY.

by Anonymousreply 42709/20/2013

Thanks r425.

That episode also featured a hairy chested Michael Woods!

I was so in love with him. He played Mark Wheeler on Texas and then moved over to GL as Jim Reardon. Had so many JO fantasies about him.

Never understood why Michael Woods didn't have a better career. He seemed poised for stardom in the late 80s. He had the lead in the Private Eye series opposite a young Josh Brolin, played the lead in the series Capital News, had a starring role in the mini-series War and Remembrance. But then his career just started fizzling.

I always found it amusing that Michael Woods and Harley Kozak played brother and sister on Texas, then played almost lovers on GL.

by Anonymousreply 42809/20/2013

[quote]Before it became the Reva Show, it was the Beth Show.

Agreed. For the first year Judi was on, 1983-1984, so much of the show revolved around Beth. The Phillip-Beth pairing and the whole Four Musketeers thing was magical. So much of the show's success back then was due to that storyline.

While Kim Zimmer started as Reva in November 1983, she didn't really start to break out until they did the Slut of Springfield fountain scene in late July 1984. Soon after that, it started moving away from the Beth Show and becoming the Reva show.

Next thing you know, Reva's parachuting out of a plane with Kyle Sampson and landing in a Mennonite barn in a rip off of Witness.

by Anonymousreply 42909/20/2013

Didn't the same actor, James Rebhorn, play both Beth's sexually abusives father on GL and Angel's sexually abusive father on ATWT?

by Anonymousreply 43009/20/2013

Yes, r430.

Michael Woods was also on ATWT as a love interest for Margo...which to me was Jim Reardon trying to bed his sister Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 43109/20/2013

Yes, R430. And now he's relegated to police and FBI roles mostly.

by Anonymousreply 43209/20/2013

Loved the second Mindy during the whole Rog and Alex storyline. She was a slut with a heart and for some reason never came off as a floozy or stupid.

The first Mindy, Krista could never have worked in that storyline..Rog would have looked like a nasty perv and Alex, instead of being the wife who took no shit, would have looked like the nasty witch they turned Alex into with Marj. However, the second Mindy could never have worked in a Rick pairing besides being friends. Krista you could see being with Rick..of course, I used to think Rick was cuter then Phillip and I loved, fun and funny Rick and Mindy better then angsty Phillip and Beth. I hated it when they brought in Roxie to be Rick's LUURRVE. Nice that they put Rick and Mindy together at the end but that needed to have happened a long time before that..(and what happened to poor MOL at the end, he became a fat slot with GA looking the same.)

by Anonymousreply 43309/20/2013

An idea what Michael Woods is up to now ?

He used to work consistently.

Rebhorn may play cops alot but he has built a very strong career as a character actor.

by Anonymousreply 43409/20/2013

Yes, R434. My point is I'd like to see Jim Rebhorn more, in many different roles.

by Anonymousreply 43509/20/2013

I agree, R433, KT would have never been credible as Mindy during that Roger/Alex storyline. This is a prime example of a recast being a fundamental reason why a certain storyline worked.

by Anonymousreply 43609/20/2013

Jim Rebhorn came back to ATWT to play Reid Oliver's father.

Couldn't understand why he would come back, for just a day to play such meaningless role.

by Anonymousreply 43709/20/2013

I didn't remember that, R437. Maybe Reid was a son of another mother, whose last name he chose over "Lange"?

by Anonymousreply 43809/20/2013

Maybe he needed to make his AFTRA pension or medical insurance, R437. That's the most likely reason.

by Anonymousreply 43909/20/2013

R421, I heard Whitesell had some balls.

He was a p.a. or assistant something and one day they gave him a shot at directing.

The next day he doesn't show up for the p.a. gig and they call him, 'are you sick?' 'where are you?'

He said, 'Oh, I'm a director now. Call me when you need me to fill in for directing again.'

Sure, enough he started working more as a director and eventually became e.p. of SEARCH and AW.

People have to make those moves or else they'll never move up.

by Anonymousreply 44009/20/2013

Whitesell is now directing TV movies, episodic and features.

by Anonymousreply 44109/20/2013

I think there were three Whitesell brothers working then. Christopher was a producer, he'd worked on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 44209/20/2013

I remember John Whitesell was a fatty. Not sure how he landed Judi.

by Anonymousreply 44309/20/2013

Can we talk about Michelle Forbes some more. I loved the Sonni/Solita storyline.

by Anonymousreply 44409/20/2013

And now we have a Sean and Emily Whitesell, who work in nighttime TV, on American Dreams and Cold Case, House, Dirty Sexy Money and others.

by Anonymousreply 44509/20/2013

R444 You have got to see THE KILLING if you like Michelle Forbes. Season 1 is on DVD and Netflix, season 2 on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 44609/20/2013

Thanks for the tip, R446. As a gay guy, I had my odd boy crush on her. I think I saw a little of both Sonni and Solita in me. I have Netflix and will check it out.

by Anonymousreply 44709/20/2013

I started watching too late to see her on GL, R447. I'll bet I'd've liked her.

by Anonymousreply 44809/20/2013

There are four Whitesell brothers in the business:

Chris -- gay; currently headwriting on Days with Gary Tomlin. Got his start on ATWT as a breakdown writer for Doug Marland in 1987. Also worked with Tomlin on Sunset Beach and One Life to Live in 2001-2003.

John -- straight, overweight (as someone said upthread). Got his start as a PA at P&G soaps, then moved up to directing. Guiding Light was his first show. Directed numerous TV shows; also feature film Calendar Girl starring Jason Priestley.

Patrick -- straight; works as a talent agent, played a large part orchestrating the merger between William Morris agency and Endeavor. Now serves a co-CEO of William Morris Endeavor.

Sean -- actor; appeared on first season of Oz, in movie Calendar Girl (directed by his brother John) and in Homicide Life on the Street series.

by Anonymousreply 44909/20/2013

I loved the whole Sonni/Solita story. I wished Solita would have stayed on - the Sonni/Roger story had promise but then Michelle Forbes left.

I also loved Forbes because she made Zimmer batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 45009/20/2013

"I think I saw a little of both Sonni and Solita in me."

Sorry, r447, but I have to give you an enormous MARY! for that.

by Anonymousreply 45109/20/2013

Actually R451 he gets an enormous SONNI! for that!

by Anonymousreply 45209/20/2013

Forbes and Zimmer didn't get along?

by Anonymousreply 45309/20/2013

Kim Zimmer never gets on with the romantic rivals they put in her storylines. Especially if they are exceptionally good actresses such as Michelle Forbes or Cynthia Watros.

I think the bigger question is who did Kimmer hate worse, Michelle Forbes or Cynthia Watros?

by Anonymousreply 45409/20/2013

I loved Cynthia Watros as Annie too! But I didn't have the crush on her.

I'm sure Zimmer's issues with Forbes and Watros had a great deal to do with their abilities to act circles around her.

by Anonymousreply 45509/20/2013

A friend of mine played Solita's agent who was British for some reason. I swear on my mother's grave he got to say this priceless gem:

"You were the finest English-speaking actress in Venezuela. Before all the men and the cigarettes, that is."

by Anonymousreply 45609/20/2013

Is there any woman that Zimmer DID get along with at GL, well, besides her bff Pam Long, who kissed her ass?

by Anonymousreply 45709/20/2013

R457 Long wasn't her BFF.

Kim did to her what she did to every writer - complained. Zimmer complained if she didn't have a story, if she had a story, if the story had people in it, if the sky was blue, etc. She would toe the company line at the beginning and be excited about stories, but she'd bitch about them a few months later, only to use it as an example of a good story down the line when she bitched about whatever present story she had.

She and Watros were friends and are friends now but had a falling out during GL's run - mostly burnout on both their parts, plus Zim's usual jealousy of anyone else getting any attention. (Of course they're friends now, Cynthia can't take her spotlight.)

But she NEVER got along with Forbes, and did an interview about how her portrayal of Solita scared the fuck out of her. Forbes, from what I've heard, was also a bit of a Method actress and wasn't particularly friendly to Zimmer backstage.

It's a shame Zimmer wasn't more grateful to Long for creating Reva and giving that character her best years, but she's generally ungrateful to writers.

by Anonymousreply 45809/20/2013

Did Kim and Crystal Chappell get along? They seem like two crazy, ego-driven broads.

by Anonymousreply 45909/20/2013

I loved the Sonni/Solita storyline. They had this wonderful actress playing Mrs. Ibarra. The whole story was quite convoluted and crazy, but Michelle Forbes made it work. Kim Zimmer hated when anyone pulled the spotlight from her, even when (as in this case), they made her work better.

by Anonymousreply 46009/21/2013

The best scene from Sonni/Solita with Reva dangling from a bridge in the jungle.

Both of them were great!

by Anonymousreply 46109/21/2013

James Rebhorn plays Claire Danes father on Homeland. Given his past roles, makes me wonder if he did something to her character to make her so nuts!

by Anonymousreply 46209/21/2013

Michelle Forbes also played the "big bad" on one of the early seasons of True Blood and was great. She was heartbreaking on The Killing.

by Anonymousreply 46309/21/2013

Which divas owned their PGs shows per decade:

60s - Eileen Fulton

70s - Eileen Fulton

80s - Meg Ryan

90s - Martha Byrne

2000s - Maura West

60s - Lynne Adams

70s - Lynne Adams / Maureen Garrett

80s - Lisa Brown / Kim Zimmer

90s - Kim Zimmer

2000s - Kim Zimmer

60s - Jacquie Courtney

70s - Jacquie Courtney/Vicky Wyndham

80s - Vicky Wyndham / Mary Page Keller / Anne Heche

90s - Jensen Buchanan

by Anonymousreply 46409/21/2013

I loved the Sonni/Solita story which was endless, complicated by a writer's strike and had more twists than anything. It was the first time I'd ever seen Michelle Forbes in anything and she was excellent.

Right around this time was when Fletcher and Alexandra crashed on the island where Roger Thorpe was hiding out. Did anybody expect to see Roger again after him being gone nearly a decade? The funny thing about that story is that they had Roger wearing a mask and then in one episode, suddenly it begins with Roger fishing and it was the first time we saw that it was truly Roger. It was a "day in the life" kind of episode and after that, Roger went back to the mask. Wonder why the writers gave it away so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 46509/21/2013

r464's list is inaccurate. That's all I'll say.

by Anonymousreply 46609/21/2013

R464 Check out Anne Heche's first scene on AW.

by Anonymousreply 46709/21/2013

R464 A-fucking-hem.

by Anonymousreply 46809/21/2013

When you look in the dictionary for the word "flawless" these scenes appear. (Link is part 1 - there are 4 overall)

THE most FABULOUS performance by McKinsey and a high point for GL. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 46909/21/2013

Alex reads Roger for filth, part 2:

by Anonymousreply 47009/21/2013

Alex still has her reading glasses on. Part 3

by Anonymousreply 47109/21/2013

And lastly, part 4.

So great how she goes from rage to anger to sadness to vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 47209/21/2013

Two full threads and I haven't seen this posted yet:

by Anonymousreply 47309/21/2013

Thanks, R469 through R472.

This was one of the only times I enjoyed a "Spaulding, Spaulding, Who's Got the Spaulding?" storyline. It takes a lot of talent to make those corporation stories emotionally resonant, and this was one of the best. I couldn't wait to get home and watch GL those years. (Later on, the machinations would become oh, so boring. Thank you and fuck you, P&G.)

BTW, did you all know GL soap fans started the portmanteau craze on the internet? Without Bloss and Jeva, there would never have been Brangelina.

by Anonymousreply 47409/21/2013

You forgot the greatest actress of all...

Beverlee McKinsey (GL and AW)

Turn in your gay card and fan card immediately

by Anonymousreply 47509/21/2013

Can someone give a Cliff Notes version of the Sonni/Solita storyline ?

What HW wrote it ?

by Anonymousreply 47609/21/2013

R464 Remember that La Bev got star billing on Texas BEFORE the show started. That was long before soap star were getting credit before the show.

by Anonymousreply 47709/21/2013

[quote]Remember that La Bev got star billing on Texas BEFORE the show started. That was long before soap star were getting credit before the show.

Bitch, please. I will cut yo trick ass.

by Anonymousreply 47809/21/2013

Why did Bev take the GL job instead of jumping at the many offers to return to AW, which really could've used her in 83/84? The EP/HW team that introduced Alex was the same one that chased Bev off Texas.

by Anonymousreply 47909/21/2013

Don't forget about us... We got star billing and we both had massive cocks.

by Anonymousreply 48009/21/2013

[quote] The EP/HW team that introduced Alex was the same one that chased Bev off Texas.

Nope The EP/HW team that revitalized Texas came AFTER Bev left Texas.

Bev was basically tired of the character and want to do something new.

by Anonymousreply 48109/21/2013

Does my "and..." tag count as star billing?

by Anonymousreply 48209/21/2013

Of course it does Eileen you crazy old coot.

by Anonymousreply 48309/21/2013

R479, The producers of AW approached McKinsey to return to AW for the show's 20th Anniversary. She lived in Manhattan & didn't want to commute to Brooklyn (in addition to not wanting to reprise the same character/wanting change).

by Anonymousreply 48409/21/2013

What did people like Beverlee McKinsey make (in terms of salary) back in the '70's? What was Kim Zimmer paid while on GL?

by Anonymousreply 48509/21/2013

[quote] Can someone give a Cliff Notes version of the Sonni/Solita storyline ? What HW wrote it ?

It was Pam Long.

The original story was that when Josh was out of Springfield, between 1984 and 1986, he met and married Sonni, and had assumed she'd died in an accident.

But Sonni turned up in Springfield very much alive, and when Josh believed that Marah was Kyle's daughter, he and Sonni made a go of their marriage.

It turned out Sonni had a connection to Will Jeffries, who had already been in Springfield for a while at that time.

And here's where the plot gets murky, thanks to the writer's strike. They were scheming together to kill or ruin Josh. Then it was revealed that Sonni wasn't Sonni but her sister Solita. Sonni had died after all.

She and Will schemed - he was involved with Mindy Lewis and had married Mindy - and at some point, in the back and forth, it was revealed that Sonni was, indeed, Sonni. Sonni did have a twin named Solita who had died in their younger years, and was experiencing a multiple personality.

At some point, after nearly making the world happy by almost pushing Reva Shayne off of a jangling rope bridge, this all came to light. Sonni and Josh divorced, Will was killed somehow (I am forgetting when and how). Jarsh and Reva got back together (only to face Reva's own secret: that she'd been knocked up by Billy as a teen and gave that baby up for adoption). Sonni had a tentative connection to the newly returned Roger Thorpe but left town soon after.

by Anonymousreply 48609/21/2013

Calista Flockhart played the babysitter who kidnaps Marah and then tries to pin the blame on Sonni

by Anonymousreply 48709/21/2013

[quote] What did people like Beverlee McKinsey make (in terms of salary) back in the '70's? What was Kim Zimmer paid while on GL?

Actual numbers are hard to come by - there have been vociferous fights even recently on DL about salaries. Some think stars like DAYS' Alison Sweeney are making a million (which just isn't happening, sorry).

Zimmer might have been in the million dollar club, or close to it. She was the only P&G star that could have asked for that in the last 25 years of their shows.

More than likely, she was probably making between 500-750K a year, and then that was cut a significant amount after 2004. She probably took a 20-30% pay cut before GL was cancelled.

Beverlee was, I would say with a fair amount of certainty, making a mil at the end of AW and during her year on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 48809/21/2013

Michelle Forbes was only 22-24 when she played Sonni/Solita.

by Anonymousreply 48909/21/2013

Forbes deserved an Emmy.

McKinsey and Forbes could have been an interesting show all on their own. Alan and Sonni had some fierce chemistry as well.

by Anonymousreply 49009/21/2013

The potential Roger-Sonni pairing had so much potential. Those two could have been explosive together.

As I recall, they had a handful of scenes of the two together, one even of Roger bedding Sonni. And then we never saw Sonni again. No good bye scenes or anything. Don't think there was even an on-screen explanation for her absence.

Obviously, Michelle Forbes didn't renew her contract, but I still wonder what might have been.

Of course, we wouldn't have gotten the Mindy-Roger pairing if Sonni had still been around.

by Anonymousreply 49109/21/2013

Did anyone ever remove the million dollars from the safe in the green apartment Roger lived in?

by Anonymousreply 49209/21/2013

well, r492, Mindy moved in after Roger . . .

Maybe she needed capital to start her fashion line.

by Anonymousreply 49309/21/2013

R491, you obviously missed her airport goodbye scene which ended with her taking a cigarette and putting it in her mouth, a sign that she may not have totally rid herself of Solita.

by Anonymousreply 49409/21/2013

r494 Thanks. Didn't see that episode.

Glad to know she had a goodbye scene. All I remember is how abruptly the Roger-Sonni pairing was aborted and Sonni disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 49509/21/2013

R491/R495, I forget who the scene was actually with. Josh? Roger? But I remember the cigarette and wondered if it was in the script or if it was suddenly added at the last minute. I have a feeling in Forbes' mind she was never coming back to the show.

by Anonymousreply 49609/21/2013

Were any of the dramas' gay actors involved [italic]with[/italic] each other?

by Anonymousreply 49709/21/2013

[quote] Glad to know she had a goodbye scene. All I remember is how abruptly the Roger-Sonni pairing was aborted and Sonni disappeare

I think Michelle Forbes gave them really short notice that she was leaving. I seem to remember they assumed she was renewing and then she gave them three weeks' notice. So they had to quickly write Sonni out.

It's a shame. Forbes is a fantastic actress. She reminds me a bit of Victoria Wyndham - beautiful but in a very unconventional way, and can be very much the heroine but also play very dark emotions.

by Anonymousreply 49809/21/2013

R497 I can't say I ever knew who the gay ones were. When I first got on AOL, I was IMing with a DC bartender who told me Matt Crane used to come into his bar (down by the Navy Yard) from time to time.

I guess Ben Hendrickson may have been gay, but I'm basing that more on his being single and suicidal than anything else. I have no knowledge.

My impressions were more wishful thinking than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 49909/21/2013

I wondered about Benjamin Hendricks myself, he played a gay character in a movie that he made during the year he took off ATWT. I was really sad when he died, he was a great actor, it was an awful loss. Poor man.

by Anonymousreply 50009/21/2013

I used to wish Grayson McCouch and Danny Markel were gay.

by Anonymousreply 50109/21/2013

And of course, for years I thought Scott DeFreitas was gay. Hard to be wronger (sic) than that.

by Anonymousreply 50209/21/2013

I'd been hearing rumors of Ben Hendrickson being gay since before the Internet.

I also thought the actor who played Hank Eliot may have been gay in real as well though the actor denied it. He never did anything else but play "Other pilot" in an episode of "Babylon 5."

by Anonymousreply 50309/21/2013

David Oliver, who played Perry Hutchins on AW, died of AIDS early on.

by Anonymousreply 50409/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 50509/21/2013

So did the handsome silver-haired Paul Stevens who played Iris' husband Brian Bancroft.

by Anonymousreply 50609/21/2013

[quote] I guess Ben Hendrickson may have been gay, but I'm basing that more on his being single and suicidal than anything else. I have no knowledge.

Same here. I think he may have been, but he was very private. It's so sad that he killed himself. He was, by all accounts, a well liked man.

by Anonymousreply 50709/21/2013

Reva and Billy had a kid ?

What was the name?

I can't believe I forgot that.

by Anonymousreply 50809/22/2013

Dylan Lewis

by Anonymousreply 50909/22/2013

Daniel Markel was hot. But he's a big ole fundie if I remember right.

by Anonymousreply 51009/22/2013

Why the fuck did they kill off Hilary Bauer?

And no, I'm not a lawyer!

by Anonymousreply 51109/22/2013

Hlllary gave off a lesbian vibe.

by Anonymousreply 51209/22/2013

Hillary was probably considered a 'Doug Marland' character and the show was getting rid of his.

R509, great author joke.

by Anonymousreply 51309/22/2013

[quote]Hlllary gave off a lesbian vibe.

I'm thinking it was my hair-do.

by Anonymousreply 51409/22/2013

Hillary was a Bauer, and when Pam Long came on board CBS wanted all the Bauers gone.

P&G fought back, as did Long, but they struck a compromise and scaled the family back. They killed off Hillary, sent Mike out of town, and after Bert died, Ed and Rick were the only Bauers in town for years.

by Anonymousreply 51509/22/2013

Where did you hear that, R510?

by Anonymousreply 51609/22/2013

Danny Markel, who went to Julliard and wanted to be the next Kevin Kline (his words)

Could only find work on soaps as an actor, even after all that $$ training in school.

Now he is a financial planner in LA.

But then again everyone winds up having four or five different careers in their lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 51709/22/2013

I thought he got his acting degree at NYU, R517.

by Anonymousreply 51809/22/2013

Yeah it is probably NYU

Here is his linkedin page

by Anonymousreply 51909/22/2013

Thanks, R519. He's done very well for himself, hasn't he?

I wonder if he ever regrets giving up acting. When I saw him on AW, I was so sure he'd have a big career. He was so much better looking than most other actors, and he was rather compelling otherwise. I even liked his voice.

Naturally, I wishfully thought he HAD to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 52009/22/2013

Re: Danny Markel

After he got fired from WT he decided he needed a more stable career to support his family. I can respect that even though I missing seeing his beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 52109/22/2013

Danny was on WT at the worst possible time. He was an improvement over the original David Allen Stenbeck, but ugh, no one besides Marland could write the Stenbeck stories. The lesser hacks turned James into Stefano, but that's a matter for a post of its own.

Eventually, I gave up on WT until Nuke.

And yes, those eyes.

by Anonymousreply 52209/22/2013

For those wondering if Benjamin Hendrickson was gay, judge for yourself from 2:30 on:

by Anonymousreply 52309/22/2013

Love seeing how happy Hendrickson's cast mates are, especially Martha Byrne and Tamara Tunie.

by Anonymousreply 52409/22/2013

Benjamin Hendrickson was classmates with Patti LuPone and Kevin Kline at Julliard

by Anonymousreply 52509/22/2013

Ben H. was gay. It wasn't a secret.

by Anonymousreply 52609/22/2013

Sonni's last scene, saying goodbye to Josh and Marah. This is a classic Pam Long Kodak moment with the flashbacks.

No cigarette here - maybe there's a last scene with just Sonni after Josh and Marah are gone?

by Anonymousreply 52709/22/2013

R527, there definitely was. It's a private moment just before she boards the plane. I'll never forget that moment with the cigarette! It was a brilliant idea.

by Anonymousreply 52809/22/2013

Back in the 1990s, Daniel Markel stated in one of the publications that he may be on his way out of the acting profession. He said that he didn't want to reach milestones (in age) and be on the market looking for guest gigs on silly prime-time series like [then-on-CBS] [italic]Diagnosis Murder[/italic]. His departure from acting was expected. By him.

by Anonymousreply 52909/22/2013

I don't know about Benjamin Hendrickson, but Silas Crocker was pretty femme.

by Anonymousreply 53009/22/2013

Silas Crocker and Quinton McCord definitely did some man-slamming out there in Tanqueer on their archeological digs.

by Anonymousreply 53109/22/2013

What does the DL know about the guy who played Reva's brother, Rusty? He was gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 53209/22/2013

Terrell Anthony, who played Rusty, is apparently straight. He was fucking Cady McClain for a while. He replaced Michael E. Knight as Tad for a bit back in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 53309/22/2013

How about Ricky Paull Goldin? He has been a topic of conversation down through the years?

by Anonymousreply 53409/22/2013

R528, R527 here. I do not remember that final scene with the cigarette. I distinctly remember watching the scene I posted in the airport with Josh and Marah saying goodbye to Sonni. I even remember the rather brilliant directing of showing Marah looking at Josh and Sonni holding hands for a second. The cigarette is a great twist though - I have to try to find it online somewhere. Michelle Forbes was fucking fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 53509/22/2013

Ricky Paul was fucking Yasmeen Bleeth for years. Definitely straight. No man is going to stand my that coked up tranny mess unless he truly craves her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 53609/22/2013

Do you think Mac and Iris ever did it?

by Anonymousreply 53709/22/2013

Oh nonsense, Rebecca at R531. Quint was as straight as an arrow. Why, many a night when Henry wasn't able to "perform", I would visit Quinton's room for some late night... satisfaction.

by Anonymousreply 53809/22/2013

Ricky Paul isn't just straight he's disgustingly straight.

He and Paul Rauch used to go to Scores back in the day, get drunk and slobber all over the strippers.

He's calmed down now with age, marriage and kids.

by Anonymousreply 53909/22/2013

Hope you find it, R535. I definitely didn't imagine it!

by Anonymousreply 54009/22/2013

Just did a Google search using Solita cigarette GL final scene and up popped a 5 Holy S#%* Moments which begins with Sonni sittting on the plane, taking out a cigarette and...then the entry stops. I clicked on it several times but it kept sending me to some other website, I think something to do with nicotine!

by Anonymousreply 54109/22/2013

Ricky Paull comes across as anything but straight. Pings off the charts. As I read somewhere once, "his performance of heterosexuality is unconvincing."

by Anonymousreply 54209/22/2013

Terrell Anthony is a right-wing fundie who is also a priest!

He started his career being a model!

by Anonymousreply 54309/22/2013

Can someone explain the whole Carrie Piper/Tony & Annabelle story? Something about a haunted house that was ultimately connected to the Spauldings, I think. I remember being riveted by the characters and the individual scenes, but I had no idea what the hell that story was all about. Pam Long's plots almost always became too convoluted after a while.

by Anonymousreply 54409/22/2013

Quint and Mrs. Renfield did seem to have an odd relationship, R538. It was creepy - I thought the same thing at the time!

by Anonymousreply 54509/22/2013

R544, it led to Brandon Spaulding actually alive on a Caribbean island somewhere with his black wife and biracial daughter. Sorry, that's all I remember.

by Anonymousreply 54609/22/2013

Donna Hudson was on the Emmys. Apparently she and James Cromwell are together.

by Anonymousreply 54709/22/2013

Michael Hudson's was the best soap funeral ever. All that snow, and the NYC Gay Men's Chorus singing "No One Is Alone."

by Anonymousreply 54809/22/2013

The Sonni reveal is mentioned in the comments of this Marlena Delacroix post, written by a guest blogger.

by Anonymousreply 54909/22/2013

R547, her actual name is Anna Stuart and her backstage nickname was Anna Banana.

by Anonymousreply 55009/22/2013

Did you work backstage in Brooklyn, R550?

by Anonymousreply 55109/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 55209/22/2013

No, R551, but I know a few actors who worked the show.

by Anonymousreply 55309/22/2013

Thanks for posting the link, R549. Yes, if you scroll down quite a bit down the link to bob says' comment he describes Sonni sitting in a plane waiting to take off for SF, she puts a cigarette in her mouth, a stewardess admonishes her, she takes it out and smirks. That was really a great moment.

by Anonymousreply 55409/22/2013

Anna Stuart and James Cromwell have been together for some time. He took her to last year's Oscar's and the SAGs.

I always thought she was so beautiful.She still looks amazing as if time has stood still.

by Anonymousreply 55509/23/2013

I remember Anna as Gina Dante on GH in the late 70s. She looks the same, though she's always looked old.

by Anonymousreply 55609/23/2013

Anna Stuart is still close to Anne Heche

by Anonymousreply 55709/23/2013

Anna Banana was a guest at a party that a friend of mine threw back in the early 90s. She was quite uppity and snobby, wouldn't mingle. My friend got drunk and threw her out, yelling out the door "I don't need any Poor Man's Susan Lucci to stink up MY party!"

She does still look amazing. Gorgeous skin and teeth. She was in a very bad, abusive relationship for many years with a failed actor named Jesse. I'm glad to see she seems very happy with Cromwell. I wonder if they'll ever marry.

by Anonymousreply 55809/23/2013

Poor man's Susan Lucci? LMAO! Bitch please, she's not that high on the totem pole. She's the poor man's Toni Salem.

by Anonymousreply 55909/23/2013

Ann Flood and Maeve McGuire supposedly loathed one another. Anyone know why?

by Anonymousreply 56009/23/2013

R558 It sounds as if Donna Love Hudson came to your friend's party instead of Anna S.

I recall an episode in which Courtney the Cop came to the Hudsons' apartment (at the Love Tower?) to search for something crime-related and Courtney picked up a Ming vase, and Donna shrieks at her, "That's a Ming vahse, Courtney, M-I-N-G, Ming."

And I'll never forget her eating (her first?) pizza -- her "ewww face" was priceless -- with Jake when they were sleeping together.

by Anonymousreply 56109/23/2013

Why are you knocking Anna Stuart.

She's still gorgeous and she was excellent as Donna Love. I'd love to see her in more things.

by Anonymousreply 56209/23/2013

Was just kidding actually. I think she's terrific. There was SUCH wasted potential for her on AMC as Greenlee's mother Mary Smythe. She was so good, and had wonderful chemistry with Canary and Willey and was a great sparring partner for Lucci. They were hinting at an Adam/Brooke/Mary triangle, which would've been delicious, but Frons vetoed all of that and totally minimized the role til she just disappeared with no explanation.

by Anonymousreply 56309/23/2013

^^Yet another reason Frons sucks. Anna Stuart was great as Mary Smythe, and I loved seeing her and Lucci spar--but an Adam/Brooke/Mary triangle would have been great, but stupid Frons made it his mission to destroy AMC.

by Anonymousreply 56409/23/2013

During the baby switch thing, Adam and Mary shared a bunch of scenes, and McTavish was slowly maneuvering Brooke back into Adam's orbit. McTavish was definitely setting up a triangle there, but it was suddenly dropped. I'm not a huge McT fan, but she "got" AMC, but Frons had a different vision for the show. He helped kill that show.

by Anonymousreply 56509/23/2013

Please take ABC soap discussion to the Josh (Cutter Wentworth) Kelly thread linked to below. It is there for your daytime reading pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 56609/23/2013

Oh calm down, r566. It was just an extension of the Anna Stuart discussion.

by Anonymousreply 56709/23/2013

R567 I was just being nice, Bess.

by Anonymousreply 56809/23/2013

BTW, Bess, I loved your brother when he was on GL. I was new to soap opera, and he was my first "Hot guy moves to town and is revealed to be ____________'s secret son three sweeps from now." character.

by Anonymousreply 56909/23/2013

Was Phillip really a tennis pro? I don't remember that, and I even remember when Phillip was a little boy!

by Anonymousreply 57009/23/2013

Who was the definitive Ed Bauer?

Low-key, average looking Peter Simon?

Handsome, fit-fat Mart Hulswit?

Dreamy looking, gay Robert Gentry?

Stiff but manly looking Richard Van Vleet?

by Anonymousreply 57109/23/2013

Had no idea Robert Gentry was gay! Before my time though. Always had nice things to say about James Earl Jones, Cicely Tyson (I think). Said sadly the soap gave them nothing to do. Just remember Peter Simon.

by Anonymousreply 57209/23/2013

Robert Gentry was my favorite Ed, followed by Peter Simon (since I had to forget him as Ian on WT). I have always wondered why Gentry didn't work out the second time. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 57309/23/2013

Anna Stuart is infinitely more fabulous and talented than that cheap tart Sue Lucci.

by Anonymousreply 57409/23/2013

You tell 'em, r574. Preach it bitch!

by Anonymousreply 57509/23/2013

Sue Lucci is just a low born gutter tramp!

by Anonymousreply 57609/23/2013

India, your taste has always been exquisite...and cinnamony.

by Anonymousreply 57709/23/2013

I'm having some plum brandy and a Gauloise in your honor, Miss Halls.

by Anonymousreply 57809/23/2013

Elizabeth Lawrence (ex-Myra AMC, ex-Virginia Dancy The Doctors) played Bess Lowell on GL. The long-time Spaulding secretary

Who just happened to be the sister of Ellen Lowell from ATWT.

But for some reason they never had Ellen cross over to GL, or vice-versa have Bess visit her sister Ellen on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 57909/23/2013

What is Anna Stuart's ethnicity? She has very exotic looks for a "white woman" from the South.

by Anonymousreply 58009/23/2013

More about how India tastes, please.

by Anonymousreply 58109/23/2013

Say hi to Dorie India!

by Anonymousreply 58209/23/2013

I did not know that about the Lowell sisters r579! interesting.

Speaking of Anna Stuart. I was watching the Emmys last night and could have sworn to saw her in the crowd sitting next to James Cromwell. Does anyone know if they have some connection?

by Anonymousreply 58309/23/2013

R581 A little like curry a lot like sea spray BUT always delicious! I don't see your other names like Thorpe etc so on? What gives?

by Anonymousreply 58409/23/2013

Crowmell and Stuart are lovers darling.Didn't know that? Well welcome to the party because it was being discussed very recently. Check out the last page....

by Anonymousreply 58509/23/2013

Good catch, r579. A lot of people forget that Bess appeared briefly on ATWT in the late-60s played by Bethel Leslie. She tried to steal David away from Ellen, and when that failed, she rebounded with Don Hughes. Irna hated the character, so she wrote her out by having her attempt suicide by jumping ONTO a building ledge. After the failed attempt, she left town. The only subsequent mention of Bess was the following Christmas when Ellen casually mentioned that Bess was now living in Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 58609/23/2013

Roger raped me, ya know, so I've omitted Thorpe. I was supposedly married to a Mr. Lindsay, but since I don't recall his first name, I feel no reason to include his surname. As for Fletcher, he gave me that "special" brat, and I'll never forgive him for that. So bye bye "Reade."

by Anonymousreply 58709/23/2013

Ms. Stuart claims to be a descendant of Sacagawea. Or Pochahontas. One of those.

by Anonymousreply 58809/23/2013

R580, I thought her real family name might be Stuarti. She does look Eyetalian.

by Anonymousreply 58909/23/2013

Time for a new thread.

What name should this one have?

Wired for Sound shenanigans?

Aunt Liz is a busybody?

Barbara Ryan Originals?

Did you ever stay at the Monticello Arms?

by Anonymousreply 59009/23/2013

Anna Stuart looks Italian but I've met people from the South that have Native American ancestry and have Anna's look.

Someone said Eyetalian? What is this Victorian era London?!Stuarti? I don't think so. Stuart is very English name wise, though if her family was Italian it might be some other name that is like Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 59109/23/2013

Isn't Stuart a Scottish name?

What, no mention of The Dreaming Death yet?

by Anonymousreply 59209/23/2013

I have to say, I am thrilled beyond compare that we have had TWO P&G threads make it to 600.

I'm so happy I could ALMOST be nice to Alexandra.

Perhaps I'll pick up the phone and call Phillip, and ask him what he's wearing. Unless that dreadful, precious Beth answers. Then I'll have to pretend it's the STD clinic calling with his results.

by Anonymousreply 59309/23/2013

[quote] What, no mention of The Dreaming Death yet?

A story best forgotten, in the ranks of horrid GL stories along with Infinity, the Sampson Girl pageant, Maryanne Carruthers who-gives-a-fuck, and Holly is stalking the children of Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 59409/23/2013

I think we should name the next thread "I'll cut any bitch who also goes to the masquerade ball as Scarlett O'Hara"

by Anonymousreply 59509/23/2013

Do you think it's safe to create a thread for the non-P&G/ABC/Sony shows that are long gone, like The Doctors and Love of Life and Love is a Many Splendored THing? They deserve our respect too.

by Anonymousreply 59609/23/2013

No R596. I think you should keep it all to one thread and people shouldn't complain if someone mentions The Doctors or LIAMST of LOL or WTH. Too many threads draws attention and creates problems.

That said, the new name should be

Has anyone tried the new menu at Tops?

by Anonymousreply 59709/23/2013

Fewer threads the better, R596. I don't think most readers would mind a few mentions of those ones in these threads, but the other recent shows all have a thread of their own.

by Anonymousreply 59809/23/2013

Let's call it "When did Brava Magazine stop being published?"

by Anonymousreply 59909/23/2013

It should be: Has anyone read the new books from Cory Publishing?

What's really happening at Quinton McCord's house

Do you own a Barbara Ryan Original? They're on sale at Fashions!

by Anonymousreply 60009/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!