Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: Jolie, Lansbury, Martin and Tosi to Receive Honorary Oscars!

Angelina Jolie, Angela Lansbury, Steve Martin and Piero Tosi to Receive the Academy's Governors Awards

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present Honorary Awards to Angela Lansbury, Steve Martin and Piero Tosi, and the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award to Angelina Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 6809/07/2013

Good call on Lansbury!

Boo for Angelina. She still has so many years ahead of her!

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

Angie is the biggest Emmy loser in history.

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

Oh come on, Angelina deserves that Humanitarian Award. For putting up with Brad's b.o. alone.

by Anonymousreply 309/05/2013

Where the fuck is the link?

by Anonymousreply 409/05/2013

Glenn Close: still Oscarless.

by Anonymousreply 509/05/2013

Angie Lansbury, still Emmyless

by Anonymousreply 609/05/2013

Lansbury should have won the Oscar for "The Manchurian Candidate".

by Anonymousreply 709/05/2013

[quote] Lansbury should have won the Oscar for "The Manchurian Candidate"

Tough cookies, I was better

by Anonymousreply 809/05/2013

And still Doris Day doesn't have an Oscar. She could even get the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

by Anonymousreply 909/05/2013

R9 she has told the Academy she will not show up, or even accept on video.

by Anonymousreply 1009/05/2013

Governor of what- Munchkinland?

by Anonymousreply 1109/05/2013

About time for Lansbury.

With the recent loss of Julie Harris, she is one of only a small group of actresses left from that time period.

Was also nominated for "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and "Gaslight".

by Anonymousreply 1209/05/2013

Giving Jolie the Hersholt Award?

That ought to help the TV ratings.

by Anonymousreply 1309/05/2013

This is actually pretty awesome news. All of them are deserving of their respective awards...can you believe Angela Lansbury was a teenager when she played the smart-mouthed/slutty maid in "Gaslight"?

And Angelina Jolie will always inspire hatred among the feral fraus who think she's a homewrecker, but the woman has donated years of her time/millions of dollars on behalf of the forgotten (children of war, oppressed women and men everywhere).

by Anonymousreply 1409/05/2013

We forgave homewrecker Joanne Woodward, we can forgive Angie.

by Anonymousreply 1509/05/2013

r10, that shouldn't stop them from giving her an honorary award. They're not telecast, anyway, anymore, so what does it matter if she doesn't show up?

by Anonymousreply 1709/05/2013

R17 the winners later show up on the telecast for a final bow, and clips are shown from the presentation of the honorary Oscars.

Doris won't even consent to be on video accepting the award.

So would accept the award, if she won't show up or even appear on video?

Maybe she can phone in her acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 1809/05/2013

[quote] Besides, who the hell would go to the most dangerous countries in the world for attention when all they have to do is get out of a limo sans panties?!

Too bad Princess Diana is dead, we could of asked her.

by Anonymousreply 2009/05/2013

Congrats to all of them.

by Anonymousreply 2109/05/2013

If Steve Martin is getting an honorary Oscar, his career is just about over, because those things are like retirement presents.

Which is kind of a pity, in his case. Not that he's ever going to win an acting award, because he's a middling actor at best, but he's a very good screenwriter. I was hoping that he could still come up with some good scripts.

by Anonymousreply 2209/05/2013

I have a friend who went to school for 7 years, got an MPH and an MSN and worked in 4 African countries doing maternal and child health care and dealt with infectious diseases in remote villages for the CDC. She also went to Indonesia after the tsunami. She lives in these countries, sleeps in cots or on pallets, eats little more than rice, has been bitten by insects that sickened her, and has lived without plastic surgery and makeup.

Nobody ever took her picture or gave her an award. But she matters more than Jolie. She's healed people with her own hands, delivered babies and taught hygiene and nutrition to people. She's saved lives. She doesn't just breeze in for a photo op and breeze out again.

When Jolie takes the time to go to school for years, taking tests and putting in clinical time and passing boards, maybe I'll have respect for her. If she lives for months and years in villages, curing people, bandaging them, delivering their babies, maybe then she'll deserve an award.

by Anonymousreply 2309/05/2013

His name was bandied about to get a nomination for Roxanne

by Anonymousreply 2409/05/2013

R23 do you feel the same way when Bob Hope got the same award for his humanitarian efforts?

by Anonymousreply 2509/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2609/05/2013

So why won't Doris Day appear? What reason did she give?

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2013

Those things are meaningless. They hand those out the way a bank hands out calendars.

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2013

[quote]I have a friend who went to school for 7 years, got an MPH and an MSN and worked in 4 African countries doing maternal and child health care and dealt with infectious diseases in remote villages for the CDC. She also went to Indonesia after the tsunami. She lives in these countries, sleeps in cots or on pallets, eats little more than rice, has been bitten by insects that sickened her, and has lived without plastic surgery and makeup.

[quote]Nobody ever took her picture or gave her an award. But she matters more than Jolie. She's healed people with her own hands, delivered babies and taught hygiene and nutrition to people. She's saved lives. She doesn't just breeze in for a photo op and breeze out again.

Yeah, and when she leaves small children with cancer dripping out of their eyes sockets ask, "Who was that cunt?"

by Anonymousreply 2909/06/2013

And with this, Angela Lansbury will finally E(*)G(*)O(*)T! Thank god for freebies (cast recordings and honorary awards).

by Anonymousreply 3009/06/2013

This Oscar heralds imminent death.

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2013

Mia Farrow deserves the award Jolie is to obtain. There is a profound difference between earning something versus obtaining something.

by Anonymousreply 3309/06/2013

Lansbury will not EGOT. She has no Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 3409/06/2013

I also dispute that Grammys for cast albums were given to the singers during the time period when MAME and SWEENEY TODD won.

by Anonymousreply 3509/06/2013

Steve Martin seems like an odd choice. His career as a whole has been highly accomplished, but if you just take the movie side of it, I don't know that I'd really say he deserved an Oscar for anything.

by Anonymousreply 3609/06/2013

(By which I mean, I don't think they were given to the singers, which means Lansbury isn't a Grammy winner.)

by Anonymousreply 3709/06/2013

" Besides, who the hell would go to the most dangerous countries in the world for attention when all they have to do is get out of a limo sans panties?"

You bloody simpleton. Get a fucking passport and read a book. These stars who go out in the field for humanitarian orgs always have the kind of security and luxuries at hand that nobody else working seriously in the field has. You'd think Audrey Hepburn was a fucking saint as well. "Oh that last trip to the Sudan, that last selfless act, killed her" you idiots bemoan. Yeah right, she was there three days. THREE DAYS. Same goes for AJ. Stars looking for meaning in their shallow pathetic lives regularly come banging on the door of the UN. AJ is no different.

by Anonymousreply 3809/06/2013

Jen, honey, I think it's time to put down the bottle and sleep it off.

by Anonymousreply 3909/06/2013

r27,

Apparently, she has a fear of flying.

by Anonymousreply 4009/06/2013

If that were really what was standing in her way, r40, she could drive the five hours from Carmel to LA.

by Anonymousreply 4109/06/2013

R38 = Chelsea Handler

R39 = soppy American

by Anonymousreply 4209/06/2013

She's 89 years old r41, odds are good that she no longer has a valid driving license. She received a Lifetime Grammy Award in 2008, (which are held in LA) and was a no-show for that as well.

by Anonymousreply 4309/06/2013

Does she know anybody with a driver's license, r43?

by Anonymousreply 4409/06/2013

Oh for fuck's sake, I'm sure that both Doris Day and the TV networks that broadcast the Oscars can afford a round-trip limo, as well as a hotel room.

by Anonymousreply 4509/06/2013

R44 is a New York City subway rider.

by Anonymousreply 4609/06/2013

Haha, my point was that a fear of flying cannot be the real reason Doris Day won't show up to accept an Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 4709/06/2013

I'm sure they probably could R45, maybe she's too ill to attend? Nowadays, a fear of flying would seem a rather odd phobia for a celebrity to have, even if modern jet travel wasn't yet commonplace during Day's heydey.

by Anonymousreply 4809/06/2013

R23 Well, maybe your friend should get an award--just not an Honorary Oscar, since it doesn't sound like she did anything in the film industry. I'm kinda agnostic about Jolie, but if she used her high public profile to bring attention to the needs of people, I'd say she used her talent well.

Lansbury is a great actress and deserved the Oscar a number of times. She was perhaps too new when "Gaslight" got her a nomination--and who could beat Ethel Barrymore (in her first nomination--after that they could just nominate her without needing to give her the award--anyone see in "The Paradine Case"--she may have five minutes of screen time at the beginning and that's it), playing Cary Grant's dying cockney mother (sounding like she had retired from RADA, of course--but it IS a great performance), and Patty Duke gave one of those once-in-a-lifetime performances and I assume people just voted for her and Bancroft as a set (which actually does make sense in some ways). She should have won for "Dorian Gray"--her Sibyl was enormously affecting. Anne Revere had been a sturdy worker (and a very good actress, as well--would love to have seen her Martha in the original stage production of "The Children's Hour") and had lost two years earlier for playing Jennifer Jones' Bernadette's mother with a straight face (itself a remarkable achievement), and that was when the Supporting Actress tended to go to character actresses (SOndergaard, Bainter, McDaniel, Darwell, Mary Astor in a "character" role, Paxinou). Teresa Wright, a fine actress in a nothing role, was swept in by Miniver- and war-time fever, and was the first of the "ingenue" Supporting Actresses.

I also think Steve Martin had reason to expect a nomination for "All of Me"--he won a Critics Award--but comedy rarely gets the leading Oscar, and he wasn't even nominated--Jeff Bridges for Starman and maybe Albert Finney for Under the Volcano probably took his spot--or Sam Waterson, who is a good actor, but didn't really need much complexity, for The Killing Fields). All good actors, all good performances--it was going to FMurray in any case--an instance where the role won the award--if Sonny Tufts had been cast in it he probably would have won.

by Anonymousreply 4909/06/2013

For sure, Piero Tosi deserves an award. He created some of the most beautiful costumes, ever, in cinema. Especially his period pieces. They were detailed, elegant, theatrical and totally gorgeous. A well-deserved candidate for an Oscar. Bravo!!

by Anonymousreply 5009/06/2013

WHAT THE FUCK???!!!

by Anonymousreply 5109/06/2013

It's really hard to believe Angela Lansbury never won an Emmy for Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 5209/06/2013

R52. Though I love her, I've found, in watching reruns of MSW, that there's really not much interesting acting for her to do on the show.

by Anonymousreply 5309/06/2013

That's what I thought too R53, I was only a kid when it was on originally, and never got into it later. It seems like a show that more plot and story driven and the acting was incidental. Fun Fact: Jean Stapelton was first offered the role, but turned it down!

by Anonymousreply 5409/06/2013

*was more

by Anonymousreply 5509/06/2013

[quote]If Steve Martin is getting an honorary Oscar, his career is just about over, because those things are like retirement presents. Not that he's ever going to win an acting award, because he's a middling actor at best

Horseshit. he's a fantastic comedic actor and they are ignored by the Academy. He should have been nominated for 'All Of Me" for which he won New York Film Critics Circle Award & National Society of Film Critics Awards & "Father Of The Bride" which he was nominated for the Golden Globe.

by Anonymousreply 5609/06/2013

[quote]When Jolie takes the time to go to school for years, taking tests and putting in clinical time and passing boards, maybe I'll have respect for her. If she lives for months and years in villages, curing people, bandaging them, delivering their babies, maybe then she'll deserve an award.

Does you friend do all that for free? Does she make a salary for living expenses? Jolie is one of the people that brings the money in to pay for everything. She brings the causes to light.

by Anonymousreply 5709/06/2013

She obviously deserves the award. She has been doing it for too long and doesn't really work that often as an actress. If anything her earnestness has hurt her career. That being said I am sure the Academy gave her this because of her health problems and would have waited a decade or so otherwise. If she was in a dramatic film she would have won an award no matter her performance. It shows how crafty she isn't that she didn't wait for an Oscar campaign to make the announcement.

by Anonymousreply 5809/06/2013

R53, that's what makes Angela Lansbury so smart, so unusually smart for an actor. She certainly could have hammed it up, given Jessica "interesting" quirks, made her an acting challenge. But she understood that most TV viewers, especially those for a show like Murder, She Wrote, prefer to spend their time week after week with pleasant people, even though other, more discerning viewers -- viewers whose tastes Lansbury herself might share -- will eventually get bored and stop watching. Suppressing her vanity, she also understood that the stories and the guests are the true stars of most successful detective shows. Even Peter Falk, as inventive as he was, kept himself on a fairly short leash as Columbo. I give her a lot of credit. I guess you don't last as long as she has in show business -- seventy years in three media -- without being shrewd and, perhaps more important, very, very pragmatic.

by Anonymousreply 5909/06/2013

[quote]we could of asked her.

True, r20, we could of. Of you gone beyond 5th grade English?

Of you looked over the thread titled: [italic]Common Datalounge grammar and usage errors[/italic]? When you of time, be sure to look it over.

by Anonymousreply 6009/06/2013

Of course there can be a repetitive aspect to Murder, She Wrote or Columbo, or any of those long-running murder mystery shows. That's the way it is with any long-term premise that has the same basic story each week, so it is skilled actors who can keep it going year after year.

Lansbury and Falk were able to do that - many others could not.

by Anonymousreply 6109/07/2013

YAY! for the legendary Angela Lansury! She's a phenomenal performer and they could've not pick a more deserving recipient. She's only the 10th woman to get the honor and at 88, the oldest. By the way, Doris Day was also offered Murder, She Wrote before Lansbury was cast.

by Anonymousreply 6209/07/2013

I think Lansbury actually turns 88 next month, yes?

by Anonymousreply 6309/07/2013

I'm sorry but Angelina deserves this award whether you think so or now. Are you a Jennifer Aniston lover??? What kind of work has SHE done for the world....

by Anonymousreply 6409/07/2013

Jennifer Aniston has financially supported several boyfriends and visited the five star resorts of Cabo! What has Angelina Jolie done?

Seriously, it makes me like Angelina even more, knowing the irrational hatred she inspires in fraus.

by Anonymousreply 6509/07/2013

I wonder who was more upset about the Honorary Awards, Jennifer Aniston or Billy Crystal?

Crystal had to assume that he'd get one eventually, since frequent host Bob Hope won several Honorary Awards (and he probably will someday). I doubt anyone thought that Martin would get one first.

by Anonymousreply 6609/07/2013

Can one fucking site on the internet not be obsessed with Jolie's unnecessarily cut off tits? It's not the "fraus" who hate her(I bet a straight women wrote that post), they're the ones who love her. They're split between her and Aniston, no one else gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 6709/07/2013

[quote]I'm sorry

Apology accepted.

[quote]but Angelina deserves this award

No, she really, really doesn't. The Hersholt, while essentially meaningless, shouldn't be given for obsessive famewhoring to the point where a failed wannabe director cuts off her tits to garner good press.

[quote]whether you think so or now.

Pardon?

[quote]Are you a Jennifer Aniston lover???

Who? Wait.. do you mean that ugly, desperate, shitty actress girl who can't keep a man?

[quote]What kind of work has SHE done for the world....

No idea.

[quote]by: Nancy

Nancy, dear, welcome to the Datalounge. It's a good idea to read for a while before you start posting.

by Anonymousreply 6809/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.