Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Under Capricorn - What exactly is it with this movie?

I'm viewing this right now on TCM and there is something odd about it. It has an almost "made for TV", low budget quality. The audio is flat, or something. Anyone know what makes it seem this way? Was it filmed using some special technique or something?

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 109/08/2013

OP, it was shot in long, uninterrupted takes, like "Rope." That may be what is throwing you off.

by Anonymousreply 209/08/2013

I don't think its the pacing, I think it's something to do with the quality. It reminds me of those BBC television dramas from the 70s, like Brideshead Revisited. Was it shot in 16mm or something?

by Anonymousreply 309/08/2013

I agree, OP. I noticed that as well.

by Anonymousreply 409/08/2013

Ingrid Bergman hated the shoot because of the long, uninterrupted takes.

by Anonymousreply 509/08/2013

R4 Thank god I'm not the only one - I thought I was losing it for awhile there. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 609/08/2013

Very underrated Hitch movie, it is a better Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 709/08/2013

R7 But Margaret Leighton was no Judith Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2013

Really? I think it's the worst Hitchcock movie of all. The acting was unconvincing. The accents were annoying. Bergman was supposed to be Anglo-Irish gentry who just happened to speak with a Scandinavian accent. The clothes were ugly. And it was generally not fun to look at. Hitchcock usually filled the screen with plenty to see. But not here. The only saving grace was Michael Wilding being his usual charming self.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2013

Rent Capricorn Crude instead.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2013

I think the problem is that Under Capricorn hasn't been restored yet or put out on an official DVD yet, so most of the copies floating around on those cheap DVDs and TV stations are pretty awful. Is it possible that the movie is in public domain?

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!