Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The New iPhone5S & 5C

I saw the release today. It says the 5S will start at $199 for a 16-gigabyte model and range up to $399 for a 64-byte version with a two-year contract.

I thought iPhones were in the $600-$700ollar range.

they say the iPhone 4 will be free with a two year contract. How can they sell one today for $500 yet give it away tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 16009/21/2013

Your minimum data plan earns the phone carrier $82 per month @ 24 months for $1968 plus initial purchase.

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2013

[quote]Those are "on contract" prices. Duh.

[quote]Your minimum data plan earns the phone carrier $82 per month @ 24 months for $1968 plus initial purchase.

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 309/10/2013

It's the 4S that will be the free-on-contract phone. The 5 is being replaced by 5C. The 5S is the new premium one which will run $199-$399 on-contract.

by Anonymousreply 509/10/2013

[quote]are you retarded?

What are you eight? You better be.

by Anonymousreply 609/10/2013

Now the NSA can access everyone's fingerprints.

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2013

I have been looking around for a contract smart phone. Sometimes they have something like $99 down but they add $24.00 x 24 months to the bill. Is that how this works too?

by Anonymousreply 909/10/2013

Pastels?

by Anonymousreply 1009/10/2013

When they upgrade the IOS, wont't that give current iPhone 4/4S/5 users most of the same interface/primary functions as this new 5S/5C?

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

Not necessarily, R11. Many of the functions and apps will only work with the new iPhone

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

I want the Gold iPhone!!

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2013

Apple blew their wad with the 4S. I don't see the need to upgrade. My next iPhone will likely be a Galaxy.

by Anonymousreply 1409/10/2013

Can you put iTunes on a non apple phone?

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2013

Apple is over. The genius is gone and they've not had a wow in years. They better hold onto that 17% market share. Maybe these pastels will do the trick.

Bwahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2013

'Apple is over."

Bwahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2013

Android is taking over.

by Anonymousreply 1809/10/2013

What's a good affordable Android phone?

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013

Android already has; they have over 70% market share. The media, in their willingness to lick Steve Jobs' testicles, however, make it seem that Apple is all-powerful. Journalism and advertorials are interchangeable sometimes. . .

by Anonymousreply 2009/10/2013

A great affordable Android phone is the Nexus 4. It is on sale at Google Play online. I think it is $50 off so it should be $325 unlocked. That is a great deal. It has great specs, too.

by Anonymousreply 2109/10/2013

[quote]The media, in their willingness to lick Steve Jobs' testicles, however, make it seem that Apple is all-powerful

How can they lick his balls?

Have they been frozen like Walt Disney's?

What do they taste like?

by Anonymousreply 2209/10/2013

[quote]I think it is $50 off so it should be $325

Guess we have different definitions of what affordable is.

by Anonymousreply 2309/11/2013

[quote]Apple is over.

Said the Android user, who wasted his $$$ on an Android.

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2013

I upgraded from the original iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 ($199 on contract.) Love it! I think the Galaxy Note 3 is coming out later this month.

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2013

No, R15.

There are some good Nokia Lumia phones for free with contract though. And you can get bright colors instead of the muted Apple 5c ones. And nearly all the same features.

by Anonymousreply 2609/11/2013

R15, why would you want to do that? iTunes is bloated software.

by Anonymousreply 2709/11/2013

iTones is the good.

by Anonymousreply 2809/11/2013

Great ad for the iPhone 5S and 5C!

by Anonymousreply 2909/11/2013

Who knows...they may find a brilliant person to innovate further. They may not.

I think it takes time.

by Anonymousreply 3009/11/2013

For those considering an upgrade, the Galaxy Note 3 runs circles around the iPhone, and it's packed with incredible features. As someone mentioned earlier, it premieres next month in the US.

by Anonymousreply 3109/11/2013

See this is were it's confusing. Have your own phone and At&T offers $50 a month unlimited. Get the "free" iPhone and the bill is $80 a month. Not so free after all.

by Anonymousreply 3209/11/2013

"Apple’s worldwide market share is now 8.9%, behind Samsung at 27.5 percent and Nokia at 14.8 percent. Apple is the market leader in the USA, with a 35 percent market share, but worldwide competes with both low-cost smartphones and featurephones."

Those figures are as of 1st quarter 2013.

The 5c is a very calculated push into the Asian markets, which have the most potential for explosive growth of the global pie. It needs to hustle, though. Android phones like Samsung and Nokia are eating its lunch.

by Anonymousreply 3309/11/2013

[quote]A great affordable Android phone is the Nexus 4... It has great specs, too.

Except LTE.

by Anonymousreply 3409/11/2013

I like the Nokia line of phones better, personally. I have a 920, but am drooling over the 1020's amazing camera (which utterly blows away the 5s camera).

There are a few interesting aspects to the 5s... the new cpu and graphics chips are really pushing the boundaries. That's a good thing. And a better camera has long been needed (but I still hate the placement... too easy to get a finger in the picture, imho).

I think the new phones are uniformly ugly though, and mostly consist of "catch up" features borrowed from Windows Phone and Android. The hardware innovation is nice, but the software innovation is somewhat lacking, imho.

Makes me sort of glad I abandoned iPhones last year and jumped on to the Nokia train. I like having a phone that feels fresh and new and solid and not fragile and completely different... yet uses standard cables and plugs that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for. And wireless charging is nice too.

by Anonymousreply 3509/11/2013

The "S" stands for Sensor, what a bunch of stupid bitches who made that commercial.

by Anonymousreply 3609/11/2013

Yeah, but Android phones are ridiculously difficult to use.

by Anonymousreply 3709/11/2013

Only if you're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 3809/11/2013

No love for the windows phone?

by Anonymousreply 3909/11/2013

As an android user who has always liked the iPhone (though not for myself) it really struck me how this and other flame wars are just like the arguments "climate deniers" have: not only does brand loyalty/lifestyle some first, it basically dooms people to a particular affiliation. Despite the tech/spec talk above, no one is actually considering the other side, it's all just a mask so people can trot out the same old garbage.

by Anonymousreply 4009/11/2013

R8 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 4109/11/2013

I live my iPhone 4s. I never did the IOS upgrade so I still have the old iTunes.

I don't want a new iPhone,

by Anonymousreply 4209/11/2013

[quote]Can you put iTunes on a non apple phone?

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 4309/11/2013

Can songs purchased from Apple in your iTunes libraries be moved to amazon cloud player?

by Anonymousreply 4409/11/2013

R39, I'd like to introduce you to R35 :-)

And while you can't put iTunes on a non-Apple phone, you can put Xbox Music on any phone (iOS, Android, and of course Windows Phone) as well as access it from any website.

R44, if you BUY the song, so you have an unprotected AAC file, I believe you can match it. I don't know for sure, because I never bought anything from iTunes even for the years I had an iPhone. I bought from either Microsoft (Zune at the time, or Xbox Music now) or Amazon, because I wanted industry standard MP3s across the board. They work with everything. All my other MP3s (whether ripped, or purchased) matched with Amazon just fine.

by Anonymousreply 4509/11/2013

As someone who has an iPhone 5, I can say - I'm over it, and over Apple iphones in general. I've had an iphone for years - 3GS, 4 and now the 5.

With all the new phones on the market today, I don't see what the big deal about the iphone is anymore. The screens are so small compared to other smartphones. I think when my next upgrade comes around I am switching to Samsung.

The cheaper new model comes in all these colors. It just reminds me of when they did the colors for the ipod. Nothing really new about that concept.

Apple should make the screens bigger - if they don't I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 4609/11/2013

[quote]The screens are so small compared to other smartphones.

That's why I'm switching to a 4s. I can't stand carrying around the big giant smartphones.

by Anonymousreply 4709/11/2013

R46, there are reports of Apple testing a larger screen for the iPhone 6 next year, if you want to hold out for that.

Am I the only one that finds the stupid 'cases' for the plastic 5c iPhones to be not just stupid (the plastic phone doesn't NEED a case), but UGLY AS HELL? And downright creepy too. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 4809/11/2013

R45, I was able to import all of my DRM-free songs over to my Lumia using its software on my mac.

I followed iPhone from the first iteration until 4. I broke four screens and started getting a ton of dropped calls. The Lumia has held up and I don't have to plug it in - you lay it on a cradle to charge.

I am interested in the promises of longer battery life. I can't get more than ten hours out of a phone between charges.

by Anonymousreply 4909/11/2013

R49, you must use your phone a LOT :-)

Be sure to turn off any features you don't actively use, like Bluetooth.

by Anonymousreply 5009/11/2013

I switched to a Nexus 4 after my iPhone 5 was stolen. The LTE issue wasn't a dealbreaker for me, and I think it's a great phone. The bigger, wider screen is great and iPhones seem too small when I use them now. The pure android works very similarly to ios.

I do miss the music player on the iPhone, and am slowly going through the music players available for android to find one that's as simple and user friendly.

I bought a cheap WP8 phone while waiting for the insurance on my iPhone. I quite like the interface - I think it's the classiest of the lot - but the lack of apps was a major deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 5109/11/2013

R48, I don't get an upgrade for about 9 more months, so I can wait for the 6. But seriously, if it's not a big screen like Samsung I doubt I will get it.

And you're right - those new cases are so ugly. They look like calculators from a distance with all those holes. Fortunately there are designer cases that are not made by apple but so much nicer.

R47 I thought that way when I had the 3GS. But that was a good 4 years ago. I'm approaching my late 30's and have really gotten far-sighted over the past few years. I have to zoom in on everything when looking at my iphone IN ADDITION to no having to wear glasses.

I'm beginning to get headaches from even looking at the phone - seriously. I'm not using it as much because of it.

by Anonymousreply 5209/11/2013

I'm purchasing a couple of iPhone 5S for Christmas. The Gold, fingerprint scanning, and advance camera is pretty cool. Getting the iPhone 5C for the nephew and niece.

by Anonymousreply 5509/11/2013

[quote]Can songs purchased from Apple in your iTunes libraries be moved to amazon cloud player?

Yes...even CDs you have bought awhile back on Amazon, shows up in your Amazon Cloud Player.

by Anonymousreply 5609/11/2013

Nokia is coming out with a huge 1520 Lumia phone... huge 1920x1080 screen with superior camera. Should be great for those who love huge phones.

by Anonymousreply 5709/11/2013

[quote]Am I the only one that finds the stupid 'cases' for the plastic 5c iPhones to be not just stupid (the plastic phone doesn't NEED a case), but UGLY AS HELL? And downright creepy too. Ick.

You're creepy enough to think that.

by Anonymousreply 5809/11/2013

R58, that comment makes no sense.

But try this: Google "trypophobia". And look at the image search. I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 5909/11/2013

Whatever, r59

by Anonymousreply 6009/11/2013

[quote]Nokia is coming out with a huge 1520 Lumia phone... huge 1920x1080 screen with superior camera. Should be great for those who love huge phones.

Why not just get an iPad?

by Anonymousreply 6109/11/2013

Because there's a huge gulf in size between something the size of a very large Phone, and a tablet like an iPad. You also can't make calls on an iPad/tablet.

There's a market for the in-between "phablet" form factor. It ain't me, but a lot of people like them and use them.

by Anonymousreply 6209/11/2013

You can do FaceTime on the iPad.

by Anonymousreply 6309/11/2013

R62. there is a market. Ideally the ipad mini with a built in phone would be fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 6409/11/2013

iPhlop!

by Anonymousreply 6509/11/2013

My employer forces iPhones on us. Completely unintuitive and dated crap, swallowed by the masses as "great" the way bad tv shows are. For my own personal use, I bought the Nokia Lumia 925; it kicks the iPhone's ass. Honestly, when I look around and see people willingly using that tired iPhone, I see a bunch of consumers who think they know what's best but really. . .don't.

by Anonymousreply 6609/11/2013

[quote]there is a market. Ideally the ipad mini with a built in phone would be fabulous!

... or maybe "phabulous"?

by Anonymousreply 6709/11/2013

I actually am missing my old Blackberry Bold, which I had about 5 years ago - prior to getting the iphone. I miss the keypad, the screen not so much. But it was so easy to type out emails on that thing (I used it for work mostly). I don't think it even had auto correct (which I HATE sometimes) and there were less typos because it didn't have the touch screen.

Does anyone use blackberry's anymore? I haven't seen anyone with one in ages.

by Anonymousreply 6809/11/2013

R68, that reminds me of one of the best advantages I've noticed (out of many) since I switched from iPhone to Lumia: The keyboard is WAY nicer, and I have one tenth the number of "auto-correct fails" as before. The predictive typing also saves me a lot of keystrokes, and it doesn't take three taps to type a "#" sign. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 6909/11/2013

[quote]With all the new phones on the market today, I don't see what the big deal about the iphone is anymore. The screens are so small compared to other smartphones. I think when my next upgrade comes around I am switching to Samsung.

I don't think even Apple claims that their phones are a "big deal" compared to the other phones on the market. There are differences,and you have to compare phones with what's best for you in mind.

I did that last time. I liked the biggers screens of the Samsung and HTC phones, but the Samsung was not very bright and both phones had a noticeable color cast compared to the iPhone whose screen offers a smaller but better quality video image. In the end, I decided comfort in my hand was more important to me than screen size because I don't really use my phone for gaming or watching videos.

Most important to me were the comparisons of build quality. In online tests the iPhone beat the Samsung clearly in every category of dropping, tossing and submerging the phone. In fact, the testers had difficulty breaking the iPhone 5 at all.

The iPhone had a better camera.

I also preferred the iPhone's design. I got it in black so it looks like a slab.

The new iPhone 5s has some very nice camera enhancements and the internal guts are much faster than any other phone which is important to gamers. I'd love the fingerprint unlock, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year. So I'll see what's available then.

it makes no sense to mock Apple for not re-inventing the iPhone 5. They never do with the second-year modifications. Just internal improvements. It's also strange to complain that there's no stunning innovation. The smartphone is a mature product form. We should not expect startling innovation from anyone. Just incremental improvements.

by Anonymousreply 7209/11/2013

The Nokias are nice, but too many apps are just not available for the Microsoft OS. I fear they never will be. At best they will always be behind Apple and Android.

by Anonymousreply 7309/11/2013

Curious--What is it that people fear the NSA is going to do with their fingerprints?

by Anonymousreply 7409/11/2013

In the wake of yesterday's announcement of Apple's me-too iPhone 5c, Nokia has come out swinging. Which makes sense: The iPhone 5c is clearly a rip-off of the design of the Nokia Lumia 520, 521 and 620. And the iPhone 5s, Nokia says, still falls short.

Nokia highlights the following ways in which Apple just lags behind.

[bold]Polycarbonate.[/bold] Apple's "unapologetically plastic" iPhone 5C uses a "polycarbonate exterior to the iPhone 5C, something Nokia has featured in the design of its Lumia devices for the past two years." A one-time trendsetter with the first iPhone, Apple is now copying others' designs — "Clearly, imitation is the best form of flattery," as Nokia notes — while ignoring useful technologies that users need, like Qi wireless charging and, to a lesser degree, NFC.

[bold]Screen resolution.[/bold] The small 4-inch screen on Apple's flagship iPhone 5S offers a resolution of just 1136 x 640. Nokia's flagships, the Lumia 920 & 1020, both provide a sharper, better and bigger 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ display of 1280 x 768. Yes, that's a higher "retina" pixel-density than the iPhone.

[bold]Camera.[/bold] While tech bloggers have conveniently forgotten that Nokia owns this category, Apple is crowing about a camera that is yesterday's news. It includes optical image stabilization — "a longtime feature on Nokia Lumia flagship smartphones," as Nokia notes — and the camera and video specs on the new iPhone 5S continue to lag. "To be specific, the Nokia Lumia 1020 features the best camera technology ever seen in a smartphone including a 41 megapixel sensor, Nokia's innovative PureView technology and six optical lenses by the renowned imaging experts at ZEISS, all coming together to produce the sharpest images of any digital camera on the market and amazing photos, even in low light." It's not game over. There's no game. Apple is not even remotely competing.

[bold]Value.[/bold] Given Apple's steadily falling market share and the importance of low-end devices, many had hoped and expected that Apple would price its low-cost offering, the iPhone 5C, in the $300 range. Nope: It starts at an astonishingly high $550 without a contract. Nokia, meanwhile, has two incredible sub-$150 offerings, the $99 Lumia 520 and the $149 Lumia 521 (both off-contract prices). Further troubling is that most news reports about the iPhone 5C tout its "low price" of $99, which is actually its two-year contract price only. And "Nokia is bringing the latest smartphone innovation to consumers at a price they can afford: the Lumia 925, available from AT&T for just $99 with a contract, or just $30 down on T-Mobile."

I like what Nokia is doing, messaging-wise. But this doesn't go far enough...

The iPhone 5C is outright design theft, minus the utility of being able to remove the color back and replace it with either a different color back or, in some cases, a different color back that also adds additional capabilities like wireless charging; these are features offered by various Lumia handsets.

I've seen the usual Apple toadies online claiming that Apple's previous release of color iPods somehow means that the iPhone 5C is a natural transition. It's not. Those designs — like the iPod nano — were metal, not polycarbonate. More to the point, they weren't so clearly Lumia ripoffs.

As can be seen clearly here:

by Anonymousreply 7509/11/2013

That was a pretty pathetic message from Microsoft/Nokia. It makes them sound weak. Oh wait . . They are weak.

by Anonymousreply 7609/11/2013

[quote]The iPhone 5C is outright design theft, minus the utility of being able to remove the color back and replace it with either a different color back or, in some cases, a different color back that also adds additional capabilities like wireless charging; these are features offered by various Lumia handsets.

The iPhone 5c is literally the iPhone 5 in a plastic/metal case instead of an all metal case. How is that design theft from Nokia? Do they own a patent on colors?

by Anonymousreply 7809/11/2013

Ah, no...Every company has ripped-off from Apple.

by Anonymousreply 7909/11/2013

There is nothing "stolen" from Nokia. If Nokia wants to compete on the merits and say our product is better than Apple's that is legitimate competition. To claim Apple is ripping off their innovations is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 8009/11/2013

[quote] The iPhone 5C is outright design theft

So sue them, why don't you?

by Anonymousreply 8109/11/2013

R80, go back and look at the pic linked in R75 and say that again with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 8209/11/2013

[quote]crowing about features Nokia has had for a year or more

Like what? A camera? A display screen? A plastic case? As I said above, if Nokia wants to say "our screen is better," go for it. To claim that they were somehow "first" with a camera, display screen or plastic body is incorrect and pointless. It sounds whiny to me.

Consumers are not idiots. If camera quality is of paramount importance to them, they can figure out that the Nokia built around a camera has a better camera at the cost of bulk. Smart phones are not a list of features that can be measured in isolation. They are packages with trade-offs. A better battery or a bigger screen? A better camera or lighter weight? People will look at the whole package and see what suits them best. For most people, the availability of Apps is going to rank pretty high on the list and who had colored plastic first pretty low.

As I said above, I like the Nokia phones. But they are Windows phones. Windows has a lot of catching up to do

by Anonymousreply 8309/11/2013

Why don't you look at this picture and tell me with a straight face that Nokia owns colors?

by Anonymousreply 8409/11/2013

When was the last time someone walked into a phone store and said, "the camera is of paramount importance. I simply must have the most pixels."

by Anonymousreply 8509/11/2013

[quote]Like what? A camera? A display screen? A plastic case?

Are you reading-comprehension challenged, or did you just not read because you were too busy jerking your knee.

Thinks like 'image stabilization' in the camera. Polycarbonate shells with colors (interestingly, nearly the SAME color selection, just slightly more muted).

They aren't saying they were first with a camera, moron (you suck even at strawman arguments), they're saying they were first with specific features (again, like image stabilization) that they are crowing about.

[quote]But they are Windows phones. Windows has a lot of catching up to do

Which explains, I guess, why the last couple of iPhone and iOS iterations have been busy catching up with Windows Phone (and android)... adding twitter & facebook integration, image stabilization, access to the camera from the home screen, a new 'flatter' look without skeuomorphism, burst mode photography, better low-light performance, etc...

by Anonymousreply 8609/11/2013

[bold]Apple Missed the Best Use for a Fingerprint Scanner[/bold]

The iPhone has a fingerprint scanner now. Great. It will make your iPhone more convenient (or a pain in the ass) to unlock. But unlocking is sort of beside the point when it comes theft. The truth is, Apple didn't give the iPhone 5S the one feature that could actually help get a stolen phone back—one that goes perfectly with a fingerprint scanner.

What is it? Requiring a fingerprint scan—or even a passcode scan—to turn the iPhone off. Why? It's the one thing that will actually help get your iPhone back.

It's so, so simple. Every cop or theft victim or, frankly, person with a functioning human brain, knows that the first thing any iPhone thief does now is turn the phone off, so that you can't track down the phone with Find My iPhone. Because if they don't, the cops show up. By making turn off a secure function, your phone would be trackable for as long as the battery holds out.

It's crazy that a feature like this hasn't been put into place already, right? Even just with the passcode? So much effort has gone into features like Find My iPhone and Windows Phone's Find My Phone and Android Device Manager, and yet you skirt around them just by turning off the damn phone. It would be like a car company making a car alarm that calls the police and sends images of the face in the driver's seat to the owner of the car, but which can be disabled by pressing a button on the dashboard.

Yes, you potentially leave your information exposed if your phone is on. But not if you have a lockscreen enabled. And even if you don't, thieves aren't after your old emails. They just want the hardware.

And there's no downside here! There has never been a time when you have had to power your phone all the way off (which you probably do verrrrrry rarely anyway) and just COULD NOT TAKE THE TIME to punch in a code or scan your finger. It's a nominal additional step to a infrequent use. And the payoff is you have a much better chance of getting your phone back if it goes missing.

Will there still be ways to disable the phone and wipe it even with a secure-off feature? Of course. There always will be. But selling fingerprint scanning as an anti-theft measure is laughable if you're not going to put in the very simplest theft deterrent, which it should be said could be done without a gimmicky new scanner.

by Anonymousreply 8709/11/2013

The iPhone 5 already had image stabilization. The 5s is enhancing it. The iPhone 3G had a polycarbonate shell in 2008.

I will grant you that Apple followed Nokia's startling choice of the colors red, yellow, blue and green. I don't recommend making a marketing campaign on this, however.

by Anonymousreply 8809/11/2013

[quote]I don't recommend making a marketing campaign on this, however.

I mean really, who is going to buy a yellow or green phone?

by Anonymousreply 8909/11/2013

Wait -- if your iPhone has a password and a thief turns the phone off as soon as he steals it, how can he turn the phone back on without the password?

by Anonymousreply 9009/11/2013

Kids.

by Anonymousreply 9109/11/2013

The 6 needs to have a 3D holographic penis scanner for Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 9209/11/2013

[quote]I mean really, who is going to buy a yellow or green phone?

Mainly kid and teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 9309/11/2013

OMG, r94.

by Anonymousreply 9509/11/2013

I doubt many teenagers would be interested in green phones R93. Tweens, maybe, but not teenagers.

The tweens I know that do have iphones usually have their parents old iphone that gets handed down to them when their parents become eligible for an upgrade. I can't say I've seen many tweens/kids with brand spanking new iPhones. I am sure they exist, but it's certainly not the norm.

by Anonymousreply 9609/11/2013

[quote]I can't say I've seen many tweens/kids with brand spanking new iPhones. I am sure they exist, but it's certainly not the norm.

My brother asked me to contribute to buy my 12-year-old niece an iPod Touch for her birthday. I later learned she also got an iPhone 5 and the iPod Touch was for the 7 weeks she will be at camp where she is not allowed to have a cell phone.

by Anonymousreply 9709/11/2013

R53, Can you elaborate more about curtailing NSA like intrusions? I think all the 5s hidden improvements like 64 bit architecture, have been somewhat lost because the visual wow factor isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 9809/11/2013

R97 My cousin who is 15 got the iphone 5 for Christmas - ONLY because she was eligible for an upgrade. Her sister who was 17 at the time was not allowed the iphone 5 because she wasn't eligible for the upgrade just yet.

My 15 year old cousin who got the upgrade got the black phone because it looked sleek and cool - I doubt she would ever go for a bright colored phone.

When they were younger (tween-aged) they did have phones - but they always only had "hand me down" phones that were passed down from their parents.

They are "spoiled" in every way, but even my aunt and uncle wouldn't be getting them the newest phone when they were younger.

by Anonymousreply 9909/11/2013

My cock is getting hard.

by Anonymousreply 10009/11/2013

"Better" depends on what the consumer needs. Otherwise it is pretty meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 10209/11/2013

[quote] I mean really, who is going to buy a yellow or green phone?

Asian girls

by Anonymousreply 10309/11/2013

My 14 year old son has had an iPhone 5 since it came out. I have a 4s. I like my 4s and don't want an iPhone 5, so I'm not jealous or anything.

He sold his iPhone 3 and iPhone 4s on eBay. Sold his old iPod touch, too. He always sells his old stuff to put money towards an upgrade.

by Anonymousreply 10409/11/2013

[quote]A great affordable Android phone is the Nexus 4. It is on sale at Google Play online. I think it is $50 off so it should be $325 unlocked. That is a great deal. It has great specs too

And a lousy thermodynamic design, which prevents the specs from being used. The phone overheats easily leading to a throttling of the gpu to non-existant performance levels before the Nexus shuts itself off. No wonder this turd is being sold off at fire sale prices now. Battery life is also poor.

There are some decent alternatives to the iPhones around. This isn't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 10509/12/2013

The new 5S is so underwhelming! Damn. I think I'll just stick with my iPhone 5. I'm happy with it. I refuse to spend money on a new phone when there's basically no difference between 5 and 5S.

by Anonymousreply 10609/12/2013

[quote]But try this: Google "trypophobia". And look at the image search. I dare you.

OMG I fucking hate you you are an evil fucking cunt and I hope you die in a fire you fucking goddamn cunt

by Anonymousreply 10709/12/2013

R105,

I guess you are an Apple fan boy. My Nexus 4 has never heated up in the way you describe. I have never read about this issue and people I know who has the Nexus 4 have not had this overheating issue. Such lies.

It is being discounted now because the Nexus 5 is coming out next month. And the discounted Nexus 4 is pretty much sold out.

by Anonymousreply 10809/12/2013

R90, all they have to do is erase the whole phone.

I had my iPhone stolen this summer. It never showed up on Find my phone.

Phone companies could disable it by IMEI number and not allow it to be reconnected but they make more money selling you a new phone than disabling stolen phones.

by Anonymousreply 10909/12/2013

[quote]He sold his iPhone 3 and iPhone 4s on eBay. Sold his old iPod touch, too. He always sells his old stuff to put money towards an upgrade.

He's thinking smart.

by Anonymousreply 11009/12/2013

[quote][R90], all they have to do is erase the whole phone.

You can't erase it without the password.

by Anonymousreply 11109/12/2013

I love my Lumia. Nokia phones are quite beautiful, and their exclusive apps (like maps and camera software) are probably the best on the market.

But, now that Microsoft has pretty much purchased Nokia, I have no faith in MS abilities to continue any innovation. They will drop the ball.

WP8 is good, but it was only Nokia who worked on it to make it better for lumia users; nothing to do with MS.

Fuck Stephen 'Trojan' Elop

by Anonymousreply 11209/12/2013

[quote]Am I the only one that finds the stupid 'cases' for the plastic 5c iPhones to be not just stupid (the plastic phone doesn't NEED a case), but UGLY AS HELL? And downright creepy too. Ick.

They are creepy. They look like chicken pox or measles. I have a fear of holes.

by Anonymousreply 11309/12/2013

I've been an all-Apple all the time user for about a year now, (laptop, ipad, iphone - not really an Apple devotee, it just seemed to happen that way one device at a time) though I was tempted by the Lumia. But if the shift to Microsoft will really affect it that much, maybe I'll stick with my iphone 5 and hope that by 6 or 7 some more interesting stuff will be released.

by Anonymousreply 11409/12/2013

[quote]But, now that Microsoft has pretty much purchased Nokia, I have no faith in MS abilities to continue any innovation. They will drop the ball.

You realize all the same people will be involved, right?

If anything, this will speed innovation and updates, because it will break down the walls.

Balmer ain't going to be in charge any more, remember.

by Anonymousreply 11509/12/2013

R108, I guess you couldn't be bothered to check properly before venting your spleen. Such stupidity and ignorance!

It is all over the net and has been since it launched. You are the very last to know. It is being dumped because LG sucks at making phones. I wouldn't get too excited about the Nexus 5, either, as it looks like LG is having another go.

by Anonymousreply 11609/12/2013

I've had the iPhone since the first generation. For the first time I looked at the Nokia Lumia 1020. I'm intrigued. The only thing keeping me away is the software. Windows phone is way behind and has no apps. I've invested a lot of money in the Apple iphone ecosystem.

Android and their phones are hideous and total shit. Not worth even looking at. Android is for flyovers wearing phones on their belts.

But I am definitely intrigued by Nokia's hardware. The iPhone 5 is a big meh, 5s even bigger meh. Hopefully iOS 7 will change up things but I'm skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 11709/12/2013

[quote]Windows phone is way behind and has no apps.

This is a [italic]gross[/italic] over-statement.

It has most of the apps you want or need, either 1st party or 3rd party. And Windows Phone is not "way behind" in most ways, and in fact, iOS and Android have been chasing it in some ways.

The fact that you've invested so much in the iOS ecosystem though is a real issue. It's called "lock-in" and it's pretty much by design. For paid apps, you'll have to buy them all over again if you still want them. For free apps, it's less of an issue, but you'll lose any locally stored data ("history").

More and more apps are arriving every day. Perhaps you should check back when Windows 8.1 is released early next year. I imagine the things that concern you the most will be far better then.

by Anonymousreply 11809/12/2013

If you see an app that you like that isn't available for Nokia phones, but you're interested in a Nokia phone potentially... contact the app authors and request a WP8 version for Lumia phones.

If there's enough demand expressed, they'll appear. It's really that simple. Express your interest where it can do the most good.

by Anonymousreply 11909/12/2013

R1/R4/R45/R48/R50/R54/R57/R59/R62/R67/R69/R71/R75/R77/R82/R86/R87/R118/R119,

Does MicroSoft pay per post or are you on salary?

by Anonymousreply 12009/12/2013

Neither, R120. Just confronting some bias, misinformation, and ignorance with information. I use the platform, so I post about it. Just like iPhone users post about THEIR stuff because its' what they know. Do you accuse THEM of being paid shills? Gee, I wonder why not.

by Anonymousreply 12109/12/2013

Apparently R121 doesn't understand the concept of conversation.

by Anonymousreply 12209/12/2013

[quote] The new 5S is so underwhelming! Damn. I think I'll just stick with my iPhone 5. I'm happy with it. I refuse to spend money on a new phone when there's basically no difference between 5 and 5S.

They didn't make it for you. They made it for someone with a 4 or 4s who is coming up to their contract upgrade. The 5s makes the 4s and the 5 cheaper, so a person with an old 4 might buy the 4s and the person with the 4s might buy the 5 at reduced prices. Someone whose old flip phone just died might say, "Well, it's time I get a smartphone. Maybe I'll get the iPhone 4 for ninety nine cents or iPhone 4s for ninety nine dollars."

Apple keeps making new iPhones because that's how they reduce the price of the old ones.

by Anonymousreply 12309/12/2013

R121, has anyone else posted as much as you on the cellphone threads?

by Anonymousreply 12409/12/2013

R124, nobody likes a troll-dar troll.

But I post because I think it's an under-appreciated phone/OS. There are a lot of misconceptions as well. The fact is, I like it a lot, and friends who have used it liked it as well. It's not for everybody, but no phone is.

I also like competition. WP8 has pushed both iOS and Android (and associated hardware) to be better. Just as those two are pushing WP8/Lumia to be better.

Not sure why you have a problem with this.

by Anonymousreply 12509/12/2013

[quote]The new 5S is so underwhelming! Damn. I think I'll just stick with my iPhone 5. I'm happy with it. I refuse to spend money on a new phone when there's basically no difference between 5 and 5S.

When has an interim "S" version ever blown away its predecessor? Most people with the iPhone 5 are not eligible for an upgrade until the 6 is released. The 5s is not meant to lure people who already own a 5.

by Anonymousreply 12609/12/2013

[quote]If you see an app that you like that isn't available for Nokia phones, but you're interested in a Nokia phone potentially... contact the app authors and request a WP8 version for Lumia phones.

Dream on. The only people who are going to contact developers to beg for W8 versions of aps are the people stuck with W8. That's the problem with being late to the party. Unless you blow the existing standards completely away, it's a long, hard, and probably futile effort to catch up.

by Anonymousreply 12709/12/2013

Can we have an example of how WP8 has pushed Apple and Google to be better?

by Anonymousreply 12809/12/2013

R128: iOS removed Skeuomorphism, improved typography, added access to the camera directly from the lock screen, integrated twitter, improved it's camera/camera-app, etc.

Android drove it to add notification center, the settings dashboard, etc.

If you get outside of your Apple bubble, there's a lot of cool stuff going on in other platforms. Both iOS6 and 7 have been mostly about iOS "catching up" to what was already possible on other platforms.

And of course, the reverse is true as well: Apple pushes both WP and Android to be better.

This is why competition is good.

The reason I think WP is important is because unlike Android (which basically started out as a copy of iOS, and still is more a "me too" UI/OS than anything else, even though it surpasses iOS in features by light-years), WP is a fresh and original take, not following directly in Apple's foot-steps, at least in terms of most of the UI. WP also exists in a nice middle-ground between the "wild-west anything-goes" of Android, and the "rigid controlled walled garden" of iOS.

There's room for three, and all three will drive each to be even better.

God knows, WP is busy trying to copy Siri and Google Now as we speak... :-)

by Anonymousreply 12909/12/2013

For the record, here's some of the fun new graphical and functional improvements in iOS that you might not be immediately aware of:

[bold]Check Out Ten iOS 7 Features That Will Make Everything Better[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 13009/12/2013

Some people put colorful cases on their iPhones, so it's not so strange that someone may want a green or yellow phone.

My mother's old flip phone was hot pink. When it died, I put her on my phone plan and got her a new flip phone. She complained she couldn't find it in her purse because the phone color was dark. (She carries about 14 lbs of inexplicable crap in her purse). Luckily, I found a pink flip phone cover that fit her phone. Now she has a pink phone again so she can easily find it in her purse.

by Anonymousreply 13109/12/2013

Yes, Android had a control center first. That was a major improvement. What does that have to do with WP8? And getting rid of skeuomorphism is an aesthetic choice, not an improvement. In any case, Android was there first, too.

I have already said there is a lot I like about WP8's design. However, it is simply wrong to say it is driving iOS and Android improvements. And the sad truth is that it does not offer enough to break through the duopoly. It was too late.

by Anonymousreply 13209/12/2013

But, Androids are most difficult to use.

by Anonymousreply 13309/12/2013

[quote] the NSA is known to be matching fingerprints to DNA and using it to create individual-specific toxins to insert in natural gas and electricity supplies to people's house.

Link please, R94.

Good luck with that. Oh yeah, I forgot - it's TOP SECRET, isn't it? A secret that only YOU know.

THIS JUST IN: A tin hat will protect you from the NSA's dna-based electricity toxin thingy.

by Anonymousreply 13409/12/2013

Will the NSA (or any other such entity) be able to demand access Apple's information relating to fingerprints? I know Apple says no one (app developers etc.) will have access to information on their end - but what's to stop the NSA requesting it without our knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 13509/12/2013

I'm fairly confident R94 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 13609/12/2013

is 121 the same asshole who keeps insulting people who hate w8 on the microsoft threads.

by Anonymousreply 13709/12/2013

Most of the big name WP8 apps are there, but where I found it really struggles is with the smaller apps for local businesses and events. For example, our airport has an ios and android app, as does the local movie theater - no WP8 app. When I temporarily switched to a WP8 I found I missed a lot of those smaller, local apps.

I admit the Nexus 4 battery is quite poor, but for the price it's absolutely a strong contender as an iPhone replacement. Nothing else really comes close on the value scale, except for some of the Nokia models if WP8 doesn't worry you. The 5C will cost almost twice as much as the Nexus 4.

I was reading an article that said the C in 5C doesn't stand for 'cheap'. The price difference between the 5S and the 5C isn't that dramatic - it's a surprise they bothered with the 5C at all.

by Anonymousreply 13809/12/2013

I quite like the look of iOS7, and no doubt the new iPhone always looks good. Few droids til now could boast a great design (Sony/HTC).

But Apple is behind the curve now. I also agree somewhat with the rabid poster - WP8 is totally underestimated. All the major apps are there, R138 is correct that some local ones probably are missing, although there are so many apps for movie theatre information. Otherwise, compared to my 2013 Nexus 7, there's nothing the Android can do better (except Instagram, if that's your thing) than my Lumia 920.

The Lumia 520 is the entry level device - $99 AT&T off contract (and the best selling Lumia overall) is pretty good, and it comes with all the software goodies like built-in maps and navigation out of the box, and Nokia music (another underrated service). Doesn't have an overwhelming camera like more expensive models, but for that price, off contract (from the Microsoft store) you can't go wrong.

The iPhone 5C should have been competing at a price point like the Lumia 520 (or $199 max off-contract) to really shake things up.

by Anonymousreply 13909/13/2013

R28 Is iTones the non- union Mexican equivalent?

by Anonymousreply 14009/13/2013

R139, have you tried 6Tag or InPic for InstaGram? They're both full fledged clients, just not "official". And of course, they're both free.

by Anonymousreply 14109/13/2013

[quote]However, it is simply wrong to say it is driving iOS and Android improvements. And the sad truth is that it does not offer enough to break through the duopoly. It was too late.

Neither of those things is true of course, they're just your opinions. Don't confuse opinion with fact.

by Anonymousreply 14209/13/2013

I want a phone with GPS voice navigation where the voice is My Little Pony's Derpy or Pinkie Pie. I don't care about anything else.

by Anonymousreply 14309/13/2013

The story behind the gold iPhone 5s.

by Anonymousreply 14409/13/2013

I have never bought into the apple hype. I only have 2 ipods and that's it.

I am a blackberry user, i just bought the q10 and i love it. I love the keyboard and will never buy 100% touch screen phones.

I don't use a ton of apps. I use my phone mainly for texting, calling and taking some pictures and that's it. I interact with real people otherwise and don't allow the phone to rule my social life.

and i will NEVER give them my fingerprint. fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 14509/13/2013

1) The fingerprint is stored on your phone only.

2) What is it that you think Apple (or anyone else) would do with your fingerprints? Frame you for murder?

by Anonymousreply 14609/13/2013

I love how Apple, despite having a compare phones link on their site, doesn't provide a chart comparison of the iphone 5 and the new iphones(C and S). They do list the iphone 4 for comparison,though. WTF Apple?! Not confident enough improvements to compare the new model to the most recent old one?

by Anonymousreply 14709/13/2013

The iPhone 5 is discontinued. The iPhone 5c is the iPhone 5 with a different case. The iPhone 4 is still available.

by Anonymousreply 14809/13/2013

^ 4s

by Anonymousreply 14909/13/2013

Ah ok. Well now I feel dumb. Thanks for the clarification, r149.

by Anonymousreply 15009/13/2013

R147, it would be like comparing apples to oranges. See what I did there? I'm here all week! Thank you and good night!

by Anonymousreply 15109/13/2013

[bold]When Apple's New iPhone Software Arrives Next Week, It Will Crash a Lot of Apps, Software Tester Says[/bold]

Don't be in a hurry to upgrade to the new iPhone software, iOS 7, when it's released to the public on Wednesday unless you like buggy apps that crash all the time, an app testing company is warning. An enormous number of iPhone app makers are behind the eight ball in getting their apps to work properly with iOS 7, says Matt Johnston, chief marketing officer of uTest, a Massachusetts-based startup that does crowdsourced testing of mobile apps for companies like Google, Amazon, HBO, USA Today.

Among uTest's customers, "90% of iOS apps tested for first time are having trouble," Johnston said. Apps are having performance problems in twice as many areas as they typically do and it's taking developers three or four tries to fix all the things that iOS 7 breaks. And by trouble he means big stuff, like crashing or mis-sized fonts will cut off the text.

iOS 6 apps that use the swipe up function could have big problems. That gesture won't be available to the app with iOS 7. Apple has commandeered swipe-up to bring up its new "Command Center." Apple warned that the change from iOS 6 to iOS 7 is the biggest change in years, but a lot of app developers weren't listening. "I just talked to one large retail player and one large travel player and asked about iOS 7 upgrade plans and they said they didn't think it will that big a deal," he told us.

This is different, and far worse, than the usual iOS upgrade. "When we moved from iOS 4 to 5 to 6, we weren't seeing this kind of spike in both performance issues and UI rendering issues," he says. The app problems won't last long, maybe a few weeks. So if you can hold off from upgrading that long you might be thankful. That's Johnston's personal plan.

"I will not be the first one to upgrade iOS 7," he laughs.

by Anonymousreply 15209/14/2013

my iphone 4 was free 2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 15309/15/2013

I am a flip phone user who will be switching to a smartphone soon.

I totally dig HTC One (far superior design than iPhone), but both of my computers are Macs and there are compatibility issues with HTC (for the record, I also hate the new iTunes design).

Should I get iPhone 5S or 5 as my first smartphone? Will 5 come at a discount? Anyone know these things?

by Anonymousreply 15409/15/2013

Where can I pre-order the iPhone 5s now?

by Anonymousreply 15509/15/2013

Whew, the MS Lumia fanboy had a field day here.

Maybe he's left for a little while to "hack his Zune"...

by Anonymousreply 15609/15/2013

The iPhone 5 is discontinued, I don't think it's available in the Apple Store site. But, I could be wrong, I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 15709/15/2013

Check the Apple Store, r154.

by Anonymousreply 15809/15/2013

Well? Anybody get one today?

by Anonymousreply 15909/20/2013

bumping so someone doesn't start YET ANOTHER thread on this same topic. I mean, it's just a phone.

Wondering if one of the Samsun or Droid phones is going to get its own thread like this...

by Anonymousreply 16009/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.