Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you ever invest in a Broadway show?

How much did you put in? Did you get anything back?

How did you find out about the show?

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2013

No, but a relative of my partner invested in Fiddler on the Roof and made a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

Would love to hear more of that story, r1. Was there something specifically about that show that caused them to have the (correct) intuition that this was gonna be an enormous hit and decide to invest? Or were they just regular investors with Hal Prince who hit the jackpot along with him on that one?

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

Yes and I lost my ass. It was "KATZ!" The production featured a bunch of short bobble-headed men in cat costumes educating the audience about Katz Syndrome through music and the dance.

We signed Mickey Rooney, but the son wouldn't let him travel out of state.

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2013

emotionally? yes.

by Anonymousreply 409/06/2013

I rarely invest. I mostly just walk thru them.

by Anonymousreply 509/06/2013

I know some people who have invested and lost money (not a lot, but some). It's all a tax write off, and really if you're investing in Broadway shows you can be happy to take the tax write off and go to the opening night party.

I believe only something like 30% of shows even recoup anymore, so more likely than not you are going to lose money.

The only way to guarantee a return is by having a Hugh Jackman, Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts in your show. A play in limited run with a big star is your safest bet, though your returns probably won't be as high as if you hit the jackpot with a hit musical.

Your chances of finding the next Wicked or Jersey Boys is VERY slim though.

*Hint* it won't be Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder, Soul Doctor, First Date or Big Fish!

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2013

Never again.

by Anonymousreply 709/06/2013

I was in Junior High School on Long Island and my English teacher told us he invested in an upcoming show. So after the class I told him that it was going to flop and see if he could get his money back. Being a kid and having seen Broadway shows but not knowing behind the scenes knowledge, that of course wasn't possible. He started arguing with me that the star just won an Oscar and the author was great yadda yadda. So I just stood my ground. A few weeks later he goes to opening night and tells all about it and how exciting it was, pulls me aside after class and says how wrong I was. Eight struggling weeks later the show closes and he loses all his money.

by Anonymousreply 809/06/2013

What show, r8?

by Anonymousreply 909/06/2013

[quote] there something specifically about that show that caused them to have the (correct) intuition that this was gonna be an enormous hit and decide to invest? Or were they just regular investors with Hal Prince who hit the jackpot along with him on that one?

They were Jewish and the show was about Jews. That's the only reason why they invested.

by Anonymousreply 1009/06/2013

Out of the mouths of babes..... Even little queenlets.

by Anonymousreply 1109/06/2013

I was approached via mutual friends by Ken Davenport to invest in the recent Godspell.

The email suggested any investor level was welcome....but turned out the minimum was 1000.00. I might have been able to swing 500 but a thousand was a bit much for me.

by Anonymousreply 1209/06/2013

[quote]What show?

Ira Levin's "Veronica's Room" starring Eileen Heckart.

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2013

EAT SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2013

In the 50s my mother invested $5,000 in "Oh, Captain" at The Alvin. Had short run.

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.