Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If Obama Doesn't Get His War, It's A Blow To His Presidency

That's what journalists and analysts are saying. Even if nobody wants to go to war, the fact that Obama is putting so much time and effort into getting this, if it results in him getting nothing, it's a blow to his presidency, and will hurt him big time. What the fuck is he thinking??! Republicans who want this thing won't even vote for it because their constituents will kill them. Obama has nothing to gain from starting a war, in fact, it's just the opposite. This looks incredibly bad. I especially don't understand why people like Kerry, or Howard Dean, or even Al Franken are calling for a strike? What do Dean and Franken get out of this?

Obama's media blitz is expected to continue. What a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 6709/11/2013

How is it going to hurt him? He's in his second term.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2013

On top of that, WTF happened to John Kerry's face! Was he stung by a swarm of bees!? Could he possibly had that much juvederm pumped into his face? I've seen corpses who had more animated faces! HUH?

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2013

OP, You're a fucking moron.

Obama masterfully avoided wars and military strikes.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

Don't count your chickens R4. The Russians have no sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2013

this seems a non-issue

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

If we just can get rid of Assad, then Al Qaeda can take over running Syria.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

If anything it breaks up the partisan stalemate that's been going on for the past few years, even if momentarily.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

What the fuck is he thinking?

That if he didn't do what he's doing he'd be the laughingstock of the entire country and seem like the weakest fuck on earth.

I say this as someone who doesn't support a strike on Syria btw. But tht doesn't change the fact that you can bet your ass that if he didn't call for a strike that's exactly what the result would be.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

You Think Obama Wants to Strike Syria? You're Wrong

by Anonymousreply 1009/10/2013

President Obama’s Brilliant Strategy No One Seems To Recognize

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

He first came to my attention (and everybody else's) in 2004. Over the last nine years, I have developed great respect for President Obama's political acumen.

Every time I have second-guessed him or wondered why the hell he was doing this or that when, obviously, he should have been doing thus and so, the President ended up proving that I'm an idiot. He knew exactly what he was doing and he was right all along.

The President is much, Much, MUCH smarter than you and I. I'd forgotten what that was like during our long national nightmare with President GW Bush.

A blow to his presidency? Blow me. That's just another ignorant, wishful thinking, faux-concern talking point for morons. Barack Obama is already an American icon and an American legend. DONE. He accomplished that by the age of 47, which is more than anyone can say for his miserable detractors.

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

I'm an Obama fan myself; but r12's slavish hysterical worshipfulness is embarrassing even to me.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2013

He should indeed hand this one over to Russia or Iran, the natural allies in this case. Creating a strawman of a military attack would inspire them in some cases

by Anonymousreply 1409/10/2013

I agree with r12. There's plenty of shit that Obama's done that I hate, but he's clearly the best president we've had in DECADES. And he had the Herculean task of pulling the U.S. out of the shithole Bush made. Not that we're near fine, but still a great accomplishment.

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2013

R13 is embarrassed by accuracy.

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2013

I'm not embarrassed one bit, R13. I worked on Hillary Clinton's campaign in '08. To me, Senator Barack Obama was a nice guy with a big future and some good political skills who shouldn't have been running for president.

He got my respect and admiration the old fashioned way, R13, he EARNED it. I am sick to death of these bullshit attacks on a guy who is, from every possible angle I can find, a damn good president. He has proven himself to be right with almost annoying frequency.

Agree with him about Syria, don't agree with him about Syria, I don't really give a fuck. My money's on President Obama being proven right in the end. Again.

If you want to talk about slavish fucking hysteria, try the "OMG IT MIGHT BE A BLOW TO HIS PRESIDENCY! EEEEK!" rat-fuck, currently on display.

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2013

Hey girl hey!

by Anonymousreply 1809/10/2013

So what? I voted for him twice (and don't regret it), but he's been a wrongheaded dick about Syria. Fortunately, the world is correcting him.

If it's a blow to his legacy, so what? As long as we don't go to war, I think we all can live with that, including him.

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013

Al Qaeda and the others fighting Assad are enjoying the heck out of this.

by Anonymousreply 2009/10/2013

r11, so true and the added benefit is that nobody is looking as the ObamaCare exchanges go live.

This is smoke and mirrors coupled with slight of hand.

by Anonymousreply 2109/10/2013

A radio host said Assad's face looks like a thumb. Does he have upper teeth?

by Anonymousreply 2309/10/2013

Aren't we like broke? Where is the money for another war?

by Anonymousreply 2409/10/2013

i would like to buy r12 a drink.

feel 100% the same way about potus.

by Anonymousreply 2509/10/2013

[quote]Where is the money for another war?

They could eliminate Social Security, close the National Parks, and raise gas prices to $15 a gallon.

by Anonymousreply 2609/10/2013

Well it appears U.S. military pressure may be bringing about a diplomatic deal brokered by Russia. Kerry just happens to make an off the cuff remark that gets picked up by Putin? Win win for all involved?

by Anonymousreply 2709/10/2013

Indeed. And not so "accidental" as the MSM would have you believe.

by Anonymousreply 2809/10/2013

Sure, OP. Because avoiding a war the voters dont support will totally negate the achievement of HCR.

by Anonymousreply 2909/10/2013

Well played, John Kerry. Well played.

by Anonymousreply 3009/10/2013

Masterfully played by Obama.

by Anonymousreply 3109/10/2013

[quote]The only adult in the big discussion is Putin.

Then why don't you go live in Russia? Oh're gay. Never mind!

by Anonymousreply 3209/10/2013

Masterfully played? Pish-tush. He's absorbed arrogant mediocrity from his banker grandmother and it is start to ooze out of his pores like a clove of garlic.

by Anonymousreply 3309/10/2013

Wow, r33. That is a peculiar kind of hate you've got there.

by Anonymousreply 3409/10/2013

He doesn't want a war, he wants a strike; and even that is just muscle flexing, he wants alignment of other nations to participate in the disposing of Syria's chemical weapons.

What an ill-informed thread title.

by Anonymousreply 3509/10/2013

Regardless of the outcome, Obama looks horrible. He has the drones, Benghazi, this, not to mention the previous wars going on. Whether you think the drones or Benghazi are that scandalous, the average America is just hearing this guy getting wanting to get us into one conflict after another when it comes to foreign policy. This looks like he's after getting us into something else we can't afford, and something no one wants. It makes him look incredibly bad, and foolish. There is no win here. He looks out-of-control and tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 3609/10/2013

Haha R36. As soon as someone brings up Benghazi, their argument is DOA.

Or would you like to discuss the embassy attacks and deaths under Bush?

by Anonymousreply 3709/10/2013

[quote]As soon as someone brings up Benghazi, their argument is DOA.

No. It's public perception. Overall, Americans don't pay attention to jack shit. It's a cumulative effect. People are tired of hearing about that region, and Americans connected to it. Obama's approval ratings are at their lowest ever.

by Anonymousreply 3809/10/2013

R38: Americans, today, get their news from little hives according to their preference. They are either in the Fox/wingnut hive, or they're in the mainstream/liberal hive. In one hive, Benghazi is this huge OMG IMPEACH NOW huge capital offense and it's stunning that Obama hasn't been impeached ten times already. In the other, it is and always has been a heap o' nothing. The latest wingnut talking point, easily swatted down and ignored. Which it has been.

Very few Americans change their hive choice. The mythical Undecided Voter is an increasingly endangered species.

Class dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 3909/10/2013

Thank you, R39, and I love you, R12.

by Anonymousreply 4009/10/2013

[quote]And he had the Herculean task of pulling the U.S. out of the shithole Bush made. Not that we're near fine, but still a great accomplishment.

Yeah but we are still in the shithole Bush made, and a lot of it has to do with Obama's insistence on sticking with the Summers and Geithners. And a lot of perceived ineffectiveness in dealing with this Congress.

He's quickly becoming a symbol of the growing realization that the government doesn't represent the people. War with Syria and giving Wall Street a pass is not the change they voted for. Gay marriage rights and an end to DADT are such change, but that really doesn't affect 90% of Americans.

Some high profile bankster indictments would be a good start for him in terms of public opinion but his administration is getting a bit long in the tooth for reform acts to have much benefit to him. He owns the mess we are in now for most people.

by Anonymousreply 4109/10/2013

Through lying, R43.

by Anonymousreply 4509/10/2013

Congress denied Clinton authorization in Kosovo, and it didn't hurt Clinton's Presidency one bit.

by Anonymousreply 4609/10/2013

[quote]The time to blame Bush has ended. Obama has had five years to fix the economy which should have been his first priority.

It was his top priority. Unfortunately, the GOP's top priority was to sabotage Obama and the Economy. They've been virulently obstructionist in the most unprecedented ways.

Bush is still to blame for those things he caused. And the GOP is still to blame for a lot of things that aren't fixed yet, since they're standing in the way of fixing them.

by Anonymousreply 4809/10/2013

The economy is improving and AHC will help accelerate improvements.

by Anonymousreply 4909/10/2013

And what R48 said.

by Anonymousreply 5009/10/2013

Bush's *minions* are *still* to blame for standing in the way of every conceivable path of progress for the USA.

by Anonymousreply 5109/10/2013

[quote]and 15 million remain unemployed.

No thanks to the Republican Congress which has shot down any jobs bill that came along.

They voted 40 times to end the Affordable Care Act. How many times have they voted on a jobs bill?

by Anonymousreply 5209/10/2013

I third r48.

by Anonymousreply 5409/10/2013

R53 Obama should not have hired Summers and Geitner. He is to blame for that one. The Republicans have been obstructionists, but that's where Obama let the ball slip for those first two years.

Now I know no one wants to hear about how Hillary would have done better, but she would have been on that television every other week hammering the bad news home to everyone and making the Republicans look like fools. Her experience working with Walmart would have also helped GREATLY in terms of starting up new jobs. No one worked an economic recovery like Bill did, and it should be in the history books. He reignited this country like gangbusters. We could have had the same with Hillary right now.

And Hillary is a great, ethical liberal. You would not have had the DINO's and Repub-lights running the show the way they are now.

She would have put their balls in vices. They're scared shitless of her and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 5509/10/2013

These idiots and their Chicken Little routine will fail, just as they've failed time after time after time for the past five years.

It doesn't matter what they do, they've tried every evil goddamn trick they know. They can't take down this president.

He's always five steps ahead of them (and us). I find it a very relaxing quality in a POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 5609/10/2013

Me too, R56.

I can't remember feeling that way before.

by Anonymousreply 5709/10/2013

President Clinton was like that. He was incredibly competent, always thinking, always working (even while getting blown) and obviously smarter than all the Republicans put together. Bill Clinton was very relaxing as POTUS, especially after 12 years of the Reagan/Bush crazytown.

I always thought that's why they were never able to take him down. We all knew he was really good at the job and we could relax. It drove the Republican shit-stains insane but that was just the icing on the cak or graxy, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 5809/10/2013

and it's happening again.

by Anonymousreply 5909/10/2013

OP is an idiot. Obama played tough and delayed until Syria offered to give up chemical weapons. Now if they don't, Congress will give him the authority, the rest of the world will say, well, he did everything he could. And Putin will look weak if Syria doesn't do as its told.

Here's some advice--don't play chess or poker with the Prez.

by Anonymousreply 6009/10/2013

r47, the Great Depression was cured by WW2. This is a different economy. It will take twice as long without manufacturing getting a massive government boost. Oh, wait, that was a stimulus program.

That is why it will take till 2018 to grow out of it. Hillary will be ripe for growth the middle of her first term.

by Anonymousreply 6109/10/2013

She's is certainly more ethical than the Republican liars, hypocrites and cheats!

by Anonymousreply 6409/10/2013

[quote]It doesn't matter what they do, they've tried every evil goddamn trick they know. They can't take down this president.

They *have* taken down this president. Sorry, but things are going from bad to worse. I wish it was not true, because I voted for him (twice) but he is not a strong president in the sense that he handles Congress. Congress handles him.

[quote] He's always five steps ahead of them (and us). I find it a very relaxing quality in a POTUS.

Ugh. The five dimensional chess troll. Idiotic hero worship of someone who is doing a middling job at a time when a heroic job is actually needed isn't attractive. It's no more attractive on our side than when tea party tools do it.

by Anonymousreply 6509/10/2013

Are you sure you didn't vote for him three times, R65? Four?

by Anonymousreply 6609/11/2013

Why devolve into Hilary v. Obama? He's well into his second term and that election is over. Even a big Hilary supporter like me is tired of what would Hilary have done. Enough.

Syria is a quagmire so I don't fault Obama for a muddled policy. It would have been better if he hadn't sent it to Congress though. Just turned it into a bigger mess.

by Anonymousreply 6709/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!