Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bloomberg: front-runner in NYC mayoral race waging 'class warfare'

Oh, like HE'S one to talk!

(Reuters) - New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the Democratic front-runner to succeed him as mayor is waging a "class warfare and racist" campaign, according to an interview published on New York Magazine's website on Saturday.

Bill de Blasio, the city's public advocate who has built his campaign around the issue of rising economic inequality, has been surging in public polls, overtaking the longtime front-runner, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, a Bloomberg ally.

"Tearing people apart with this ‘two cities' thing doesn't make any sense to me," Bloomberg is quoted as saying. When the interviewer offers that de Blasio "has in some ways been running a class-warfare campaign, Bloomberg cuts in, "class warfare and racist."

He pointed out that de Blasio had used his biracial son in a campaign ad, but then conceded that for the candidate, whose wife is African-American, to reach out to black voters might be little different from Bloomberg, who is Jewish, reaching out to Jewish voters.

Pressed specifically about his use of the term "racist," Bloomberg said, "Well, no, no," before adding, "He's making an appeal using his family to gain support."

With Tuesday's primary contests looming, Bloomberg also offered a tacit endorsement of Quinn on the Democratic side and, on the Republican side, Joe Lhota, the former head of the city's mass transit agency, saying the New York Times endorsement of those candidates got it right.

"I thought the Times was right in their editorials on Lhota and Quinn. I'm very pleased about that," Bloomberg said.

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2013

I hope De Blasio will raise the taxes on anyone making more than $100,000 per year. The rich should pay 10% more in taxes.

De Balsio also said that he will freeze the rents of rent stabilized renter and create more affordable rentals.

I sure hope he gets elected so we working people will finally get a break!

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2013

Loathe him!

Gary Shteyngart ‏@Shteyngart posted this horrifying nugget from Bloomberg's interview - I LOVE Gary's simple response:

Bloomberg: "Wouldn't it be great if we could get all the Russian billionaires to move here." Um, no

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2013

The man is now, and has always been, a self-righteous asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 309/07/2013

Well, if Bloomberg hates De Blasio, the latter's poll numbers should rise even more...

by Anonymousreply 409/07/2013

More quotes at gothamist

by Anonymousreply 509/07/2013

The story is rocking the weekend. Bloomburg just gave deBlasio a huge, delicious gift.

by Anonymousreply 609/07/2013

That article is Bloomberg at his elitist, asshole best.

by Anonymousreply 709/08/2013

Sure, we'll rename Central Park after you, you odious scumbag. Even the squirrels would move to Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!