and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sweet story in today's NY Times

about two men in NY who've been together for 58 years. Candid and amusing:

by Anonymousreply 3609/09/2013

This stood out today's paper

by Anonymousreply 109/08/2013

NYC in the 1950s:

“And the toilets in the subways — in those days if you traveled, say, 14th Street to 59th Street, you had to make at least three stops on the way, to check out every toilet.

“And there was always gay activity going on in the toilets. And I think it cost a nickel to get in in those days.”

by Anonymousreply 209/08/2013

[quote]Mr. Leedom walks with an aluminum cane since he broke his hip a couple years ago in a fall in their bedroom.

That's what he says.

by Anonymousreply 309/08/2013

They're an affront to my marriage!

by Anonymousreply 409/08/2013

[quote] " an affair with one of the last century’s greatest musicians..."

Bernstein?

by Anonymousreply 509/08/2013

No, Vladimir Horowtiz.

by Anonymousreply 609/08/2013

Whoops! Didn't read far enough. And I didn't know Horowitz was gay.

by Anonymousreply 709/08/2013

Sweet and sad at the same time -- the writer points out that, unlike most of the other residents of the senior living complex, the men have no children or grandchildren to visit them. And in three years, they haven't formed a single close friendship with another resident. Aging's a bitch for everybody, but perhaps especially so for gays.

by Anonymousreply 809/08/2013

The most interesting thing about them is the Chelsea townhouse they purchased back in the day for $150k...

And sold for 4 million dollars.

Why exactly are they living in this crap senior center?

by Anonymousreply 909/08/2013

And that was Sexville.

by Anonymousreply 1009/08/2013

You also don't know what the "real" personalities of these men are like. The author makes them out to seem like they are just sweet old guys. I wonder if they might be a bit imperious, pretentious or even rude to others. The story revealed that they speak rather "formally?" "Shall we forego dessert?" Who talks like that? I'll tell you who. Old queens from another time who had to form an external veneer, of a sort, in order to survive. Some old gay men (and many are simply lovely) are just obnoxious cunts who aren't worth the time. I have great compassion for their challenges with aging but none for their preening, entitled air.

This couple's longevity is lovely, per se, but the fact that they have made no close friends might be their own doing.

And that 4 mil they made on the sale of their townhouse? Do you know what assisted living COSTS these days?

by Anonymousreply 1109/08/2013

A lovely tribute to two gay seniors, but like so much of the Times these days, the article simply rambled on and on. It was fun to skim, but torture to read every word, every sentence. No wonder the Times is on its last legs. Brevity, please, especially for the ones already dumbed down.

by Anonymousreply 1209/08/2013

I felt better for being single after reading that. Thanks, NYT!

by Anonymousreply 1309/08/2013

R13, me too! Especially the part where the one dude threw his plate on the floor and shoved dished off the table? Yeah, that would happen like ONCE and his ass would have been gone. The things some people will put up with just to STAY TOGETHER. Yeah, accept abuse under the guise of "true love." Eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 1409/08/2013

[quote]Old queens from another time who had to form an external veneer, of a sort, in order to survive.

Young queens adopt the grand manner as a protective shell as well.

by Anonymousreply 1509/08/2013

R14, read the article again.

by Anonymousreply 1609/08/2013

[quote]I don’t even think my mother and father knew we were gay. They just knew we were close friends.

I admire them but that line makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 1709/08/2013

R16, I read it. All that "he could be so sweet, too" stuff. Acts of contritition don't excuse that behavior.

by Anonymousreply 1809/08/2013

BITTER sweet story, more like.

by Anonymousreply 1909/08/2013

[quote“We had a wonderful life together,” Mr. Leedom said, before adding, after a few questions: “He was a difficult man, to say the least. He had an anger in him that was unbelievable. The number of meals I’ve had thrown on the floor or in my lap. He’d pick up the tablecloth and just pull it off the table, and all the food would go flying. He had tantrums, a lot. But then he was calm and sweet. Very sweet, very lovable. And he really adored me.”

Um, okay.

by Anonymousreply 2009/08/2013

I thought Leedom was talking about his relationship with Horowitz in that passage, R20. Or was that Cott? I'm confused now.

by Anonymousreply 2109/08/2013

Yes, I read that as a description of Horowitz, though the Times could have made it clearer.

by Anonymousreply 2209/08/2013

[quote]And the toilets in the subways — in those days if you traveled, say, 14th Street to 59th Street, you had to make at least three stops on the way, to check out every toilet.

This is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 2309/08/2013

Bananen groeien noit alleen!

by Anonymousreply 2409/08/2013

What are we never doing alone with bananas?

by Anonymousreply 2509/08/2013

[quote]Especially the part where the one dude threw his plate on the floor and shoved dished off the table?

R14, dear, the "one dude" was Vladimir Horowitz, not the partner of 58 years.

by Anonymousreply 2609/08/2013

Then Horowitz was a HORRORwitz.

by Anonymousreply 2709/08/2013

So, how do we take care of our elders now?

by Anonymousreply 2809/08/2013

Jesus jumped-up CHrist on a cross: am I the ONLY person reading this who was not remotely surprised that Horowitz was temperamental?? Most great artists probably are - hello???

(Agree that the Times could have made it clearer but come ON people: reading comprehension!)

I thought it was a lovely article; I wouldn't mind seeing a Lifetime movie about it! Or any cable station

Logo, anyone??

by Anonymousreply 2909/08/2013

The movie could be called "Sexville" or "Three Stops to Paradise".

by Anonymousreply 3009/08/2013

The movie would probably be shorter than the article itself, and therefore more effective and moving!

by Anonymousreply 3109/08/2013

gt

by Anonymousreply 3209/09/2013

The article is sweet, but longer than the first act of Parsifal and not nearly as funny.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2013

Where's the "they look like twins" troll to tell us how you can distinguish one from the other?

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2013

“Across the crowded room I saw the back of his head, and I thought, that looks kind of cute,” Mr. Leedom said. “He turned around and I said, yes, very cute. Love at first sight.”

And what did Mr. Cott think on that first glimpse?

“I’m going to bed him,” he remembered, smiling wickedly. Then he paused. “And I did.” Another pause. “And I still do.”

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2013

[quote]Bananen groeien noit alleen!

Bananen groeien nooit alleen

by Anonymousreply 3609/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.