Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boardwalk Empire 9/8/2013 Premiere "New York Sour"

Nucky makes a peace offering to Joe Masseria; Federal Agent Warren Knox arrives in Atlantic City; Gillian seeks custody of her grandson; Eli's son turns to Nucky for advice; Al Capone plans to expand his Chicago business

by Anonymousreply 6310/15/2013

Has Jack Huston been nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of Richard Harrow? He's the most compelling character on the show. I hated Bobby Cannavale and his hammy acting.

by Anonymousreply 209/08/2013

Wow

by Anonymousreply 309/08/2013

The guy told Gillian he was with Piggly Wiggly, a 'chain of supermarkets'... The word 'Supermarket' wasn't coined until the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2013

So is Jack Huston off the show now? If he is, 80% of my reason for watching just vanished.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2013

No, but it is difficult to figure out how he will be a part of life in Atlantic City.

The only EMMY nomination went to Bobby Canavale and his big dick.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2013

I don't think Huston is off the show, r5. I saw an interview with him recently and from what he said it seems he is on quite a bit this year.

Don't want to spoil anything but the scene with Harrow and the dad and the roller skates. Wow. incredible scene.

Loved when the dude asked Gillian for a price and she said "10 more if you want me to put it in my mouth"

The acting on this show is so great

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2013

So Gillian is a smack addicted whore?

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

You make that sound like a bad thing, R8.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

some critics quibble about the pace and the dense story but this is really a great show that attempts more than most shows ever dream of.

I thought the writing was very good and the acting excellent.

Love that they are getting into Harlem.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

[quote]Love that they are getting into Harlem.

Where? When? The club scenes and the audition were in Atlantic City. Just because there are Black people and it's the 1920s doesn't mean it's Harlem.

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2013

Was Atlantic City ever really that hip?

My Father grew up in Cape May, and he made it sound like it was tacky even when he was a kid in the 1930's with nothing but salt water taffy stands, the diving horse, and penny arcades.

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2013

Is Kelly MacDonald going to be in this season? I saw her name in the credits. But I take it they are divorced since Nucky said he was a bachelor.

I had no idea Jack Huston was the grandson of John Huston. I hope his storyline isn't over now, his character is so interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2013

Jack Huston and Kelly McDonald are both still on the show.

I loved New York Sour. It was certainly one of the more depraved BE episodes and that is saying quite a bit.

the roller skate dad broke my heart

by Anonymousreply 1409/11/2013

I kind of missed that part. Why did "Richard" kill roller skate dad? Who was he?

by Anonymousreply 1509/11/2013

I thought I was too busy with random stories. I'm done with this show.

by Anonymousreply 1609/11/2013

SPOILER FOR "NEW YORK SOUR"E AHEAD DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET. **************************************************************************************************

r15, Richard killed three people in this episode. The first two guys who exited the diner and got in the car in the snow.

The "roller skate dad" r14 is talking about happens later in the episode. The camera is on a guy talking for about his kid's present and is getting more and more anxious until the camera finally pulls back and you realize Harrow has a gun on him. He begs Harrow for his life. It was a pretty powerful scene.

We don't know why Harrow killed this guy yet, they are debating it on Television Without Pity and IMDB but I say just let the story play out and it will be evident soon enough.

Btw, I read in spoilers that Margaret doesn't come on the show until like the 6th episode and . Jeffery Wright starts next week

by Anonymousreply 1709/11/2013

obviously the roller skate dad has some connection to a future storyline.

If you watch the scene [which I agree is fantastic] he says "I call a number and they do the rest" and " I take orders from Wisconsin" or Chicago, can't remember which right not.

Clearly there is some illegal activity the roller skate dad was connected to that Harrow has either been hired to resolve by killing the RSD or because its personal.

by Anonymousreply 1809/12/2013

I really liked this ep even though reviews had said that it was slowgoing. I still wish that Nucky was played by a more dynamic actor. Buscemi seems too much like a character actor rather than a lead. He has his moments though especially when his face morphs from passive to peeved and you can tell someone is going to get offed. The art direction dwarfs any other show short of Game on Thrones on tv. It is breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 1909/12/2013

agreed about the art direction on BE, it is unrivaled. I think even better than Game of thrones because Game of Thrones after all is fantasy.

With Boardwalk Empire [and Season 4 premiere episode in particular] you feel like you are looking through a time machine at real people living in the 20's.

by Anonymousreply 2009/12/2013

No, the pacing is definitely a problem, r10. It can be incredibly boring, almost painful to watch. Every episode has some good stuff, but usually not enough to keep me enthralled. They're padding it out and would have it go 10 seasons if the audience sticks around for it. Another padded out bore, just so they can make more money on it.

[quote] I really liked this ep even though reviews had said that it was slowgoing.

The reviews were right, BE's producers better start listening to them.

by Anonymousreply 2209/13/2013

I think the pacing is sometimes a problem on Boardwalk Empire but I prefer that to the jump cuts and 2 second frames on almost every show going these days.

I think they are right to take their time but I would agree the pace needs some variance.

My prediction: They will use the Onyx club sequences to break up the slower paced scenes.

Our attention spans have been systematically reduced over the past 30 years and that is not a good thing.

I do agree they need to pay attention to it.

New York Sour had some very strong moments, the art direction of the opening scene [a tip of the hat to the 40's classic "the Killers] and the scene where Harrow executes the father begging for his life were BE at its best.

I wish they had let the Dunn scene with the white couple get a little sloppier, a little uglier. I feel like it was too comfortable to watch and it lacked suspense that it would have had if they had let it play a few seconds longer.

And Boardwalk Empire as always makes great use of the very best of the New York acting community.

by Anonymousreply 2309/13/2013

The whole Nucky `n Jimmy plot worked but last season felt like a Sopranos rip off (Crazy fucker threatens the boss and will eventually have to die). I REALLY hope they don`t repeat that theme.

by Anonymousreply 2409/13/2013

I think the Bobby Canavale character was "sopransesqe" r24 and somehow that felt out of place in the 20's gangster world.

"Gyp Rossetti" was a composite character based on a few actual people but I feel they conceived of a guy who wouldn't have risen high in that underworld of 20's crime because he would have been perceived as unstable and taken out by one of the other leaders much earlier.

The character seemed contrived to create a sense of danger. I don't think they needed that. He seemed too contemporary in the portrayal and the writing.

Although I like Bobby Canavale, I think he seemed out of place in that era.

by Anonymousreply 2509/14/2013

[quote]I think the pacing is sometimes a problem on Boardwalk Empire but I prefer that to the jump cuts and 2 second frames on almost every show going these days.

That was one of the problems that a lot of people found with 'The Wire'. They felt that it was too slow and deliberate and didn't just get to the action. I loved The Wire and BE because the story unfolds and doesn't just happen

by Anonymousreply 2609/14/2013

I agree r 26 about letting the story unfold. Boardwalk Empire and the Wire were/are very much alike in that regard.

The focus is storytelling and there is no rush, some people find that compelling some have no tolerance for not having more elements of story in an hours worth of viewing.

I prefer The Wire and Boardwalk Empire to shows that have to hit predictable highs and lows and give the audience "water cooler points" every episode.

by Anonymousreply 2709/15/2013

no thread about the new episode "Resignation"

But it appears that after the merciless killing of the Roller Skate Dad, Harrow is unable to kill anyone or anything not even a dying dog.

I guess they are taking Harrow in a different direction away from the violence.

Honestly, I have been watching Boardwalk Empire for 3 seasons and this is the only time I have seen a character change. I am not complaining, but I think it puts Harrow in a unique position with the show.

Love the Narcisse character which is based on a real life guy and is played by Jeffery Wright.

Does anyone know if he had decided to kill the agent's slutty wife BEFORE they got in the care or did he decide when she made the lynching comment?

by Anonymousreply 2809/18/2013

The wife was a goner once the deal was agreed upon at the club.

by Anonymousreply 2909/18/2013

My DVR failed to record the first part of the episode and I only saw the last half hour:

Who is "roller skate dad" they are talking about him on TWOP as well as up thread here?

Can somebody just tell me plotwise who this is and what happened?

Blasted fucking DVR!

by Anonymousreply 3009/18/2013

Roller Skate Dad is the man Harrow killed in the season premiere. He had a present---skates--- for his kid. It was drawn out scene where the man begged food his life but was still killed after he gave up the info Richard wanted.

by Anonymousreply 3109/18/2013

r30 here is the scene on YouTube. The story is basically this killing affected Harrow to the extent he can't kill anymore, thus his inability to kill the dog in the last episode.

POTENTIALLY NSFW

by Anonymousreply 3209/18/2013

I think Dr. Narcisse was smart enough, and knew enough about his dead employee's sexual perversions, to know that the wife was lying through her teeth. He was using her to get to Nucky and White to give him a share in the club. He probably did feel real contempt for Dunn for being railroaded by his lust for a piece of white pussy. Narcisse gave her the rope to hang herself (pun intended!) when he asked how the husband knew which hotel she was being held in. I thought the actress who played her did a fantastic job. If you didn't know the truth, and she told that story to a white jury, Dunn would have hanged for sure. Also, Jeffrey Wright is knocking it out of the park. His scenes with Nucky and White are just awesome. I really liked this episode.

by Anonymousreply 3309/18/2013

Liza Shang the closhing shong on lasht weeks epishode

by Anonymousreply 3409/18/2013

wow, that clip @r32 is Boardwalk Empire at its best.

It makes sense the scene would be so graphic and desperate because now we are seeing that this is the murder that changes Harrow.

It isn't easy to watch, but it Harrow being haunted by it makes sense.

The thing about prohibition was that "non gangsters" got involved in the network thinking they could make a fast buck and didn't realize the kind of danger they were putting themselves in dealing with gangsters.

by Anonymousreply 3509/19/2013

agreed about the scene @r32. A scene like this has much more impact for me, than say the rambo like rampage of the Artemis club at the end of last season.

by Anonymousreply 3609/20/2013

Dr. Narcisse is a creepy fucker.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2013

Narcisse is a fantastic role and Jeffery Wright is perfect in it. I wonder if they wrote it with him in mind. Hard to imagine another actor in it.

Looking forward also to Patricia Arquette this season and Brian Gherrity from "hurt locker? The actor in r32's clip was fantastic, but who is he?

by Anonymousreply 3809/21/2013

So Harrow can't kill anymore. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3909/21/2013

[[Looking forward also to Patricia Arquette this season and Brian Gherrity from "hurt locker? The actor in [R32]'s clip was fantastic, but who is he?]]

I don't think Patricia Arquette shows up until episode 4 and Margaret doesn't appear until episode 6.

The actor in the scene you asked about is James Riordan.

Lots of surprises yet to come in Season 4

by Anonymousreply 4009/22/2013

my mistake, Patricia Arquette first appears in episode 3 airing tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4109/22/2013

I agree, R26. It's such a thoughtfully constructed world and has so many nuanced characters. I don't mind the pacing; I like to watch and just roll around in the visuals and what's going on. I could do without so many scenes about some of the lesser gangsters and more of Jack Huston and Kelly Macdonald, though.

by Anonymousreply 4209/22/2013

Am I the only one who feels like Jeffrey Wright is overdoing it? It feels very stage-actory to me.

by Anonymousreply 4409/22/2013

r44, I see what you are saying and yet I love him and I think he is finding the level, it was toned down from last week. I appreciate what he is doing and I think he is just finding the right level.

by Anonymousreply 4509/23/2013

I think his character is interesting. A kind of a cross between a gangster and Marcus Garvey and Wallace Fard. Clearly a Black Nationalist and the speech would be a mix of his Caribbean roots and the exaggerated enunciation of someone who wishes to emphasize how educated and articulate he is.

by Anonymousreply 4609/23/2013

renewed for a 5th season.

by Anonymousreply 4709/27/2013

I hated Patricia Arquette. I don't think she 'fits' with the show.

by Anonymousreply 4809/28/2013

Nucky gets to know Arnold Rothstein over a card game; Eddie is detoured after making a delivery; Al and Frank Capone finish a collector's route; Agent Knox vows to exploit Nucky's weakest link; Willie and his roommate take a practical joke too far.

by Anonymousreply 4909/29/2013

Here we go!

by Anonymousreply 5010/06/2013

One of the few characters that I liked! How sad.

by Anonymousreply 5110/07/2013

Damn, that Morgan Spector has bedroom eyes; he will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 5210/07/2013

I think Roy is only with Gillian because he's been hired to get the goods on her re: the boy she murdered. I bet he does that and by the end of the season she's arrested.

by Anonymousreply 5310/10/2013

The Josephine Baker character's singing is pretty boring, but then the real Josephine wasn't that great of a singer either. She was mostly famous for the nude Banana Dance, sex sells. Like Madonna, Jo's talent was self-promotion more than singing and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 5410/12/2013

Very true R54.

In any case, Margaret finally returns tonight, I think.

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2013

come back r40, more info!

by Anonymousreply 5610/13/2013

Whose initials were on the handkerchief?

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2013

Knew the voice, did not know the face.

What the hell happened to Margaret?

by Anonymousreply 5810/14/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 5910/14/2013

The final season next year will jump ahead to 1929 for many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 6010/14/2013

Final season R60?

by Anonymousreply 6110/14/2013

Yes, R61. HBO has announced that next season will be Boardwalk Empire's last.

by Anonymousreply 6210/15/2013

Really?!?

Link please r62.

by Anonymousreply 6310/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.