Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

In your opinion, what are some good and bad things about Datalounge?

The Good: I think I've broadened my horizon. The posters at datalounge are a group of people who I most likely would never interact with in real life (or very rarely) because most of them are not so young (I'm 22).

It's like going to 24/7 party, there is always someone to talk to.

No responsibility because we are all unregistered.

Very welcoming atmostphere.

The bad: Way too many threads on shit like Miley Cyrus and entertainment industry threads. I mean seriously, who cares about those low-lives.

Too distracting (read above).

Overall, I give DL a 8/10

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013

It's the Baked Potato Bar of pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2013

I am old and admit my sexual transgressions here. They are all truthful, yet, many do not believe them. For me, it is a way to tell my truths anonymously

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2013

You're so cute, OP.

by Anonymousreply 409/07/2013

Well, the web"master" is a fickle bitch.

Hell will freeze over before she gets another 18 from me!

by Anonymousreply 509/07/2013

Good things:

*Can be very funny when posters take things lightly

*Lots of quick responses to the news (you find out things breaking here faster than anywhere)

*Good wealth of information about popular and high culture

Bad things:

*People taking out the stresses of the day by being gratuitously nasty to other posters just for shits and giggles

*People being unwilling to let things go (not only feuds with one another on a thread, which is always ridiculous, but their private obsessions)

*Any discussion of race, which is impossible to do here reasonably

by Anonymousreply 609/07/2013

Good: I like the vibe here. Other message boards I visit lean too old & conservative, or too young and militantly PC. DL has its looney extremists, of course, but generally speaking it's a more intelligent, relaxed board than most.

Bad: PRIME TIME. I'm unemployed so I don't have $18 to fritter away at the moment. I don't understand how it can be prime time at 1 AM when the traffic on the board has slowed to a crawl.

by Anonymousreply 709/07/2013

I just discovered DL a few weeks ago. Now can't live without it. Love hearing from the older guy's celeb stories. Also the political and current events are great too.

The ability to post personal questions and concerns is great too.

Don't love the high level of bitchery from some of the posters toward other posters. That should be saved for the subjects of the posts!!!

One of the best part for me is the Broadway stuff. So much more fun than ATC.

Best of all some of the responses have me in fits of laughter.

DL is very addictive. I decided to contribute $$ after only a few days.

by Anonymousreply 1009/07/2013

R7, I use to be a paying member for years. But I found this year spending less and less time on this site. When it came time to renew, I decided against doing so.

I now realize why the site is so dead. For the first time in years I was without a subscription, and I swear it's been primetime for over a month. This is the first time I've been able to post in what seems like a few months.

I am not as addicted to this site as I use to be. I pop in on here a couple times a week (I use to check DL daily) but now I understand why it seems so dead - it's on PT too much.

by Anonymousreply 1109/07/2013

Because of the wide knowledge and experience of our members any question gets an answer. We include actors, servers, lawyers, doctors, and everyone in between, all willing to contribute their expertise.

by Anonymousreply 1309/07/2013

It's a place I come to learn.

I will never again wrongly type 1960's.

by Anonymousreply 1409/07/2013

Good: I discovered I am not the only unhappy, lonely gay man in the world. Bad: I discovered I am 100% responsible to fix my situation

by Anonymousreply 1509/07/2013

The editor is a wonderful and kind person

by Anonymousreply 1609/07/2013

[quote]Another negative: posters who actually contribute something, like Lynn Stairmaster and charlie, get jeered at and derided and eventually leave.

Charlie contributed nothing but the wheezings of an elderly namedropper.

by Anonymousreply 2109/07/2013

Good things - earrings

Bad things - caftans

by Anonymousreply 2209/07/2013

Not enough caftans and earrings.

by Anonymousreply 2309/07/2013

Good: Almost EVERYTHING! LOVE the names people give themselves; current favorite: "Simon Halls' Fist." I crack up every time i see!(realize this may be a minority opinion.)

Bad: Agree with the comments re Primetime. I do not have control of my money anymore (long story), including credit or debit cards (family uses my SSD to pay my bills; save $$ for me; I get an allowance.)

BUT: I am stealthily saving up $$ to take a bus to the "big city" (27,000 people, ha-ha) in a few months and get a $300 Walmart prepaid debit card - then: I'll be back as a member!

(not making any of this up!)

by Anonymousreply 2609/07/2013

[bold]Good:[/bold] LGBT persons

[bold]Bad:[/bold] The formatting. Many times I've fucked up with not realizing I didn't close the italics until it was already too late. It's been traumatizing.

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2013

Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Finance for Gay Men (learned about Bogleheads)

Insights from real celebrities who post here and those who know real celebrities

Support for other gay men and lesbians

Understanding how feminism is anti-gay male.

Given a space from the webmaster so we can congregate and discuss things that are important to us as gay men and women.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2013

I like that I'm able to post here about imaginary relatonships with stars I've worked with, feeding all sorts of bits of interesting gossip and such. And everyone believes I'm telling the truth!

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2013

Interesting guys with encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture of the last 60-70 years.

Gratuitous nastiness that's better suited to a locked ward;

Attacks by the mentally ill on several authenticated posters.

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2013

Oh yes, R35. My straight male family members and their friends say some of the craziest things about women. It's like they don't like them but are obsessed with them at the same time. And a funny thing I notice about them is they like to act like they are in charge of their relationships and run things. But when they're alone with their gf's or wives they act totally different.

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2013

The misogyny claims are so fucking overblown. Why ARE straight women coming here of all places to rant about Jeremy Renner's baby mama, or about how Benedict and Tom are too good for every woman with whom they're linked?

The racism(real or trolling) and the political trolls in general are much worse.

by Anonymousreply 4009/07/2013

Good: Lively camaraderie and fun conversations!

Bad: The trolls that deliberately provoke, smear, and impersonate.

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2013

Good things: Access to the knowledge and opinions of interesting people that don't think the pop culture of the last 20 years is the eternal peak of human achievement.

Bad things: Anonymity attracts clueless closet cases and self haters, racist trolls, and straight people that google search celebrities. Also, the world's shittiest lesbians seem to feel at home here.

by Anonymousreply 4209/08/2013

You can swear on here, kiddo.

by Anonymousreply 4409/08/2013

Good: It's always entertaining.

Bad: Some posters here are elitist, racist and entitled.

Good: You can always get the latest dish on celebs whether it's gay, straight or otherwise.

Bad: There is constant bullying and misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 4609/08/2013

It's not bullying, it's bickering and fraus like you are annoying. Intelligent straight women are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 4709/08/2013

The Miley Cyrus shit belongs on Yahoo or Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 4809/08/2013

Good: And enjoyable place to chat with others on a wide array of topics.

Bad: I've never been quite sure if the racism, sexism, and self loathing is real or other posters fucking with the board to get a reaction.

Bad: Even after all this time, I still miss the days when the threads moved faster and everyone had 24/7 access.

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2013

OP, you seem very mature for your age. Bravo. I definitely wasn't that perceptive or analytical when I was your age. (I'm old enough to be your grandfather now.)

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2013

I take care of all my straight people and you help me cope.

by Anonymousreply 5109/08/2013

Another good thing - when it's working, the conversation here moves fast enough that someone is right there to point out what you forgot.

Thanks r52, I should've mentioned that the pathetic hatefulness of DL's resident losers also includes anti-Semtism.

by Anonymousreply 5409/08/2013

It didn't take long for R52/R55 to reveal his pathology, thereby perfectly illustrating all the negative things people in this thread are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5609/08/2013

[quote]This place is a cesspool but I keep coming back year after year.

I can't stand posters who spend time here but think they're better than the rest of us. You just know they're the same type who take over the gay bars with their bachelorette parties.

Would you go to a Ku Klux Klan meeting and say, "The people here make me sick, but they sure know some funny jokes!"? Or, "These NAMBLA members should all be put to death, but they make the best snacks in town!"?

Don't kid yourselves. If you swim around the cesspool, you're going to stink just as much as its contents.

by Anonymousreply 5809/08/2013

And this person is claiming to be a straight femme. Somebody feels entitled.

by Anonymousreply 6209/08/2013

If we want to read "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" (which you appear to have been dipping into, either directly or indirectly), we know where to find it, R63.

by Anonymousreply 6409/08/2013

"Study it out," as the Mormons like to quote their Book.

by Anonymousreply 6709/08/2013

I'm Catholic and kinda new to DL, an elder. I wouldn't mind getting into a debate with pro-Israeli, anti-Israeli, etc., but I'm told I shouldn't venture into such a discussion on DL for the fear of being dismissed.

Can we not have such discussions, even yell-fests here? We might learn something.

by Anonymousreply 6909/08/2013

R68 = shitstirring troll.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

by Anonymousreply 7109/08/2013

OK, I'll go first:

My Catholic cut dick is bigger than your Yentl cut dick.

by Anonymousreply 7309/08/2013

Go take your meds, Yassir.

by Anonymousreply 7509/08/2013

This is why we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

What r66 said. I'm rather put-off by the number of threads on teenage bullshit celebrities. Given the average age of Datalounge posters, I find it quite concerning as well.

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

I liked this thread at first... Still like the DL.

by Anonymousreply 7809/08/2013

[quote]Understanding how feminism is anti-gay male.

Can you explain it to me, R36?

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!