Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm watching S.O.B.

What smut!!! Why did Julie Andrews let Blake sully her reputation?

by did I use sully right?reply 5209/08/2013

I loved this movie...

by did I use sully right?reply 109/05/2013

They said Shirley MacLaine took her boobies out and Jane Fonda too. In what?

by did I use sully right?reply 209/05/2013

Liv Ullmann!!!!!

by did I use sully right?reply 309/05/2013

[quote]did I use sully right?

A question I'm still asking myself.

by did I use sully right?reply 409/05/2013

She and her husband probably both had scores to settle. Even before I had a clue about the famous people they were ridiculing, I got a kick out of this movie. Robert Preston is having such a good time, I can overlook the corny "Hollywood orgy" scene.

by did I use sully right?reply 509/05/2013

I haven't seen it, did they send up anyone fun, R5?

by did I use sully right?reply 609/05/2013

[quote]Even before I had a clue about the famous people they were ridiculing,

Who are they making fun of?

Some of it is kind of funny. Edwards was always good at slapstick. I like when they keep falling down that hole in the bedroom. Loretta Swit is funny too. (although wasn't she kind of playing the same character as on MASH---never really have seen MASH.)

Rosanna Arquette's boobies are huge BTW, fake?

by did I use sully right?reply 709/05/2013

They sent up the Robert Evans/Ali McGraw/Steve McQueen triangle, Sue Mengers and a gossip columnist whose name escapes me right now. Probably other people that I'm not clued into enough to recognize.

by did I use sully right?reply 809/05/2013

is Marisa Berensen playing Ali McGraw?

by did I use sully right?reply 909/05/2013

Rex Reed said about the film that Andrews' breasts looked like two empty wallets.

Later when Edwards made Victor/Victoria, he had Andrews say at one point that her breasts will "end up looking like two empty wallets."

R3, I love that moment in the film!

by did I use sully right?reply 1009/05/2013

Robert Vaughn = Robert Evans

Marisa Berenson = Ali McGraw

the guy she's in bed with = Steve McQueen

Shelly Winters = Sue Mengers

Loretta Swit = a gossip columnist from the 70s whose name just won't come to me

by did I use sully right?reply 1109/05/2013

Swit = Rona Barrett?

by did I use sully right?reply 1209/05/2013

I'll have to take a look at this movie. I can absolutely see Berenson as McGraw - they both have that blank, dead affect on film.

by did I use sully right?reply 1309/05/2013

R12, Joyce Haber. Her obit (linked below) mentions

[quote]She said Julie Andrews had "a kind of flowering dullness about her."

by did I use sully right?reply 1409/06/2013

Joyce Haber was vile. Her book, The Users, was clearly based on Liza. The Liza character was known for giving blow jobs at parties to gay guys - just. As Liza was. The joke at the time was that if you were at a party with Liza, your better not need to pee, because Liza would keep the bathroom occupied all night. Haber repeated the joke in reference to her character, Marina.

by did I use sully right?reply 1509/06/2013

One of my favorite movies, everyone was spot-on target for their characters. r5 You are correct, you could see Preston was having a ball with his part. Willaim Holden was surprisingly understated, but no less effective. AFWIW, I think Julie's tits looked great.

by did I use sully right?reply 1609/06/2013

Julie Andrews had nice tits. Not big, but perky.

by did I use sully right?reply 1709/06/2013

[quote]Julie Andrews had nice tits. Not big, but perky.

Especially at 46 and after three kids.

by did I use sully right?reply 1809/06/2013

the dress seems will engineered to left and separate

by did I use sully right?reply 1909/06/2013

She only had one biological child, r18, the others were adopted.

by did I use sully right?reply 2009/06/2013

[quote]Rex Reed said about the film that Andrews' breasts looked like two empty wallets.

And Heaven knows, Rex Reed is an expert in ladies breasts. Guess he didn't steal the soundtrack.

by did I use sully right?reply 2109/06/2013

Best part of the movie:

At the beginning of the movie, an old character actor died alone and forgotten on the beach with only his faithful dog caring.

In a very pointed commentary on fame, the beautiful funeral given Richard Mulligan character, is actually the old actor in the coffin.

The actual Felix Farmer was given a Viking funeral by the only people who actually liked him.

Loved it. Dark, dark satire.

by did I use sully right?reply 2209/07/2013

The weird thing is that S.O.B. became rented by quite a number of straight men who wanted to jerk off to Julie's breasts. That just baffles me.

by did I use sully right?reply 2309/07/2013

How do you know this, r23? You've heard this from straight men you know, or have read guys saying this online?

by did I use sully right?reply 2509/07/2013

I don't know about it being instant JO material, but more than one straight guy has told me that seeing Mary Poppins' fits had special appeal and yes, that was basically their only interest in seeing SOB.

by did I use sully right?reply 2609/07/2013

Fucking autocorrect.

by did I use sully right?reply 2709/07/2013

I remember a movie magazine poll that rated Julie's breasts as the biggest gross out of 1981.

by did I use sully right?reply 2809/07/2013

Joyce Haber's The Users is one of the best books ever written about Hollywood. Yes, most of the characters are pretty ugly, but it's only a reflection of reality. Her take on Lee Anderson (called "Grace St.George") is particularly funny.

Haber arguably painted some of the characters better than they deserved (Robert Evans, Denise Minnelli Hale).

by did I use sully right?reply 2909/07/2013

"Hello, Polly! You've come to see my boobies?"

by did I use sully right?reply 3009/07/2013

Julie didn't have bad breasts at all. They weren't huge, which meant they weren't down to her waist at 46, which is what probably would have happened to Jayne Mansfield had she lived. She got soooo much publicity, though...my college newspaper did a sort of mock horror piece because of her Mary/Maria image. She was fervently trying to get past that stereotype at the time, even wearing a teeshirt that read "Mary Poppins is a junkie."

by did I use sully right?reply 3109/07/2013

At the time it seemed the press was most critical of the tits. Most people I knew who saw the movie complained more about the silly "you've come to see my boobies" line.

by did I use sully right?reply 3209/07/2013

Do your boobies hang low, do they wobble to and fro?

Can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow?

Can you throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier?

Do your boobies hang low?

by did I use sully right?reply 3309/07/2013

"Julie didn't have bad breasts at all. They weren't huge, which meant they weren't down to her waist at 46, which is what probably would have happened to Jayne Mansfield had she lived."

I know nothing about breasts, but in terms of sag or lack thereof - were they being supported by the dress she was wearing? I always wondered if they strategically put her in a dress with a removable panel, rather than a fully uncovered torso, in order to give the breasts support for the big reveal.

by did I use sully right?reply 3409/07/2013

One press comment : Are the hills still alive?

by did I use sully right?reply 3509/07/2013

We probably need to ask a 40+ woman here, r34. Did Julie's dress support her breasts during the big "reveal?"

by did I use sully right?reply 3609/07/2013

it just goes to show the wonders of a good foundation garment

by did I use sully right?reply 3709/07/2013

[quote] Especially at 46 and after three kids.

Julie only gave birth toi one child, her daughter Emma with Tony Walton.

Jennifer and Geoff were Blake's kids from a previous marriage, and she and Blake adopted 2 Vietnamese orphans, Amy and Joanna.

by did I use sully right?reply 3809/07/2013

[quote]and she and Blake adopted 2 Vietnamese orphans, Amy and Joanna.

where are the Vietnamese girls nowadays? they were quite a mess as teens.

by did I use sully right?reply 3909/07/2013

r39, please spill whatever info you have! I have always been fascinated by what the story is with those girls, who Julie NEVER, EVER talks about (as opposed to Emma).

by did I use sully right?reply 4009/07/2013

all I know r40 is that one of the girls (or perhaps both I'm not sure) were really out of control messes and were regulars in the group home/rehab/behavioral centers of LA's west side in the 80's.

I remember being shocked that Julie had her kid put away (according to a relative.) Roseanne Barr's daughter was locked in the same bin but that wasn't such a surprise.

Did Julie adopt the girls as infants or were they older orphans who had seen the horrors of the war?

by did I use sully right?reply 4109/07/2013

Interesting that after her BFF Carol Burnett had gone public about what she and her daughter Carrie went through (and I think Carol has always said she's happy they went public and felt like they were able to help other people going through it), Julie has never said a word about this. But maybe it's because Carrie's issues were more purely substance abuse and therefore able to be resolved through sobriety, whereas for Julie's girls it's more psychiatric and therefore more difficult to cleanly put behind them?

It is really weird how she never mentions them. In interviews she constantly talks about Emma and Emma's kids, but you'd never know the adopted daughters even exist... they're like Mrs. Rochester in the attic or something.

by did I use sully right?reply 4209/07/2013

"I know nothing about breasts, but in terms of sag or lack thereof - were they being supported by the dress she was wearing?"

That dress offers very little support to the breasts. Most natural middle-aged breasts are soft and would spill over the edge of the little shelf just below the boobs, that dress doesn't change the shape of her breasts at all. What it does is create the illusion that the boob is slightly higher up the chest, a little closer to the shoulder.

Assuming the boobs are real, of course. A modern implant could be pushed all the way up to the collarbone by that sort of neckline.

by did I use sully right?reply 4309/07/2013

Julie's girls probably do her nails.

by did I use sully right?reply 4409/07/2013

Ive seen the movie a few times. Funny as hell. Dream cast. Julie of course wanted to break her mary poppins image with this and between s.o.b. and victor/victoria i believe she was seen in a different light.

by did I use sully right?reply 4509/08/2013

[quote]etween s.o.b. and victor/victoria i believe she was seen in a different light.

and then never made another movie anybody saw

by did I use sully right?reply 4609/08/2013

I think R39 is thinking of Jennifer's daughter Katie, who was a mess and got sent away. I used to work for Blake & Julie when their daughters were young teens and there were no issues with them.

And perhaps the reason Julie talks more about Emma than the other 2 girls is because Julie & Emma write books together, and Emma also used to be involved in the regional theatre scene in NY and Julie was involved with her theatre.

by did I use sully right?reply 4709/08/2013

Jennifer Edwards had a young daughter in the 80's?

I'm not really sure which daughter it was I just know the story was that it was Julie's daughter. This would have been around 1990 or so I guess.

r47 you say they were "young teens" when would that have been?

by did I use sully right?reply 4809/08/2013

r47, would love to hear ALL your memories and stories of Julie!!

by did I use sully right?reply 4909/08/2013

[quote] you say they were "young teens" when would that have been?

This was 1987/1988. I know that Joanna was 12/13 and Amy was 13/14 during that time. Katie, Jennifer's daughter, was 12 and from all accounts a very wild child.

by did I use sully right?reply 5009/08/2013

She in a way made her first roles too well and people wanted to think she is like her characters in MP and SOM.

by did I use sully right?reply 5109/08/2013

Okay, this is Julie Andrews thread but we can't stop about Joyce Haber. She did a column in the LA Times and was fired after her disgusting blind item suggesting Jean Seberg was pregnant with the child of a Black Panther. She later said that every single reporter at the Times hated her except for classical musical critic Martin Bernheimer and architectural critic Art Seidenbaum. She reportedly infuriated Theater Critic Dan Sullivan when she did almost daily reports about "A Chorus Line" before it moved to Broadway explaining what a phenomenon it was, effectively undercutting any review he would do.

Haber is also in the notorious "Here's Lucy" episode with the Burtons.

by did I use sully right?reply 5209/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.