Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Wasn't Melissa George a Bigger Star?

Yes, who?

Currently (depending on your perspective) dating/bearding for Russell Simmons. Very pretty Australian-born ex-soap actress with some talent. I'd much rather watch her than, say, Naomi Watts.

by Anonymousreply 2509/08/2013

OP, don;t you mean Melissa Gorga?

by Anonymousreply 109/08/2013

It's because she rejected her soap opera roots. She had delusions of grandeur. The soaps are the training ground that keep your ego in check. That's why Julianne Moore is a huge star today because of that time on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 209/08/2013

Weird nose.

by Anonymousreply 309/08/2013

She wasn't talented enough.

by Anonymousreply 409/08/2013

Melissa and Isla played love rivals on the soap opera. Melissa may have won the man but Isla won the stardom.

by Anonymousreply 509/08/2013

She hasn't been with Russell Simmons for quite a while. She is pregnant by her new boyfriend.

She was excellent in "The Slap"

by Anonymousreply 609/08/2013

Isla wrote a YA novel. That may be the key.

by Anonymousreply 709/08/2013

What do we think people? Which of them burns off the screen?

by Anonymousreply 809/08/2013

Gets VERY touchy if you mention Home and Away. I suppose I would too, but then again I don't see what the problem is. Hers was one of the biggest storylines, their Scott and Charlene. And Neighbours and H&A keep churning out stars so who cares. The Aussie soap stars have Hollywood faces, that's why they do well. Also, there's little else there for actors.

She had a star quality so I'm not surprised she did well, but was also hoping she'd go on to more. Also: really bad horse veneers haven't helped.

Isla Fisher did do much better and I was also shocked about that, seemed random. Good for her. The only downside is she looks too much like Amy Adams and she is one whose shadow you couldn't easily escape.

by Anonymousreply 909/08/2013

It seems she is pregnant with some millionaire's child. Now, she'll never have to worry about getting a paying gig again. How do these over the hill out of work actresses do it? How do they manage to get some moneybags to knock them up and get set for life?

by Anonymousreply 1009/08/2013

She failed to become a mainstream houshold name, but I think she made a nice little niche for herself in the horror/thriller genre. She's one of my favorite contemporary scream queens (Triangle is especially awesome).

by Anonymousreply 1109/08/2013

I could understand getting pissy about H&A if it held her back, but it hasn't.

She should recognise that it's what gets her on Aussie TV/Radio to promote her latest projects, so it's best to be gracious.

by Anonymousreply 1209/08/2013

She has a great little body and she was good on In Treatment. Those veneers are hideous, though.

M. George showing her figure in an Agent Provocateur video:

by Anonymousreply 1309/08/2013

Melissa George was pretty good playing a spy on both Alias and Hunted.

by Anonymousreply 1409/08/2013

r8 She [Melissa] is pretty good there considering how bad the script is, a bit like early Kidman. Oddly enough Melissa is younger than Isla, despite the age in characters. Isla definitely looked younger. lol @ the Selena character, their replacement, at the start.. don't remember that.

Melissa did sound incredibly cunty when lashing out at Australia as if she had achieved loads. She hasn't. Isla Fisher could get away with that cause she's legitimately been given billing in some big movies (so therefore nobody asks her), but Melissa is still the B list TV star she was back then, only in a bigger pond of American B list TV stars. It must be annoying to have to be reminded of that cause the public won't know who you are otherwise.

I was so into the guy that played Melissa's love interest on Home and Away. He looks NOT so good now. He and Melissa famously hated each other which seemed a bit odd, but now it all becomes clear why.

by Anonymousreply 1509/08/2013

She sung a different tune about this ex-soap star thing a few years back, but lol then it reached boiling point.

by Anonymousreply 1609/08/2013

I thought you were talking about Linda George and her chainsaw teeth at first.

by Anonymousreply 1709/08/2013

Those big teeth were so bad, thought they were her real teeth until I saw her in Mulholland Drive. She has since gotten them fixed. Thank god.

by Anonymousreply 1809/08/2013

Melissa George has her own TV show on HBO/Cinemax Called "Hunted" that got cancelled but a spin-off Sam Hunter is in development.

Melissa is also set to guest-star in the Good Wife as "Marilyn, Peter's (Chris Noth) smart, sexy and savvy new in-house ethics counsel."

I was really sorry that her Grey Anatomy gig went so horribly off the rails. And ditto the Lie to Me gig.

by Anonymousreply 1909/08/2013

Those teef!!

Oh, and she's not a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 2009/08/2013

Her role in In Treatment was GREAT. She should have gotten an Emmy nomination.

by Anonymousreply 2109/08/2013

She has a very whiny acting style that grates on the nerves. Even on "Home & Away," she pissed me off during her emotional scenes. It's her voice. I don't want to listen to her speak!

by Anonymousreply 2209/08/2013

Channel 7 spoke out yesterday about a tirade unleashed by former Home And Away castmember Melissa George, who threw a hissy fit on Friday's The Morning Show because the segment referenced her days at Summer Bay.

The newsroom was still reeling from the outburst yesterday, which witnesses described as "erratic" and "unbelievable", as the Aussie actress threatened to walk off the set if hosts Larry Emdur and Kylie Gillies made mention of the character that made her a star, Angel Parrish.

"She kept saying she's had so many bigger roles since Home And Away that it was offensive to talk about it - she even said she'd send Seven an invoice because she inadvertently promotes it through the media," an insider said.

The program's executive producer Sarah Stinson, said she originally thought the meltdown was a prank. "At first I thought I was being Punk'd because it seemed so surreal," she told Confidential. "We're genuinely proud of Melissa's achievements, she's done a lot of great work, and I didn't realise she had such an issue with her roots. Most of our guests are usually proud to embrace where they've come from and we never would have done anything to purposely upset her."

George, who has appeared in The Amityville Horror remake, Grey's Anatomy and Alias, said the Australian press were "disgusting" for constantly aligning her with the soap. "I don't need credibility from my country any more, I just need them all to be quiet," she said. "If they have nothing intelligent to say, please don't speak to me any more. I'd rather be having a croissant and an espresso in Paris or walking my French bulldog in New York City.

"I've never spoken out about it because I have to be the loyal good Aussie, who goes away and comes home. "But I'm a really hard-working woman and people have to respect me for what I've done ... my next call will be to Home And Away to ask them to pay me because nobody does more promotion for that f ... ing show than me."

by Anonymousreply 2309/08/2013

Couldn't agree more r22. Her voice in that linked clip is nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 2409/08/2013

Watched "Hunted" on On Demand awhile ago. Thought it was very good.

by Anonymousreply 2509/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.