Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cilla Black

I've always heard this singer's name mentioned in the same breath as Lulu and the late, great Dusty Springfield.

How?

I just heard her version of "Anyone Who Had a Heart" and it sounded like a nasal Glee kid braying like a horse.

WTF?

by Anonymousreply 5910/02/2013

Well, she was popular around the same time and covered a lot of songs Dusty did. I always mix her up with Petula Clark.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

I just can't imagine anyone comparing her to Dusty.

Cilla to Dusty is like comparing a Big Mac to Filet Mignon. No contest!

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2013

The only comparison was they were 60s Brit girl singers and big at the same time.

Dusty stands alone from Cilla, Lulu (ugh) and even Sandie.

Petula is the only one near Dusty's league but very different kind of singers.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

Sandie, R5? Was she the one who sang barefoot?

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

Yep r7. And she was the biggest of the lot in terms of chart success.

Famously she held the record for most UK #1s by a female singer in the UK (3) till Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

Cilla is an appalling old trout. She's nasal and whiny when she shouts a song and has never had the range of Dusty, Petula or even Lulu for that matter. She made a career out of being from Liverpool and dropping hints that she was tight with the Beatles (she wasn't).

I've heard that she is desperate to be back on TV but back when she had Blind Date she was a vicious, cunty nightmare to the production assistants - one of whom is now very senior at ITV and won't let her have a show, or even a guest spot, for any reason. Be careful of who you piss on when you're on top, you'll need a favor from them when you're down.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

Cilla, nee Priscilla White, was known as a "Cavern shouter". She sung a spectacular and relatively unknown Lennon and McCartney song called "It's for you", look it up @ youtube. Paul also wrote a lovely song for her, "Step inside love". Say what you will, her version of "Anybody who had a heart" was a MONSTER hit and held records for the biggest selling single for a female in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

Lets not forget our Marianne. Much more important than some of those other forgettable sluts. Such a great career, people forget the early pure stuff.

A whole new thread could go to Françoise Hardy/the Yeh-Yeh girls and 60s Euro divas.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

Speaking of Petula, I found a copy of her French LP with Downtown and I know a place in French. No lip synching here, she belts it out at the Cavern, "A cellar full of noise".

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013

[quote] Say what you will, her version of "Anybody who had a heart" was a MONSTER hit and held records for the biggest selling single for a female in the UK.

I am shocked. It's dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2013

R10, the song is called "Any[bold]one[/bold] Who Had A Heart" -- it wouldn't scan if it were "anybody".

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2013

Cilla in full nasal Scouse onslaught

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013

Hate her.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

"Lets not forget our Marianne. Much more important than some of those other forgettable sluts. Such a great career, people forget the early pure stuff."

Oh, shut up. Marianne Faithfull was a mediocre singer, at best. One critic described her voice as "somnambulistic." And that was BEFORE she ruined what voice she had with decades of drug abuse and heroin addiction. Marianne Faithfull has never possessed anything resembling great talent, although she's achieved some success as a cult figure. Her singing is ghastly but she has a fan base who LIKES her godawful croaking. A cult following.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

Well you can see why she went with the rhinoplasty

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2013

I always preferred Cilla's "Alfie" to Dionne Warwick. However nearly everything else was hard to bear. She would go from quiet to full-bore nasal shouting. The recording session of Alfie is on Youtube with Bacharach and the full orchestra which is pretty interesting to watch.

Dusty was of course miles ahead of all the singers mentioned. I always liked Lulu though. She was a much better bluesy/R&B style singer than the pop schmaltz she was mainly given to sing. She did albums with the Dusty in Memphis producers and the compiled it all into an album called The Atco Sessions. I heard it on Spotify and thought she sang well.

Cilla is well known as being hated by British Airway staff. There was a forum for airline staff that was linked on Popbitch and a topic was worst passenger. Cilla and her entrouage were a popular answer - "Miss Black only sits in seat 1A", "Miss Black only talks to you, you don't talk to her", "Miss Black will have champagne now". Here's one song though that where she managed to rein it in and is quite nice...

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2013

I had a little respect for her until I was told the "c" in her first name was pronounced like an "s."

But I always found her rendition of my song "Alfie" to be bull-chit. To use the Anglicism. Like an old cat with itching from yeast infection gargling.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013

Hang on a minute, r17. Nowhere in that post did I mention singing, I'm talking about the quality of her work in general.

Yeah, so the later croaky stuff is an acquired taste but she's infinitely more interesting in all senses to most of those ordinary pop divas.

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2013

I like Marianne, but she's an acquired taste. It's all persona with her and her life as context. An interesting voice, but agreed, out of the league of many others.

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2013

R19 I'd forgotten about her airline antics. She's hated by her neighbors too, something about growing hedges too high and cutting out everyone's light. When told she had to comply with the law she just ignored it so all the people living in the shadow of her untrimmed bush had at it with a chainsaw.

She's best friends with that other bitter old cunt Clff Richard. He's so far back he's in fucking Narnia.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2013

What's it all about, you heartless fuckers?!

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2013

Alfie, apparently R25

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2013

I prefer Carmen McRae's Alfie.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2013

r24, Cliffie took tentative steps out of Narnia and acknowledged it in a roundabout way, I was surprised to hear. Something about him living with a priest. There are much more unsavoury rumours about him which don't even bear thinking about. Shudder.

There was a story about Cilla Black and Elaine Paige fighting for that 1A seat which both are accustomed to, lol.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2013

R21, how the fuck did you think her name was pronounced? Killa?

LOL, you're n idiot!

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2013

Crud-faced dolt at R29, if you are incapable of understanding, please do not tout your perceptions. It embarrasses you, even if you don't have the smarts to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2013

Well fuck me sideways with a marabou trimmed boudoir mule R28, I would *never* have expected Cliffie to even so much as hint at the possibility that he may not be a rugged, outdoorsy, Jeebus-lovin' strictly-straight-but-celibate rock god.

Please, please, please... can you remember where you read / heard it? Also, the other rumors, if you wouldn't mind. I do so love a bit of insider gossip.

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2013

Christ, Cliff Richard being gay has been a known thing forever.

Even the people in my neighborhood knew it when Xanadu (and "Suddenly") came out, and we lived in the suburbs in flyover country.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2013

Didn't Dionne hate Cilla?

by Anonymousreply 3109/09/2013

The Warwitch hates everyone.

by Anonymousreply 3209/09/2013

R32 we all know Cliff is family, what I said was about him talking about it - he hasn't come out. He is so defensive about it too. He usually doesn't make any reference to his private life at all, do talking about hs 'companion' is new.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2013

She was associated with the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2013

"Miss Warwick", you're about as amusing as the Helen Lawson troll. So please do go fuck your mother.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2013

And she's got Billy Crystal, as though someone ratted up their ball sac hair and lacquered it into a helmet.

by Anonymousreply 3609/09/2013

Who understands the Cathy McGowan phenomenon in the UK at the same time? To me, she looked like Christ Lilley's Jai'me King. But she was hugely popular

by Anonymousreply 3809/09/2013

Jane Asher was no beauty either. She looked much better as a middle aged woman.

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2013

I loved Dusty and quite liked Cilla - they did a duet called "Heart and Soul" - check it out.

by Anonymousreply 4009/10/2013

I love to screech and bray.

by Anonymousreply 4109/10/2013

In every "nastiest celebrity" thread I've ever read (including pprune.org, as mentioned previously), Cilla leads the pack as the cuntiest cunt who ever cunted.

Glad to hear she's being kept off TV.

by Anonymousreply 4309/11/2013

Still married to that slut Lisa Hartman?

by Anonymousreply 4409/11/2013

I only became aware of Cilla when Agnetha Faltskog covered "If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind" for her 2004 album MY COLOURING BOOK. Aside from her heavily-accented pronunciation on some words, Agnetha blows Cilla out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 4509/11/2013

R40 Cathy has been in a relationship with that other confirmed bachelor, the singer and musical theatre star Michael Ball. Think she is about 20 years older than him. There was a fire at their house once and when the firemen arrived Michael apparently was rescued in a different bedroom from Cathy and he was with a guy about 20 years his junior. A castmate staying over apparently. He is clearly gay but the relationship works for them and think they enjoy the companionship.

I remember he was asked with cathy being quite a bit older than him did he regret not being a father. He said he was a stepfather to Cathy's kids which suited him and that he couldn't have kids anyway as his testicles were severed in a parachute accident.

by Anonymousreply 4609/11/2013

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2013

And here is a link to the nasty Cliff rumours.

by Anonymousreply 4809/12/2013

She's a Thatcherite cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4909/12/2013

She told Cybill Shephered that she (Cybill) was a slut.

by Anonymousreply 5010/01/2013

R52 I remember that. They were both on Graham Norton's show and Cybill was talking about her autobiography. Graham focused a lot on the sex in the book and Cybill said she had a healthy attitude to sex and as long as it's safe, enjoy it. She then trotted out her usual line about Elvis loved to eat everything, except one thing. Until he met her. Audience is laughing away and Cilla's sitting there looking like she might suck up the furniture just by sitting on it. Cybill asked her about being in among the Beatles and the swinging 60s and didn't she enjoy the free love and sex with rock stars and Cilla said no as she wasn't easy like Cybill. Cybill took it well. She actually wasn't even being that outrageous. And it was Graham's show, what did Cilla expect? Orlando Bloom later came on and Cybill was all over him like a rash.

After her husband died Cilla did loosen up a bit and unleashed this on an unsuspecting public a couple of years later. She appears at 2:35

by Anonymousreply 5110/02/2013

R47, I love the Almighty remix.

by Anonymousreply 5210/02/2013

^^^ Forgot to include the link

Cilla appears at 2:35

by Anonymousreply 5310/02/2013

She's no Lulu.

by Anonymousreply 5410/02/2013

Champagne for Lulu!

by Anonymousreply 5510/02/2013

Just thought I d support the comments about her being the nastiest piece of work imaginable. There's a thread on one of the English forums about nasty celebs and she tops the list by a mile. It makes it hard to enjoy anything she's sung because you know how horrid she is.

by Anonymousreply 5610/02/2013

That duet with Dusty was awful. The production was Casio keyboard quality.

by Anonymousreply 5710/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.