Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm getting married!

I'll be getting engaged in October. We've picked out our wedding rings, but it just occurred to me that I don't think I've ever seen gay men (or even straight men) with an engagement ring.

So what does the proposer give to the proposee if they're both gay men? Is there any token of the engagement that's not the traditional thin band with a big diamond? He likes very simple, minimalist things, I like something a bit more interesting to look at but not showy. Neither of us are big jewelry wearers, though.

Yes, I know I'm overthinking this as usual. But have any gay men out there given their husbands-to-be some token of the engagement, and if so, what was it?

by Anonymousreply 4909/07/2013

Diamond studded cock ring.

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

Oh shit. Gay bridezillas are here to stay...

by Anonymousreply 409/05/2013

Earrings

by Anonymousreply 509/05/2013

Caftans

by Anonymousreply 609/05/2013

Nipple rings are what many gay couples have selected for their engagement.

by Anonymousreply 1009/05/2013

"Neither of us are big jewelry wearers, though."

Also not English language teachers, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2013

[quote] But what about engagement rings or other engagement token?

A sex change operation, given you seem desperate to mimic straight chicks.

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2013

I'm with R14.

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2013

R14 is correct. Since when do grooms wear engagement rings?

by Anonymousreply 1609/06/2013

Again, not understanding why MEN would wear engagement rings. Why don't you just piss on your partner's leg if it's so important to mark your territory.

by Anonymousreply 1809/06/2013

A Rolex watch. You can never go wrong with that! It shows how much you really deeply care...

by Anonymousreply 2009/06/2013

Whoever wears the veil with cutaway tuxedo shorts should be given an engagement ring with a sizable diamond in a suspension mounting to keep the diamond flush with either side of the band. To be absolutely clear, the engagement ring is solely for the guy who will carry the bouquet down the isle wearing something borrowed, something blue, something old, something new, with six bits in his shoe.

PS: six bits is .75 us coinage.

by Anonymousreply 2309/06/2013

R23! Another person who knows what 2 bits is! But, I only know it because my nearly retirement age partner taught me what it was and why, this year...

There is a diddy about 2 bits for a haircut, isn't there?

Who here knows WHY 2 bits is a quarter?

by Anonymousreply 2409/07/2013

[quote]There is a diddy about 2 bits for a haircut, isn't there?

The word you're searching for is "ditty," and it's "Shave and a haircut -- two bits," or in some versions, "six bits." It's the familiar "Knockety-knock-knock {pause) knock-KNOCK!" tune (see link).

[quote]Who here knows WHY 2 bits is a quarter?

The Mexican real was a large coin that was stamped or divided into eight smaller bits ("pieces of eight"); "two bits" was therefore a quarter of that coin. When dollars came to be used instead of the real, "two bits" was transferred over but kept the meaning of a quarter -- in this case, a quarter of a dollar. That's also were we get the phrase "two-bit," meaning cheap or tawdry.

by Anonymousreply 2509/07/2013

Men do not wear engagement rings!

This is like when my gay guy friend said he wanted to have his father 'walk him down the aisle'. What??!! We're men for Christ's sake

by Anonymousreply 2709/07/2013

When are you getting divorced?

by Anonymousreply 2809/07/2013

I was not aware we were fighting for "wedding equality."

I thought it was for "marriage equality."

by Anonymousreply 3109/07/2013

R30 Do straight people read and write here often? I'm genuinely curious. Are you a man or woman, what interests drew you here?

by Anonymousreply 3209/07/2013

What do you mean by 'getting engaged in October'?

by Anonymousreply 3309/07/2013

R30 has no business telling gay men how to feel about anything. Go away.

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2013

R32, supposedly, yes, but I think it's largely gay men with a few straights thrown in. We tend to be careful about revealing ourselves due to the nastiness that comes when we do. I only mention my orientation to make a point.

I'm a woman. I don't know that I can answer why well. I feel a general affinity. I'm technically bisexual but like you, my cock-appreciation prevents me from pursuing women. I enjoy the threads, both news-worthy and personal pieces. I enjoy the gossip. I enjoy expanding my horizons, learning about gay culture in a way I wouldn't have access to otherwise. I enjoy the typically left-leaning perspective. I don't enjoy any posts that invalidate homosexuality or race/gender. I probably like and dislike many things you do. I could do without the inane, inflammatory postings, but I enjoy the articulate, well-thought-out responses to everyday questions here. I enjoy the intelligent posters.

I aim to contribute here only when I can support in some way (except for the occasional person who really pisses me off and has it coming...). I usually try to fly under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2013

You're not being supportive, you're being an obnoxious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2013

I don't understand the part about 0P getting engaged in October. It sounds as though they have decided to get married, why is it necessary to have an engagement? Isn't deciding to get married considered being engaged?

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2013

I don't get it either, but by the sound of the OP, he's never encountered other gay men who married. Possibly, he's never met another gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2013

R34 / R36 is why I don't reveal my gender or orientation, because what is visited upon gays and/or women in society is visited upon straights and/or women on DL.

You're entitled to your view. I encourage people who are down, and there are many on DL who are, only to be met with jeers from people you think have the right to speak here. I'm comfortable with my role.

I don't aim to hurt anyone. Can you claim the same?

by Anonymousreply 4009/07/2013

(I apologize for hijacking this thread's original purpose.)

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2013

Matching tiaras. And don't bump heads on the way down, on the wedding night.

by Anonymousreply 4309/07/2013

@R45, I still say go with the Rolex.

by Anonymousreply 4709/07/2013

Gay engagement rings is a marketing idea promoted by the jewelers association, like mimicking straights by using "husband" and "wife" to describe your spouse or partner.

by Anonymousreply 4809/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.