Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WARNING: Straight people trading kids on the internet

Through Yahoo and Facebook groups, parents and others advertise the unwanted children and then pass them to strangers with little or no government scrutiny, sometimes illegally, a Reuters investigation has found. It is a largely lawless marketplace. Often, the children are treated as chattel, and the needs of parents are put ahead of the welfare of the orphans they brought to America.

The practice is called "private re-homing," a term typically used by owners seeking new homes for their pets. Based on solicitations posted on one of eight similar online bulletin boards, the parallels are striking.

"Born in October of 2000 – this handsome boy, 'Rick' was placed from India a year ago and is obedient and eager to please," one ad for a child read.

A woman who said she is from Nebraska offered an 11-year-old boy she had adopted from Guatemala. "I am totally ashamed to say it but we do truly hate this boy!" she wrote in a July 2012 post.

by Anonymousreply 3209/12/2013

"I am totally ashamed to say it but we do truly hate this boy!"

LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

I'll trade you two Emmas for 1 Noah.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2013

Press agencies fell again for an Onion story.

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2013

Dear God, if we'd only had the internet 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

How can I order a eastern European twink like in the Bel Ami videos?

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2013

Swapping and giving away children has been going on around the world for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

[quote]"Born in October of 2000 – this handsome boy, 'Rick' was placed from India a year ago and is obedient and eager to please," one ad for a child read. A woman who said she is from Nebraska offered an 11-year-old boy she had adopted from Guatemala.

Adopting exotic children seems to have been the Pokemon craze of its day -- once they've "collected 'em all," they get bored and want to sell the collection.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

Growing up I knew a kid who stayed with family friends because he was troubled and his parents were a-holes. I guess that's a form of "re-homing". I support "re-homing".

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

The Russian orphanages were supposed to have been nightmares. The babies were never held or shown any affection. It only got worse if the kids stayed there as they grew up. There was something on TV about adoption of grade school age Russian kids that had been in those places. They were kind of sociopathic. Because they were never shown affection they had no emotion and couldn't form any attachments. Just a total lack of empathy. Those orphanages were like a recipe for how to create a serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

I think it's a marvelous idea, and long overdue. Why should stylish parents be stuck with last season's brown child, when a yellow child is this season's must-have accessory?

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

That obese woman in that article should NEVER be allowed to have children.

EVER.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013

Tell me why government should be involved in this in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2013

Look at this one:

"I just found out my son is a fag, so I need to get rid of him quick. He's 16, 6'1, 170, plays on his HS baseball team, white, good looking, generally a happy boy. But I believe in Jesus, so it's either give him away or bury him up to his neck and stone him to death. Free to good home."

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2013

[quote]"Born in October of 2000 – this handsome boy, 'Rick' was placed from India a year ago and is obedient and eager to please,"

Handsome? Eager to please? They might as well describe his accommodating holes.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

^ insane remark

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

I mean at R15

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2013

Um, not really, R17.

This is all pretty much vile.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2013

You think I'm insane? Thanks, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013

that's why i'm anti adoption

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2013

that big momma makes me want to run to a local wendy's and eat eat eat!

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2013

From brick and mortar to e-commerce: the African Baby Catalog goes digital!

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2013

R9, Read a series of articles on American adoptees from Romanian and Russian orphanages. Many were overindulged by their new parents and had very serious adjustment issues. Some tried to send the kids back. The lucky ones were treated in a psychological facility for group development.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2013

[quote]From brick and mortar to e-commerce: the African Baby Catalog goes digital!

I order mine through an iPhone app now. So much more convenient, you can do it anywhere, AND they take returns! Last month, when little Butuwande wasn't working out, I sent him back on Tuesday and had a replacement by the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2013

This makes no sense whatsoever and, to be honest, I STRONGLY doubt that this story is genuine.

Do you realize that adoptions are very much controlled, and that the authorities would be rapidly warned if this were taking place?

"Selling" or "exchanging" a child with complete strangers is a crime, and I find it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to believe that this would have been happening in a completely unregulated manner for years upon years. Adoption procedures are lengthy and arduous, and once you are a child's adoptive parent or legal guardian, you cannot simply "transfer" him or her to a stranger, as if it were an object you don't want. Also, the child;s case is regularly followed by the pertinent authorities. Parents who are unhappy with their adopted children can't just give them away, just as people cannot give away the children they have given birth to, just because they do something they don't like. If a child goes missing from their home, everyone from schools, pediatricians, neighbours, etc. would be alarmed. It's nothing like "re-homing" a pet, which also is a practice subjected to government regulation.

How distasteful and cruel to make up an idiotic story about this, for the sake of sensationalism.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2013

[quote]Tell me why government should be involved in this in the first place?

Guessing you're all for the "free market" controlling slavery as well?

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2013

Did you read the article R26? It. Is. Happening. It is a Reuters investigation not News of the Fucking World.

by Anonymousreply 2709/12/2013

R26, if you didn't read the article I suggest you shut up or risk looking like a fool (too late!).

The article clearly states that a simple power of attorney is enough to transfer custodial rights and is not illegal.

by Anonymousreply 2809/12/2013

Is there an online catalog to browse?

by Anonymousreply 2909/12/2013

Sounds like Russian propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 3009/12/2013

Reuters isn't exactly a bastion of truth. They've published false stories before, which they sometimes blame on hackers. They are also very biased in articles about global climate change. Apparently, the top guys don't believe in it.

by Anonymousreply 3109/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.