by Anonymousreply 14801/24/2014

Lye.

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2013

NOT tressemme

You'd be better off with dish soap

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2013

Pantene

by Anonymousreply 309/07/2013

If you are in Canada, the Live Clean line is wonderful. Vegan, no preserves, etc. I love the current Live Clean Professional line - Healthy Balance shampoo has really thickened my hair and keeps it nice and healthy looking.

If you are in America, I believe you can purchase Live Clean products at Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 409/07/2013

^ Worst.shampoo.ever.

by Anonymousreply 509/07/2013

Any Aussie shampoo or Finesse

by Anonymousreply 609/07/2013

Suave

by Anonymousreply 709/07/2013

Granny's lye and possum soap.

by Anonymousreply 809/07/2013

Suave dries your hair out.

by Anonymousreply 909/07/2013

Pantene coats your hair.

Try Suave Professional line.

by Anonymousreply 1009/07/2013

Body on Tap or Pert Plus

by Anonymousreply 1109/07/2013

Nothing purchased in a supermarket or drug store will treat your hair properly. I'm a strlist and I swear by three shamps/conditioners: Wella, Sebastian, and Circle Of Friends. The COF is a childrens line but is very effective on adult hair, especially the banana formula. Mop is pretty good organic line, too. Yes, pro shamp/conditioner is more expensive, but it also lasts longer. If you're using more than anything the size of a quarter (and that's very generous) to lather your hair you're washing your money down the drain. A good tip is to use your pro shampoo for 10 days, then a cheapie like White Rain from the $1 store for 2 days to remove the build-up, then go back to your pro for another 10 days. This cycle will remove product build up, as well anything environmental, and allow your shampoo and conditioners to treat your hair rather than sit on top of layers of build-up. In the end, using pro cleansing products on your hair is more economical. Drug store shampoos are loaded with waxes, fillers, derogetory oils, silicone, and do nothing but weight down your hair and prevent styling prods from being effective.

And stay away from that Wen crap.

by Anonymousreply 1209/07/2013

Crap? Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 1309/07/2013

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner. Or, Suave Almond and Shea Butter Shampoo and Conditioner.

by Anonymousreply 1409/07/2013

is it really called Hello Hydration?

I love that. So welcoming.

by Anonymousreply 1509/07/2013

I've used Pantene for a decades, is it really bad!? I have great hair, but that's just genes?

by Anonymousreply 1609/07/2013

ABBA detox shampoo. Find it on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 1709/08/2013

I don't use any sham poo.

I use real poo.

by Anonymousreply 1809/08/2013

I'm a guy with short hair and I've used everything from the expensive salon stuff to the $1 shit from the drugstore, and honestly it's all the same. I have the kind of hair that's naturally soft so I can use anything. I think if you don't have "problem" hair and your hair is just normal, you can use just about anything.

by Anonymousreply 1909/08/2013

I like the Organix line, particularly the Biotene/Collagen volumizer, which not only does the job but smells great, too!

by Anonymousreply 2009/08/2013

You should use only Kerastase products.

by Anonymousreply 2109/08/2013

I rotate Pantene, Finesse, and Herbal Essences. All are good.

by Anonymousreply 2209/08/2013

Aussie, or panteen.

by Anonymousreply 2309/08/2013

I've been using panteen since I was a teen!

by Anonymousreply 2409/08/2013

I have really thin, fine hair and I find the Aussie volumizing shampoo does the best job of making the most of what little hair I have left. I also follow r12's excellent advice of switching off to a different shampoo (Garnier Fructus because that's what I have in the house right now) for a couple of days every two weeks or so and it really sort of "wakes up" my hair.

by Anonymousreply 2509/08/2013

OP: Buy anything that causes others to wonder aloud "Does she or doesn't she?"

We know you do.

by Anonymousreply 2609/08/2013

Cheryl, you need to try Gee, Your Pussy Smells Terrific.

by Anonymousreply 2709/08/2013

PRELL and only PRELL. And make sure you pick a bottle with a big pearl in it.

by Anonymousreply 2809/08/2013

Prell could strip the paint off of a car.

by Anonymousreply 3009/08/2013

With Wen, don't you have to use a ton of product each time you wash? That's what scares me about it.

by Anonymousreply 3109/08/2013

r29 Okay, shill.

by Anonymousreply 3209/08/2013

R29 = Sells Wen and Herbalife for a lousy, second rate life.

by Anonymousreply 3309/08/2013

r32

Nope not a shill, I actually use the product

by Anonymousreply 3509/08/2013

Nope r33

I actually buy my Wen from QVC. My mom bought me my first bottle after she used it for a while and loved it. Now I am hooked.

I don't sell Wen and I do not make any money for recommending the product.

In my original post, I actually directed the OP to the official website for the product

by Anonymousreply 3609/08/2013

Joico Daily Care Balancing Shampoo.

Use stylist brands, anything you get in a drug store or Target will destroy your hair.

by Anonymousreply 3709/08/2013

r36 So, you're fucking Chaz Dean, then? Unofficially on the payroll?

by Anonymousreply 3809/08/2013

Why would anyone buy shampoo from a fly-by-night mail order company?

by Anonymousreply 3909/08/2013

WEN caused me major hair loss.

by Anonymousreply 4009/08/2013

Chaz Dean's face makes me uncomfortable. Plus, he wears his tie OVER his closed vest-that's just whack.

by Anonymousreply 4109/08/2013

None

by Anonymousreply 4209/08/2013

Suave Damage Care Shampoo and Conditioner

by Anonymousreply 4309/08/2013

Wen made my testes shrink to those of a four year old boy.

by Anonymousreply 4409/08/2013

Shave off that ugly shit, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4509/08/2013

Neutrogena build-up remover

Bumble&Bumble green

Burt's Bees Grapefruit, but seems to be discontinued

Some kind of hot oil periodically.

What was the great-smelling green apple shampoo?

by Anonymousreply 4609/08/2013

As for the Wen crap, how the hell can ANY shampoo literally make your hair fibers thicker? NO shampoo can do that. That's impossible, any hairstylist and derm, with a more advanced knowledge of hair, will tell your that.

There is a new Pantene Pro-Age serum which supposedly penetrates the hair shaft, it was tested in clinical trials and their claim, with long term use, it supposedly builds up thinning hair fibers. It's about $20+ at most drugstores.

Sure, volume shampoos can make your hair appear fuller, but it can never make the fibers literally thicker!

Wen is basically like washing you hair with a conditioner! Don't even get me started on needing so much to wash your hair, what a scam.

I know two women who use it, I haven't seen any changes in their hair since they started using Wen about three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4709/08/2013

I can't believe anyone here would use drugstore products for personal care. Is this really a gay site?

by Anonymousreply 4809/08/2013

r48

Nope

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2013

I've tried Organix, it supposedly has no SLS in it, but it does get sudsy but not overly so. Organix gets my hair clean and makes it look fuller.

I'm a guy, I wear my hair long-ish, I haven't had any problems with lack of body or dryness.

Organix comes in many formulas for different types of hair and hair textures. No one should have a problem finding the type they need. The Collagen-Biotin and the Berry-Avocado formulas are great for normal and fine hair which needs body.

Dove's clear shampoo for Volume was also fantastic, but when Dove changed the bottle design, they also changed the formula a few years ago. I now scope out the discount stores looking for the old Dove volume formula.

I can't find the new Dove Volume formula, this is the womens line I'm talking about. I can't even find a Volume formula in the mens Dove line. The drugstores only seem to carry the Dove Mens Dandruff formula.

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2013

r48 I've used both drugstore soaps and shampoos on my skin/hair as well as high-end boutique stuff and honestly I couldn't tell a difference. I got out of the high-end racket and only buy the drugstore stuff now. It's exactly the same on my skin/hair.

by Anonymousreply 5109/08/2013

All good people know that any form of racism, prejudice, oppression, and discrimination is exclusionary and vile. Examine your deep feelings of hate and learn to overcome them.

by Anonymousreply 5209/08/2013

Sorry, meant to say "Pureology."

by Anonymousreply 5309/08/2013

"I've used Pantene for a decades, is it really bad!? I have great hair, but that's just genes?"

Unfortunately, Pantene is not the same shampoo it was when it was sold in small size clear bottles with silver caps in high end department stores behind their counters.

Years ago, Pantene was made by the drug company Hoffmann-LaRoche. I'm not sure who bought Pantene after that, but today's formula is not even the same shampoo it was back in the 1980s. I can't even count how many companies have owned Pantene over the year. I think it's now owned by Unilever.

As a young boy, I used my mom's expensive Pantene, it used to be great, not anymore. Back then Pantene was not sold in drugstores.

Today's version of Pantene is awful, as are most shampoos with too much SLS, the strong sudsing agent. No ones hair gets so dirty they need all that super sudsing action, think about it.

Unless you are digging ditches or have a job where your hair gets super dirty, no one needs the amount of SLS which is added to most shampoos.

by Anonymousreply 5409/08/2013

Organix--nothing organic about it and contains paraben (wax).

I've read horror stories about Wen and major hair loss--does anyone know why?

I like the Costco Kirkland stuff becaus it is sulfate free, paraben free, gluten free, vegan and not tested on animals. No harsh scent, either.

Does anyone else like the Costco stuff?

by Anonymousreply 5509/08/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5609/08/2013

I once did a 6 month TV commercial and magazine spread on the hairgrowing product, Proceede, in the 90s. I thought it was great smelling stuff and made my hair shiny. Not sure if it is still available.

by Anonymousreply 5709/08/2013

Try Redken or Paul Mitchell. Both are affordable salon quality lines.

by Anonymousreply 5809/08/2013

Not really cheap but I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. It makes my hair feel thicker and smooth. Don't wash every day but do wet it. I only wash every 3 days or so.

by Anonymousreply 5909/08/2013

Suave and Alberto are as good as any high-priced shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 6009/08/2013

A bar of Ivory soap. If it was good enough for Granma, then it's good enough for me. btw, Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific is available from The Vermont Country Store.

by Anonymousreply 6109/08/2013

Suave almond and shea butter is great. Highly silky and moisturizing. Pantene has sodium lauryl sulfate in it. Never use this. Or alberto vo5. Same issue with this one. Its a really harsh detergent.

by Anonymousreply 6209/08/2013

Save money, use your body wash.

by Anonymousreply 6309/08/2013

Prell

VO 5

by Anonymousreply 6409/08/2013

Nioxin, but its a little pricy.

by Anonymousreply 6509/08/2013

Depends on what kind of water your home has. Water plays a big role in what your hair looks like.

by Anonymousreply 6609/08/2013

Redken? Affordable? They've doubled their prices in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 6709/08/2013

Does taking biotin help?

by Anonymousreply 6809/08/2013

Depends on your age and gender. Once a woman becomes menopausal, no shampoo or conditioner is better than another.

by Anonymousreply 6909/08/2013

I LOVE Oribe Signature Conditioner- smells so good. Such a rip off but its so pretty smelling and leaves my hair soft..

LOVE LOVE LOVE Kiehls Amino Acid Shampoo because it smells like coconut.

I also use Serge Normant products, very good stuff. Probably the best of anything I use..

One of most NASTY pricey products are Sachajuan products. They make my hair feel like brillo. I read the ingredients and they are loaded with chemicals. For 8 ounces of shampoo at $30.00 a pop, I expect more. What garbage.

by Anonymousreply 7009/08/2013

No-name brands

by Anonymousreply 7109/08/2013

Fell's Naptha. My dad used it everyday of his adult life and died at 85 with a full head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 7209/08/2013

You can get Nioxin (and other professional shampoos for that matter) for great prices at Winners and Homesense.

by Anonymousreply 7309/08/2013

Preparation H

by Anonymousreply 7409/08/2013

R64 -

Sick joke! 'Prell'

by Anonymousreply 7509/08/2013

Prell

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

LustreCreme

Halo

Drene

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

Joico moisturizing is the best shampoo I've ever used. But I don't want to spend that much money for shampoo anymore, so I just buy store brands now. The new line by L'Oreal, which they feature on Project Runway, is good.

by Anonymousreply 7809/08/2013

[quote]Years ago, Pantene was made by the drug company Hoffmann-LaRoche. I'm not sure who bought Pantene after that, but today's formula is not even the same shampoo it was back in the 1980s. I can't even count how many companies have owned Pantene over the year. I think it's now owned by Unilever.

You don't know what you are talking about. P&G bought it in 1985 and has owned it ever since.

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013

Why use shampoo? Use real poo.

by Anonymousreply 8009/08/2013

Biotin makes your hair beautiful shiny healthy. It also fucks up your nails

by Anonymousreply 8109/08/2013

[quote]Biotin makes your hair beautiful shiny healthy. It also fucks up your nails

Huh? Biotin doesn't fuck up your nails, it helps them grow and hardens them. He helps the keratin which is in both your hair and nails.

My mom, who has always been a health freak, has taken Biotin capsules for years, she takes 5000mcg a day! She swears it has saved her hair. She's an old lady but still has a full head of thick hair.

by Anonymousreply 8209/08/2013

IT helps the keratin which is in both your hair and nails.

by Anonymousreply 8309/08/2013

[quote]You don't know what you are talking about. P&G bought it in 1985 and has owned it ever since.

It doesn't really matter who the hell bought Pantene...I REPEAT, it is NOT the same luxury brand it was back in the 1970s, when it was sold at counters in high end department stores.

Even the Pantene in the early 1980s, was better than it is now. I'd buy European Pantene at the old Liquidators in the Village, Euro Pantene better than the US Pantene. The British Pantene had a Balsam shampoo which was fantastic.

Today's Pantene is a very harsh detergent filled shampoo. Period.

When Pantene were called Pantresse they had a fantastic clear setting lotion out which my sister swore by. It was called Reinforcer. People were always complimenting her on her shiny thick hair.

Not only did this product keep in a set, she also used it when she wore her hair straight, it made her hair look and feel much thicker and her hair was always super shiny.

This product came in small glass vials, in Fine, Dry and Normal formulas, it was easy to find at beauty supply shops and even Ricky's in the Village used to carry it. In fact, she'd buy it in quantity and get it at deep discounts. IIRC, it was over $1.50 a vial.

Why Pantene discontinued such a great product, which worked, is behind me, yet they continue producing sub-par hair harsh products.

by Anonymousreply 8409/08/2013

I used Pantene for forty years, but it turned my hair gray.

by Anonymousreply 8509/08/2013

Sigh, troll @ R85, NO shampoo turns hair gray. Go away. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 8609/08/2013

I actually work for QVC and you would not believe the amount of money spend on WEN. The will easily spend $70-80 a pop. I tried the Fig and still would use regular shampoo each 3 or 4 washes. To me my hair would feel like it had no life and would be oily. I went back to Redken and Aveda. I ordered Wella due to one of the earlier comments.

by Anonymousreply 8709/08/2013

R86, you cretin, did you notice that R86 sites using the stuff for 40 years, clearly making a somewhat lame joke about the cause of his/her gray hair? Your ostensible world-weary sophistication just reveals your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 8809/08/2013

R88, it's "cites," not "sites." But thanks for coming to my defense.

by Anonymousreply 8909/08/2013

VO-5...not tested on animals and it cleans my new plastic shower/tub liner to a sparkling shine and no grit.

by Anonymousreply 9009/08/2013

Shampoo.. is it paying for the brand name and advertising? I don't seem to notice a difference and I'm currently using a bottle of Kerastase that someone gave me.

by Anonymousreply 9109/08/2013

Oribe is excellent and has a great fragrance!

by Anonymousreply 9209/08/2013

R12 Thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to give wella a try.

by Anonymousreply 9309/08/2013

Body On Tap. It's fantastic. It's got, erm, beer in it.

by Anonymousreply 9409/08/2013

Whole Foods 365 brand

by Anonymousreply 9509/08/2013

If you want to spend a little money, the Rene Futurerer product line is the best I've ever used. From Paris. It is super cheap in France, if you're visiting. Worth stocking up.

by Anonymousreply 9609/08/2013

Pureology is fabulous but expensive. I use Costco's Kirkland version of pureology. it's great!

by Anonymousreply 9709/08/2013

If you are guy with short hair like me you can use anything. Or just soap. I read these shampoos and soaps are all basically the same for most people. It's all mostly marketing.

by Anonymousreply 9809/08/2013

Right, 96, I love Rene Furterer, for me it’s ideal. “Jacques Dessange” uses it. The quality of the product is very good.

by Anonymousreply 9909/08/2013

A few times a year, Ulta has a sale on their high end shampoos in liters. They have Wella, Redken, Matrix and others for something around $16. They usually have a 20% off coupon or a coupon for $3.50 off at the same time. They even give you a free pump for the bottle. One liter of shampoo lasts me almost a year with daily use on my long hair.

That said, the Kerastase line is the best I've ever used. However, the shampoo is $40 a bottle, so it's not something I use every day.

by Anonymousreply 10009/08/2013

I use sulfate free shampoo only. L'oreal makes a good one, I forget the name. First you have to get the build up of sulfates off of your hair by doing a cider vinegar rinse, actually putting some ACV on your hair and leaving it for about five minutes. Then wash with the sulfate free shampoo, and never go back. I only use conditioner about once or twice a week, and then very little, because my hair is naturally oily, and when I use too much, it gets stringy and frizzy. I've stopped using any product in my hair, and just blow dry it. I might use a dollop of anti frizz, by the same l'oreal brand that the sulfate free shampoo comes in. I get compliments every day on how shiny and bouncy my hair is. I do the ACV rinse about twice a month too, and once in a while put coconut oil on overnight to do a deep condition.

by Anonymousreply 10109/08/2013

[quote]Not really cheap but I use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. It makes my hair feel thicker and smooth. Don't wash every day but do wet it. I only wash every 3 days or so.

I tried the Nioxin shampoo my sister gave me, it did nothing for the volume and left my hair feeling coated and dull.

My sister has some thinning, she also gets her hair dyed. She was really disappointed with the Nioxin, she bought the one for color treated hair which was thinning, I forgot the number.

Not only did her dark brown hair dye bleed, she saw no difference re the volume let alone helping with the bad sheds she had at the time. She has a spell of Telogen Effluvium sheds for a year. Her sheds stopped on their own, a few months after she stopped using the Nioxin.

Nioxin didn't make her hair any fuller looking, it didn't stop the sheds and the shampoo left her hair feeling odd, she said it felt gummy and looked very limp with no shine. For such an expensive shampoo it didn't live up to it's hype.

The only positive was that the shampoo did make her scalp feel good, IIRC, it has peppermint in it.

by Anonymousreply 10209/09/2013

I cant believe in this crowd no one has suggested any of the Aveda products. I swear by Aveda Men Pure-Formance Shampoo and conditioner. My hair looks and feels the best it has in years and the products smell fantastic. I also like that it is predictable-- no "bad hair days" at all since using it. Its not a bargain, though. 300ml is 20 bucks, but use dont need tons so it does last a long time

by Anonymousreply 10309/09/2013

How is Betty Lynn behaving?

by Anonymousreply 10409/09/2013

My hair was thinning, the texture had become baby fine and fly away. At my dermatologist's suggestion, I was using rogaine and taking biotin with little results. I didn't take either of the two drugs my derm said might help, due to medical issues.

I tried every hair product or shampoo that promised any result. None of them made any significant change.

A friend suggested I try Wen. I got the teatree oil cleanser and treatment oil. Four months later my hair seems to have stopped thinning, the hair I have seems thicker, and the texture is much better. It is the only thing that has made a difference.

There seems to be a few negative posts about Wen. I didn't even know about Chaz Dean and have no interest in pushing Wen. It just worked for me. I am willing to pay for a product that helps.

by Anonymousreply 10509/09/2013

Soap

by Anonymousreply 10609/09/2013

[quote] Not only did her dark brown hair dye bleed, she saw no difference re the volume let alone helping with the bad sheds she had at the time. She has a spell of Telogen Effluvium sheds for a year. Her sheds stopped on their own, a few months after she stopped using the Nioxin.

Clearly your sister has issues with her hair; don't blame the Nioxin. It's a fabulous product. Does goat blood run in your family?

by Anonymousreply 10709/09/2013

Well, looks like it's great there are 100s of brands and varieties of shampoos to choose from since people have wildly diverse findings.

by Anonymousreply 10809/09/2013

I work in the salon industry and can tell you that Aveda and Nioxin are two of the biggest scams on the market, right next to Wen. All marketing and all philosophy. Aveda does make a few decent prods but nothing that exceeds the quality of anything other pricey brands. Aveda is for those who have to see a the exclusive brand name in their shower and Nioxin orays upon the insecurities of men with thin or thinning hair. Both just wash your $$$down the drain with the suds.

by Anonymousreply 10909/09/2013

Biolage.

by Anonymousreply 11009/09/2013

r109, what you are saying is probably very true. But what I can't stand are stylists that tell what products are crap, yet don't have any good product recommendations! Most stylists on TV do exactly what you just did, they usually are useless because they are very hesitant to give out product recommendations.

by Anonymousreply 11109/09/2013

I miss the old shampoos from the 1970s, like the green Herbal Essences shampoo, or Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific. Good times.

Does anybody remember a 70s shampoo that had beer in it? All the girls in my school had to try it when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 11309/09/2013

Prell - budget

Peter Thomas Roth - best

by Anonymousreply 11409/09/2013

I remember Breck, Lemon Up, Prell, Fabrage shampoos. They just don't make 'em like those anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11509/09/2013

Dr. Bronner's soap. Cheap, organic and multi purpose. I use it to clean the floors too.

by Anonymousreply 11609/09/2013

She told two friends, and they told two friends...

by Anonymousreply 11709/09/2013

I’ve never used Body Shop, but Lush, yes. It was Cynthia beer shampoo (if I remember correctly), it was good. I also like MoltoBene, it’s Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 11809/09/2013

I usually use Molton Brown Cleanshine Quillaja Hairwash, or sometimes L'Occitane Citrus Verbena. Mostly because they smell amazing to be honest. I don't think there's any difference in my hair if I use a cheaper brand occasionally so it's really just habit but I do love to smell nice so Molton Brown or L'Occitane for me.

by Anonymousreply 11909/09/2013

R122 Love Lush soap but I've never tried their shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 12009/09/2013

Isn't there some information somewhere about silicone in some shampoos that makes your hair fall out?

Pantene, was it?

by Anonymousreply 12109/09/2013

[quote] A friend suggested I try Wen. I got the teatree oil cleanser and treatment oil. Four months later my hair seems to have stopped thinning, the hair I have seems thicker, and the texture is much better. It is the only thing that has made a difference.

The answer to why your hair thinning stopped is....the tea tree oil possibly helped, not the Wen.

Tea tree oil works on inflammation, most hair loss is due to inflammation. Inflammation in the scalp, due to low hormones and DHT are just two of the many causes of hair loss in men or women.

People can also lose scalp hair due to skin afflictions, such as Seb Derm, psoriasis and other skin conditions.

Unfortunately most doctors either don't know this, or they do, but they don't tell their patients with hair loss, they simply give you a free box of Rogaine.

A relative is a derm, he told me, "The only proven non-surgical methods today for hair loss are Rogaine and Kenalog shots, neither work for everyone, but I have some patients with excellent results. Biotin makes the scalp hair and nails stronger. For thinning hair Biotin strengthens the fibers, Biotin cannot grow new hair in bald or thinning areas."

WEN, or any other shampoo, cannot suddenly make one's hair grow back or make the diameter of single hair fibers thicker. Any derm who knows about hair loss will tell you that.

by Anonymousreply 12209/10/2013

Try Beer-Enriched Body on Tap!

But don't drink it!

by Anonymousreply 12309/10/2013

[quote]Clearly your sister has issues with her hair; don't blame the Nioxin. It's a fabulous product. Does goat blood run in your family?

Goat's blood, WTF are you talking about, you sound like a fucking moron?!

What do 'hair issues' have to do with a protective color shampoo NOT protecting a person's dyed hair color?!

You are clueless, the Nioxin sucked, everything it was supposed to do, it did not do. It's an overpriced scam.

Amazing how so many hairstylists, who sell Nioxin in their salons, recommend it. I wonder what type of kickbacks they get from the Nioxin suppliers!

My sister also has a color sealant added by a hairstylist friend who cuts and dyes her hair, he always adds a sealant which keeps the color in longer. He also said the Nioxin is as bad as most high sudsing shampoos!

I tried the Nioxin too, it's awful. A female friend who dyes her hair, also had the same issues with the Nioxin formula for color treated hair, her color came out and it made her hair feel gummy, with no 'ooomph' or shine.

by Anonymousreply 12409/10/2013

R113, Body on Tap! And remember Short n' Sassy? Dorothy Hamill was their spokeswoman. The hairstyle that launched my mother's look for the entirety of the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 12509/10/2013

Marshall's and TJ Maxx often have Redken, Joico and Matrix products. I stock up on my Joico shampoo for $15 for one of the really big bottles (regular retail price is $30 and up).

by Anonymousreply 12609/10/2013

As far as the scalp cooling effects of Nioxin, which was the only good thing about Nioxin, consumers can get the same scalp cooling from the much lower priced John Frieda Root Awakening.

Root Awakening has menthol, peppermint and eucalyptus in it.

Unfortunately, the company appears to have changed the formulas, all I was able to find lately was the Dry hair formula. There was a Restore formula for fragile chemically processed hair and Normal.

Root Awakening soothes the scalp, it also makes your hair shiny and fuller looking, not to mention feel clean without that squeaky stripped feel.

The new Dry hair formula is OK but it seems to have too much oil in it for people with normal hair.

I don't understand why so many hair product companies change their formulas, especially when the public are satisfied with the existing formulas.

by Anonymousreply 12709/10/2013

Pureology and Kerastase for me. They are very expensive, but you need only a small amount as their formulas are so concentrated.

by Anonymousreply 12809/10/2013

Joico is very good and not too expensive. I wouldn't recommend any drugstore brand as they are all harsh and watered down garbage.

by Anonymousreply 12909/10/2013

Palmolive dish detergent and a washtub of cold water.

by Anonymousreply 13009/11/2013

R109 Please name a good brand/product for coarse, thick hair? How would you rate Paul Mitchell and Nexxus?

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 13109/11/2013

[quote]Joico is very good and not too expensive. I wouldn't recommend any drugstore brand as they are all harsh and watered down garbage.

I guess you are not aware that many drugstores, such as Rite Aid Walgreen's, do have sections featuring higher end brands.

I've seen many high end hair products including Keratese, Matrix, Pureology and most of the high end brands mentioned here, except Nioxin, I only see Nioxin in beauty supply stores.

by Anonymousreply 13209/11/2013

[quote]Whole Foods 365 brand

I use the 365 brand fragrance free shower gel on both body and hair. Works great.

20 years ago, when I was young and had lots of hair, I used a Nexxus shampoo. That was the only brand I ever perceived making a real difference in the look and condition of my hair. Everything else is just a detergent.

by Anonymousreply 13309/11/2013

Protein 21 shampoo. It repairs split ends and all of the cool kids use it.

by Anonymousreply 13409/13/2013

Another vote for Live Clean Shampoo and Conditioners.

Apple Cider shampoo for clear clean hair and oily scalp, or they make great shampoo for moisturizing, damaged or colour treated hair. Conditioners are available, but only if you need them.

I am not down with the salon boutique shit. Hair care, like most everything else about our bodies is about genetics and common sense. No product for hair, skin or body should ever cost more than twenty dollars, including face creams and cleansers. Words from me and my expert dermatologist. The rest is all hype and packaging.

The Live Clean products are organic, 100 percent plant derived, biodegradable, affordable and effective. I am impressed with them. Nice shampoo on my thick dark curly hair, with summer and winter change ups. About 8 bucks a bottle.

by Anonymousreply 13509/13/2013

Prell

by Anonymousreply 13609/13/2013

Nioxin is great, but expensive. I don't think there are good shampoos that are economical. I think you have to spend a little in order to get a good shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 13709/13/2013

Is Alterna shampoo worth the $$? I like Amplify and Wella.

by Anonymousreply 13809/18/2013

Now that Moroccan oil is all the rage, does anyone use it and think it is worth the hype?

by Anonymousreply 13901/22/2014

i never use shampoo. i scrub my scalp with a cleansing conditioner with tea tree or rosemary..mint, etc. it's the same concept as chaz dean only cheap. you can find the mint/tea tree shampoo anywhere, including whole foods, cvs, etc. just scrub really hard and get it into your scalp, let it sit there for a few minutes and rinse. i promise your hair will be so much healthier w/o the shampoo element.

by Anonymousreply 14001/22/2014

r140, Trader Joe's make a tea tree shampoo my husband swears by. It us clear though and not meant to be moisturizing but he loves it.

by Anonymousreply 14101/22/2014

I like to use L'Oreal Men Expert 2 in 1. I find it leaves my slightly dry, naturally curly hair really soft. I don't get those little fuzzies sticking up when I use it.

by Anonymousreply 14201/22/2014

R141, I was just about to post that I use Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo and conditioner. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 14301/22/2014

The shampoo with the purple kangaroo? Can't remember the name, but it's a great shampoo!

by Anonymousreply 14401/22/2014

yes r143! i love that shampoo. it's white with green letters. i use the conditioner only but it's very cleansing and makes your hair like silk.

by Anonymousreply 14501/22/2014

r144 that is one of the millions of Aussie shampoos out there- put some Roo in your do!I loved their Mega line but it get discontinued because it had antifreeze(!) in it.

by Anonymousreply 14601/22/2014

Whatever shampoo you use, read the labels, don't go buying something just because it smells good. People don't seem to realize that nearly every product in the health and beauty isle of the grocery store contain one or more carcinogenic chemicals in its formulation. The link below lists shampoos and soaps containing cocamide DEA (a known carcinogen). Of course this report and the list of suspect shampoos to avoid never made it to the attention of the mainstream media.

The chemical industry in the USA is largely unregulated and I swear that the formulations for shampoos change based on whatever toxic chemical is most readily available (i.e. cheapest) at the time of bottling. Shampoos are constantly being reformulated to use the cheapest ingredients and certain chemicals go in and out of fashion based on industry's ability to make a large profit off producing the chemical. Titanium dioxide was highly profitable, yet carcinogenic and is still found in many soaps (Lever 2000) even though it is bad for you. The chemical industry convinces you that their products make you pretty when in fact they are making you sick.

by Anonymousreply 14701/24/2014

I've tried so many "natural" shampoos and they were a bunch of horseshit. They may have been natural, but they left my hair feeling dried out and tangled.

by Anonymousreply 14801/24/2014
Need more help? Click Here.