Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Think We Can Take Naomi Watts Out of the Running For Best Actress

The reviews for Diana are in and they are TERRIBLE.

[quote]When you think of messy, raw, emotionally available turns Watts is likely to be among the first names that come to mind, in anything from Mulholland Drive to 21 Grams to this year's The Impossible. Watching her here feels almost like an optical illusion, because you simply don't believe that this actress can be giving this performance – it's stilted, overly mannered and bereft of anything human. In trying (understandably) to portray Diana accurately and reverentially, Watts has neglected to portray a person.

[quote]Naomi Watts – who looks utterly, completely and entirely nothing like the real thing – plays Diana who’s reeling from her divorce with Prince Charles and is now fluttering her eyelashes in the direction of a new man.

[quote]Despite a peroxide hair-job, she looks, sounds and acts nothing like the Princess of Wales. Wesley Snipes in a blonde wig would be more convincing.

by Anonymousreply 5609/08/2013

[post redacted because thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

Camp classic!

[quote]There's a scene in Diana in which, disguised, she walks down Old Compton Street and gets wolf-whistled by every man she passes. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

The Guardian - 1 star

An excruciatingly well-intentioned biopic laced with bizarre cardboard dialogue

by Anonymousreply 309/05/2013

meh British reviews....what do the Americans without Diana worship say?

by Anonymousreply 409/05/2013

I can't believe they made this movie. Do they really expect people to pay to see this? I wouldn't even watch this if it were on the Lifetime cable channel

by Anonymousreply 509/05/2013

Right now only British press have seen it.

Telegraph - 2 stars

Watts makes a decent fist of playing Diana – she wears the clothes well (especially the glamorous ones) and the hair looks first-rate. But though she replicates Diana’s body language attentively (notably in the re-creation of her famous grilling by Martin Bashir, there’s something missing: the Princess’s wounded, doe-eyed gaze.

Naveen Andrews makes a solid, stubborn Khan, and he’s given nice character touches: a jazz fan, he tells Diana to throw away the rule book and ‘improvise’ her life after the royal family closes ranks against her.

The major problem, predictably, comes with the dialogue, which involves characters telling each other things they already know. “I am a heart surgeon!” declares heart surgeon Khan. On another occasion: “You’re the most famous woman in the world.” Yes, we get it.

by Anonymousreply 609/05/2013

Wait until they get a load of 45 year old Nicole Kidman playing 30 year of Grace Kelly. Camp Classic Double Bill.

by Anonymousreply 709/05/2013

Sadly I think Naomi Watts knows the movie is shit and regrets her involvement in it. She walked out of a bland radio interview about it and has made other noises about knowing people will have strong reactions to it.

I too feel like this should have been some sort of Lifetime movie and I was disappointed from the get-go that Watts was involved because I like her so much.

by Anonymousreply 809/05/2013

I gather they didn't make an effort to make Watts appear anywhere near as tall as Diana. Watts is 5'3", Diana was 5'9". Part of Diana's charm was that she was gangly.

by Anonymousreply 1009/05/2013

Now it seems really dumb of them to have a two-month separation between the release in the UK and the US. Seems like by the time it opens here, it will already have built up such a reputation as a piece of crap that they won't even be able to get in one good opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 1109/05/2013

Kidman as Princess Grace is sure to be the real horror show.

by Anonymousreply 1209/05/2013

Both movies are sure to be shit but Watts and Kidman should have switched places in these two roles.

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2013

Watts has the double horror of that awful Adore movie coming out where her and Robin Wright are fucking each other's sons.

Who is picking her scripts?

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2013

Jessica Chastain dodged a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2013

Naomi should've won for "The Impossible."

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2013

M, dear, you better get to Judi as well.

by Anonymousreply 1709/06/2013

Naomi Watts is a good actress but she's a foot too short to play Diana. They must have used a graduate of the Tom Cruise School of Casting.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2013

Judi Dench was involved in 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 1909/06/2013

"Both movies are sure to be shit but Watts and Kidman should have switched places in these two roles."

I thought Naomi as Diana and Nicole as Grace was bad casting - but that is worse.

The race is shaping up to be: Blanchett, Bullock, Dench, and Adams, with Roberts or Thompson rounding it off.

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

Fuck you r20 Roberts? Really? Dream on!!!!And Adams?? for what? American Hustle? She's supporting (again)

by Anonymousreply 2109/06/2013

I gotta believe Melissa McCarthy has a shot with Heat. She'll win the Golden Globe for comedy for sure. Some of the critics groups like to look outside the box too. In a year of heavy serious performances I think she could sneak in as counter-programming. And she's Hollywood's most bankable female star.

by Anonymousreply 2209/06/2013

They nominated her for Bridesmaids and her acting wasn't really any different in The Heat. So, no.

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2013

Kate Muir - The Times

[quote]"There are a number of lines you never, ever want to hear Diana, Princess of Wales say, and they include: 'I love feeling your hand there', and 'Yes, I've been a mad bitch'. Even when these lines are delivered by the fragrant Naomi Watts, doing her level best with a squirmingly embarrassing script, this film is still atrocious and intrusive."

by Anonymousreply 2409/06/2013

Christopher Tookey - Daily Mail

[quote]"The trouble is that in being so careful and eager not to offend, the film is a more than a little tedious, with a lightweight, romantic storyline that fails to surprise, let alone sustain a movie that lasts nearly two hours. It has the slightness of a Barbara Cartland novella, but the love affair is treated with ponderous solemnity, as though it were another Gone With The Wind. It's slow and terribly, terribly dull."

by Anonymousreply 2509/06/2013

I can't wait for the campy future "Nicomi" screenings of Diana and Princess Grace.

by Anonymousreply 2609/06/2013

[quote]delivered by the fragrant Naomi Watts

I refuse to take seriously the opinion of someone who would write that.

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2013

All of the opinions say the same thing. It sucks.

I'm laughing how everybody predicted she'd be nominated for this piece of shit Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2909/06/2013

To be fair, Helen Mirren as the Queen was equally ludicrous casting but it made up for it with a solid script and good direction.

R20 I doubt Bullock will get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3009/06/2013

R30, why was Mirren ludicrous casting? She didn't particularly look like her but so what? The ridiculous casting in The Queen was Sylvia Syms as the Queen Mother. The actress has been good in some roles but regal she ain't.

And Bullock is a shoo-in for an Oscar for Gravity. Pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2013

Sylvia Sims was fucking brilliant in The Queen. All she had to do was shake her whisky glass around and watch TV.

by Anonymousreply 3209/07/2013

You doubt Bullock will get a nomination? Then I doubt you have seen the reviews. If she can win for The Blind Side (which was weird) she can certainly get a nomination for what looks to be the best reviewed movie of the year in which she is getting career-best raves.

Having said that, I think if there's a better or more awarded performance than Blanchett's this year, it will be a big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 3309/07/2013

Sylvia Syms looked exactly like what I imagine J. Edgar Hoover looked like in drag in "The Queen: - a squat little pug dog all gussied up.

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2013

Awardscircuit has Adams running as lead.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2013

Brittney Spears would have been the spot-on choice for Diana.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2013

R27, 'fragrant' has been a joke in the UK since Justice Caulfield said in court of Mary Archer, "Is she not fragrant?" in 1987.

She's not being terribly serious.

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2013

R34 Syms and Mirren should have switched roles.

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2013

She was miscast in King Kong. She was too old at the time for that role. ANd she didn't do much acting in The Impossible..her character was half out of it for a lot of the movie, and the rest of it she just grimaced and looked beat up.

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2013

[quote]Kidman as Princess Grace is sure to be the real horror show.

You are right. Nicole should have played Princess Grace post car accident.

by Anonymousreply 4009/07/2013

[quote]She was miscast in King Kong. She was too old at the time for that role.

I agree. She couldn't pass for an ingenue no matter how hard she tried. It was embarrassing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2013

I hope Mr. Watts is bringing home a good paycheck these days. He may need to be the breadwinner in this family at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 4209/07/2013

A friend of mine saw Gravity last night. He said Bullock's a lock. How odd is that? Cate will win, but Bullock, a lock for a nom? Strange days indeed.

by Anonymousreply 4309/07/2013

I wonder if Grace of Monaco will be a similar disaster.

by Anonymousreply 4409/08/2013

Trailer looks awful!

by Anonymousreply 4509/08/2013

As good as she was, Watts was also a decade too old for the ingénue she played in "Mulholland Drive," as was her co-star Laura Herring.

by Anonymousreply 4609/08/2013

Oh please, R4. It's the Americans who have the "Diana worship." The Brits are the ones just putting on a show - you're the ones buying it. Why else do you think we keep the royals?

by Anonymousreply 4709/08/2013

Watts was appallingly miscast. We all know the part of Diana should have been played by Nastascha McElhone.

by Anonymousreply 4809/08/2013

From the very beginning I thought she looked nothing like Diana. They made her look like Tina Brown instead. Maybe if they make a movie about Tina they should cast Naomi.

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2013

It seems like Naomi and Nicole are on parallel career trajectories.

Naomi drops out of Werner Herzog's Gertrude Bell biopic, Queen of the Desert, and Nicole steps in.

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2013

I'm sorry but I totally agree with r5. Is anyone, anywhere really going to give enough of a shit to pay to see this?

by Anonymousreply 5109/08/2013

I have to interject here. The director of 'Diana' is German. What we found so spectacular in his 'Downfall', the way that Germans talk and generate an atmosphere may not necessarily have translated well to a British sensibility. I think people are uncomfortable with 'Diana' because of a profound lack of Britishness. The lines quoted are emotionally driven and we know how uncomfortable British middle class audiences get when something isn't done in a satirical way. They can't take something straight. It's not in their nature. 'Diana' needed a maverick director such as a Werner Herzog who does not have the language barrier problem of his German peers and would have turned the sub par script into something watchable.

by Anonymousreply 5209/08/2013

The only people who should've been allowed to make a Diana film were Stephen Frears and Peter Morgan.

I never even liked that film Downfall. It just went on and on and was like a parody of the Third Reich. It shouldn't come as any surprise that this Diana film isn't credibly, certainly not with this German director directing English speaking actors. He obviously has no ear for dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 5309/08/2013

Diana Princess of Wales should have been played by veteran indie stalwart Lili Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 5409/08/2013

R46, this isn't open season on Naomi Watts. You can't knock her performance in Mulholland Drive. And whatever your thoughts, I would remind you of the film's dreamlike nature and subtext of desperation and loss. You can't say she looked too old to play an ingenue without recognising that may have been the point.

by Anonymousreply 5509/08/2013

Lili Taylor would be better as Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 5609/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!