Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sandra Bullock "Didn't feel worthy" of her Oscar

"Most people have that out-of-body experience when they win the Oscar," said Bullock "I had a little newborn at home. So my body was already out of itself. And I think it was the universe's way of humbling me and saying, 'You know what's important? The acid reflux vomit that's happening right now.'

"I still haven't gotten around to having my moment with it yet," she continued. "Maybe one day it will come. What it does do is make you realize how hard you have to work to earn it." I didn't feel worthy of it when I got it (for The Blind Side), so I feel like, OK, I'm going to spend the rest of my life hopefully earning it, but having a really good time in the process as well."

by Anonymousreply 5609/09/2013

I have seen every best actress performance. Has to be the WORST best actress i have ever seen. Hated the blind side with a passion. This movie should have been made for lifetime. Maudlin, contrived and made to appeal to fundie fraus across the country. Sandra bullock only won due to her being so liked in the industry. If she feels bad about winning give it to anyone of the other four nominees who deserved it a hell of a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

Is it possible she could have asked that her name be removed from consideration before the voting started?

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2013

She's right

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2013

Finally, an authentic "feeling" from her.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

Wow, Julia Roberts finally learned to clean her cookies.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2013

In terms of the critics Awards for best actress that year

Hye-ja Kim for Mother won the LA Film Critics

Lesley Manville for Another Year won National Board of Review

Giovanna Mezzogiorno for Vincere won National Society of Film Critics

Annette Bening for The Kids Are All Right won the NY Film Critics Award

All DLers would agree Annette Bening should have won that year.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

[quote] Julia Roberts finally learned to clean her cookies.

Julia did win the LA and National Board of Review Best Actress award for Erin Brockovich

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

She WASN'T worthy of her Oscar. Gabourey Sidibe or Meryl Streep should've won, so how gracious of her to acknowledge her unworthiness.

This year, she probably deserves the Oscar for "Gravity"; however, I hope she loses since she already has a trophy she didn't earn.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

I hope she wins an Oscar for Gravity. I think she deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

R2 She probably didn't think she would win so keeping her name as an AA Nominee was good enough.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013

Agree completely with R9. She will blow everyone else out of the water with this performance and will be nominated, but she will have already won one widely if quietly perceived as not really deserved. Things will balance out.

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2013

[quote]All DLers would agree Annette Bening should have won that year.

WRONG.

Annette Bening lost to Natalie Portman in 2011.

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2013

OOPS Sorry R13, got the year wrong. OKAY IGNORE the post at R6

Start over

In terms of the critics Awards for best actress that year (2009)

Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia (NY Film Critics)

Yolande Moreau - Séraphine (LA Film Critics)

Carey Mulligan - An Education (National Board)

Yolande Moreau - Séraphine (National Society)

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013

[quote] Gabourey Sidibe should've won

And your credibility ends here.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

[quote]Annette Bening for The Kids Are All Right won the NY Film Critics Award. All DLers would agree Annette Bening should have won that year.

I don't really give a flip about the Oscars, aside from enjoying the glitz.

Bening is a wonderful performer who I always enjoy watching.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

I disagree. Sandra may not be the greatest actress per se, but she solidly fits the bill of star (and that's a very rare thing these days) and personality. I've never seen a movie in which I've been unimpressed with her ability. I very much like the attitude that she feels she needs to keep working. Unlike virtually every other actress working, she can open a movie. She is charming. She knows how to disappear whe she needs to, and she knows how to come back. She picks smart projects. She surrounds herself with talented people. She has that inimitable thing that makes her work exceedingly well on camera, and that is also very rare.

I was surprised by her performance in Blind Side, which could have easily been a Lifetime movie. Her performance turned it into something quite different. It may not have been immersively brilliant like say Streep or Cotillard, but it had something else those ladies lack. Streep has said that Bullock does things naturally easily as an actress that she herself could never do. I completely concur. I think her body of work, and certainly her box office is impressive, and she's not going away after forty, a feat in itself.

She deserved her Oscar for Blind Side. It was an industry acknowledgement of what she has done, and what she is to the business. Not all Oscars are for individual performance. There are many different criteria.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2013

The only person who deserved an Oscar for "The Blind Side" was Adriane Lenox, the woman who played Big Mike's real mother in the film. Sandra shouldn't feel worthy of her Oscar at all. She should actually give it to that woman.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2013

I think the Oscar has lost its cache. Consider the greats who never won and the one-hit-wonders who did. Extraneous factor seem to matter more than the actual performance.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013

I am SO sick and tired of people using the "should've been a Lifetime" movie to criticize a film. You do realize that's essentially a backhanded compliment? The type of flicks Lifetime makes were A-list women's pictures in the 40s and 50s, many of them among the most admired and acclaimed films in the history of cinema -- "Now, Voyager"..."Letter from an Unknown Woman"..."All that Heaven Allows"...etc.

So, please, stop it. You don't know what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2013

Two words about worst best actress award recipient:

Helen Hunt

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2013

R20 sounds like a hysterical movie queen.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2013

R17 and R19 well put. Sandra certainly has that star quality. Felt she deserved the oscar more for that years the proposal where her likability was on full display and it was a better film. But the oscars in the best actress category has increasingly become about how fuckable you are. What can you expect when most academy members are around 60 and male.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2013

[quote]I have seen every best actress performance. Has to be the WORST best actress i have ever seen. Hated the blind side with a passion.

Yeah, I've talk to a few gays that hate "The Blind Side" because it's a sport orientated picture an they have zero interest and dismiss it outright. Sandra Bullock did a fine job and was rewarded by her peers. It's a fan award.

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2013

R20 you gotta be kidding! Comparing now voyager to a made for lifetime movie! Bet you think lindsay lohan deserves an emmy for her luminous potrayal of liz taylor.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2013

R20, I agree about that tired old line from would-be movie critics, but do look up the meaning up "back-handed compliment." It doesn't mean what you think. Also, most people would only be aware of Lifetime in its current incarnation.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2013

[ quote] I think the Oscar has lost its cache.

Oh, dear. I believe you meant "cachet."

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2013

R24 Nope i have seen a few sports movie and liked them. Hated the blind side because it sucked for the reasons i mentioned. There was nothing unique or special or of best actress oscar quality in sandras performance. But i think she does rather well at comedies. The bilnd side had every feel good cinematic cliche in it to nauseating effect.

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2013

r26, I think "back-handed compliment" fits here in an ironic way -- they're trying to be negative but actually saying it has qualities reminiscent of the classic films of the past.

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2013

Also, there's a misogynistic quality to dismissing a film as a "Lifetime movie" -- precisely because it features women and deals specifically with women's issues.

Again, please stop.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2013

Agree with R20-29-30.

by Anonymousreply 3109/09/2013

[quote] Two words about worst best actress award recipient: Helen Hunt

That Oscar was given in advance for her real Oscar winning performance in The Sessions.

by Anonymousreply 3209/09/2013

Helen Hunt was absolutely revelatory in The Sessions. The fact that that performance lost to AnnE Hathaway kvething and coughing on a soiled bed while picking lice out of her shorn hair is really the height of ridiculousness.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2013

When she honored the other nominees in her speech she knew she didn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2013

It was a weak year with unrealistic winners so they took the opportunity to reward Sandy, the weakest performance from a film that was traditional Oscar fare. She basically said she didn't deserve it in her speech.

What was odd was she came out of nowhere, being low down on top 10 prediction lists to higher IIRC. Maybe had something to do with The Blind Side not being seen and a later release. Still, it seemed suspicious and not very natural she won.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2013

Again this is who the critic liked that year

Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia (NY Film Critics)

Yolande Moreau - Séraphine (LA Film Critics)

Carey Mulligan - An Education (National Board)

Yolande Moreau - Séraphine (National Society)

Who would you have picked?

by Anonymousreply 3609/09/2013

[quote]Helen Hunt was absolutely revelatory in The Sessions. The fact that that performance lost to AnnE Hathaway kvething and coughing on a soiled bed while picking lice out of her shorn hair is really the height of ridiculousness.Helen Hunt was absolutely revelatory in The Sessions. The fact that that performance lost to AnnE Hathaway kvething and coughing on a soiled bed while picking lice out of her shorn hair is really the height of ridiculousness.

Quit bitching about Anne Hathaway who deserved the award and save your rant about Helen Hunt being in the Best Supporting category. She was as much the leading lady as John Hawkes was leading man.

by Anonymousreply 3709/09/2013

r36 Yolande Moreau was my fave of the year. I like that the LA Critics tend to pick great foreign language performances.

Although wasn't Tilda Swinton in Julia also out? If that had got in it would have made a mockery out of the other nominees.

by Anonymousreply 3809/09/2013

R35 I dont think it was a weak year for all five best actress nominees. For sandra, helen mirren yes. But for carey mulligan, meryl streep and gabourey sidibe no. Carey in particular i believe should have won.

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2013

I gotta agree, of the 5 nominees, I would've voted for Carey Mulligan. Loved that movie and her performance.

by Anonymousreply 4009/09/2013

While I really liked some performances, I don't think there was really anything that stood out and screamed Oscar, r39.

Not Mulligan (went on to be even better and will get one soon) and they certainly wouldn't give it to fellow newbie Sidibe who was the most Oscar-y of the lot but clearly would be a one off.

Meryl definitely would've got it were it a straight up Child biopic but while she was great, the film was fluff and she didn't have any big dramatic scenes, and well, for a "comedy" it wasn't funny. Streep got her Oscar for the right performance, regardless how bad the movie was, they couldn't ignore her.

by Anonymousreply 4109/09/2013

Yes, they could, r41. There was no reason to give Meryl the Oscar for that silly Margaret Thatcher impersonation. It was a dreadful performance and I suspect she knows it.

by Anonymousreply 4209/09/2013

She was fine in The Blind Sign, but it clearly seemed like the Academy was giving it to her merely for giving a decent performance in a movie that wasn't nearly as shitty as her usual stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4309/09/2013

I like her honesty. She is quite likeable and I don't begrudge her for that. She has made lots of movies and charmed plenty of people.

by Anonymousreply 4409/09/2013

Mulligan gave one of the most charming performances I've ever seen, but it felt too "light".

Sidibe may have been the best choice as she is probably not going to have another chance at a win. I recently watched Precious again - she is much better than Mo'nique.

by Anonymousreply 4509/09/2013

[all posts by racist shit-stain #11 removed]

by Anonymousreply 4609/09/2013

The Blind Side was dumbed down middle American trash, yet a guilty pleasure. Sandra made it better than it was but she didn't have a big scene to push her over the edge. It was all one level. It was basically Erin Brockovich with a hick accent in a blonde wig.

Sandra was better before, like in Infamous where she did a better Harper Lee than Catherine Keener.

by Anonymousreply 4709/09/2013

[quote]"Most people have that out-of-body experience when they win the Oscar," said Bullock "I had a little newborn at home. So my body was already out of itself. And I think it was the universe's way of humbling me and saying, 'You know what's important? The acid reflux vomit that's happening right now.'

I don't understand this statement. She didn't give birth to her baby, she adopted him. And why is she experiencing acid reflux vomiting?

by Anonymousreply 4809/09/2013

"I didn't feel worthy of it when I got it (for The Blind Side), so I feel like, OK, I'm going to spend the rest of my life hopefully earning it, but having a really good time in the process as well."

Translation, "I want to believe you like me-- you really, really like me. So give me another Oscar this year, bitches."

by Anonymousreply 4909/09/2013

R50 Basically

by Anonymousreply 5009/09/2013

Kathy Bates was adorable in "The Blind Side." She's from Memphis, you know.

The lady Sandra played in the film is truly just that way. She's an annoyingly compassionate person.

by Anonymousreply 5109/09/2013

R49 is ON THE CASE, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 5209/09/2013

I'm glad Sandra won because she made the best acceptance speech I have ever seen an actress give.

by Anonymousreply 5309/09/2013

If she hadn't won the Oscar she never would have been considered for "Gravity" and she has proved herself with another possible nomination and win.

by Anonymousreply 5409/09/2013

Sandra shows herself to be every inch the Nazi-loving, phony PR-mad image queen, doesn't she?

And isn't it nice that R54 judges Oscar worthiness by the quality of acceptance speeches? I mean, it explains everything!

by Anonymousreply 5509/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.