Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Union Membership Number Has Dropped 9 Points Since 1983

The Right has successfully brainwashed the masses.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2013

I don't know about the Right, but most of the people I know who were in unions (and who no longer are) watched their jobs get exported abroad due to NAFTA.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

...and with it, the general wage of average Americans as well. All while the top 2% are raking in money like never before.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2013

[quote]I don't know about the Right, but most of the people I know who were in unions (and who no longer are) watched their jobs get exported abroad due to NAFTA.

NAFTA = Republicans and Bill Clinton.

People who opt out of unions should have to work weekends, have no sick days, and work in poor working conditions, not to mention take cuts to their paychecks.

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2013

Well.. USA is not alone. We're electing a right wing populist government here in Norway today, which means goodbye to unions!

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

People forget that a lot of their "perks" at work, are due to unions fighting for them: 40 hour weeks; overtime pay; breaks; vacations; sick pay/leave;safety conditions, etc. Do they think employers just up and decided it was the right thing to do? Unions fought tooth and nail to get these things for the average, and the not-so-average, worker. All of that is being lost, and we can lay a big part of it at the feet of Saint Reagan. He convinced the blue collars that it was good to vote for Republicans, and now this is what has been reaped. Thanx to all you rank and file who have consistently voted against your best interests for the last 30 years, and a big part of that has led to the dissolution and weakening of collective bargaining. I hope you're happy?

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2013

R6 = ignorant moron

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

R3, I wasn't aware of who exactly got NAFTA through, but according to what I found on the Internet, plenty of Democrats voted for it (in the Senate 27 did versus 28 who voted against....in the House it was better, 102 vs. 155). It's disheartening to see some of the Dems who voted for it, including Kennedy, Biden, Kerry and Lieberman.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

ALL of them, R5. All that you name and many, many more.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

"People who opt out of unions should have to work weekends, have no sick days, and work in poor working conditions, not to mention take cuts to their paychecks."

That already happens to a lot of workers who don't have the option of even joining a union.

Unfortunately, unions became their own worst enemies, starting out as a force to protect American workers and, in many cases, ending up being nothing more than the other side of the same corrupt coin as Upper Management.

It's too bad since the rationale for strong HONEST unions is as strong now than ever, perhaps more so since corporate America seems hell bent on turning us into Bangladesh.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

This is R5. Why is it OK for every other entity in this country to try and do away with the middle class, but let unions step in and try to help the average Joe, and it's the end of civilization, capitalism, Mom, apple pie and hot lunches for orphans. Banks, corporations, insurance companies,et al., they ALL are interested in the middle class being subjugated and systematically destroyed. Aren't we allowed to fight to maintain OUR way and standard of life? To even begin to equate the pressure that unions have with what TPTB wield, is so disingenuous, that it defies description. At this point in time, it's David and Goliath, and the little guy's sling is broken and he's almost out of rocks. Will the Big Guys not be satisfied until we're back in the feudal system? Read "Who Stole the American Dream", by Hedrick Smith, if you aren't gnashing your teeth now, you will by the time you're halfway through the book.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013

R10, trust me, unions still do plenty. Obama hasn't been much better than Bush to them. I come from a union family who is still in them today. I've seen the shit management still tries to get away with. It's unreal.

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2013

No, It's not, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013

Simple graph showing how Unions influence shared prosperity... without them, all the wealth accumulates in the top 2%:

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

I'm a card carrying member - and I vote.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

I was so excited to join the Union, even celebrated it with my family by taking them all out to dinner, but being out of a job, while they continue to raise my dues has made me regret joining. I should have waited, I should have kept those thousands in fees to myself until I was more stable. My fault.

I'll always support the unions, I just wished they would help me out more. Not their job.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2013

R1 is sadly right ... At least where I work, local jobs go overseas. I am in middle management and don't support it. When all of the people I manage now are out of a job I will be too. I get confused as to what their union can really do about it. Lots of locations close, lots of departments reduced or eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2013

Come to the hospital where I work. The union exists soley to protect people who can't be bothered to do the jobs they are being paid for. Think unions don't have power? Everytime any employee has ever told the managers that they were going to the union, management fell like a house of cards.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013

Unions have bankrupted many cities because of their expensive benefit packages. Unions need to accept the fact that no one gets those kinds of benefits anymore.

And don't get me started on the pilot and flight attendant unions that have crippled the airline industry.

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2013

What percentage of our manufacturing jobs have gone overseas since then? Jesus, now even our low-paying service jobs are outsourced to India.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2013

I was pro unions until I saw how wealthy senior union officials were and how the relationship between unions and employers is symbiotic.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2013

[quote] was pro unions until I saw how wealthy senior union officials were and how the relationship between unions and employers is symbiotic.

By "symbiotic" you mean that workers get fair wages, health care benefits, work in a safe environments without fear of being exploited or injured if safety conditions are poor?

So you think the 11% of Americans represented by unions don't deserve the benefits garnered over the years because a some senior officials have large salaries?

Please don't get health insurance because wealthy executives make huge salaries and bonuses. Don't use the financial services industry at all. It's not just the insurance execs., the bankers make huge $$$, too, so withdraw your money and put it under your mattress. Do you own any Apple devices? Please throw them out or burn them. Apple execs make a lot of $$$ while their company is incoroporated in Nevada where they have token taxes to pay. Do you like ordering pizza from home? Food service executives make outrageous salaries, too.

If you think unions should be done away with because their bosses are fat cats, it's only fair that you do without the services, comforts and amenities that companies provide when their executives gouge.

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2013

"Unions need to accept the fact that no one gets those kinds of benefits anymore."

Why? It certainly isn't because corporations can't afford those benefits. And many pensions would be fine if they hadn't been raided to fund tax cuts (see NJ as a prime example). They just don't want to pay them and nobody seems to care.

Why are so many people willing to be screwed? I don't get it. I'm in a union but that doesn't mean I think my private sector fellows should starve. I think they should get back what I (for now) still have.

P.S. If we had universal healthcare, a lot of those expensive benefits wouldn't be a problem anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2013

R 19 is correct. I also work in a public institution. Public employee unions, because of their political power, are guardians of an unaffordable status quo. At least in New York.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2013

The majority of workers who earn enough to live decently and retire with security are union workers.

The right has been very successful in splitting the American working class by making low wage earners see their union counter parts as greedy and underserving of their earnings.

The failure of the unions to educate as wells as gain fair wages hasn't helped their cause.

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2013

R24, I never said any of that. You seem rather melodramatic.

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2013

Flight attendants don't deserve any extra benefits or pensions. They're all bitches, who do nothing but pass out peanuts, soft drinks, and point out the exits, which surprisingly haven't moved in over 50 years. If you don't know where the exits are by now, then you shouldn't be on an airplane at all.

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2013

Didn't 9/11 pretty much diminish any flight attendant and pilot union efforts? Unless someone is quite senior, FA pay is crap.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2013

Unions suck - the mobsters totally ruined them. Can't really blame the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 3109/09/2013

I laugh at the brainless people, including the ones in this thread, who are against unions. What they're saying is, "I picture myself among the haves, and I want to keep down the have-nots. Including myself."

by Anonymousreply 3209/09/2013

Don't blame the Right or the left. Unions are run by crooks.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2013

[quote] People who opt out of unions should have to work weekends, have no sick days, and work in poor working conditions, not to mention take cuts to their paychecks.

A lot of people who are against unions are people who have jobs with benefits. Or who have jobs with benefits and a good salary because of unions.

I used to work in a hospital pharmacy in NYC. We weren't union, but other hospital pharmacies were union. My hospital had to keep up with the unions and paid comparable (or better) wages and benefits. Despite this fact I always used to hear co-workers bitching about unions.

Now I live in Atlanta and know a lot of teachers. Most of them are republican. During the elections I always hear them bitching about unions. Georgia teachers are not union, but Georgia pay wages and benefits comparable to union teachers in other states. If there weren't unions we'd all be making minimum wage. The only reason people started getting raises and benefits is because workers unionized 60 yrs ago. It bugs me that people don't understand that

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2013

[quote] was pro unions until I saw how wealthy senior union officials were and how the relationship between unions and employers is symbiotic.

That pisses me off to, but it is NOTHING compared to CEO's and upper management.

Unions need to modernize. It's 2013 and they are still run like it's 1965. They need to stop protecting their poisonous employees. There are teachers in NYC who have molested students and still have jobs. Why the hell anyone would do that is beyond me. The union just protects these pieces of shit for the principle of the matter. And that's wrong. The same with police who assault or kill someone. They suspend them with pay for years. They should fire them. These types of people would be immediately fired from any other job. If the unions didn't protect these assholes more people would support unions.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.