Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Which gay couple had the best chemistry?

Inspired by the recent thread where people mentioned Ledger and Jake G weren't that impressive in BBM.

In your opinion which actors did the best job making you believe they were hot for and in love with each other?

Either Film or TV is fine.

by Central Castingreply 9109/22/2013

Brian Kerwin and Harvey Fierstein. The only believable relationship in "Torch Song Trilogy."

by Central Castingreply 109/11/2013

An unconvential choice: Bradley Cooper and Michael Ian Black in "Wet Hot American Summer". Their love scene is feels tender and real and works better than 99% of love scenes I've seen in most gay movies or on TV.

by Central Castingreply 209/11/2013

Cameron Monaghan and Noel Fisher have great chemistry on Shameless.

by Central Castingreply 309/11/2013

I know they weren't a couple but in "August" I thought Murray Bartlett and his ex's boyfriend had great chemistry...much more so than he and his ex.

by Central Castingreply 409/11/2013

[quote]In your opinion which actors did the best job making you believe they were hot for and in love with each other?

Tom Hardy and Chris Pine in "This Means War."

by Central Castingreply 509/11/2013

I feel Noel Fisher is great as Mickey and believable but he carries their scenes I want to like Cameron more but I think he is a mediocre actor.

by Central Castingreply 609/11/2013

Sam Neill and Alesandro Nivola in Jurassic Park 3

by Central Castingreply 709/11/2013

I actually thought Jo Weil and Thore Schoelermann were really good in Verbotene Liebe...especially for a soap and a German one at that. As a German I have to admit the acting in most German TV shows is atrocious.

by Central Castingreply 809/11/2013

1. Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly were smoldering in Bound.

2. Loved the tension between Hart Bochner and Colin Firth in Apartment Zero.

3. And the suburban domestic bliss of Cam and Mitch.

by Central Castingreply 909/11/2013

I feel just the opposite, R6. In fact, I'm so over Noel Fisher's across the board "badass" schtick, I hope never to see him in anything ever again.

by Central Castingreply 1009/11/2013

Eduardo Noriega and Leonardo Sbaraglia in Burned Money

Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon in The Hunger

Eusebio Poncela and Miguel Molina in Law of Desire

Eusebio Poncela and Antonio Banderas in Law of Desire

David Sutcliffe and Antonio Sabato, Jr. in Testosterone

David Sutcliffe and Leonardo Brzeziicki in Testosterone

Tom Cullen and Chris New in Weekend

Colin Firth and Hart Bochner in Apartment Zero

Colin Firth and Jon Kortajarena in A Single Man

Colin Firth and Nicholas Hoult in A Single Man

Glenn Close and Judy Davis in Serving in Silence

Melina Mercouri and Alexis Smith in Once is Not Enough

by Central Castingreply 1109/11/2013

When Hugh Jackman was getting an award on TV and he thanked his partner, John Palermo, you knew the chemistry was there.

by Central Castingreply 1209/11/2013

Chris Meloni and Lee Tergesen on Oz. Obsession, love, jealousy and passion.

by Central Castingreply 1309/11/2013

Daniel Day-Lewis and Gordon Warnecke in "My Beautiful Laundrette".

by Central Castingreply 1409/11/2013

R5 Is their relationship so good This Means War is worth renting? It gets terrible reviews, and it's not available for streaming on Netflix or on DVD at redbox.

by Central Castingreply 1509/11/2013

Not really, it was just an amusing critique that Pine and Hardy had more chemistry with each other than either had with Witherspoon. Several critics noted it.

Actually back on topic: "Yossi and Jagger". The chemistry between Ohad Knoller and Yehuda Levi was beautiful.

by Central Castingreply 1609/11/2013

Kirk and Spock.

Aragorn and Legolas.

Holmes and Watson.

by Central Castingreply 1709/11/2013

John Barrowman and Gareth David-Lloyd (Captain Jack Harkness and Ianto Jones respectively), "Torchwood"

by Central Castingreply 1809/11/2013

If we just start listing guys who had chemistry who weren't actually playing a romantic pairing that kinda ruins the point of the thread.

by Central Castingreply 1909/11/2013

Agron and Nasir on Spartacus.

by Central Castingreply 2009/11/2013

Anne Heche and Joan Chen in Wild Side. It wasn't just physical chemistry. They had great romantic chemistry.

Back when Melrose place was on TV, the gay character had an affair with a kind of butch military guy. They had such great chemistry I was so pissed it was a short arc story and when they later got the gay guy a boyfriend, it was some bland dude.

I don't know if Boys Don't Cry counts, but Hilary Swank and Chloe Svegney had great chemistry in that. Not sure it counts because Svegney's character thinks Swank's is a guy for most of it. When they do hook up as themselves, it's distracting because it violates the real story upon which it's based - Brandon Tina was transgender, not an undercover lesbian looking for acceptance as a lesbian.

by Central Castingreply 2109/11/2013

Michael and Nick - Parting Glances

by Central Castingreply 2209/11/2013

Gale Harold and Randy Harrison in Queer as folk, best chemistry ever

by Central Castingreply 2309/12/2013

Balki and Larry.

by Central Castingreply 2409/12/2013

Brendan and Ste-Holyoaks

by Central Castingreply 2509/12/2013

John Barrowman and James Marsters (Captain John Hart) burned up the screen in Torchwood as well, r18.

by Central Castingreply 2609/12/2013

Michael C. Hall and Mathew St. Patrick on "Six Feet Under." David and Keith were real and fucked up and horny and flawed. And totally believable.

by Central Castingreply 2709/12/2013

R19 has no sense of humor.

The "This Is War" post was funny. Though obviously if you were oblivious to the movie, you wouldn't have gotten it.

(and no, it's not a good movie)

by Central Castingreply 2809/12/2013

Ewan McGregor and Jonathan Rhys Meyers in Velvet Goldmine.

by Central Castingreply 2909/12/2013

Tim Dekay and Matt Bomer.

by Central Castingreply 3009/12/2013

Patrick Dempsey and Erik McCormick on "Will and Grace." I didn't buy Dempsey as a sports nut but they had great chemistry together. I never believed any of Will's other relationships.

by Central Castingreply 3109/12/2013

Karen Walker & Rosario Salazar on Will & Grace.

by Central Castingreply 3209/12/2013

Actually, Robert Downey Jr. & Jude Law in the very first Sherlock Holmes movie had great chemistry. It was an often commented on observation by critics.

But honestly, OP, in answer to your original question, Gyllenhall and Ledger in Brokeback Mountain really had it. IMO, they have the best chemistry on screen.

by Central Castingreply 3309/12/2013

Ben Shenkman (Louis Ironson) and Justin Kirk (Prior Walter) in the miniseries of "Angels in America."

by Central Castingreply 3409/12/2013

The scene in the restaurant in Another Country with Rupert Everett and Cary Elwes. One of the best depictions of the flush of first time romance.

by Central Castingreply 3509/12/2013

The two guys in Best Of Show (Michael McKeann and John Michael Higgins). Their relationship seemed very real. You really believed their everyday interaction as well as their deeper love for each other.

Just the way they look at each other portrays a relationship where they have deep respect for one another, able as well to finish each other's sentences.

by Central Castingreply 3609/12/2013

Another vote for Thore Schoelermann and Jo Weil in Verbotene Liebe; when the relationship between Olli and Christian was at its height, their chemistry was off the map -- both passionate and tender, with little intimate moments thrown in that made you believe they were really a couple in love.

by Central Castingreply 3709/12/2013

I vote for David and Keith but I thought Jack and Ennis were very hot together.

Keanu and River in My Own Private Idaho.

by Central Castingreply 3809/12/2013

Yossi & Jagger!

by Central Castingreply 3909/12/2013

All my favorites have already been mentioned, but here they are anyway:

Daniel Day-Lewis and Gordon Warnecke - My Beautiful Laundrette

Chris Meloni and Lee Tergesen - Oz

Gale Harold and Randy Harrison - QAF

Michael C Hall and Mathew St. Patrick - Six Feet Under

I thought that Ennis and Jack were hot together. Oh, and Luke Macfarlane and Matthew Rhys had great chemistry too.

by Central Castingreply 4009/12/2013

Luke and Dr. Reid Oliver on As The World Turns, even though they were given a sad (and homophobic) ending.

by Central Castingreply 4109/12/2013

Excellent choices, R11.

I thought first of Weekend and then Plata Quemada (Burned Money) and Testosterone (a bad movie saved by Buenos Aires and the sexuality chemistry.)

by Central Castingreply 4209/12/2013

Rupert Graves and James Wilby in Maurice

by Central Castingreply 4309/12/2013

R28 I like a joke, including a sarcastic post like R5's about "This Means War." But I clicked the thread hoping to find some good movies with gay characters, and there are few contemporary actors I'd like to fuck more than Chris Pine.

So I was hoping R5 was actually being serious. Oh, well.

by Central Castingreply 4409/12/2013

You're an idiot, R9. Domestic bliss? Cam and Mitch don't even act like they like each other, let alone have chemistry or are remotely believable as a couple.

by Central Castingreply 4509/12/2013

Exactly, R37!! I am glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

by Central Castingreply 4609/12/2013

Tara and Willow in "Buffy".

by Central Castingreply 4709/12/2013

So true, R45. I stopped watching because of how mean JTF's character is to his partner.

by Central Castingreply 4809/12/2013

{quote]I stopped watching because of how mean JTF's character is to his partner.

It's comedy. They are following a classic straight-guy (pardon the pun)/comic formula, in which one character acts up and the other one rolls his eyes at him (just so happens that Mitch does it literally because, well, his character's gay!)

Are you also offended by the way Jay treats Gloria? Or the way the blonde wife treats her husband? If not, then you're being hypersensitive to the dynamics between Cam and Mitch and I'm betting my bottom dollar that it's because they are gay and you are harping on political correctness.

In other words, lighten up!

If you think Mitch is being particularly cruel, I'd hate to think what your opinion is of the following couples, who pretty much have been following the same formula since the beginning of comedy:

Burns and Allen

Lucy and Desi

Ralph and Alice

Tony and Jeannie

Max and Agt.99

Archie and Edith

Bob and Emily

Bill and Claire

Tim and Jill

Ray and Debra

Doug and Carrie

Greg and Kim

Jimmy and Christine

Christine, Richard, and New Christine

Practically every supporting comedic couple next-door or in any musical ...

by Central Castingreply 4909/12/2013

Noriega and Sbaraglia in Burnt Money, one of my favorite gay-themed movies of all time. I don't think you could find a sexier couple of actors. They were perfect.

by Central Castingreply 5009/12/2013

Truth be told, I don't watch much comedy, R49. I'm not sure who any of these characters are, even:

Bill and Claire

Tim and Jill

Ray and Debra

Doug and Carrie

Greg and Kim

Jimmy and Christine

Christine, Richard, and New Christine

by Central Castingreply 5109/12/2013

[quote]Truth be told, I don't watch much comedy

Then with all due respect, since you prefer serious subject matters, that may be the reason you're inclined to approach sitcoms from a very righteous perspective - you are a serious person and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Anyway

Bill and Claire (The Cosby Show)

Tim and Jill (Home Improvement)

Ray and Debra (Everybody Loves Raymond)

Doug and Carrie (The King Of Queens)

Greg and Kim (Yes, Dear)

Jimmy and Christine(Yes, Dear)

Christine, Richard, and New Christine (The New Adventures of Old Christine)

by Central Castingreply 5209/12/2013

[quote]Gale Harold and Randy Harrison in Queer as folk, best chemistry ever

There is some truth that this is one of the best mainstream examples, in the early seasons Gale and Randy did sizzle together, one of the better parts of that terrible show.

And yeah "Weekend" goes without saying, that remains one of the best "gay-themed" movies ever IMO.

by Central Castingreply 5309/12/2013

Thank you for that R52. But I have to ask: you're aware the topic isn't "Comedies That Are (or Were) on Television," but rather "Which Gay Couples Had the Most Chemistry?"

by Central Castingreply 5409/12/2013

I have to second Gale and Randy as well. Or should I say Brian and Justin? With those two I never know...

by Central Castingreply 5509/12/2013

Yes, r54. But you were the one who said you stopped watching a comedy because of the way one character was treating another. So you weren't any closer to the subject matter (did you even suggest a couple? I did in other posts) than I was by commenting on your post.

In other (much more immature) words, you started it. :)

by Central Castingreply 5609/12/2013

Bert and Ernie

by Central Castingreply 5709/12/2013

All of which is IBI, R56. Interesting, but irrelevant. I would like Jesse's character no more or no less if the show were a drama.

by Central Castingreply 5809/12/2013

Was this nominated for Best Song at the Oscars?

by Central Castingreply 5909/12/2013

Never bought Brian and Justin as a couple.

by Central Castingreply 6009/12/2013

R30 mentioning the White Collar guys made me think about Tim Dekay in Big Eden.

I haven't seen the movie in several years, but I remember thinking that the love he and Arye Gross had for each other was played very well.

by Central Castingreply 6109/12/2013

Bruno & Pablo in the movie "Plan B" from Argentina.

by Central Castingreply 6209/12/2013

Not really supposed to be a gay couple but they had incredible onscreen chemistry, the two male leads Skarsgard and Landon? from Hemlock Grove.

by Central Castingreply 6309/12/2013

Looking at R59's link, why didn't James Wilby and Rupert Graves become bigger stars?

by Central Castingreply 6409/12/2013

I especially agree with R55 and R33 as well as -- with a smile -- R57.

For me also, I really 'bought' Tom Hanks' and Antonio Banderas' portrayal of Andrew and Miguel as a long-time couple who'd been through a lot together. They seemed like real gay couples I know. Then all the lawyer stuff and Andrew's 100% accepting family brought me back into fantasy land, but still a good film overall and Hanks and Banderas really made it work. Denzel Washington as the lawyer was good too.

by Central Castingreply 6509/12/2013

Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey in "Heavenly Creatures".

Alison Folland and Leisha Hailey in "All Over Me".

Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas in "Philadelphia".

Jane Lynch and Jennifer Coolidge in "Best in Show".

by Central Castingreply 6609/12/2013

I second Christian and Olli from Verbotene Liebe-- best chemistry ever as far as I'm concerned.

I also liked the lead actors' chemistry in:

Morgan Love Songs

by Central Castingreply 6709/12/2013

Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor - crossing every lesbian subtext line since 1997.

Actually, Lucy Lawless and any + 1 actress she's ever screen-timed with. She's gayer than any straight person has a right to be.

by Central Castingreply 6809/12/2013

Jennifer Tilly

Gina Gershon

in Bound

by Central Castingreply 6909/12/2013

Stef Foster & Lena Adams of ABC Family's "The Fosters." I've bought EVERYTHING about that relationship, so far (10 episodes).

by Central Castingreply 7009/12/2013

The amusing thing is that Thore says his scenes with Jo even look real to him (not in an arrogant and self-congratulatory way). He did also say that if he, Thore, were gay Jo would be the man for him. Their friendship is very sweet and I guess that translates into their on-screen chemistry.

by Central Castingreply 7109/13/2013

Hanno Koffler and Max Riemelt in Free Fall. Love the way actors in European movies don't have a problem to do natural, explicit love scenes. The two have great chemistry.

by Central Castingreply 7209/13/2013

It's more of a case that European directors/producers/audiences are okay with it R72.

The decision of how explicit scenes are is not made by actors, and in most cases actors are game for anything.

by Central Castingreply 7309/13/2013

Idgie and Ruth

by Central Castingreply 7409/13/2013

Bill O'Reilly and Larry King. Larry King is hung like John Holmes and shoves it into O'Reilly's waiting bunghole. O'Reilly says Larry King's cock makes him feel fair and balanced.

by Central Castingreply 7509/13/2013

R73 I mostly agree, but sometimes I get the feeling that American actors feel a bit uncomfortable in these kind of scenes. But maybe that is just the general anti-sex/-nudity vibe of US cinema coloring off on them.

by Central Castingreply 7609/13/2013

I agree about Banderos/Hanks, but mostly because Banderos really grounded that relationship. Hanks won an Oscar (right? or am I remembering wrong) but I don't think it was his best performance. His Oscar bait speech in that, holding the IV stand, didn't take off. Denzel Washington was great, Banderos was great. He did this little shuffle/dance see you later thing to Hanks (only saw the movie once so can't describe it exactly) and I remember feeling relieved for Hanks' character that this was his boyfriend.

by Central Castingreply 7709/21/2013

I'm going with the guys from 'Weekend' as well. I especially like that the director, in an interview, referred to their chemistry as simply good acting.

by Central Castingreply 7809/21/2013

Nick's "Drake & Josh"

by Central Castingreply 7909/21/2013

Has nobody mentioned "Psych"? Dule Hill and Roday are like a married couple.

by Central Castingreply 8009/21/2013

Tim DeKay and Arye Gross in "Big Eden". Unlikely coupling but somehow it worked.

by Central Castingreply 8109/21/2013

Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung Chiu Wai in "Happy Together".

by Central Castingreply 8209/21/2013

I loved the relationship between Agron and Nasir in Spartacus -- so intense.

by Central Castingreply 8309/21/2013

Sal Mineo and James Dean.

by Central Castingreply 8409/21/2013

Piper Perdo and Lena Heady in 'Imagine Me and You'

by Central Castingreply 8509/21/2013

They were not a couple, but jessica Lange and Michelle Phieffer(sp?) in that awful movie A Thousand Acres.

by Central Castingreply 8609/21/2013

I just finished watching "I Killed My Mother" and would nominate the main character Hubert and his boyfriend Antonin. Xavier Dolan directed and starred in this film, all of 20 years old. Color me impressed.

by Central Castingreply 8709/22/2013

[quote]Melina Mercouri and Alexis Smith in Once is Not Enough

In portraying a lesbian couple, I thought they came across as believable. They had a fight, then had sex. And given the time (1975), I can't imagine Paramount even released a major picture with a love scene with two older women.

Bizarrely, the most believable couple in "Jacqueline Susann's 'Once is Not Enough'" was Kirk Douglas and Deborah Raffin, playing father and daughter.

by Central Castingreply 8809/22/2013

Sam and Dean Winchester, the first years of Supernatural you could have cut the unresolved sexual tension with a knife.

by Central Castingreply 8909/22/2013

Freddie Smith and Brant Daugherty Days of our lives

by Central Castingreply 9009/22/2013

Agree wholeheatedly, r89.

by Central Castingreply 9109/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.