Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

No threads on this movie?

I loved the first two (which I guess makes me a rare person indeed) and just got back from seeing the third one.

I really liked it. Not super mind-blowing amazing, but exactly what it sets out to be, and better than some of the reviews I read indicated it would be.

They say if this one does well enough (not difficult given the tiny budget), there will be two more. I sure hope so.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

by Anonymousreply 109/11/2013

Haven't seen it yet.

Can you say if it's a prequel or a sequel?

by Anonymousreply 209/11/2013

Meh. It seemed like a rehash of Pitch Black.

by Anonymousreply 309/11/2013

It's a sequel. It takes place some time after "The Chronicles of Riddick".

And R3, it did seem that way from the previews, but its' not as much as you would think. The movie covers several years of Riddick being stranded on a wild out-of-the-way planet by the Necromongers after they ousted him ("they keep what they kill") and left him for dead. Only he didn't die.

And when he finds an abandoned mercenary outpost, he sends a signal which calls two teams of mercs in to collect him for the bounty. He then tries to get off the planet using their ship(s). So the main hunt is with them, not monsters.

Of course, the monsters show up in the 3rd act, but it's not the same as in "Pitch Black" by any means.

It's not EXCELLENT or anything, but it's fun and interesting, it's totally "Riddick" (if you liked the other movies, you'll like this one), it has some intense and well done set-pieces... though the first act isn't as action packed as I'm sure people would want (it's just him alone, surviving on the planet).

It did make me look forward to more. There were just enough references to the first movies to make me want to go back and watch them, as well as just enough hints of the universe around that makes me want to see another movie that fleshes out things a bit more (I would love to learn the history of Furia/Furions).

by Anonymousreply 409/11/2013

The only drawback to the movie: Half a dozen female breasts... but the only naked male buttocks you see are at an extreme distance. There is one cute guy though (youngish) and an attractive one (older) besides Vin Diesel.

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2013

I objected to the absence of Dame Judi Dench as a cloud of vapor in human form!

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2013

LOVED Pitch Black, couldn't even make it 20 min. into Chronicles.

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2013

Chronicles of Riddick was nothing like Pitched Black.

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2013

Chronicles was rather sprawling... lots of great set pieces. Worth watching.

"Riddick" is more stripped down like Pitch Black.

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2013

Anyone else think that Boss Johns and the twink mercenary were going to get it on? They sure seemed close at the end.

I'm actually sorry that the creatures woke up in the third act because that scene with Riddick and all the surviving characters in the the station was terrific and really felt like the finale. It's so rare to see characters playing off each other like that. The rest was gravy.

by Anonymousreply 1009/11/2013

That woulda been hot, R10, but no, I never got that feeling while watching.

by Anonymousreply 1109/11/2013

Oh, yippee, another movie where the supposed lesbian jumps on a penis!

by Anonymousreply 1209/12/2013

I don't see THOSE kinds of movies.

by Anonymousreply 1309/12/2013

R12, she didn't really. But yeah, I hated the implication there (and the less-than-vaguely rape-y talk).

by Anonymousreply 1409/12/2013

I only want to see this for that hot piece of ass Katee Sackhoff. Is she playing the lesbian? Please say yes please say yes please say yes...

by Anonymousreply 1509/12/2013

Yes, she's playing the lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1609/12/2013

>>Yes, she's playing the lesbian.>>

Plus, surprisingly, you also get Sackhoff tit. It's even referenced by Riddick later on.

I think I can understand why lesbians would be rather incensed by another "just needs a good fuck" movie. But I'm not sure that it's really inferred that they do fuck. SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>She's curiously absent in the film's coda, which makes me think there was reshooting that she wasn't available for. Did she originally go off with him towards Furya? Riddick does predict that Sackhoff's Dahl will be straddling his cock by the end. She does, but not in the way anyone expected. That her dialogue in that scene is somewhat muffled doesn't help things. What did she say?

by Anonymousreply 1709/12/2013

R17, you're an asshole for fucking up the format of this thread...

by Anonymousreply 1809/12/2013

Spoiler... ..

No she didn't go with him.

by Anonymousreply 1909/12/2013

It was better than I thought. The cast really stepped up and delivered. The monsters were fearsome except when they came against Vin Diesel, and they seemed to be tripped up by the simplest deflections.

by Anonymousreply 2009/12/2013

Every single line of Sackhoff's dialogue referenced her lesbianism, or being raped. It was grotesque. This is what they do with the only female character in a film in 2013? Oh wait there was that other woman, the one who was chained up, referenced as having been raped, and then shot to death, too.

by Anonymousreply 2109/12/2013

Does Nolan Gerard Funk show off his giant, uncut cock?! If so, I will go see the movie this weekend!

by Anonymousreply 2209/12/2013

R22, no cock shots. No butt shots either, except side-butt from great distance (can't see anything).

by Anonymousreply 2309/12/2013

I think Riddick is one of the more under-appreciated movie franchises out there. There's talk there will be two more movies coming in the next few years, and for that I'm thankful. It's better than a lot of crap out there. I just hope they keep them R-Rated. Riddick shouldn't be PG-13. Of course, that means they'll be lower-budget, "smaller" movies, but that's fine. It rather suits the character.

by Anonymousreply 2409/15/2013

I hope the next one has more exposed male flesh to go with all the titties.

by Anonymousreply 2509/17/2013

R21, don't come her with your kvetching. It's not our big ol' gay fault that the men who supposedly love (and can tolerate) women at close and sustained proximity tend to get off on seeing them brutalized and killed.

Shaddup already.

by Anonymousreply 2609/17/2013

Well, at least it made its budget back now.

I really expected it to do better.

I hope they still manage to do the sequel. I guess this will have to do well in rentals and DVD sales and such for that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

I liked it, but I like the Riddick character anyways.

SPOILER (sorta)

Definitely more like Pitch Black -- enough so that they blatantly ripped off the idea of the creatures coming out when the rains fell (and the mercenary camp with all the missing people).

Wasn't quite sure what he was talking about when he initially saw the "storm clouds" in the distance and decided it was time to go, however. Initially, I thought he was referencing the Necromongers returning.

And I didn't get the idea that he spent years on the planet with the dog creature....I figured it was a matter of months. Not that's it's a big plot point I missed, but it just never occurred to me while watching it.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

Diesel really hasn't lived up to the hype though.

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

Good movies. Needed more time in the beasts.

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!