Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So you don't want to go to the ghetto? There's an app for that now!

'Ghetto Tracker,' App That Helps Rich Avoid Poor, Is As Bad As It Sounds

In less than 24 hours, a new app tactfully titled Ghetto Tracker--a service seeking to help people identify safe areas in unfamiliar cities--has already garnered enough backlash to prompt an immediate name change to Good Part of Town.

However, the PR move may not do much to alter the public's reception of the app, which critics are slamming as a racist, classist app for helping the rich to avoid the poor.

The app functions by allowing locals to rate the safety of different parts of a given area. According to The Week, the original launch of the page featured a white family of four smiling alongside the app's promise to show users "which parts of town are safe and which ones are ghetto, or unsafe."

In addition to the name change, all mention of the word "ghetto" has been removed from the site. The site now features an ethnically diverse family on its homepage.

In an email sent to Gawker, the app's team said it changed the name in response to emails from a woman whose family had been contained in an actual World War II ghetto and one from a man who grew up in a struggling area and went on to graduate from college and overcome his upbringing.

"I can't be held responsible for the assumptions people may make in regards to factors like race and income," the letter to Gawker continued. "I've seen comments on blogs and in twitter that are trying to say this is encouraging racism or social stratification and that was never our intention."

by Anonymousreply 2809/07/2013

The name of the app was stupid but honestly, who wants to accidently drive into a section of a city that's unsafe? Not PC but I'd rather be safe.

by Anonymousreply 209/06/2013

Was that young couple that was raped, tortured and murdered by that group of guys just out of jail in a bad part of town?

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2013

One time we drove into a bad area of Philly. We turned around and were about to get out when the cops pulled us over and gave us a hard time. They thought were were there to buy drugs.

by Anonymousreply 709/07/2013

I guess they could have been more PC with the name but there is nothing wrong with this. Why doesn't a person have a right to want to stay out of bad areas where they could get hurt?

Anyways GPS systems have been doing this for years now. This one just got some bad press for the silly choice of names. Well good bad press anyway. Since being mentioned in HuffPo they probably doubled their sales.

by Anonymousreply 1009/07/2013

It is for Apple devices only.

by Anonymousreply 1209/07/2013

How many blacks are randomly shot and killed in white neighborhoods?

by Anonymousreply 1409/07/2013

Good news for Cory Booker. According to the website, Newark is completely safe.

by Anonymousreply 1709/07/2013

Now I don't have to set foot in the Upper West Side ever again!

by Anonymousreply 2109/07/2013

Poor people are HILARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 2409/07/2013

I would like to avoid getting raped, having my dick and balls ripped off, and dying in front of my girlfriend before she is brutally raped, tortured and mutilated, with bleach poured into the open wounds in her vagina and anus and also down her throat before she was finally killed.

It's called the 'Channon Treatment' right?

If the app keeps me away from where that might happen, I think it's a good investment.

by Anonymousreply 2509/07/2013

I know, it's just my evil mind working, but don't you think that the real purpose of the app -- it was called "Ghetto Tracker," after all -- was to help confused out-of-towners find the best place to score street drugs and then make a quick getaway? After all, I gather that this device not only i.d.s "safe" areas but points out the "unsafe" ones as well . . . just in case you want to head over there at 2 a.m. for a quick transaction.

by Anonymousreply 2709/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!