Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bad Bet: Why Republicans Can't Win With Whites Alone

[bold][italic]Obama lost key groups of white voters by the largest margins since the 1980s, but that doesn't mean Republicans can rely on whites to retake the White House.[/italic][/bold]

By Ronald Brownstein, [italic]National Journal[/italic] (09.05.2013)

This much is undisputed: In 2012, President Obama lost white voters by a larger margin than any winning presidential candidate in U.S. history. In his reelection, Obama lost ground from 2008 with almost every conceivable segment of the white electorate. With several key groups of whites, he recorded the weakest national performance for any Democratic nominee since the Republican landslides of the 1980s.

In 2012, Obama won a smaller share of white Catholics than any Democrat since Jimmy Carter in 1980; lost groups ranging from white seniors to white women to white married and blue-collar men by the widest margin of any Democrat since Ronald Reagan routed Walter Mondale in 1984; and even lost among Democratic-leaning college-educated women by the widest margin since Michael Dukakis in 1988, according to the latest National Journal analysis of the trends that shape the allegiances of American voters.

And yet, behind rousing support from minorities everywhere, and often much more competitive showings among whites in both Democratic-leaning and battleground states, Obama not only won reelection but won fairly comfortably.

Few decisions may carry greater consequences for the Republican Party in 2016 than how it interprets these facts. The key question facing the GOP is whether Obama's 2012 performance represents a structural Democratic decline among whites that could deepen even further in the years ahead—or a floor from which the next Democratic nominee is likely to improve.

[MORE...]

by Anonymousreply 809/07/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 109/07/2013

The Refugs will now have to find better ways to rig the next presidential election.

by Anonymousreply 209/07/2013

Doesn't matter, my man. Look at birthrates, THOSE are the people that put him over. It's those demographics that have to be courted from now on. I love it that the Pubbies still have no clue what to do. They'll be goin' down with the ship, utterly clueless.

by Anonymousreply 309/07/2013

This is why I'll never understand all the racism on DataLounge and all the posts insisting that blacks and Hispanics are our enemies. If elections were up to whites only, Republicans would win by huge margins every single time and the Democratic Party would no longer be a viable party.

Also, the fact that Obama lost white voters by the largest margin of any winning presidential candidate in history seems to suggest that racism is still very much alive. Some whites who would normally vote Democratic simply could not bring themselves to vote for a black man.

by Anonymousreply 509/07/2013

Oh I understand it R5. Entitled, hypocritical white queens. That's all. Nothing less, and certainly nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 609/07/2013

And yet you still won't flush that fucking toilet, R6

by Anonymousreply 709/07/2013

In the last election Hispanics were 11% of total voters and AA were 15%, nearly a third combined ( add in Asians and a few other groups and it's probably over a third). You had a third of the electorate going heavily for the democrat. I have no idea how Repugs expect to win on a national level at this point. And their association with Fox News and other internet media sites is destroying them.

by Anonymousreply 809/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.