Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Autistic Student offered 86k to leave public school in California

As usual, all the sympathy is with the autistic kid, not the 20 (at least) other kids in the classroom trying to get an education.

"Heather Houston, mother of 21-year-old autistic, diabetic, and mute David Swanson, has been offered $86,000 from Northern California public school officials to move her son into a private school and to settle past and future complaints against the Yuba City Unified School District and the Sutter County Superintendent of Schools. The offer comes two weeks after Swanson was turned away from school on the first day of classes.

Houston argues that turning Swanson away is a direct violation of her son’s rights under the Department of Education’s Section 504 regulation that requires a school district to provide Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to each person with a disability “regardless of the nature or severity of the person’s disability.” Her son is eligible for FAPE until he turns 22 in spring 2014.

The complaints about Swanson’s education began last year when his private duty nurse of five years, Annette Armstrong, witnessed one of his teachers attempting to teach him table manners:

David didn't respond well because the teacher was forcing him to eat with a metal fork instead of a plastic one, Armstrong said. But they say David's autism renders him extra sensitive to metal, and he becomes agitated by the way metal forks feel against his teeth.

When Armstrong said she tried to intervene, the teacher ignored her, she said. When David spit the food out, she says the teacher pushed it back into his mouth and he eventually vomited.

Other formal complaints lodged by Swanson’s mother include his iPad—his main method of communication—being left out in the rain “for fear that he was bringing a recording device into the classroom” and an incident in which a teacher brought cupcakes for every student in class except Swanson.

Kim Bogard, lawyer for the Yuba City School District, has acknowledged that a settlement letter exists but will not comment on specifics. But Houston is currently telling Yuba City officials no. “You could offer me a million," she told KXTV. "I'm not going to take any money to sign away my son's rights to an education."

by Anonymousreply 3309/06/2013

Sorry, I'm with the mother on this one. If they don't like the LAW, change it. FAPE guarantees this kid's right to a PUBLIC education. Sounds like the teacher's aide shouldn't be in a position to be working with severely autistic kids in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 109/06/2013

She just wants free daycare, R1, and to get more money out of the state. Nowhere does it say she doesn't like the law.

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2013

If what is being reported about this school and the teachers is true, then I side with the mother.

OP implies the other students are being denied a quality education due to this one student. The article does not support this position. Conclusion? OP is a liar.

by Anonymousreply 409/06/2013

R4, a 21 year old deaf idiot in the classroom is a distraction right off the bat. So automatically they're being negatively affected.

When I was in school in the 90s, if a kid was disruptive once, s/he was told to stop. If they didn't stop, they were sent to the principal. If it kept up, they were isolated with other troublemakers or expelled. Now the troublemaker controls the agenda in the classroom and their needs must be attended to before the other students who just want to get through the day and maybe learn a few things.

by Anonymousreply 509/06/2013

They couldn't have thought of an acronym that doesn't look so much like "fap"? Rhymes with rape, too; that's a plus.

by Anonymousreply 709/06/2013

Of course the sympathy is with the autistic child and why not?

Why the mother put the kid in public school in the first place is up for grabs, opening him to the typical ridicule of the other MORON OFFSPRING that so commonly inhabit public school, raised by their MORON PARENTS.

An autistic child would be well off in a private school designed to address the needs of autistic children, which requires special training that a public school teacher has no time nor training no credentials for.

The mother should take the money and be grateful the state offered the family such a kind and generous offer.

Your attitude about this offends me. Shows you're a typical shallow and uncaring sociopath, thinking only of your own selfish needs. Swill.

by Anonymousreply 809/06/2013

Free Appropriate Public Education

Key word is APPROPRIATE. How can it be appropriate to have an austistic kid in a class with regular kids? It's a lose-lose for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 909/06/2013

[quote]MORON OFFSPRING that so commonly inhabit public school, raised by their MORON PARENTS.

You mean, people who can use metal utensils, speak and read? Who are the morons again?

by Anonymousreply 1009/06/2013

R10 Give it up. You have already made a fool out of yourself with your baseless claims and lies.

by Anonymousreply 1109/06/2013

[quote] How can it be appropriate to have an austistic kid in a class with regular kids?

Where does it say he is in a class with "regular kids"? Oh, that's right, it doesn't.

Either you dont know how to read, or you are a liar.

by Anonymousreply 1209/06/2013

My friend has an autistic daughter in public school. The special needs kids spend a couple of hours in the classroom with the 'mainstream' kids, and spend the rest of the day in the special needs classroom, in a small group. Her daughter hits, screams, and grunts constantly. I cannot imagine a teacher having to deal with this behavior, and 20 other 9 year olds. It isn't fair to the teachers, and I wouldn't imagine that the other kids would be that nice to the student either.

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2013

All of the people involved live in Yuba City. Haven't they suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2013

If what is being reported about this school and the teachers is true, then I side with the mother."

TOTALLY agree. If those things are true then the teachers should be fired.

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2013

"Your attitude about this offends me. Shows you're a typical shallow and uncaring sociopath, thinking only of your own selfish needs. Swill."

You're the one calling others sociopaths after labeling people "morons" for no reason? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Your post is very nasty and mean-spirited.

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2013

R12 needs meds.

by Anonymousreply 1709/06/2013

R17 is still a liar.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2013

Severely autistic kids don't belong in a classroom with mainstream kids. Period. The autistic kids need to be in a separate classroom, with specialty teachers. Not all schools have this capability.

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2013

No teacher should be shoving food into a child's mouth against his will. That is borderline assault. OTOH if the kid can only communicate through a device and needs a nurse there with him during classroom hours, that is an obvious distraction and burden on the class. Maybe the school needs to use the 80 grand to hire a Special Ed teacher. What if more such kids move into town?

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

R17 still needs meds.

by Anonymousreply 2109/06/2013

Or, the school district should have found him an appropriate private school & paid for it. I have a friend who has a son who's got a lot of learning issues and their local public school wasn't equipped to handle them. The city sent the boy to a school that was appropriate for his their expense.

Now the kid's in college and working. He'll grow up to be whatever's left of the middle class because he was given a decent education. Sure, we the public paid for it, but then he turns into a grownup taxpayer.

As for severely disabled kids, the ones who will never be able to function on their own, that child (and eventual adult) is always going to need some kind of support from city, state, federal government, except in the very unlikely situation that s/he lives with a very wealthy, supportive family.

by Anonymousreply 2209/06/2013

R20, in Illinois students are mainstreamed. Each is partnered with an aide who keeps them on task throughout regular classes.

Autism is not in any way related to low IQ. There's the same spectrum of intelligence found in non-autistic children.

Teachers help kids coping with ADD, Fundamentalist beliefs, peanut allergies, abuse, food scarcity, death, divorce, drugs, and swag every day. Adding a few autistic students to the mix just makes for a richer experience.

Pay your teachers well.

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2013

Thank god we still had developmental centers when I was in school. My son's class is constantly interrupted by the autistic kids who shout, bite, scream, throw things, make consistent background noise (loudly, monotonously humming all day long)bang their desks and generally distract all the other kids in class. On top of that, about one third of the kids in his class barely speak English. This would have driven me crazy, but my son insists on going to school there because just showing up, sitting quietly, understanding and speaking English, and doing your homework guarantees at least a B. Talk about grade inflation.

by Anonymousreply 2409/06/2013

Well, clearly we know who runs things in your house, R24.

by Anonymousreply 2509/06/2013

R21 Seeing how its been established you are a liar, your attempts at insult are pointless.

by Anonymousreply 2609/06/2013

R26, I wasn't insulting you. You called me a liar, which IS an insult. You just need meds. Statement of fact.

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2013

R27 You imply this student was in a classroom with "regular kids". No where in this article does it say that is the case. So you are a liar. Or would you rather be labeled illiterate? Its your choice.

Of course you could just be a man and admit you made a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2013

Why are taxpayers paying for this person at all? From the sounds of it he is beyond help and incapable of even the smallest contribution to society. Put him in a corner, pay someone $10/hour to watch and make sure he doesn't hurt himself and leave it at that. He doesn't need expensive teachers with expertise in order to be mute, dumb and avoid metal utensils.

by Anonymousreply 2909/06/2013

Aspartame and autism.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2013

Your son is funny, R24!!

by Anonymousreply 3209/06/2013

[quote]Ah, the mid 90s!!!

As the term PC brigade is something old, scared white people use, I'm guessing you mean mid 1890s.

by Anonymousreply 3309/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!