Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Yorkers Aren't Rude. You Are.

Here's a great article about the perceived rudeness of New Yorkers and how it's actually the tourists who are often the inconsiderate ones.

I know many here like to persecute New Yorkers, so perhaps those people should read this and think about it before they go on the attack next time.

by Anonymousreply 4009/09/2013

Hard to take seriously, when it's written by a New Yorker who trashes !A in his first paragraph. What a crock of shit.

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2013

I don't really care about who is rude or not rude and why.

This piece reads like a Jeff Foxworthy routine.

"You might be a redneck if..."

Instead

"You might be a New Yorker if..."

"You might be a tourist in New York if..."

Maybe the author should concentrate on finishing his dissertation.

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2013

Fuck New York.

by Anonymousreply 309/07/2013

oh the delusion

by Anonymousreply 409/07/2013

Thank you New Yorker pretending to be Australian for the obligatory," I'm form ___________ and didn't find New Yorkers rude at all" post.

by Anonymousreply 709/07/2013

Here we go, tourist bashing again.

Forget the fact that New Yorkers live in one of the most visited cities on earth. Everyone who lives in NYC now was at one time a tourist to NYC, since NYC is full of transplants.

Forget the fact that tourism is a multi-billion dollar industry that provides thousands of jobs for citizens of NYC.

If you can't handle dealing with tourists, than maybe you should move to Lubbock, TX.

by Anonymousreply 1009/07/2013

r2 has it right. Back in the day, when NY was something, NYers wouldn't have given two shits about this sort of defensive, Foxworthy-level humor. Now it seems like attitude is all they've got.

What was the last interesting play, book, band, artist, or star to come out of NY? Yeah. Thought not. Sneering at tourists is all they have left.

by Anonymousreply 1109/07/2013

It's a city of strangers, some come to work, some to play.

by Anonymousreply 1309/07/2013

MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 1509/07/2013

I did not find New Yorkers to be helpful because less than half of them speak English.

by Anonymousreply 1809/07/2013

Honey, I can write an article for HuffPost declaring water isn't wet; but that doesn't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 1909/07/2013

Most of the egregious acts that the author mentioned are also committed by NYers every day, so I don't know why he's just focused on tourists.

However, I have noticed that foreign tourists, in the past few years, have become much more rude. In the past, they tended to be more educated and politer than the average tourist. These days many of the young ones are just as entitled and spoiled as the worst of the Americans. They act much like the ugly American tourist (abroad) of many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2109/07/2013

[quote]And yet, every day I see tourists and just general social malefactors who stop in the middle of sidewalks, who hold up entire subway trains because they try to force the doors open, who block a stairwell or who try to get on a subway car before they let anyone else off. This is a sense of entitlement that the pace of this city cannot abide.

He thinks it's only tourists doing that? He should meet my mother. She's lived in NYC her entire life but still is oblivious to how her moves affect those around her.

by Anonymousreply 2209/07/2013

New Yorkers are such assholes. On Grindr, when they visit my city, they always make comments in their profiles about how much they hate it here. Then they change the profile a few hours later to say how cold and unfriendly my city is.

by Anonymousreply 2309/07/2013

This guy is so off base about it being tourists who hold the subway doors open. They are usually scared to do that its the New Yorkers who do it, and frankly its just part of the gig it happens all the time always has and a real New Yorker should get used to it.

As far as tourists standing in the sidewalk oblivious, yes this is true and is annoying. But not as annoying as the entitled satc wannabe mothers with their double wide strollers and cell phones taking up the entire sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 2509/07/2013

Rudeness isn't the problem, it's my huge stardom that makes New York impossible.

by Anonymousreply 2609/07/2013

You are not getting the point, R25. This thread is supposed to be about how tourists are responsible for all of the rudeness in NYC. Don't admit that the natives do anything wrong.It doesn't prove the point we're trying to hammer home- Everything bad in the city is caused by tourists.

by Anonymousreply 2709/07/2013

So.... when NYers walk down the street with their friends, if they have any, they do so in a single-file line?

bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2809/07/2013

[quote]Most of the egregious acts that the author mentioned are also committed by NYers every day, so I don't know why he's just focused on tourists.

This. I've barreled into more than one of my fellow NYers when they have barged into the subway car without letting others off, or stopped right at the top of the subway stairs to check their phone messages, light a cig, or whatever. People who do these things are not always tourists who don't understand the rules; just as often they are rude-assed New Yorkers who can't be bothered to pay attention to anything other than their own needs.

by Anonymousreply 2909/07/2013

Why did the writer feel the need to take a low shot @ "LA"? To make New York look better?

by Anonymousreply 3109/07/2013

Eight simple rules would make things easier in NYC

1. Stay to the right...on the sidewalk and in the subway stair cases. It used to be that everyone seemed to understand this simple idea and the flow of people on the sidewalks and subways was less hectic

2. When you reach the top of the stairs or escalator do not stop dead in your tracks(this happens so much) to determine your next move. Continue walking and then move to the side if you need to stop.

3. Let them off...then get on(the bus, subway car). And it's the not the end of the world if you don't get on first.

4. Let old people, disabled, mother's with children go ahead of you...it's good karma.

5. Give you seat to old people in the subway. I see these guy guys who will not move for a grandmother who obviously needs to sit down.

6. Don't block the sidewalk intersections. This is not a good location for a conversation.

7. If someone hold the door for you say thank you. Hold the door for someone. If you bump into someone apologize.

8. Don't walk and text. Move to the side and text.

This is for all New Yorkers and visitors. I have lived in Manhattan for over 20 years and find that the simple rules that used to be observed are not paid much attention to today; it makes it feel like a free for all.

by Anonymousreply 3209/07/2013

(32) here

#5 That's suppose to be 'young guys' not 'guys guys.'..duh #5 your seat/ not you seat # 7 holds/ not hold the door

sorry for typos.

by Anonymousreply 3309/07/2013

Well how about this? New Yorkers are the worst tourists! I should know, I have to deal with many New Yorkers who visit my city, and I work in the tourism industry here in my town.

My least favorite thing asshole New Yorkers always point out is Italian food. "Can you suggest a good Italian restaurant? We're from New York, so we expect...blah blah blah." And then they review the restaurant on Yelp: "We're from New York, so we know good Italian." Fine. Go to goddamned Maggiano's because NOTHING will ever be as good as your blessed pasta in New York.

Fuck you. Fuck the fuck out of you.

New Yorkers cannot go ANYWHERE, London, Paris, Tokyo, without looking down their long ass snob noses at anyplace that is not New York.

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2013

Issues, R34?

by Anonymousreply 3709/08/2013

New York, I used to respect you...

by Anonymousreply 3809/08/2013

Tourists—and most people in general, including New Yorkers—suffer from what I call Center-of-the-Universe syndrome...

"I'm in hurry, so everyone else should be too!" Or, "I've got all the time in the world, so no one else should be in a rush either."

People tend to be self-centered and myopic.

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2013

Don't live in NYC. Every time I visit the city, people are very nice, friendly, really, never met a single person with an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 4009/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.