and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The definitive Pop Star thread.

1. Madonna

2. Janet

3. Britney (cringe)

4. Gaga

5. Beyonce (cringe)

Katy and Rihanna have bigger hits, but they just aren't pop star material. They bring nothing to the table, can't perform; it's their handlers. Britney is sort of the same, but she's just been too big for too long.

by Lauperreply 1209/09/2013

Kylie should be on that list above Cuntonce.

by Lauperreply 109/08/2013

Kylie would be sixth, R1.

by Lauperreply 209/08/2013

1) Madonna

2) Whitney

3) Janet

4) Rihanna (as long a reign as Janet, at least)

5) Kylie / Britney (tie)

6) Gaga

7) Paula Abdul / Beyonce / Katy Perry (tie)

That's how low in regard I hold Beyonce and Katy Perry. Neither will really be remembered. If we include men, Michael would be at the top of the list.

by Lauperreply 409/08/2013

You can replace Cher with Paul Abdul R4, and Kylie with Xtina.

You're welcome

by Lauperreply 509/08/2013

Diana Ross belongs at the top. The Supremes were second to the Beatles in terms of success. She was the first female modern pop singer to have major success in movies and on Broadway. Her concerts broke worldwide attendance records for decades. And she is the first to be cited by both Billboard and Guinness as the most successful female artist in history.

Madonna, Janet, Mariah and Beyonce have named her as a major influence.

by Lauperreply 609/08/2013

I guess Whitney to me is beyond them all. She's not really a pop star. It's almost why I didn't put Gaga on the list. If you can really sing/play, like Celine and Mariah - both I don't care for -- you aren't really a pop star. You're a talent.

by Lauperreply 709/08/2013

Agree R6.

by Lauperreply 809/08/2013

Rihanna, Beyonce and Diana are the only ones mentioned who have at least some music I like. I'm not too familiar with Gaga's stuff though, so can't say definitively I don't like her. Shout out to Donna Summer who I've always loved.

by Lauperreply 909/08/2013

Shitney Spears stands for everything that is wrong with the music industry today. Weak, non-singer who doesn't have any talent except dancing but she doesn't do that anymore. She's not even gorgeous to make up for the lack of talent. At best she's cute. Shitney is a puppet of the industry and it's a joke that some view her as an icon.

by Lauperreply 1009/08/2013

1) Whitney

2) Mariah

3) Madonna

4) Janet

5) Donna

6) Rihanna

7) Kylie

by Lauperreply 1109/08/2013

[quote]Shitney Spears stands for everything that is wrong with the music industry today. Weak, non-singer who doesn't have any talent except dancing but she doesn't do that anymore. She's not even gorgeous to make up for the lack of talent. At best she's cute. Shitney is a puppet of the industry and it's a joke that some view her as an icon.

Regardless, she was THE It Girl and icon of the early 21st century. Icon doesn't have to mean good but right off the bat she had THAT iconic video and song. The Vsdge comparsions were always ridiculous but there wasn't anything like that in pop culture since Like a Virgin and she was the most famous buzzed about new star on the planet.

When Britney debuted, it felt like we were getting replacements for the old guard of icons - Madonna/MJ/Prince. You also had Christina who had the vocal chops which caused Mariah to go crazy, Justin and his MJ aping. Even Eminem and female counterpart Pink.

I'm not even a Brit fan per se and I get what you're saying, she represents dumbness and dumbed down culture. But a dumbed down talentless bimbo who happened to have great pop songs.

by Lauperreply 1209/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.