Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Breaking Bad fans -- Are they all similarly obnoxious about their obsession with this show?

I have three different friends who love this show; a co-worker, an older gay friend and a straight male friend (and his wife, so 4 total). None of them know each other, they're all from separate areas of my life.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that each one of them brings it up each time I see them. They are constantly asking if I watch it even after I've told them all repeatedly that it holds no interest for me. My straight male friend in particular keeps trying to "sell" me on it. "You gotta watch it !" I hear from him constantly. My gay friend just seems to forget they I don't watch it. "Did you see last week's?" I have to remind him again that I've never watched the show. Then I have to hear for the 1,000th time that I "should".

Now my co-worker is throwing a party to watch the finale. She wants me to come to her house and watch it with her friends. She invited other people from the office but as far as I know the ones who've said they're going are fans of the show. We don't even really socialize much outside of work so it's even weird that she's inviting co-workers.

What is it with fans of this show?

by Anonymousreply 10509/28/2013

It will be over soon and then it will no longer be an issue for you.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

Get ready, OP.

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2013

Poor you

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

I'm with you OP. I don't have any interest in meth culture, and Bryan Cranston annoys me. Similarly, I find prison culture unpleasant and have no interest in Orange Is The New Black. Never liked The Sopranos either - loud stupid Italians are unwatchable.

And yes, everyone I know who's followed any of these shows is practically rabid about making other people watch.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

Yeah, I've seen the obnoxious fans, on imdb message boards for other shows, they're running around saying Breaking Bad is better. It's a turn off, trashing great shows like American Horror Story just to promote their own personal favorite.

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2013

OP, your friends sound like very sweet people for wanting to include you in their interests. My friends could give an uppity fuck about my penchant for daytime soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2013

r11, that said that about The Wire and The Sopranos. Get off your high horse.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

How popular is it? It's soooooo popular that they've created it in Legos. :)

Bricking Bad!!

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

I can't get into the show. I've tried getting into it. Started it twice on Netflix, but give up fairly quickly. It's way too bleak for me. I don't like most of the characters.

Everybody I know is obsessed with the show. I live in Albuquerque where it is filmed. They've filmed dozens of scenes in my neighborhood. One of my friends worked on the show.

I love how most of the responses thus far have been urging the OP to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2013

I've never watched the show because the title sounds obnoxious and i still don't know what the fuck it means.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013

I actually like some of the earlier seasons where it had some black humor to it.

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2013

[quote]On the other hand...all Dexter writers, should be lynched.

Such an awful, awful season. How sad for them to go out on such a bad note. They should have wrapped it up after Season 4.

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2013

R27, what part of "it holds no interest for me" do you not understand?

I have to say that I love how 80% of the posts here are confirming my headline.

As someone else said: it's too bleak. I'm not enthralled by gangster culture and the meth storyline repulses me. Nothing about it appeals to me.

Notice that none of my observations are criticisms, they're statements of personal taste. I'm sure the show has its merits. It just isn't to my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2013

Oh please r37. They are glorified soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 3809/09/2013

r39 - soap operas can be works of art.

by Anonymousreply 4009/09/2013

Gloried soap operas are better than most of the crap on TV, there is value in a pleasant time killer. Even real soaps can provide that, but the gloried soaps are so much better with the vastly improved acting and writing.

by Anonymousreply 4109/09/2013

[quote]Great shows like Breaking Bad feel more like watching well-made independent films, OP.

I'm sorry, does your condescending tone indicate that you assume I've never watched a made-for-cable series before???

I seriously cannot believe how thoroughly the BB fans have embodied my question. Jesus fucking Christ! You people act like you're the first ones to discover a 5th network!

Just so y'all know: I have had HBO and Showtime for over a decade. I even watch several other original AMC shows. I also have an active Netflix subscription, was born after TV was invented but before the Internet was, and I've probably seen more independent films than you. But do keep schooling me with your vast knowledge, insufferable BB fans!

I honestly thought this thread would be a half dozen people agreeing with me, an equal number of defensive BB fans, a little snark and then a quick death. But this is sooooo much better!

Please, tell me more about what I don't understand about the magical world of TV programming. I just can't wait to be schooled some more by our wise and outspoken band of Breaking Bad fans.

by Anonymousreply 4309/09/2013

[quote] soap operas can be works of art.

You are the Maryest Mary who ever Mary-ed.

by Anonymousreply 4509/09/2013

CHrist, R18, I am an ardent fag hag of 40+ years, and that would never occur to me! You sound like blacks bitching, "where are the blackS", etc. A show is a show is a show. I don't think art - although I am stretching it with the word "art", as applied to most TV - should be subject to "quotas." Someone wants to write a show about gay characters, or include same in a show - fine.

I read, some years ago, that studies/statistics were done on the number of female vis male characters in most TV shows: women were something like 6%. Only 6%. Ask any working actresses in SAG-AFTRA about this. Sucks but it is what it is.

"THis is a man's world", the song goes. "Straight" is understood. I don't like it either. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of various TV shows.

Sorry to rant. I DO get your point.

by Anonymousreply 4809/09/2013

I have a friend who happens to be black that will not watch Game of Thrones because there are no black characters.

He freely admits it. There are a few minor characters in season 2 but not enough for him to watch.

On to OP's question, I love the show but if you don't so fucking what. Tell your friends you don't want to watch it and that's the end.

I can't stand Mad Men, suffered through the first two seasons. I believe I'm the only fag alive that hates the show but after my constant bitching about how much I hate the show, everyone doesn't bother about watching it.

by Anonymousreply 5109/09/2013

R51, I agree on Mad Men. I gave it two seasons, but couldn't get into it. I didn't know it had much of a gay following. To me I always thought it attracted straight guys since the premise is basically It's So Hard Being A Gorgeous, Upper Middle Class Straight White Man in the 1950's. I also got the impression that straight women liked it too for the fashion.

by Anonymousreply 5309/09/2013

Mad Men is a great-looking show, but a total snooze. You can feel the smugness radiating through the tv, too.

by Anonymousreply 5409/09/2013

[quote]It's a turn off, trashing great shows like American Horror Story just to promote their own personal favorite.

Are you kidding? AHS is intolerable. Poor writing, directionless, hammy, and worst of all, it steals all it's atmosphere from other, better horror films. I gave up fairly quickly on the show while my partner stuck through season one. But even he bailed on season two. God, for all the scene chewing in the series I'm surprised they had any sets left by the season finale.

by Anonymousreply 5509/09/2013

... almost as bad as people on 'Spotify' or whatever, who have to foist their stupid music off on you all the time. I'll listen to what the fuck *I* want to listen to. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5609/09/2013

[quote]You bitch about gays and "blacks" wanting representation on TV, and then bitch about women not having representation on TV.

R48 isn't bitching about the lack of roles for women. R48 is saying there are a lot of kinds of people not represented on TV and it sucks, but get over it.

I don't care there's no gay men or women on BB. It doesn't need it and it knows they story it wants to tell.

by Anonymousreply 5709/09/2013

"I've seen the obnoxious fans, on imdb message boards for other shows"

Me too, I've seen them invading more than one geek board. They remind me of the "Dark Knight" trolls (young, white, male, obnoxious), although so far they aren't as bad.

Me, I'm never going to watch "BB". Part of my job involves dealing with druggies, I don't need to watch them in my spare time.

by Anonymousreply 6209/09/2013

[quote] but they were flawed and nowhere near perfect. Breaking Bad is perfection all the way through.

No. I like the show a lot, but no. The train robbery was ridic. And the two planes crashing because Jane's father was depressed was just too tv. I get that Gilligan had an idea in his head -- the imagery of the red teddy bear in the pool; the loose teddy bear eye rolling around -- oh yeah, that would be great imagery of a plane crash, wouldn't it? Yeah, it is great imagery of a plane crash. But that crash was just wrong. We get it -- Walt does bad things and they affect a lot of people. The leap of adding two planes crashing to Walt's list of victims was ... so very tv.

The killing of the henchmen inside of prisons all at the same time? Come on.

Walt not getting pissed at Todd for wasting the kid? up until then Walt was a persnickety guy with a huge ego who would never have out up with someone making a decision like that without his ok. Walt and Jesse were still tight and should have made plans to disappear Todd and blame it on Lydia. Todd spoiled Walt's big train caper. For that alone, the Walt we'd been watching would have made sure to kill Todd off while getting rid of Lydia and keeping the white power guys on his side, but at a distance. It was an obvious plot contrivance to make us hate Walt. (Walt knew Brock wasn't going to die. He was careful with his poisoning of him)

The Walt Whitman gift from Gale in the bathroom? Plot contrivance.

And is it a rule now that the guy who played Gale has to appear on every cable tv show?

I like the show a lot. But it's not perfection.

by Anonymousreply 6409/09/2013

I love the OP! I can't imagine spending a Sunday evening watching this depressing show. The horrors of Meth addiction are all too reaI and I have known people who have a problem with meth. I will stick with Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, The Good Wife and The Walking Dead since I don't know any terrorists, zombies, lawyers or gangsters. Thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 6509/09/2013

Most fantards of any show are difficult to deal with. Why should BB fans be any different.

by Anonymousreply 6709/09/2013

Every fan is proving OP right.

by Anonymousreply 7009/09/2013

I find most series to be boring after 2 to 3 seasons, especially ones that are based on a shock value premise--e.g. Weeds, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Nurse Jackie. It seems to me that once the initial premise has been explored, the writers appear to engage in "how about" scenarios and try to one up each other making up more and more outlandish story lines.

by Anonymousreply 7609/11/2013

Well, all of us fans are very happy to see Breaking Bad die, r76. We can hardly wait for the final episode.

I think it should have ended last season. Taken out some of the Season 4 filler and wrapped it up by S4E16.

But it's a show we've been waiting to see end.

by Anonymousreply 7709/11/2013

I grew up and moved away from an area where meth was prevalent. Lots of poverty, crime, deaths, etc. I have no interest in watching a show that has anything to do with meth culture.

by Anonymousreply 7909/11/2013

I kept meaning to watch it but never did. People have given me shit about it for years.

My brother knows Cranston (a little) and says he's a very nice guy who has handled this whole Breaking Bad thing with aplomb.

by Anonymousreply 8409/12/2013

Literally every time I see my brother he goes on about how it's the best show ever made and gets angry when I don't comply. I tell him it's not important, it's just TV and he calls me a fucking idiot. Frankly, the evangelism concerning it is so offputting I'm probably never going to watch it.

I haven't been a regular Family Guy viewer for a good year now since it went weird and dull, but I did happen to catch an episode round a friend's earlier this year where they took the piss out of the cult-like behaviour of the fans by positing the notion that the actual show was just hypnotic suggestion that the show was great and to tell all your friends it is.

On this evidence, maybe that isn't so far from the truth.

I think Californication and Mad Men are great but I don't make it my mission to get all my friends into it.

"You've got to watch Breaking Bad. It's the best TV show ever."

Better than "I, Claudius"?? I sincerely doubt it.

Fuck. Off.

by Anonymousreply 8509/12/2013

I have a female friend who is a rabid Breaking Bad fan. She knows I dont' watch it, but she used to talk endlessly about the plots. She stayed with me for a weekend and brought the first season on DVD and bugged me to watch it. I was able to avoid it.

About three years ago I got her to stop going on about the show when I threatened to go on in the same way about True Blood, which she hated. It did the trick, but she will still sometimes rave about the show. I'm just not into that kind of dark fare. Not for me.

by Anonymousreply 8709/12/2013

HA ha ha, here it is. A rare example in the last few years of FG being on the money.

by Anonymousreply 8809/12/2013

I like what I like, and don't expect anyone else to think as I do. I don't even expect my friends to like one another; if they do, that's gravy. I love BB, but since I avoid pod people of any denomination, I haven't been bothered by OP's issues.

But I must laugh at dear ayb, whom I love. Because this quote?

[quote]I haven't been a regular Family Guy viewer for a good year now since it went weird and dull, but I did happen to catch an episode round a friend's earlier this year where they took the piss out of the cult-like behaviour of the fans by positing the notion that the actual show was just hypnotic suggestion that the show was great and to tell all your friends it is.

Describes every single one of my friends, current and former, who watches Family Guy. Full-level episode recaps, constant emailed links to clips, constant analogies of any aspect of, well, anything to something SOME character on FM said or did. Talk about "cult like!" I always feel like replying, "That's nice, Dear."

But everyone needs something or someone to love, right?

by Anonymousreply 9009/12/2013

R90 well it's nice that you don't spend your time going on about it. That makes you a rarity where BB is concerned. I've never done that about any TV show. It's just TV. Quality varies.

Even the excellent "Six Feet Under" had a WHOLE SEASON where their mission seemed to be to make the audience miserable as they watched it. That'll be number 3. Yes?

About the only series I've ever watched where there were no dud episodes was "I, Claudius". It really was brilliant- probably because it had the cream of the British acting profession in it, and because it had absolutely every genre covered.

*shrugs*

by Anonymousreply 9109/13/2013

Was season 3 the main art-school season, because that really dragged. Pretentious little snots.

by Anonymousreply 9209/13/2013

I'm from Albuquerque and "have you watched Breaking Bad" is invariably the first thing people say to me after I reveal that fact.

by Anonymousreply 9309/13/2013

R92 It's a long time ago, but I think it was the one which had the constant fighting between Nate and his wife and her running off. But then I think it just generally was really dreary- lots of 'oh they're turning a corner' always turning into shit. For every character. They got it back in the next season thankfully, and then of course the final season was as good as the first two and had *that* ending.

But yeah, it was a real slog watching all that misery, and I was in a bad place anyway, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 9409/13/2013

I have no beef with Breaking Bad fans. I just don't care for misery-based entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 10309/20/2013

[quote]As someone else said: it's too bleak. I'm not enthralled by gangster culture and the meth storyline repulses me. Nothing about it appeals to me.

That's exactly how I felt once, but I happened to watch a couple of episodes with a friend and got hooked. It did take 2 episodes, because as you say it is a pretty bleak and nasty world. I resigned myself to hating the main character. I don't think you're meant to love him, but he's pretty captivating.

It's an extremely high quality drama, very well drawn characters and suspenseful and great story lines. No mediocre acting or big plot holes or significant continuity errors. It is as good as The wire, and much better than shows like "The newsroom" or "American Horror Story". It is nothing short of a TV work of art.

OP, if you like TV dramas at all you should give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 10409/28/2013

[quote]I also thought it would be interesting if they had a gay meth dealer, and shown the effect of meth on the gay community. Or had a storyline that showed how far reaching the effect of Walter White's actions were by focusing on some of the people who had become addicted to his blue meth.

Queer as folk doesn't hold a candle to BB generally, however there's a pretty good storyline related to what you want in season 4. It's already been done, sort of.

The repercussions of Walt's evil ways are shown over and over again. That's done very well. Meth addicts are all depicted as being in the metaphorical gutter. Most of that meth comes from Walt.

by Anonymousreply 10509/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.