Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who call back before listening to your message.

Makes me nuts. If they listened first, they might discover there's often no need to call back. My message usually makes it clear whether a call back is needed. If not, it's a big time suck. Seems to afflict mobile phone only users most.

by One ringy dingyreply 4709/07/2013

A two-minute phone call back to you is a "time suck" that you can't handle?

Stop calling people.

by One ringy dingyreply 109/05/2013

OP, you are a vapid little idiot.

I am so glad I don't know you.

Fuck you!

by One ringy dingyreply 309/05/2013

Humblebragging, OP? You New Yorkers are so odd.

by One ringy dingyreply 609/05/2013

Don't know about you, but my Tmobile voicemail can have a lag of up to 48 hours. It was the same with AT&T. I'll see you called, but there's no message.

More importantly, perhaps you view your communication as a way to convey information that's important to you. Others may view the information as an excuse to socialize with you. Because of your hotness.

by One ringy dingyreply 709/05/2013

I assume the reason is similar to whatever makes people post on a thread when they've only read the headline.

by One ringy dingyreply 809/05/2013

You're tiresome OP

by One ringy dingyreply 1009/05/2013

R11 is why people are trashy cunts. If ou don't have time to listen then you get Blocked.

by One ringy dingyreply 1209/06/2013

You called him and now you're blocking him for calling you back.

Um.... okay then, OP/R11 is obviously an immature, poorly socialized asshole, let's move on.

by One ringy dingyreply 1309/06/2013

op, are you an aspie?

by One ringy dingyreply 1409/06/2013

No, you're poorly socialized if you never listen to what others say.

by One ringy dingyreply 1509/06/2013

Why is it so difficult for some of you to listen to voice messages?

by One ringy dingyreply 1809/06/2013

ITA with OP. I have some staff members who do this. They're the same ones who will call and leave a message, "hey,can you call me?" No indication of what's up. I call back assuming it's an emergency or something important, only to find out they just want to chat and bend my ear for 20 minutes about something stupid. So infuriating. I'm busy. GET. TO. THE. FUCKING. POINT.

OP, I've come to the conclusion that this type is generally very needy and narcissistic. They crave validation. Actual conversations provide a feedback loop that is a steady supply of their favorite "drug" --attention. This is the type that won't let you get a word in. They like to control and dominate the conversation. They don't respond well to email or phone messages because they are one sided and allow someone else to complete a thought without their constant interruption and attention seeking.

by One ringy dingyreply 1909/06/2013

What's it like to have friends? Even if they leave voice messages.

by One ringy dingyreply 2109/06/2013

It is a pain in the ass to listen to voice mail, especially on an iPhone. They take a while to load themselves up, while you're looking at it waiting to see if it's actually going to play or not. Then if you try to listen to it in a public place, invariably the phone knows this and starts broadcasting your message on speaker whether you wanted it to or not. If you try to listen to voice mail with the damn phone up to your ear, half the time the iPhone decides you didn't want to hear it anyway. So you have to dick around with it several times to get it to work, usually while you're trying to do something else.

It's much easier to just hit redial.

All iPhones I've had are similar. That is the one significant weakness of the Apple phones. Steve Jobs apparently hated voice mail, too.

by One ringy dingyreply 2209/06/2013

Guilty. 95% of my calls require a call back. It is just easier to redial. It took some training, but most in my world get that I don't listen to messages. The remaining 5% really should just be text messages - parents mostly.

by One ringy dingyreply 2309/06/2013

R16 - you will experience a long period of unemployment in the near future.

by One ringy dingyreply 2409/06/2013

Your life must be pretty good, OP. why do you worry about stupid bullshit like this?

by One ringy dingyreply 2509/06/2013

Well, R20, WE don't want to listen to a droning, vapid, 20 minute, one sided, babbling conversation about your weekend. And we particularly don't want to have to repeat what we just said in a very succinct voice mail or email.

Here's what I do, OP. Don't answer their call. A few minutes later, text them that you are on a conference call and can't talk. Ask if they listened to your vm (or read your email) in full. If they haven't, instruct them to do so and if they still have any questions they should call back at (give them a date/time for the next day or later in the week). They learn eventually. Have to teach these Neanderthals.

by One ringy dingyreply 2609/06/2013

I like email because I have a record of the conversation. I've had to refer back to things often.

by One ringy dingyreply 2709/06/2013

OP, voicemail is now considered passé and an imposition. It's associated with robocalls and collection agencies.

by One ringy dingyreply 2809/06/2013

OP, I'll admit that I tend to call back before listening to messages. I always figured it's more polite to talk to an actual person, but maybe I'm wrong...

by One ringy dingyreply 2909/06/2013

It takes longer to listen to a message than to just call back.

by One ringy dingyreply 3009/06/2013

[quote]. I always figured it's more polite to talk to an actual person, but maybe I'm wrong...

There's nothing impolite about listening to the message the caller intended you to hear in the first place before returning the call.

by One ringy dingyreply 3109/06/2013

I do this especially when the timing is with having just missed a message from a family member. It makes me feel anxious to directly get in touch.

I hope you didn't seriously have too difficult a time figuring out why this occurs.

by One ringy dingyreply 3209/06/2013

For you, R30, but not for the person who took the time to leave a message and then has to repeat it for your lazy ass.

by One ringy dingyreply 3309/06/2013

R30 writes,

[quote]It takes longer to listen to a message than to just call back.

R19/R26/R27/R33 demonstrates that it can work out for the best for a recipient to simply allow the message to go before deciding whether to call back.

For R19/R26/R27/R33, his victims (er, recipients) give a return rate of less than five percent.

by One ringy dingyreply 3409/06/2013

I fucking hate voicemail, it is one of my top pet-peeves. I only tolerate it for work and from my mother.

I cannot stand when some asshole coworker or associate leaves the dreaded long "droning" voicemail as so accurate described: starts off with a long preamble with very slow talking, and then when they finally get to the important information that is needed, they start speaking twice as fast. Then I have to wait to hear the entire damn menu again, because no one ever remembers what number you press to replay the message. Repeat about three times, 20 minutes has passed. I would rather just call you back, or you could have just sent a fucking email.

My mother is the biggest culprit of leaving voicemail for anything. I would rather her leave me voicemails only in an emergency, that way if I see a voicemail from her I know I need to drop what Im doing to call her back immediately. But no, she leaves voicemail every time she calls, and I just call her back. I dont have the guts to tell her to not leave me voicemails.

by One ringy dingyreply 3509/06/2013

I'm a criminal defense attorney and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with the OP.

It fuckin' INFURIATES me when clients do this. But, hey, if you want to pay me $175 because you couldn't bother to listen to the update I left you, fine.

I'll sure as hell charge your ignorant ass.

by One ringy dingyreply 3609/06/2013

I work in a large office - and what I hate is when morons call and say, without identifying themselves, no greeting, no nothing: "You called me."

I usually go, "No, I didn't call you - but there are a lot of people who work here. What's your name?"

"Jose ... what?"

and it goes downhill from there. They just mumble and sputter until you finally figure out who might have called them.

by One ringy dingyreply 3709/06/2013

You goddamn liar, r36.

You greedy bastards LOVE IT when clients get to be billed at $175 per hour.

You fucking live for BILLABLE HOURS!

by One ringy dingyreply 3809/06/2013

R36 is not an attorney.

by One ringy dingyreply 3909/06/2013

R18, I agree. not listening is well, not listening, that's rude.

by One ringy dingyreply 4009/06/2013

I want to work with R27.

by One ringy dingyreply 4109/06/2013

I note you did not reply to me, OP. You have sucked up my time.

by One ringy dingyreply 4209/06/2013

Well in business, I wholeheartedly agree with OP. we are always having to call people and leave somewhat detailed messages. We can't text from our office phones, and we certainly wouldn't anyway. We're not 20, and we're not your little bestie.

Then of course they call back with attitude and you have to repeat everything you've just gone over in the voicemail.

Personal calls and mom are a completely different matter.

by One ringy dingyreply 4309/06/2013

As you try to control the world, OP, please know I wouldn't call you back even if you begged me.

by One ringy dingyreply 4409/06/2013

R43, If what you have to say is too long to put in a text message then it deserves to be in an email, and not a voicemail.

I agree that's it may be inappropriate to text a business relation even if it is brief; my bosses LOVE texting though and it's pretty much the only way they communicate with the staff.

by One ringy dingyreply 4509/06/2013

In what bizarro work universe do the people who insist that all communication can be in writing live? You cannot text or email a customer if you don't have that contact info. How can you determine whether the number you are calling accepts text messages? You don't always have an email address, either.

Real-world example: I get inquiries forwarded to me from people who claim we haven't paid them. 9 times out of 10, it's because the EFT info that shows up on their bank statement is not clear that the payment came from us. I call back and leave a message with a trace number for their inquiry. They can give this info to their bank and find out all the info they need to know and more. There is no need to ever call me back. If you call us back, unless you provide that trace information, the whole process starts over. Listen to your goddamn messages!

by One ringy dingyreply 4609/07/2013

Elder gay issue... Send a text💄

by One ringy dingyreply 4709/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!