Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will there come a time when nobody cares about public figures' sexual orientation?

Tom Daly: I'm not gay.

James Franco: I wish I were gay.

Wentworth Miller: I almost killed myself in the closet.

Corey Booker: It's not fair to young ladies for me to date them.

It's getting kind of boring, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 2109/10/2013

No, because who a public figure is romantically involved with is part of the public interest. There is a whole industry of entertainment journalism tracking the status of celebrities "relationships"

Your sexual orientation is a pretty big visible part of you, that is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

The public will eventually be interested in romantic partners, not necessarily if they're gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2013

[quote]It all starts with you gay boys and all your chatter and accusations concerning every male that looks fuckable is queer.

Since there's gay "chatter" about guys like Bishop Eddie Long, Rush Limbaugh, and Larry Craig, it's obvious that the Jackass at R3 thinks they look fabulous and fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 409/10/2013

R1 is correct. Why is homosexuality supposed to be no big deal but US Weekly and The Star can go on and on about which hetero (or allegedly hetero) stars are dating each other?

by Anonymousreply 509/10/2013

Things have gotten much better, but no it will not go entirely away. Have you noticed, neither racism nor anti-semitism have disappeared- hardly.

by Anonymousreply 609/10/2013

When does US Weekly and The Star emphasize that a couple is hetero? They don't.

In the future they'll continue to talk about romantic relationships. They'll talk about a Greg dating a Phil, but won't go with a "gay" label. In the same way, they'll talk about a Jim dating a Mary and won't announce that they're hetero.

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2013

For some reason, and we gays do this also, everyone believes that we're on Noah's Ark and everybody has to be paired up. There are many, many people who don't feel the need to be in a relationship. There are some who just don't like to discuss their private lives. So, in a world where everyone has to have a partner, people will always question why and speculate on the reasons why.

But let's not make any mistakes here, the sexuality of public figures has an impact on their livelihoods, so you have to be cautious. Matt Bomer said it best when he laid it on the line and said that a lot of people were depending on him to make a living. Coming out publicly has ripple effects.

I think James Franco would say it, if he were gay. Tom Daley has a brand to protect. Wentworth Miller struggled, but at the same point was probably told to stay in the closet - hell Wentworth had to come out as black a few years ago. I don't know if Corey Booker is gay or not, but I get the impression that he prefers a certain type that may not be conducive to attracting a broad coalition of voters.

by Anonymousreply 909/10/2013

Why shouldn't they care? We are sexual beings. Especially when we are young and most people are sexual beings their whole life. It's an important part of us...why do you closet cases insist it's not?

by Anonymousreply 1009/10/2013

There will come a day when nobody cares about public figures' sexual orientation... but today is not that day!

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

When everyone everywhere is 100% fully legally equal maybe

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

I think R8 got it right:

[quote]In the future they'll continue to talk about romantic relationships. They'll talk about a Greg dating a Phil, but won't go with a "gay" label. In the same way, they'll talk about a Jim dating a Mary and won't announce that they're hetero.

In the 70s, people would actually use the phrase " a lady doctor," as in "I think Dr. Reynolds, that lady doctor, is pretty good overall [with the implied, but unstated,'even though she is female']." I think advances in equality go through a period of time when they are a novelty in the cultural awareness. Eventually, when we get used to the reality that a particular quality--such as gender, or sexual orientation--can have *multiple values* (and not just "male" and "straight"), the importance of that value will matter less and less.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2013

"In the same way, they'll talk about a Jim dating a Mary and won't announce that they're hetero."

Stating that a guy is dating a woman is the same thing as saying that they are hetero. They don't have to "announce" it.

"I think James Franco would say it, if he were gay"

No, he wouldn't. Actors who play leading man roles in movies don't come out, there is too much money riding on them. How much money did it cost to produce and promote that Wizard of Oz shit he starred in? Probably at least $200 million.

by Anonymousreply 1409/10/2013

When Wentworth Miller was on Prison break he did articles where he denied being gay.

From 2007 And with the fan’s adoration, so too comes the media speculation, particularly around Miller’s sexuality, but the softly spoken actor was firm when setting the record straight.

“No, I’m not gay,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2013

[quote]Stating that a guy is dating a woman is the same thing as saying that they are hetero. They don't have to "announce" it.

Just as they can talk about Elton John and his husband in a news article and they don't have to "announce" that they are gay.

That's what we're getting at. As marriage equality spreads, they won't be making a big deal about an actor in a gay romance. It will just be a romance. They'll simply post the names to the two people involved in a romance without explaining that they're gay.

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2013

"They'll simply post the names to the two people involved in a romance without explaining that they're gay."

Stating that two guys are in a romance is the same thing as stating that they're gay. Anyway, the media wouldn't do that because they don't report on same sex relationships unless the people involved have already come out. They say they don't believe in "outing"

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2013

[quote]Stating that two guys are in a romance is the same thing as stating that they're gay.

No it isn't. It reveals that they are gay to those who didn't already know, but the news is the relationship. Just like with straight public figures.

by Anonymousreply 1809/10/2013

[quote]Stating that two guys are in a romance is the same thing as stating that they're gay.

Golly, we didn't know that!!!! So glad you pointed that out.

We're talking about "Will there come a time..." when it won't be about them being straight or gay; when it will just be about two people in a romance.

There was a time when the media would report on a white person marrying a black person. You probably can't contemplate how things have evolved since that time way back in the last century. Try to imagine, R17, just for a second, that things will continue to evolve.

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013

"You probably can't contemplate how things have evolved since that time way back in the last century. Try to imagine, R17, just for a second, that things will continue to evolve"

Huh? You're the one who needs to evolve. You obviously didn't understand my post. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 2009/10/2013

[quote]Huh? You're the one who needs to evolve. You obviously didn't understand my post. Get a life.

Your post explained how things are with the media NOW, R20. We know that. Again, you appear unable to contemplate how things can be in the future. Why are you unable to understand what OP wrote in the title of this thread? It's about the future, not about now. Do you need someone to define "future" for you? Think about the words "Will there come a time." Can you manger that? Can you see that it points to the future? Duh! No sense in telling you to get a life, when you're obviously brain-dead.

by Anonymousreply 2109/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.