Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Does America Have To Get Drawn Into The Whole Syria Mess?

Why do we continually have to play the role of global playground cop - and shell out billions on military expenditures - while the rest of the civilized world (which supposedly shares our respect for human rights and democratic aspirations) does nothing AND is allowed to spend its tax revenues on building social safety nets for their respective societies that Americans can only dream of?

by Anonymousreply 6009/09/2013

Exactly OP. Plenty of domestic problems here in the states that could use the billion$ of $$ in funding that will go to policing another obscure country.

by Anonymousreply 109/06/2013

We need to stay the hell out of that mess. Nothing good will come from U.S. involvement.

by Anonymousreply 209/06/2013

R1 and R2 are correct, no good can come of this.

There are probably oil industry issues behind it all.

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2013

They want the oil.

by Anonymousreply 409/06/2013

Those fucking Sunni Muslims are fucking nuts and I really don't want to encourage them, on the other hand Assad will stop at nothing to stay in power but his regime is the lesser of two evils . I don't see how US intervention will help the situation.

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2013

we have weapons to sell. without perpetual war, our economy collapses. again.

by Anonymousreply 709/06/2013

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the fact that the U.S. gov't. does not represent the U.S. people anymore.

NPR interviewed former Secretary Paulson about his and Bernake's behavior when Lehmans crashed. He kept trying to say that everything he did was done for the American people (bailout, etc.). It was the most unconvincing thing I ever heard. He pretty much unintentionally admitted that Wall Street multi-millionaires are too powerful to really take on at this point, U.S. politicians are in their pockets. They are also complicit. They know what is going to happen before it happens, allowing them and the financiers to profit by making smart investments ahead of time.

Is there any point where the American people will stand up for themselves? Or are we so fat and lazy that we're all just veal cows waiting to be slaughtered?

by Anonymousreply 809/06/2013

I agree. How about they solve their own fucking problems? And how about the US government worry about its' own people, like those of us who can't even get a fucking minimum wage job?

by Anonymousreply 909/06/2013

Military industrial complex.

Halliburton is salivating.

Cheney has that sneer on his face. He's rubbing his hands together while he thinks of all the money he's going to make.

by Anonymousreply 1209/06/2013

I'm informed, r11. You're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2013

He always proposes the draft. It never goes anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2013

Everyone knows Charlie Rangel is a loon. We're going to have the draft because he's been saying that for years? I don't think so .

by Anonymousreply 1709/06/2013

We'll never have the draft because the powers that be are quite content having the lower classes fighting their wars, without the ruling class having to send their own kids in to lose legs and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2013

We have no interests or friends to protect in Syria. I know it is wrong but part of me is content to let those people rip each other apart. That part of the world is going through its own turmoil and our involvement will improve nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2013

A draft with no exceptions sounds like a good idea to me. If the sons of Greenwich, Connecticut, and Chappaqua, New York, were required by law to service in the military, you can bet this country would never go to war ever again.

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

Exactly, r18, that's why public schooling is not a priority. Keep the citizens stupid, keep pay low; resulting in the desperation that keeps the armed forces with new bodies to fight the wars for our corporate political kings and lords.

by Anonymousreply 2109/06/2013

Exactly. Hence we get proposals to repeal the national education requirement. We get a push for a national attitude adjustment that 'science is bad'. It's so short sighted, because the U.S. is already falling behind in so many areas that other countries are researching but we are not.

The thing is, though, that the ruling class is wealthy enough that they are really trans-national. If the U.S. declines, that's fine, their money has been in international banks for years and they have multiple citizenships to choose from. It's so sad.

by Anonymousreply 2209/06/2013

When the Pope is backing Putin, I get worried!

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2013

[quote] I think people are too stressed out and depressed to even consider that we are no longer a democracy.

that's the idea. it worked well for thousands of years, then in the 20th century, the poor started getting uppity. time to smack that shit down.

by Anonymousreply 2609/06/2013

there will be no draft. there are enough desperate young people willing to enlist in the service these days. one of the many reasons the economic crash was engineered btw.

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2013

[quote]If the sons of Greenwich, Connecticut, and Chappaqua, New York, were required by law to service in the military, you can bet this country would never go to war ever again.

Remember how in previous generations a family's honor was at stake if the sons did not serve? In WW2 and previously it would bring shame if the males of age did not fight for their country. Something serious has changed. The elite, as someone upthread said, is now transnational. They feel no allegiance to their country, which also explains why they gladly beggar the rest of the country through outsourcing, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2013

[quote]If the sons of Greenwich, Connecticut, and Chappaqua, New York, were required by law to service in the military, you can bet this country would never go to war ever again.

Before you all dismiss Charles Rangel, as I remember him explain it back during the run-up to the Iraq war, THIS is the exact reason why he said he always proposes bringing back the draft whenever we find ourselves yet again on the brink of war: he said if the draft was reinstated and the sons and daughters of Wall Street had to go fight these insane wars, the likelihood that the U.S. would keep getting involved in all this insanity around the world would drop like a rock. He said he knows full well it's never going to happen but that putting it out there every time is an attempt to make this point.

by Anonymousreply 2909/06/2013

r23, so do I !!

by Anonymousreply 3009/06/2013

[quote]t's so short sighted, because the U.S. is already falling behind in so many areas that other countries are researching but we are not. The thing is, though, that the ruling class is wealthy enough that they are really trans-national.

Americans have ALWAYS been behind the learning curve, they just were rich enough not to care.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2013

You would think that the President would want to go on TV to convince people that we need this war.

by Anonymousreply 3209/08/2013

He just started a media blitz of video of poor suffering Syrians, which Dianne Feinstein went to great effort to organize even though all of her constituency has told her NO to this war.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2013

"There are people dying. It's time to lend a hand to life, the greatest gift of our all".

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2013

R24 LOL! As if you are not a racist!

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2013

We are going to bomb a big chunk of Syria's conventional (not chemical) arms to make the point that WM D's should not be used - not be used against his people; not be used against our allies (ahem).

Obama wants the world to join him in coordinated action establishing this precedent in advance of plans by (xxxredactedxxx) to do the latter. [Thank you NSA / Snowden.]

We're Not going to decide this civil war. Assad will be hampered, but not eliminated. He, somewhat weakened, and his opponents will continue their battles long after our attack - God help the Syrian people. It will just continue with the implicit threat that if he uses chemical weapons again, we will bomb the shit out of another 1/3 of his fleet.

As to ending the war - if possible - that will be left to the UN.

by Anonymousreply 3709/09/2013

It's nothing to do with oil, which Syria doesn't really produce and the US, now in a shale gas upswing making the US as significant energy exporter. In fact, if any country's position in this issue is determined by oil, it's China's and they have explicitly said they're worried about the impact of a war on oil prices.

It's to do with stupidity, especially since he appointed that moron Samantha Power as US ambassador to the UN.

by Anonymousreply 3809/09/2013

R12 and R25 are correct. The war machine is a perfect way to steal money from tax payers, if a billionaire tells you I am not rich enough and I need you to give me your money, you probably will tell him fuck off, but through war, they successfully steal from you and there is nothing you can do here.

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2013

The rich have always had a way to keep their kids from the draft.

by Anonymousreply 4109/09/2013

What if they gave a war and nobody showed up?

by Anonymousreply 4309/09/2013

Maybe we the people will finally put our foot down.

by Anonymousreply 4409/09/2013

Al Franken is a fucking hypocrite. WTF kind of Democrat votes to cut food stamps from those already hungry and votes to spend trillions for wars and multi billions for big business farms. Franken like Obama is a pretend Democrat and in reality just another disgusting Republican.

We desperately need a real Liberal 3rd party that can win. I guess that will happen the day after NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 4509/09/2013

R46 = Walmart greeter.

by Anonymousreply 4709/09/2013

R46, Pardon me but there are a significant number of straight white females posting on DL.

It's not a case of good vs evil fighting in Syria. None of the other Mid East nations, let alone the rest of the world, advocate US involvement, nor see it's real advantages in ending the conflict.

by Anonymousreply 4809/09/2013

[quote]Obama has been given orders by the Military Industrial Complex to feed them. He knows he and Kerry are lying just like W, Cheney, Powell and Rice but he is in their pocket the same way

The Obama apologists are still insane.

by Anonymousreply 4909/09/2013

I think that the President is posturing properly. We are working on an alignment of nations and support.

by Anonymousreply 5009/09/2013

Certainly, r50, which is why he's desperately jumping on the Russian plan for destroying Syrian chemical weapons, because it gets him out of the ridiculous mess of having to launch a military attack outside of the UN framework.

by Anonymousreply 5109/09/2013

I don't think he wants to attack Syria, at least not now. I think this is all about posturing for the 2014 elections.

I think he's playing the long game, and this is a way to get all the House Republicans to go on record voting against a war (when was the last time that happened?).

Then when the shit hits the fan over there, the Democrats can point across the aisle, and say that we could have solved this cheaply and easily 9 months ago, but the Republicans wouldn't let us.

by Anonymousreply 5209/09/2013

Indeed there SHOULD be a draft. Then this stupid shit would cease immediately.

Just think of the number of Wall Street idiots that are of draft age.

Hell of a good idea. Get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 5309/09/2013

More to the point, how will "progressives" make this Bush's fault?

by Anonymousreply 5409/09/2013

R52: Yes, let's murder Syrians as an electoral move!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5509/09/2013

That's a bit of a convoluted rationale, r52: hey, let's threaten an illegal war which the public vociferously opposes; then take get a vote in Congress on it even though that's not essential and we're only doing it because the British had a vote and came out against war; this will then put pressure on Republicans to vote against the war so they can oppose Obama, and then in 9 months time, we can win votes away from them because they voted against a war?!? But, the voters don't want this war anyway, they're more likely to look positively on those who voted against. What shit is going to hit the fan? It's going to hit the fan if America attacks!

by Anonymousreply 5609/09/2013

Obama is a hawk, even more so than Bush.

by Anonymousreply 5709/09/2013

She hasn't worked a lot since "Ugly Betty" ended, so she probably just wants some attention.

by Anonymousreply 5809/09/2013

America wants to get rid of Assad and put Al Qaeda in charge of Syria. Just because Al Qaeda is our enemy in other countries doesn't been we can't be besties in Syria.

by Anonymousreply 5909/09/2013

R57 is a proponent of the "Big Lie" school of propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 6009/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!