Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Egypt's largest Christian community threatened as Islamists take over town

"The fire in the monastery burned intermittently for three days. The looting continued for a week. At the end, not a wire or an electric switch is left," Yoannis told The Associated Press. The monastery's 1,600-year-old underground chapel was stripped of ancient icons and the ground was dug up on the belief that a treasure was buried there.

by Anonymousreply 1809/08/2013

Like other Christians in town, he said police and authorities were helpless to intervene.

"Everyone keeps telling me that I should alert the police and the army," he said. "As if I hadn't done that already."

by Anonymousreply 109/06/2013

Maybe it's time we start shipping muslims back there if they don't want any christians in their country.

They don't seem to be able to handle democracy. Take away the dictator and you get anarchy and extremism. So it's probably not a good idea to poke that hornet's nest called Syria.

by Anonymousreply 209/06/2013

The same story all over the ME now. They have hung a big banner over Nazareth (!!) saying "Islam is the Only True Religion". Many Christians are fleeing to Europe.

by Anonymousreply 309/08/2013

[quote]Maybe it's time we start shipping muslims back there if they don't want any christians in their country.

You're such a jackass who's as pea-brained as any fanatic.

by Anonymousreply 409/08/2013

Christians in Egypt are treated like gypsies in Eastern Europe. Why they remain in Egypt is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 509/08/2013

Your response, r4, shows that you are the one without an argument, only mindless name-calling. What do you think that makes you?

by Anonymousreply 709/08/2013

I hate religion. It gives people an excuse to be idiots.

by Anonymousreply 809/08/2013

Egypt, Iraq, Syria.

These are countries that had Christians in power and were (relatively-speaking) secular ...before US meddling.

Syria has churches and mosques side-by-side. I've been there and no one gives a shit who is Christian and who is Muslim. One of the most prominent ministers in the government is a Christian woman.

Obama and the vermin neo cons will change that soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 909/08/2013

Aww, poor Christians... they've only massacred how many people in history? How many of these countries did they meddle in? Give it a rest. The chickens have come home to roost.

by Anonymousreply 1009/08/2013

who cares? buncha nuts arguing about who's myth is better.

by Anonymousreply 1109/08/2013

R2.. what if we shipped idiots out instead?.. What country would you choose?

by Anonymousreply 1209/08/2013

You would be the one choosing where to go, r12, since you obviously qualify. May I recommend......Egypt? You'd probably feel right at home. Until they find out you're a homo.

by Anonymousreply 1309/08/2013

R10 How about you get a 7th grade education?

Christianity CAME FROM the Middle East - these are indigenous people, not "meddlers". The ones in the town referenced above speak Aramaic, the language Jesus spoke. If anyone is a "meddler" it is the militant Muslims who spread over the whole region by force, which they seem to be doing again.

Do you really think Christians in Jordan or Syria are Bubbas from Mississippi, or something? Get out of your little progressive ghetto and get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 1409/08/2013

I'm sure conservative Christians would never take issue with people acting on their deeply held religious convictions and doing what it takes to defend the faith of the majority and the nation's moral landscape against the propagandistic machinations of a detestable minority known for their provocative lifestyle choices and culture of recruitment.

by Anonymousreply 1509/08/2013

[quote]Christians in Egypt are treated like gypsies in Eastern Europe. Why they remain in Egypt is a mystery.

Because, you ignorant twat, they've been there for thousands of years and are among the earliest Christians. It's their country as much and more than the muslims'.

Learn history.

by Anonymousreply 1609/08/2013

[quote]Aww, poor Christians... they've only massacred how many people in history? How many of these countries did they meddle in?

Just like Americans. They've only massacred how many people in Iraq in the Bush-Cheney War? How many more countries will they meddle in?

by Anonymousreply 1709/08/2013

R14, how about you start with first grade? Maybe they'll teach you about commas.

All three monotheistic religions "CAME FROM the Middle East."

"Meddling" is older than time, so are you stupid or just prejudiced?

Just because you (clearly) hate Muslims, don't act like meddling was some new phenomenon started by Muslims. Jesus himself was considered a "meddler."

R16, I won't even bother. Oy, what a buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 1809/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.