Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Boom" at BAM, Oct 3,2013. Tennessee Williams film adaption of The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore

Theatrical film "Boom!" at BAM, One night only, Thursday Oct 3, 2013

Directed by Joseph Losey | 1968

With Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Noel Coward, Joanna Shimkus, Michael Dunn

According to John Waters: “It’s the best failed art film ever. It’s a ridiculous re-title of the Tennessee Williams play The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore with Elizabeth Taylor as the richest woman in the world. It is the ultimate drag queen role… It really influenced Divine and I. Elizabeth Taylor was Divine's idol… I used to show it on first dates. If they didn't like it I could never go out with them again.”

Thu, Oct 3, 2013 8pm

BAM Rose Cinemas

RUN TIME: 113min

RATED: NR

FORMAT: 35mm

GENERAL ADMISSION: $13

BAM CINEMA CLUB: $8

STUDENTS/SENIORS:  $9 (29 and under with a valid ID, Mon—Thu)

by The Witch of Caprireply 909/09/2013

Its hilariously awful of course, but so compulsive. This is what the Burtons and director Joseph Losey thought of as art back in the late 60s. She is of course too young and he too old for those roles, but Noel Coward pops in and it is all camper than camp, particularly Liz's head-dress and her line readings. And that set - in Sardinia I think.

Wish I had seen the Tallulah and Tab Hunter version.

by The Witch of Caprireply 109/09/2013

Fifteen minutes of campy behavior is funny; any more than that is just tiresome. BOOM goes on for what seems like hours.

by The Witch of Caprireply 209/09/2013

Pain! Injection! Now!

by The Witch of Caprireply 309/09/2013

"adaption"?!

Yikes.

by The Witch of Caprireply 409/09/2013

SHIT on your mother!

by The Witch of Caprireply 509/09/2013

Tennessee Williams said it was his favorite film adapation of his plays.

by The Witch of Caprireply 609/09/2013

The whole thing is on YouTube now. I'd wanted to see it for years - it drags in spots but overall is an amazing cultural artifact.

by The Witch of Caprireply 709/09/2013

Agree with R2 - it's fun to watch for a short while, but it gets tiresome very quickly, though it's worth sticking around for Coward's brief scene. Burton pretty much phones it in.

"Tennessee Williams said it was his favorite film adapation of his plays."

Williams was so drugged/boozed up much of the time at that point, one should take that statement with a pound of salt.

Taylor's follow-up movie with Losey - SECRET CEREMONY - actually is compulsively watchable, just because it's so bizarre. Taylor is quite good in it.

by The Witch of Caprireply 809/09/2013

Oh no. Slip out and go to Junior's for some mediocre food. That couldn't be any drearier than this movie. And $13??? Puh leese.

by The Witch of Caprireply 909/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.