Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bucharest's stray dog problem: Tens of thousands roam the city attacking people

I'm not at all afraid of dogs, but I'm not sure I could handle living somewhere like this out of fear. Some highlights:

[quote]Animal welfare group Vier Pfoten says the city has 40,000 stray dogs, while City Hall claims there are 64,000 strays.

[quote]The stray dog population of this city of 2 million rose rapidly as the city expanded into once rural areas after communism ended in 1989. The Matei Bals hospital which handles infectious diseases has treated 9,760 people for dog bites in the first eight months of the year, of which a quarter were children, according to spokesman Catalin Apostolescu. It was the death of the 4-year-old boy playing with his older brother in a park that sparked a new impassioned debate over putting down strays.

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013

They need some serious animal control

by Anonymousreply 109/10/2013

They need a strict spay/neuter policy. All dogs no matter what. And rehome the puppies from current litters to another area. The volunteers could help with that.

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2013

Other cities in the former eastern bloc also have the same problems. Moving them out isn't much of an option because they won't be taken in.

by Anonymousreply 309/10/2013

Its a doggy dog world these days.

by Anonymousreply 409/10/2013

Let's send them some coyotes!

by Anonymousreply 509/10/2013

Bring in some hungry Filipinos

by Anonymousreply 609/10/2013

Spay neuter find homes for puppies Slaughter them!!!!

by Anonymousreply 709/10/2013

Here Ceausescu! Here Elena! Mommy's got a nice orphan for you!

Where ARE those puppies???

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2013

[quote]I'm not at all afraid of dogs

Sure, until you've been attacked by a roving dog pack, they all seem cute.

These are not pets.

by Anonymousreply 909/10/2013

How could you possibly begin to read a sentence and not finish it, R9?

by Anonymousreply 1009/10/2013

Sarah McLachlan is working on Romanian translations of all her tear-jerkers as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

Athens, Greece has lots of stray dogs, but they are all so docile. I wanted to take some home with me, such sweet beasts.

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

So you somehow missed Cerberus, R12?

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2013

They also have a problem with stray and feral children - watch the documentary Children Underground (on Netflix), it's chilling.

by Anonymousreply 1409/10/2013

I hate to say it but those countries have very little money, they need to have a spay and neuter program but they also need to round them up and euthanize them. People can't always be afraid of walking out their front doors.

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2013

Wasn't it written a few years ago that Bucharest was the city that had a rat infestation problem?

Sounds like such a lovely place.

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2013

You dog lovers are crazy!!! I used to be okay with them till one bit me. Damn owner didn't have him on a leash. Animals are animals that don't behave like humans no matter how cute or docile you think they are.

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2013

They need more Chinese restaurants

by Anonymousreply 1809/10/2013

Savages

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013

dog eat dog, R4.

by Anonymousreply 2009/11/2013

"Dognado", coming soon to SyFy ......

by Anonymousreply 2109/11/2013

It could be worse.

by Anonymousreply 2209/11/2013

I for one welcome our new canine overlords.

by Anonymousreply 2309/11/2013

Ur an ijit, R20.

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2013

Romanian Court: Stray Dogs Can Be Euthanized

A bill allowing stray dogs to be euthanized is legal, Romania's constitutional court ruled Wednesday, prompting hundreds of dog lovers to block a main road outside Parliament in protest.

The ruling came weeks after a 4-year-old boy's fatal mauling in Bucharest led the government to draft the legislation.

Protesters, who blew whistles and brought some of their dogs, yelled "Criminal court!" and "May you have the same fate as the dogs!"

The bill needs to be signed by the president before it can become law. Under it, stray dogs will be taken to shelters and — if not adopted or claimed within 14 days — they will be killed. The Vier Pfoten animal welfare group criticized the ruling, saying it ignored an appeal by the European Commission to Romania to protect animal rights. The group urged Romanian mayors and vets to stop the "mass killings" of dogs.

The World Society for the Protection of Animals criticized the ruling and called the bill "both inhumane and ineffective" and called on the court and the government to find a more "effective, sustainable and humane solution to manage the stray dog population."

Bucharest City Hall says the capital has 64,000 stray dogs, while animal rights groups say there are 40,000. A hospital that handles infectious diseases has treated 9,760 people for dog bites in the first eight months of this year.

by Anonymousreply 2509/25/2013

The don't have this problem in China.

In Caracas they contracted Chinese companies to build housing projects. The companies imported Chinese workers to do the job. Local residents were shocked to see these people catch stray dogs, strangle them with barb wire and then proceed to cook them.

by Anonymousreply 2609/25/2013

I just got back from a month in Bucharest and didn't see many wild dogs - and those I did see (on the outskirts, mainly) looked well-fed and weren't aggressive, so whatever they're doing it's working. Unless I was just really lucky.

by Anonymousreply 2709/25/2013

This reminds me: How is Bob Barker still alive!? He keeps going...and going...and going...

by Anonymousreply 2809/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.