Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Which is the best film version, the 1956 Don Siegel original or the 1978 Philip Kauffman re-make?

Why was the most recent version with Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman so awful?

Was Kevin McCarthy (Mary McCarthy's brother!) really Montgomery Clift's lover, or just his super-good friend?

by Anonymousreply 3409/14/2013

The 78 version is tops. Veonica Cartwright's final scream!

The 90s one with Meg Tilly has its moments

by Anonymousreply 109/10/2013

Kevin McCarthy was a fucking scumbag who pretended that he didn't even know Monty was gay. He said he had NO idea! Douche.

The Kidman/Craig version must have been a turd of epic proportions. I didn't even know they'd made it.

I liked the Donald Sutherland version.

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2013

Tilly is great in hers. Her final speech at the end "where you gonna go? there is no one like you left!" is chilling. (great actress who left Hollywood too soon.)

BUT 1978 is the winner.

by Anonymousreply 309/10/2013

Veronica Cartwright is one of the all time great screamers.

by Anonymousreply 409/10/2013

I loved that they cast Veronica Cartwright, who gives great hysterical performances, for the second female lead in the 1978, given Carolyn Jones's great brief hysterical performance as the second lead in the original.

by Anonymousreply 509/10/2013

Veronica was the little girl in "The Birds" too

"they covered her, she pushed me away!"

by Anonymousreply 609/10/2013

1978 is tops but the Meg Tilly version comes in second. Freaky!

by Anonymousreply 709/10/2013

The original is such a great movie. The special effects of the pods hatching are surprisingly good for the time, and I always jump when the first pod person opens its eyes and Carolyn Jones sees its hand bleeding and she screams.

It's also kind of heartbreaking, because you get to know and like some of the people who are killed by the pods, like the blonde woman who insists her Uncle Ira has changed.

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2013

Tilly's great scene:

by Anonymousreply 909/10/2013

I love them both but I've been a little obsessed with watching the 1978 version since they've been showing it on cable. For years I avoided it because I was so attached to the original, but it's one of the better movie remakes--a really great cast and some very creepy moments. I love Veronica Cartwright and her over the top hysterics, she's been crying like that since The Birds.

by Anonymousreply 1009/10/2013

I really like the remake. Always been a favorite. That was the year I discovered Brooke Adams in this and DAYS OF HEAVEN. Cartwright was a scream too.

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

Let's not forget Cartwright's screaming in "Alien" as well.

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

In this case the remake was better, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2013

The 50's film is pure anti-Communist paranoia but it's very effective.

But the 1978 version directed by Philip Kaufman is definitely better - it gets under your skin right away and the suspense is just keeps building non-stop. Plus it has the best overall cast of all the versions.

The '93 version is cleverly set on a military base (where everyone is already so formal and unemotional, it's hard to tell human from alien), but the director doesn't really do that much with it and, aside from Tilly, the cast is second-rate. The lead actress - Gabrielle Anwar (now in BURN NOTICE) is a bore.

I only saw a short bit of the Kidman/Craig version and it looked like a total mess.

by Anonymousreply 1409/10/2013

The 1978 version is a terrific suspense film, IMHO a genuine classic. It's also a film that's aged remarkably well, except for Donald Sutherland's hair. Highly recommended.

The original film is so clumsily made it really suffers by comparison. Seriously, this is why I'm okay with remakes in principle, it's possible to take a film with some good points, and remake it into something fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2013

I think the 50s version is still the best. The allegorical overtones are the most powerful. The image of the entire town chasing Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter up that staircase and into the hills is unforgettable, and there are spectacular sequences in the film: McCarthy and Wynter hiding in the tunnel under the planks everyone is running over; the scene with McCarthy's friend Wilma on the swing in her lawn insisting her uncle isn't really her uncle anymore; the scene mentioned above with Carolyn Jones freaking out as her husband's pod person comes to life; McCarthy kissing Wynter and realizing she's so cold she must be a pod person; McCarthy shouting at the trucks and cars on the highway in the original ending sequence.

The 70s version is excellent, but it just can't compete--the story just makes much more sense (and is scarier) if it takes place in an isolated small town. Plus the Seventies did not allow for the teasing allegorical ambiguities of the 50s version (which could be suggesting the pod people are either Communists or McCarthyite anti-Communist conformists).

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2013

[quote]The original film is so clumsily made it really suffers by comparison

No, it's very effective, still holds up. And I do love the 70's version.

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2013

[quote]Plus the Seventies did not allow for the teasing allegorical ambiguities of the 50s version

Bullshit - the 70s version does an amazing job flipping this on its head and pointing the finger at the Self Help mumbo-jumbo culture of the 70s as being conforming in its supposed "non conformity"

by Anonymousreply 1809/10/2013

Yes, San Francisco was full of cults then (Jim Jones, est, etc.), so a contrived comparison can be made with the 70s version.

But the original can be subtextualized both ways. The pod people can be seen as pre-Tea Party patriots and their zombie rightwing conformity.

The other one has no subtext.

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 2009/10/2013

Love the first two versions....that last two not so much. I think it's all in the performances of the leads.

Dana Wynter and Brooke Adams are very different, as are Kevin McCarthy and Donald Sutherland - but all of them are very good.

I just have to give a bit of an edge to the 50's version, because I think the story is so much more personal taking place in a small town where everyone knows everyone else.

BUT Veronica Cartwright ALMOST makes up for it.

by Anonymousreply 2109/10/2013

[quote]BUT Veronica Cartwright ALMOST makes up for it.

She had he best scenes. A little bit of Trivia, they were looking for a great screamer for IOTBS, Veronica won the part.

by Anonymousreply 2209/10/2013

The original is my favorite.

But the second one had that chilling accusatory sound Sutherland makes at the end of the film - so hair-raising when I saw it on the big screen and in stereo when I was young that it gave me nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 2309/10/2013

Glad to see some much love for the 1970s version. It's always been a favorite of mine.

by Anonymousreply 2409/10/2013

People are Being Duplicated!!!

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2013

That dog...

by Anonymousreply 2609/11/2013

I once watched a documentary where McCarthy spoke quite openly about Monty's homosexuality, so I think you're overacting a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 2709/11/2013

Because of this thread, I re-watched the 1978 version last night for the first time in years and it holds up very well. What a nice piece of film making by Philip Kaufman. I also realized how much I miss Brooke Adams in movies. She was one of my favorite from the 70s/80s. That ending still gets me.

by Anonymousreply 2809/11/2013

The horrifying man-dog!

by Anonymousreply 2909/11/2013

Ugh, that scene is still a trip R29.

by Anonymousreply 3009/12/2013

Also a nice bit of casting to have Leonard Nimoy play the alien/psychiatrist

by Anonymousreply 3109/12/2013

I think all 3 have strong points and enjoy/own them all. I watched the Kidman/Craig one but honestly don't remember much about it but seem to remember it deviated from the "Body Snatchers" idea/concept in some distinct way...

by Anonymousreply 3209/12/2013

The carton of Foremost milk in the 1978 version really took me back.

by Anonymousreply 3309/14/2013

The Sutherland/Adams version is not a remake. It's a sequel. The first ends with McCarthy on the highway yelling on the highway and the '78 versions starts with Kevin McCarthy jumping on their car. He made it to the city.

by Anonymousreply 3409/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!