Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What should have beet Gigi for the Oscar?

?

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4701/16/2015

beat^^^

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 109/08/2013

The Turnip Point

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 209/08/2013

The Corn is Green

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 309/08/2013

Gigi deserved the Oscar that year. It was the piece of crap An American in Paris that never should have won, especially over Streetcar or Place in the Sun.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 409/08/2013

You're not daddy?

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 509/08/2013

Beets? When did I eat beets?

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 609/08/2013

OMG, here comes a DL clasick.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 709/08/2013

As long as you're correcting your spelling OP/R1, please try try get my name right.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 809/08/2013

Nominated that year: Gigi, Auntie Mame, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Defiant Ones, Separate Tables. Out of that pool, Gigi was hands down the most deserving winner. My pick, however, is the un-nominated Vertigo.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 909/08/2013

Estelle Parsnips for Best Actress!

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1009/08/2013

Gigli was universally panned around the globe and world, including Canada, asshole.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1109/08/2013

r11 tried to do comedy!!!

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1209/08/2013

I would give it to "I Want to Live!"

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1309/08/2013

Vertigo is OVERRATED!

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1409/08/2013

Of all the vegetables in the universe, only the beet goes on.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1509/08/2013

What was with the love for boring "Separate Tables"? Seven Oscar nominations and two wins, one for Best Actor David Niven, who won best Actor with only sixteen minutes screen time?

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1609/08/2013

"It was the piece of crap An American in Paris that never should have won, especially over Streetcar or Place in the Sun."

Amen.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1709/08/2013

" For Whom the Stuffed Bell Pepper Tolls" by Edgar Alan Potato.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1809/08/2013

Beet me, Daddy!

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 1909/11/2013

r19 .....eight to the bar?

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2009/11/2013

[quote]Gigli was universally panned around the globe and world, including Canada, asshole.

Yeah well opened in NY in an actual Broadway theatre, The Royale, now called the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre and not a movie theater for over a year before the rest of the country got to see. People liked it.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2109/11/2013

Embarrassed for R21.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2209/11/2013

Gigi is kind of a piece of crap. Several good songs and it looks pretty, but Louis Jourdan drains the energy out of every scene he's in, and it's a blatant attempt at cashing in on the success of My Fair Lady.

Caron is charming and Gingold is fabulous. A little Chevalier goes a long way.

Minnelli could have made a breathtaking My Fair Lady film. Instead he elevated two very meh Lerner scripts.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2309/11/2013

I agree with r4, Gigi works brilliantly and has survived the test of time as a musical, a comedy and a musical comedy. The cast was superb, the dialogue witty, the pacing exciting, and the songs among the finest written for a screen musical. Caron's performance carries the movie with it's charm and vulnerability and transition from cute soubrette to screen goddess. Only her Hollywood-style dubbing in "Say A Prayer For Me Tonight" doesn't quite work. Chevalier and Jourdan (my God a Hollywood musical set in Paris starring three Parisians!) could not have been better and the supporting women - Gingold, Jeans, even Gabor - were perfection.

Gigi blew its competition out of the water.

An American in Paris, in comparison, is a dully plotted but ersatz-arty dated mushfest - with outstanding choreography and technique at times (it also was Minnelli, after all - all that as Gene Kelly's ass too) that was up against two enduring classics, A Place in the Sun and Streetcar.

That was also the year that, disgracefully, the Academy, in one of its biggest blunders, failed to even nominate one of the great American movies of the 50s, The African Queen, a true classic of storytelling beautifully directed by John Huston with Hepburn and Bogie at their very best. The African Queen, Place in the Sun and Streetcar were all best picture material. An American in Paris's oscar was backlot and front office navel gazing.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2409/11/2013

Are you a fool without a mind?

Gigi came about because the rights to "My Fair Lady" precluded filming for some years. So L & L wrote another piece about a young girl being turned into a society woman.

Perhaps just in retrospect, there's something unutterably creepy about Chevalier, the Nazi collaborator, singing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls." One expects him to be fondling a tiny pair of panties while he sings.

Ah, yes. I remember it well.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2509/11/2013

[quote]The African Queen, a true classic of storytelling beautifully directed by John Huston with Hepburn and Bogie at their very best.

I recently saw this for the first time when it was part of a film series at the local movie house. Wow! The place was packed - a lot of young people who seemed to really love it.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2609/11/2013

On now as gay Sunday continues on TCM.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2712/22/2013

GIGI deserved to be beet at the Oscars.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2812/22/2013

My vote goes to "The African Queen."

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 2912/22/2013

Auntie Mame. It's the most watchable. I don't mind watching Separate Tables, David Niven gets on nerves until the very end, but Deborah Kerr and Wendy Hiller are unforgetable. Cat on a a Hot Tin Roof, yuck. Gigi, boring. I don't think I have ever seen The Defiant Ones.

BTW ... Vertigo, good but overrated

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3012/22/2013

Perhaps Gigi won because the excellent dramatic competition all cancelled each other out, leaving the Oscar to the musical, which was hugely popular with the masses and a promise (unfulfilled) that the MGM musical was not dead.

An American in Paris would be nothing without its musical numbers, especially the long ballet at the end, which is a cinematic masterpiece. And I've always loved Georges Guetary singing to those chandeliered girls in I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise. And Gene Kelly dancing to I've Got Rhythym with the kids (who actually appear to be French).

If we're gonna talk about awful Parisian musicals, how about Can-Can starring the laughably Gallic Frank Sinatra and Shirley MacLaine?

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3112/22/2013

I've always found "The African Queen" to be the over-rated one, and really quite dull.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3212/22/2013

A bit of subject but ...

A lot of people in reviewing the films that won the Oscar for Best Film believe that West Side Story should not have won in 1961, West Side Story's choreography of the dance numbers are the best part of the film, but there ain't much else to recommend it.

A lot film people think that the Oscar should have gone to the Datalounge favorite, Judgement at Nuremberg. Likewise, the supporting acting Oscars should have gone to Montgomery Clift and Judy Garland for Judgement at Nuremberg and not to Rita Moreno and George Chakaris for West Side Story

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3312/22/2013

"West Side Story's choreography of the dance numbers are the best part of the film, but there ain't much else to recommend it."

People have been known to enjoy the music, the lyrics, and the story also, r33.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3412/22/2013

r33, you're really not taking in to account that in 1961, West Side Story was not the widely known and badly over-produced musical done in every high school, college and community theater it's since become.

At that time it was quite revelatory and even shocking to general audiences. They were seeing it for the very first time.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3512/22/2013

Oh good, you're all watching it too. Was the subject matter considered racy for a mainstream film at the time? Just wondering how the demimonde played in Peoria.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3612/22/2013

Sugar, the musical version of Some Like It Hot.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3712/22/2013

[quote] What should have beet Gigi for the Oscar?

Like we carrot.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3812/22/2013

'Gigi' With Vanessa Hudgens Confirmed for Broadway -

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 3901/14/2015

It was the last movie Karen Ann Quinlan ever saw...

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4001/14/2015

"Nominated that year: Gigi, Auntie Mame, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Defiant Ones, Separate Tables. Out of that pool, Gigi was hands down the most deserving winner. My pick, however, is the un-nominated Vertigo."

r9, you're absolutely right. Gigi is by far the best of the five nominees. And Vertigo was even more deserving.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4101/16/2015

[quote]it's a blatant attempt at cashing in on the success of My Fair Lady.

Not as blatant as some.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4201/16/2015

[quote]I've always found "The African Queen" to be the over-rated one, and really quite dull.

I tried to get Kate to show me her underpants, but she steadfastly refused.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4301/16/2015

Could Gigi also have been the highest-grossing of the five? That could partly account for the win.

If you're looking to swat at an undeserving winner, try Around the World in 80 Days over Giant, The King and I, Seven Samurai, or La Strada.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4401/16/2015

Jack Warner was obsessed with MY FAIR LADY and vowed to pay whatever it took to get the rights. He paid $5 million in 1962 (the equivalent of $39 million in 2014 dollars).

MGM, Freed & Minnelli didn't stand a chance.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4501/16/2015

Auntie Mame

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4601/16/2015

M-G-M would have butchered [italic]Fair Lady[/italic] if they had ever gotten their paws on it.

by VINCENT MINELLI!!!!reply 4701/16/2015
Need more help? Click Here.