Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Open Floor Plans

Does anyone else hate them? I prefer for my rooms to be separated, especially when entertaining, and I realize that hallways are a waste of square footage, but I don't care to have a bedroom or bathroom right off of the main living area.

Am I alone in this?

by Anonymousreply 10209/29/2013

You, yourself, are not.

by Anonymousreply 109/11/2013

Yeah, I don't like the look of the living room also being the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 309/11/2013

Why would a bedroom be on the same floor as entertaining rooms?

by Anonymousreply 409/11/2013

Hate them too. I have no desire to have the smell of garlic in every square inch of my house after I cook.

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2013

I also like separate rooms. I can understand the appeal of an open floor plan, but I'm surprised by how many people demand it as an essential feature in a home, right up there with running water.

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2013

We disagree vehemently!

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2013

Canadians on the home shows are OBSESSED with them. We must have an Open Concept!

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2013

I grew up in an old house in New England. I like multiple floors, front and back staircases, rooms with high ceilings, windows that open and doors that close.

I also have a fetish for early American antiques.

by Anonymousreply 1009/11/2013

I hate open floor plans, and wouldn't have them. I like a variety of rooms and spaces of different shape, size, proportion, architectural treatment, and aspect.

No matter how fucking much money you spend on a refrigerator (or in disguising a refrigerator should you go down that route), it's still a refrigerator, and not a fitting focus for any room but a kitchen.

[quote]I can't stand enclosed spaces it makes the rooms appear smaller and stuffy

Well designed, well proportioned, well fenestrated rooms do not appear small and stuffy. A 350 sq.ft. apartment, on the other hand, will look like a shitty little apartment no matter how open and spare and Zen the design -- no matter how high the ceilings, no matter how open the plan, it's never a good idea to look at your kitchen appliances while lying in your bed.

by Anonymousreply 1109/11/2013

R11 Old house in the South here. I Agree, I don't want to hear the dishwasher while sitting at the dining table or on the sofa. I don't want to hear the guest toliet flushing while I'm cooking.

and in respect to antiques, of which I am also quite fond, They are impossible to place in an open floor plan without looking desperate and forced.

by Anonymousreply 1209/11/2013

I detest open floorplans. I wouldn't even look at a home that had one.

by Anonymousreply 1409/11/2013

R4 Downstairs Master Suites are all the rage these days.

by Anonymousreply 1509/11/2013

R13 I'm 32.

by Anonymousreply 1609/11/2013

Don't really understand that whole "vaulted ceiling" feature, either. It makes you feel like your living in warehouse space.

WTF are you supposed to do with that extra height? It would be more money to keep that room heated or cooled. Waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 1809/11/2013

Open floor plans are great for small homes. If you're dealing with hundreds of square feet rather than thousands, it makes at least one room spacious and makes entertaining possible.

In a home that's large enough for a spacious separate kitchen, it seems like a false economy of space. Like a billionaire who pinches pennies.

by Anonymousreply 2009/11/2013

I hate open floor plans. There is something grotesque and let-it-all-hang-out-lazy-slob-super-size-flip-flop-burp about them. They are unsophisticated and destroy the ability to created different moods in different rooms. It's just all there, gross, and there is no escape from it.

I lived in a loft and longed to have other rooms, with other vibes where I could go and close the door.

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2013

In France a "cuisine americaine" is a kitchen that's part of an open floor plan. This what we're known for in France! Mortifying.

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2013

I agree with OP, R24 and the rest of you who dislike the open concept. It's far too casual for the way that I like to live and entertain. Can you imagine yelling a conversation into the family room while preparing your baked potato bar at the kitchen island?

by Anonymousreply 2609/11/2013

I WANT PEACE AND Q-U-I-E-T!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2709/11/2013

R28 I guess that means you spend all day sitting on your couch in the enclosed living room while consuela cooks and cleans, or perhaps you don't entertain.

by Anonymousreply 3009/11/2013

My house has an open living room, dining area, and kitchen, but the bedrooms & bathrooms are secluded down a short hallway, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 3109/11/2013

You not only missed the target, R30, you're aiming in the opposite direction.

by Anonymousreply 3309/11/2013

I prefer open floor plans but now that I have a bunch of tiny little rooms I find my "stuff" seems less oppressively cluttered with all these corners and walls to put things against.

by Anonymousreply 3509/11/2013

I happen to get the floor plans for some pre-war apartments while looking for a co-op. They all had enclosed separate eat in kitchens. When I went to check them out some of them had the walls knocked out so it became an open consept kitchen. It was horrible. These cute galley kitchens with a dinnin area were now just a wall of appliances.

by Anonymousreply 3609/11/2013

I think there's a difference between an "open floor plan" in a larger home (where it's usually just a kitchen adjoining a living room / great room, but bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. are in separate parts of the house) vs. in an apartment or loft (where the entire space may be one huge rectangle, no structural walls at all, except for a bath in the corner).

I'm okay with the former, not really a huge fan of the latter. I do want some separation for sleeping and bathroom areas from the main living areas, and don't want to hear (and smell) everything from one part of the house to the next. And structural walls are useful for design, placing furniture and hanging artwork, and just basic necessities like electrical wiring.

Though really in this thread I think most people are referring to the "great room" concept (cooking and dining adjoining living areas) rather than a complete open box where even the bed and bath are in full view of the kitchen. The big box only works if you're single or a couple; I can't imagine trying to live in an open loft with kids.

by Anonymousreply 3809/12/2013

pictures?

I don't get what open floor plans look like,.

by Anonymousreply 3909/12/2013

No, I want a house to have places to hide.

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2013

ah thanks r40/r41---- that seems ok if you live alone but even if it is just you and a partner it seems too open.

What if one person wants to sleep late?

(even MTM had that little kitchen partition she could pull down to do dishes while Rhoda was sleeping)

by Anonymousreply 4309/12/2013

I have stuff!

I need wall space for art and furniture.

Plus, I don't want to match everything to everything else as if I'm living in a W hotel or a brokerage office.

Also, I want to control the lighting for different areas. My kitchen lighting has to be so bright it slaps your ass and calls you Suzy. My dining light is warmer. My living room light should be dimmer - rosy fingertips of dawn dim. My bedroom needs to blackout, but have enough lights at the ready.

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2013

'Open concept' is a marketing term, invented by builders, to avoid the expense of walls.

Don't buy it. Rooms are good.

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2013

My ideal house would have a rustic kitchen and beamed, heavily windowed "great room" for guests and hanging out, plus a formal living and dining room.

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2013

I like separated, distintive, rooms, and I absolutely do NOT want anyone but me in my kitchen when I am hosting a food-related event, so although it is not part of the living room or dining room, my kitchen still has an open doorway and I wish it had its own door.

I love old houses with lots of rooms. Pocket doors between the rooms is my idea of heaven.

Bedrooms belong upstairs, if there is an upstairs, and I don't understand the purpose of a master suite. Why do you need a separate sitting area in your bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2013

The kitchen island in R41 would be perfect for setting up that baked potato bar while guests drink white Zinfandel in the TV area.

by Anonymousreply 4809/12/2013

I'd use the breakfast nook of my kitchen a lot more if it was open to the living/dining room or at least next to a window.

by Anonymousreply 4909/12/2013

An open floor plan enables proper twirling, swishing, swooshing, and most importantly, FLOUNCING of a caftan.

by Anonymousreply 5009/12/2013

I can't stand open floor plans, either, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5109/12/2013

"Why do you need a separate sitting area in your bedroom?"

Because you hate your family, r47. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 5209/12/2013

Where I live there is the newer part of the city and and then there is the older part of the city. The homes in the older part are individual and no two homes are alike. However, the newer part is so predictable, cookie cutter, and individualism is very rare. I love old homes tremendously because the architecture, character and charm expresses uniqueness. I have always wanted a formal dinning room with a beautiful chandelier. I think it's great to have formal dinning room because it is an experience. It is a place to have special events that people look forward to from the everyday routine in modern life.

What is so annoying is that most people today go with whatever the masses dictate, and people have become so narrow minded and one dimensional. There is this Maoist 1984 mindset in design and living as a whole. When I watch old movies on TV, when I look at old pictures of decor from the past, and shop at antique stores, there was much more individualism. Some people had Asian decor, some people had traditional decor, some had European style decor, etc. Today, If you say you don't like an open concept, you are considered a senior citizen, not by the posters on this thread who are really nice. I'm talking about people outside of this little forum. If you are not into mid-century modern, contemporary, or minimalism, you are ostracized and it's ridiculous. If you are into those types of designs and architecture, then hey, that is what you want and that is what should matter the most. I'm not going to tare you to shreds if you have different tastes than me because that is insane. I may not like what you like ,but that is fine.

I live the way I want to live and you should too. If other people don't like it then screw them. R10, I'm with you. I adore antiques immensely and I love history, and I love things that have a history and a story to them. Also, I love antiques because they are not only beautiful, but they were made to last from eras that were not throw away dump eras. One of the most important factors decorating with antiques is that it is a form of recycling, and it is good for the planet.

The poster who said everyone on this thread is over 60, I'm 43 and I love to live life ,and I'm having a blast! which everyone should feel no matter what age you are!

by Anonymousreply 5309/12/2013

I like R10's front and back staircases, too. They are the best!

by Anonymousreply 5409/12/2013

It's true that most new homes incorporate the open floor plan design to some degree. Almost always the kitchen and the family room are connected and open to each other. In the typical two story new home, the other rooms (living room and dining room) on the first floor generally have their own defined space (walls) with doorways, but not doors. The exception would be a the first floor office that usually has pocket or french doors. None of the bedrooms/baths on the second floor are open to each other.

I've lived in both older homes with separate rooms and now in an open floorplan (as described). For entertaining I much prefer the open kitchen/family room because it's true that everyone wants to crowd into the kitchen with you and it's nice to spread out in two large rooms.

Things I don't like about it:

1. I hate the cathedral entrance--wish I had that space upstairs as an extra room or loft.

2. I don't like that you have to coordinate all your decor from one room to the next.

3. Lack of privacy

4. Noise

5. I have too much art and not enough wall space to display it.

6. You have to keep the whole first floor, including the kitchen, clean/picked up at all times in case someone drops in. LOL--in the old days you could welcome (and confine) your gentleman callers to the front parlor.

by Anonymousreply 5609/12/2013

I watch (too much) HGTV and "open floor plan" on that show means kitchen-lving room-dining room. Bedrooms are always down the hall.

These places with the bedroom visible as well are just nuts.

by Anonymousreply 5709/12/2013

Both styles, open and traditional, have their benefits and drawbacks.

I can't believe how much passion is being exhibited on a thread that is about preferences regarding home design. Is it necessary to use even something as mundane as this to feel superior to whole groups of people you've never met but only theorized about?

"Open Floor Plan People are barbarians who wear flip-flops and enjoy baked potato bars *snicker*!"

"Only cranky old people like traditional homes with separate rooms!"

How silly. By all means, have a preference and feel free to express it but your preferred home design doesn't make you inherently superior or inferior to anybody else. It's just a matter of personal taste.

by Anonymousreply 5809/12/2013

I love how the mothers on these shows always tout the merits of open floor plans so they can "keep an eye on the kids". You know that in a few years the whole family will be desperate for walls.

by Anonymousreply 5909/12/2013

I don't have children that I have to monitor every minute of the day, so I really don't feel the need for an open floor plan. It feels kind of lazy to me not to build some walls. I like the intimacy of a smaller dining room, too.

by Anonymousreply 6009/12/2013

I agree with R17 and I also hate the suburban trend of vaulted ceilings!

by Anonymousreply 6109/12/2013

No, OP, you're not alone - I hate, hate, hate, them too! Have myself only ever lived in apts; brother/family have had a number of homes (he moved a lot for work); I ALWAYS preferred the ones that were cut up into proper rooms. But this open space style is very popular: I do not know why. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 6209/12/2013

I notice comments like that a lot on those shows, R59. People always express preferences that reflect their immediate lifestyle with no thought of the future. Couples with small children rarely even consider what their lives will be like with teenagers---hint: completely different.

I always feel second hand embarrassment for the kids whose superfau moms do expensive "theme" decor in their bedrooms based on what the kid is into right at the moment (Star Wars, etc.). You just know the kid will be cringing with embarrassment in a year or two and begging frau-mom to change it all. And she'll refuse--screeching that it was too expensive to decorate in the first place, so he'll have to wait a few years.

I also love when people yammer on incessantly about how a potential home will be "ideal for entertaining" as if that's the most important thing. The vast majority of people have maybe 2-3 parties a year. So you're buying a house that you will live in for 365 days based how you will use it 2-3 days out of that year. Yeah, that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 6309/12/2013

Me, too, R13 (full disclosure: just barely!)

by Anonymousreply 6409/12/2013

Their "entertaining" consists of fighting with drunk and dysfunctional family members at Xmas. They have no friends.

by Anonymousreply 6509/12/2013

[quote]I also insist on an entry hall albeit a very small one. I hate walking directly into a living room with that little transition area.

Agreed, R55, I have to have a place with a proper entry, not open the front door and "bang", there you are.

Though even a small space will do, entry halls and other circulation spaces (stairways, hallways, and other connecting spaces) are among the most important in a house or apartment. They needn't be mean and perfunctory afterthoughts.

Gigantic bedrooms and even larger master bedroom suites, huge bathrooms with ranks of sinks, vast kitchens, multi-car garages...these HGTV favorites are not important to me, but well developed entry halls, corridors, stairways (and rooms) are.

My current house is heavy on circulation spaces, or rather one long spine of a center hall, 10' x 70', running the length of the house on both floors, with a stairway at opposite ends.

by Anonymousreply 6609/12/2013

Some of this is dictated by the size of the place and the size of the family. I agree that the master doesn't belong off the kitchen (maid's quarters with a sunken tub) but living with a thin wall between you and your teenager will get old.

I am struck by the living room doors on House Hunters International, but I agree that the only reason to have the kitchen in the living room is a)lack of space or b) you are a famous chef and watching you cook is part of the "entertaining"

BTW, do that many people entertain that much?

by Anonymousreply 6709/12/2013

If you had fewer walls, you'd know whether you were alone.

by Anonymousreply 6809/12/2013

Well tonight on House Hunters two gay guys in NYC were looking for a 2 bedroom co-op. One of the guys hated open kitchens, granit counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

by Anonymousreply 6909/13/2013

[quote]One of the guys hated open kitchens, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

Yes, R69, I saw that. He had a classic case of a New Yorker's insincere, insecure taste.

"Are these granite counters?" [As though he had just read the forensic materials analysis report concluding that they were, indeed, granite.]

"Oh, well that won't do at all. We'll have to replace them at some point." [Not because they are ugly, or for some sound reason, but because the taste arbiters say they are a little too, well, West Virginia aspirational.]

by Anonymousreply 7009/13/2013

These floor plans are always being pushed on the home improvement shows. They always are knocking down walls, some that are important load-bearing that hold the fucking structure up. They want to herd people into one big room where others can be seen and watched without walls obstructing their views. It's like living in a big warehouse.

by Anonymousreply 7109/13/2013

Open floor houses are pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 7209/13/2013

[quote]Why would a bedroom be on the same floor as entertaining rooms?

Perhaps because its a one-story space, Sherlock.

by Anonymousreply 7309/13/2013

Hit a little nerve thee, huh r70?

by Anonymousreply 7409/13/2013

No, you are not alone in your dislike of the open floor plan. I like a room with doors that I can close off, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 7509/13/2013

As I said, I hate the open floor plan. Maybe this is why most of the mid-century homes I see online in Palm Springs, CA look so unappealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 7609/13/2013

r53, you said it best! One of the best posts here...make that THE BEST!

by Anonymousreply 7709/13/2013

Open floor plans are Republican in nature.

They're energy hogs. Half the energy you use floats to the ceiling and then you have to use more energy via ceiling fan to re-distribute the heating/cooling.

With doors and normal-height ceilings you can limit heating and cooling to the areas of the house you actually use simply by closing vents.

by Anonymousreply 7809/13/2013

[quote]In the traditional boxed-up arrangement, I'm either stuck in the kitchen away from the guests for a lot of the time

Then you're not doing it right. Throwing a proper party involves planning it so that you can be with your guests 90% of the time and just dash into the kitchen to do last minute checks and take things in and out of the oven. You shouldn't be in the stages of having to closely monitor things if you're doing it right.

by Anonymousreply 7909/13/2013

My dad's house had cathedral ceilings. I closed it off and built a den for him. The living room still had 11 ft ceilings and the den had a more standard 8. The windows dictated ceiling height (because I didn't want to reformat fenestration. It was a relatively cheap renovation, too. He got his money back when he sold the house.

by Anonymousreply 8009/13/2013

My favorite house in the world is in Litchfield, CT. It has an enormous stone 2-sided fireplace that divides the kitchen from the living room. The kitchen is huge with an island and butler's pantry. There is a cozy seating area around the fireplace. The dining room is a separate room off the kitchen, and you can see the fireplace from the doorway but not all the kitchen-y parts.

That is the ideal house for "entertaining" and I've been to some amazing parties with anywhere from 4 - 60 people.

by Anonymousreply 8109/13/2013

If you're single - I don't think you need more than 600 sq ft with an open floor plan.

For me, living with someone means two 600 sq ft apts on the same block.

by Anonymousreply 8209/13/2013

[quote]If you're single - I don't think you need more than 600 sq ft with an open floor plan.

Fuck that. By your line of logic, only huge families are entitled to space and nice houses/apartments?

by Anonymousreply 8309/13/2013

The thing about the kitchen opening to the great room so that mom "can keep an eye on the kid" is fine in theory. In reality the kids are sitting in front of the TV and mom is playing with her phone in the kitchen while waiting for the kids' Hot Pockets snacks to be done. All of the kids toys are kept in the basement that she insisted be finished because "the kids have no place to play with their toys."

by Anonymousreply 8409/13/2013

Oh please, pretentious is pretentious, pretentiousness is a human feature not a residential feature.

by Anonymousreply 8509/13/2013

If you're single it can work, but people need some privacy. I one is sleeping, studyinh etc the other has to tiptoe around? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8609/13/2013

I know plenty of people that have managed to entertain for decades with a separate kitchen. A pass-through window is a good compromise. But the last thing I want to see from my living room is a bunch of ugly appliances.

And to the person that said singles should be able to live in 600 square feet...you have GOT to be kidding me.

by Anonymousreply 8709/13/2013

I hate open floor plans. When we were apartment hunting, one of the reasons we chose the apartment that we did was because the kitchen wasn't in the living room.

However, sometimes I do wish the wall had one of those shutters that open and close, like on the Mary Tyler Moore show, so that I could have the best of both worlds.

But yeah, no open floor plans for me.

by Anonymousreply 8809/13/2013

For open-floor-plan phobics, Curbed's house of the day will give you the heebie jeebies:

[quote]Enormous Converted New Orleans Church Wants $2.5M

by Anonymousreply 8909/13/2013

I love my home.It has approximately 4600 sq ft entry opens into large living room that is opened to the kitchen, library, and family. The 1/2 bath located in the foyer,a bathroom in master suite, a bathroom located between two bedrooms, another bath between the other bedrooms and a 1/2 bathroom in the utility room. I can go to one of bathrooms and see all the way through the living room,the kitchen, the family room , and the den. After you walk out of the foyer and to the living room, the space opens to all areas mentioned above. The master suite and other bedrooms are laid out so you can't see anything after enter a bedroom. Only the I don't like about floor plan is the huge walk in closets. They are big enough that they could be made into small bedrooms. I also love the atrium that comes out of the den where I have a great view of the lake I live by. Closes neighbor is 2 miles away. I love the open places.

by Anonymousreply 9009/13/2013

r90 why do you need all that space?

by Anonymousreply 9109/13/2013

[quote]Fuck that. By your line of logic, only huge families are entitled to space and nice houses/apartments?

Never said that.

[quote] And to the person that said singles should be able to live in 600 square feet...you have GOT to be kidding me.

Very serious. Lots and lots of people in the US and the world over do it.

by Anonymousreply 9209/13/2013

Oh, and if your a Christmas queen like me, forget about thinking your Christmas tchotkes will look cute and pretty in an open floor plan. It all gets lost and you barely notice them. Even the Christmas tree gets lost and may as well be a fake palm tree.

by Anonymousreply 9309/13/2013

R82 I think you may be insane. The house that I lived in before I inherited the one I'm in now was 2,208 square feet and I felt like I was constantly tripping over myself. If I had company staying over for a few days I felt as though there was no quiet place to have a reprieve.

This one is 5,892 and I still have to put things in a storage building due to lack of room, however I feel like I have enough space to actually live and If i'm in the Study paying bills I don't feel like i'm conducting my business in front of house guests.

I even think I could manage having a partner live with me in this space.

by Anonymousreply 9409/13/2013

Two of us live happily in a 450 square foot apartment. Yes, when I retire (he already is), we'll upsize, but not too big.

by Anonymousreply 9509/13/2013

[quote]...an open consept kitchen. It was horrible.

That does sound horrible. And prone to infection.

by Anonymousreply 9609/13/2013

This the type of floor plan I would love to have.

by Anonymousreply 9709/14/2013

R97, I checked out your link. That is really nice! that floor plan has an Art Deco feel which is terrific.

The trend now for people not wanting any walls around their bathrooms and bedrooms they have completely lost their marbles. I think that is a sign that our society is going off the deep end.

I'm single and I never cared to live in a huge mansion, but I do want and need space because I can't stand living in a cramped place. I always wanted to live in an old cottage that has a lot of charming character. I think it is scary to live in an enormous mansion.Gosh! you are sleeping on one side of the mansion ,and a professional thief could break in and you would never hear a pin drop from that thief because the place is so huge! Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 9809/14/2013

r97, that's a great apartment. A comfortable and efficient use of space and light, with good pathways between rooms.

It seems like architects used to pay more attention to how a person would feel interacting with the space/rooms.

by Anonymousreply 9909/14/2013

just as long as there are "tons of cupboards" and a big soaking tub

by Anonymousreply 10009/14/2013

Check it out. Treasure trove of pre-war buildings and their floor plans.

by Anonymousreply 10109/14/2013

r89, the next time you share a link, please do not show us something with white appliances.

by Anonymousreply 10209/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.