Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If New York is better than ever—and it is! It is!—why does it kind of suck?

Choire Sicha for New York.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013

NY is a dud.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2013

All of the people and things and qualities that once made New York cutting-edge and risky sadly seem to have packed up west to LA.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2013

What a fantastic article!

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2013

How many threads of jealous whiners do there need to be?

New York is has always been and will always be the greatest city in the nation. There have always been haters and New York has always thrived despite them.

Out of curiosity OP, where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

My cousin moved here in April and stayed with me while she looked for a job. Was never able to find anything, though, so she's moving back home at the end of next month.

She thought (and so did I) that New York would hold a lot more opportunities for her but so far nothing has come her way, and she's just about out of money now, so continuing on simply isn't possible (I do okay for myself but unfortunately cannot afford to support her). Though she's very unhappy about having to go back home (Midwest), I told her the same thing happened to me when I first moved here, but I came back a year later and the second time was able to get my feet on the ground. Been here for over 13 years now. So no matter what, never give up.

New York is just a tough place to get your feet on the ground, but once you do, anybody can make it here.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2013

A man entering his forties finds a place less exciting than it was during his twenties. Stop the presses!

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

Sorry R6 I but you just don't get it........the point is that to some people, historically-speaking, New York is not and will never be "a place".

It is something else, and OF COURSE I do not expect everyone to feel the way I do about NYC - but as the writer of the article astutely noted, the city is populated now by more and more of those who do not share the same bond.

This post sets me up for ridicule from the anti-NYC crowd here, but what else can I say? It is how I (and others) feel about NYC.

I know there are others who truly love their cities/towns the same way - like the residents of places such as New Orleans, for instance. Maybe they would understand.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

R4 is hilarious. These people really do parody themselves, don't they? No self-awareness whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

Couldn't finish that. People who write or talk about how things used to be so much better way back then can easily be diagnosed: You're Old! Time has passed you by! Your golden memories are false because you're Old! Things sucked as much back then as it does now but you don't remember because you're old!

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

Knock it off with the "oh, you anti-NYC types, you just wouldn't understand," R7. I never disputed the fact that New York is special; my comment was entirely about how predictable it is that someone Sicha's age would wax nostalgically about a place, any place, he experienced during his early adulthood.

Had the writer moved to L.A. instead, I'm confident he would have written the same article when Villaraigosa left office.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

btw r9 is mid-30s at youngest.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013

New York is too fucking rich to be fun

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2013

You can die very soon in an accident, r9

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2013

You really think so R10??

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2013

Maybe R12 is right. I think the appeal of New York is that it's one of "the" cities in the world known for opportunities. Yet, the cost of living is high and the competition for those opportunities is fierce. I love cities, but also know they're expensive to live in and much less stressful to live in if you have money. No, I'm a Canadian who's never been to New York -- but would like too because of my city love. My city (Vancouver) is nothing next to New York and yet, money, money, money is still what it takes to live in nice areas right in the city.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2013

R11 I never proclaimed myself young. I'm just very self aware and recognize when someone is writing a 'get off my lawn' article. Things were not better in NY years ago.

I lived there briefly as a child and I remember the garbage strewn streets and graffiti on all the trains and just about everywhere and learning to avoid eye contact so I wouldn't have some crazy nutjob yelling at me 'what are you looking at' and seeing such charming sites as a man urinating in the middle of the street in daylight traffic. People who write these kinds of articles have blinders on to the reality of the past which also included high crime, dirty streets and racism. But like any Old person, she only remembers the good times.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2013

The debate over subjective feeling is silly. There are all kinds of objective ways of measuring a city.

Cost of living, demographics, opportunity, cultural output, reputation, cleanliness and efficiency, all these things are measurable and NY, like any other place eventually does, is failing in many of them.

I loved San Francisco, but I left when I saw it failing - too expensive, influx of tech-yuppies with no concept of SF culture, exodus of artists and families, increase in rudeness... same thing, and you don't have to be old to see it. When I left I was not even 30.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2013

You had me at "measurable" facts, R17. Good post.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2013

Measurable facts?

-You guys need to re-think your corporate mindset, it us ruining you.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!