Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ally McBeal

How come you never see this show in syndicated run anywhere? I feel like it was never syndicated at all after it's initial run.

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013

It ran on FX or some cable channel in the early 2000s.

As much as I enjoyed it at the time, show was very specific to the late 90s. The handful of episodes I saw in syndication didn't hold up all that well.

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

So dated, and all the little "quirks" that some apparently found adorable at the time are now just nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

Because it was complete 90s self-referential garbage - like Seinfeld, only more offensive. The same reason you will not see 95% of the movies made in the last decade anywhere except on channel 399 of your cable box.

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2013

I can only pray Zooey Deschanel's "adorkable" TV show suffers a similar fate.

by Anonymousreply 409/06/2013

I remember loving that show. Especially Lucy Liu.

by Anonymousreply 509/06/2013

HATED this show. The only thing I hated more was when they edited out the serious stuff and made it a half hour "comedy" called Ally.

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2013

I fell in love with RDJ when he was on this show, he pinged just enough and it was sexy. IMO it is the best role he will ever play, even though he was just being his asshole self. It was perfect.

Loved Lucy Liu as well r5 and Peter MacNicol

by Anonymousreply 709/06/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 809/06/2013

Will "30 Rock" ever be run in syndication? So many of the references are so time-specific.

by Anonymousreply 909/06/2013

30 Rock is already in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 1009/06/2013

I loved the show when it was on, but it did not hold up well.

How did Jane Krakowski escape the Ally McBeal curse? She neither got too thin or went bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 1109/06/2013

Most hour-long shows don't get syndicated; only half-hour sitcoms sell well in the secondary market.

Only "Law & Order" and its spawn have defied that curse. Plus whatever they show on TNT during the day, like "Charmed" and "Angel" - but surprisingly, not "Buffy".

by Anonymousreply 1209/07/2013

Charmed and Buffy do well in part because you can watch the episode out if context of where it is in the run.

by Anonymousreply 1309/07/2013

It was being rerun on the Reelz channel about 3 years ago. But as others said, it didn't age well. I remember laughing uncontrollably during most of the first season. But when I rewatched a few years ago it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered. I think most of the things that made the show distinctive at the time are now things we've seen a million times now.

by Anonymousreply 1409/07/2013

The 'dancing baby' thing got old real fast.

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2013

Unless it's a crime procedural/mystery (Matlock; Murder, She Wrote; Law & Order; CSI; NCIS) or a sci-fi/fantasy (Star Trek; Quantum Leap; Buffy; Charmed), an hour-long drama/dramedy program won't do well in syndication. The former appeal to older folks while the latter appeal to committed fans and younger folks. Something like Ally McBeal or Desperate Housewives or Brothers & Sisters don't have that kind of pull.

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2013

[quote]I fell in love with RDJ when he was on this show

He was fantastic. It was like an entirely new show with him. Then... Jon Bon Jovi? What were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2013

[quote] The only thing I hated more was when they edited out the serious stuff and made it a half hour "comedy" called Ally.

I wish they would do this more often. Dexter could become "Dex!" and American Horror Story could be jumbled up to make The Jessica Lange Variety Hour.

by Anonymousreply 1809/10/2013

Brothers & Sisters is currently being shown on the Soap Channel early in the mornings on Saturdays (starts around 5 or 6 AM ET)

by Anonymousreply 1909/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.