Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Damn. Amarillo Italian restaurant closes, leaves nasty note behind.

Rednecks! Incest!

An Italian restaurant that recently closed up shop in Amarillo, Texas, appears to have left behind a sign explaining in graphic detail exactly why it went out of business.

"You sorry assed, rednecked sacked of goat sperm had no idea what you had here!" reads the exclamation-point-heavy "Not Sorry We're Closed" sign. "Good luck with your pre-packaged frozen shit food in this town."

You better believe it goes on:

Maybe you'll remember us when you're boning your sister and think she smells like pasta. We are off to make money in a town whose average IQ is above room temperature! CIAO!!!

Shortly after the sign began spreading online this morning, Sava!'s owners took to their Facebook page to suggest they were not responsible for the strongly worded farewell.

"Don't believe all you hear and see folks!" said a status update published three hours ago.

But web sleuths soon noticed that the restaurant's denial flies in the face of several inarguable truths.

Such as the fact that the sign is posted behind the glass of a locked door.

And just prior to picking up and moving to nearby Lubbuck, Sava!'s executive chef Mark Coffman told the Amarillo Globe-News, "I think Lubbock will get what we do a little better. It’s a bigger wine town."

He also called Amarillo "a tough sell" and griped that customers "think they know what Italian food is and they still argue with me about it."

Another hint that suggests Sava! had more to do with the note than they are willing to concede is the owner's penchant for signing everything with the word "CIAO" in all caps, and this reply posted on Urban Spoon last month that uses suspiciously similar language.

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013

It's Amarillo. What the hell did they expect? Lubbock sucks too.

by Anonymousreply 109/06/2013

A testament to doing some serious research before you open up a restaurant.

If Lubbock really is a more sophisticated town, then Amarillo must be a trailer park hell.

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2013

Amarillo sounds like quite a place.

by Anonymousreply 509/06/2013

The only small towns I can see having a successful Italian place in TX are the ones in the Hill Country (Wimberley, Fredericksburg, etc.) within easy driving distance of Austin and San Antonio where lots of wealthy city people have weekend houses in these little towns. Dallas, Houston, S.A. and Austin are of course much larger and have a huge variety of restaurants. They'd do much better there.

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2013

The owner is very likely a sociopath, as sociopaths are unable to accept blame for their failures and lash out at others.

Additionally, the restaurant business attracts a high number of sociopaths.

by Anonymousreply 1009/06/2013

What is "suspicious" about the Urban Spoon post? It is clearly the owners posting as the owners.

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2013

Anyone who opens a restaurant like that in Amarillo has no business calling anyone else stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2013

Lubbock is a step above Amarillo?

Who was to know?

by Anonymousreply 1709/06/2013

The owner sounds like an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2013

Next stop-- ABILENE!

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2013

[quote]"Don't believe all you hear and see folks!"

The only people who say this are idiots with something to hide that haven't thought up a good alibi yet.

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

He's moving to Scottsdale start a new venture with the Amy's Baking Company couple.

by Anonymousreply 2109/06/2013

The only good thing about Amarillo is "The Bus From Amarillo" from the OBC album of "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." The best song from the show, but left out of the film version.

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2013

I looked at the Amarillo tourism board's page for "Amarillo Dining" to see if this place was there (it was) -- most of the rest was Chili's, Whataburger, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2509/06/2013

When I was growing up in the 60s (in CT), my half-brother lived in Tucson. Every Christmas, my mother would send him a care package of different salamis, cheeses and canned stuff they couldn't get in AZ.

I live in Dallas now and I can get just about anything, except basket cheese. I use Mexican panela instead, which is pretty much the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2013

This is not true, some very sophisticated Amarillo residents love our authentic Italian food!

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2013

Buddy Holly was born & raised in Lubbock. Tomorrow's his birthday -- he'd be 77.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2013

Texas is more all about Mexican food anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3209/06/2013

Lubbock: the Paris of the oil fields.

by Anonymousreply 3509/06/2013

Thanks for suggesting I read this article, Gawker.

by Anonymousreply 3609/06/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3709/06/2013

[quote]I live in Dallas now and I can get just about anything, except basket cheese.

Sounds like a euphemism for smegma.

by Anonymousreply 3809/06/2013

Prego bacon and provolone flavor sauce is on sale this week, $1 a jar.

by Anonymousreply 4009/06/2013

R27, is "basket cheese" ricotta?

by Anonymousreply 4209/06/2013

Get out of the state you're in!

by Anonymousreply 4309/06/2013

R35, Lubbock is the Paris of the COTTON fields.

Midland is the Paris of the oil fields.

by Anonymousreply 4709/06/2013

Does everyone have to like Italian food? Talk about entitlement. "I'm Italian, ergo, I'm a great cook and my culture makes great food and there's something wrong with you if you don't like it.".

Gimme a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 4909/07/2013

I've been to Lubbock, and if It is better, Amarillo must really be a pit.

by Anonymousreply 5109/07/2013

Avoid Texas. Ignore what you hear about Austin being ok. It's a trap.

by Anonymousreply 5209/07/2013

R3 said it first so he gets credit. Who opens a premium dining facility with researching what the people in that town are wiliing to spend money on? Pompous, presumptuous chefs who think their craft is so astounding that people will regardlessly flock to their tables, that's who.

by Anonymousreply 5309/07/2013

The best Italian food is so cheap and easy to make there is no sense in eating out. And the markup is ridiculous--pasta costs pennies but you will pay 15 bucks for a pasta dish with a little chicken breast thrown in.

The reason why you see so many Italian/pizza joints around is because the profit margin is so huge. It's also why so many non-Italians, like Koreans, Arabs, etc. open pizza joints.

Now, a good pizza joint is worthy of our devotion, but one can make equally good at home.

Learn to cook, fuckers!

by Anonymousreply 5409/07/2013

Just maybe the food sucked

by Anonymousreply 5609/07/2013

Someone didn't do their market research. Who's stupid now?

by Anonymousreply 5709/07/2013

[quote]Chicken does not belong on pasta or pizza.

What about Chicken Spaghetti?

by Anonymousreply 5909/07/2013

Chicken spaghetti...gross just gross

by Anonymousreply 6009/08/2013

OMG, R30! Do you melt some Velveeta in it, too?

by Anonymousreply 6109/08/2013

r59 ....or Chicken Tetrazinni?

by Anonymousreply 6209/08/2013

r58, chicken cacciatore.

by Anonymousreply 6309/08/2013

When made correctly neither are past dishes. R62/63

by Anonymousreply 6409/08/2013

R62 btw....your precious dish comes from San Francisco and has fuck all to do with Italy.

by Anonymousreply 6509/08/2013

Pasta is for fat asses.

by Anonymousreply 6609/08/2013

TX.

by Anonymousreply 7109/08/2013

[quote]Pasta is a side dish in Italy. Fish and vegetables figure very heavily in the Italian diet.

technically it's a "primo" - the first plate. the second plate is more substantial and could be anything from roast beef to friend fish, to fave beans, completely dependent on the region and season.

by Anonymousreply 7509/08/2013

I went to Italy once. Some restaurant tried to serve me horse and donkey! I didn't know they was savages over there.

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

[quote]friend fish

Charlie the Tuna was always quite friendly

[quote]to fave beans

I like cannellini

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

Next time, the owner might try changing the name from Sava! to something that's actually Italian.

Oh, and for those wondering, there are definitely some "authentic" Italian chicken dishes: chicken saltimbocca, chicken scalloppine, etc.

Lastly, I LOVE the photo of Sava!'s owner/chef that some former diner recently posted on Urbanspoon. Hee!

by Anonymousreply 7809/08/2013

Texans should be served food as they deserve it, in a trough.

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.