Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What made Princess Diana so iconic?

I'm only 24 so I only vaguely remember the furor surrounding her death. But I'm curious now to know what made her so interesting to people--especially image-wise. I'm not being critical--I'm genuinely curious. From what I can tell, she had a nice style, particularly in the latter part of her life. And she seemed to have some sort of a regal air about her that translated well through photographs, which not every royal seems to have. Any other opinions/ideas?

by Anonymousreply 2909/05/2013

The world loves attractive but vapid cunts. Hence we got Diana and later the likes of the Kris Jenner's whore daughters.

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

1. Royal

2. Attractive

3) Vulnerable

4) Fashion Icon

5) Humanitarian, including especially AIDS

6) Camilla

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

She was the People's Princess. She connected with the public in a way no other royal and even no other international world leader has. She was strikingly beautiful, so the public was easily drwan to her. She also showed a great deal of compassion to those less fortunate in the world. She appeared to have a great sense of humor particularly with her kids. She clearly enjoyed being a mother. And yet she could just as easily mingle with international, political and social leaders of the day.

Plus, Diana had a cheating douchebag of a husband who treated her like shit. So people had a great deal of empathy for her. And in her BBC interview, she showed a great deal of understanding of herself, the royal family and the world around her. It had been quite a journey for her.

And when she died, the world was saddened and shocked. No one before or since in recent memory had touched the world the way Diana had. She died young, so she remains in people's hearts and heads.

by Anonymousreply 309/05/2013

It's so funny to me that there are now grown men and women who can barely remember Diana; she's just a very hazy memory from their early childhoods. Time flies...

by Anonymousreply 409/05/2013

The ways in which she was a fucked-up, BPD mess didn't emerge all at once, but gradually, and many people didn't believe them.

Hey, Michael Jackson is still revered by many.

It's a celebrity-crazed world.

(p.s. She did do good things for AIDS awareness.)

by Anonymousreply 509/05/2013

In this case, my dear young OP, a home video is worth 1,000 MARY!s.

by Anonymousreply 609/05/2013

She dressed and photographed well. She was attractive and she exuded a sort of vulnerability that people were drawn to, I think people related to her and saw their own pain in her. She was just different from Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, the Kents and Glouts, and The Queen herself- she was more like a regular human even though she was the daughter of an Earl. She was modern and friendly and kind, something no one could say for most of the others.

by Anonymousreply 709/05/2013

She did what other royals wouldn't do, OP. Picking up AIDS babies, and sitting with AIDS patients astounded people. This was back when people were freaking out about the disease. She also walked through minefields.

She was a good woman at heart who got into an institution she wasn't suited for at too young and age. She was also too normal for that lifestyle, even with all her inner demons.

She was hounded by the media, but was smart enough to use them to her advantage. She knew the royal family owned her children and would do anything to made her look like an unfit mother. She then made sure the media saw her taking her kids to amusement parks and taking them on trips. She also used the media to take them to places they never would go, to bring attention to issues she cared about.

Then there's the entire fashion icon angle. The media followed her every move, what she was wearing, how her hair was styled, etc. That wedding of her's broke records in terms of viewership too. So was catapulted her into superstardom overnight. The wedding was seen as a fairy tale, something out of a storybook, at least that's how the media played it.

She was overweight in the early years, so that was another thing the media latched onto. She sold papers.

The media made her icon, but she gave them reason to do so.

by Anonymousreply 809/05/2013

Put Diana on a magazine cover today. She still outsells everyone. Loved Diana. Still miss her. I wish she were around today. It would be fascinating to have seen her become even more of a major figure and driving force on the international stage today. Diana was something else.

by Anonymousreply 909/05/2013

She died young and tragically.

by Anonymousreply 1009/05/2013

She was plain with an unflattering hairstyle when she hit the scene. It wasn't until a year or two in that she got better looking.

by Anonymousreply 1209/05/2013

It's a perfectly normal thing to do! I mean, royalty for God's sake!

by Anonymousreply 1309/05/2013

She was already beloved before she died, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1409/05/2013

Who said she was Bipolar? I knew about the bulimia and depression.

I still love how Camilla and Charles "picked her" to marry because they believed Diana was too dumb to pick up that fucking each other. Diana's confrontation with Camilla over it was legendary. The old horse probably shat her pants. That's when Diana was becoming "a problem".

It's really funny to me how people try to make Diana to be this mental case when she was in an institution that was basically a sanitarium. It was so crazy of her to get upset that her husband was fucking around on her, which was the norm for that family. The royals are the ones who are soft in the head. Probably all the inbreeding.

One thing always stood out to me in one of her last interviews. She said that she wouldn't be alive much longer, that a car accident would be staged (she said someone warned her), and that after her death, the royal family would rewrite her story and turn her into a villain, which they did, and have successfully made many people believe.

by Anonymousreply 1509/05/2013

Little girls are taught they'll meet a handsome prince who will love them completely and take them away to a palace and live together 4-ever in pure bliss.

I think her death was a sort of death of innocence for a lot of people. But everyone has to grow up eventually, right?

by Anonymousreply 1609/05/2013

This is probably a stupid question, but why didn't Prince Charles just marry Camilla first? Why even bother marrying someone else and then carry on an affair?

by Anonymousreply 1709/05/2013

Can you cite your source for Diana's prediction of her own death R15?

by Anonymousreply 1809/05/2013

The Queen won't get as big a sendoff as Diana did. For various reasons.

by Anonymousreply 1909/05/2013

R17. Charles was forbidden from marrying Camilla in the 1970s because she wasn't a virgin and she had a bit of reputation as a good time girl. Those were the rules back then. It was even the rule when Charles married Diana, who was a virgin, in 1981.

But times have changed. Due to the royal family throwing Diana and Sarah to the wolves having to fend for themselves without knowing royal protocol, the royal family learned their lesson kicking and screaming. As a result, Kate Middleton was not a virgin, and William was allowed to marry her after they had already been lving together for years.

by Anonymousreply 2009/05/2013

She was 19 when she got engaged, and she seemed so pretty/shy/virginal. Then she blossomed into a headstrong and beautiful woman who PUBLICLY devoted her time and energy to helping others. Yeah, Diana had her flaws, but it was hard not to be enamored of her.

I was born in the 80s and I distinctly remember that every waiting room, beautician, barber, tax preparer, etc. had several issues of magazines that featured Diana on the cover. The fame game has changed significantly in the age of Twitter, but she really was the most famous/photographed woman in the world.

by Anonymousreply 2109/05/2013

Diana died right around the time of the Lewinsky scandal. Both of these super scandalous and shocking events marked a big changing point in American media. This is when a lot of people started following developments 24/7 via the internet. American tabloid culture really took off because they had endless material from these two mega stories. I remember all the magazines at the check out either had Monica or Diana on the cover. So they really paved the way for the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 2209/05/2013

I don't know. She had a large nose, a small mouth, a flat, shapeless rear end, and feet like a Clydesdale. But she had presence, a shy, under-eyed way of looking at the camera that seemed to endear her to people.

by Anonymousreply 2309/05/2013

Whether it was real or not, people responded to the idea that someone with that much privilege could connect so well with people who had none. That alone elevated her to goddess-like status. You had to see it unfold to understand it.

by Anonymousreply 2409/05/2013

[quote] She connected with the public in a way no other royal and even no other international world leader has.

Oh, puh-leeze!

by Anonymousreply 2509/05/2013

Diana was the most beloved human being that has ever lived!

by Anonymousreply 2609/05/2013

I believe OP that Camilla was a Divorcee and therefore unfit for the throne.

by Anonymousreply 2709/05/2013

r20 is right. If Charles and Camilla were young today, they would be allowed to get married. Back then, the rules were a lot different and it was unthinkable. Which is too bad, because if Charles and Camilla could've gotten married way back when, everybody would have been a lot happier and better off.

Even in the 1970s, the Royal Family was still following antiquated rules of what was "appropriate." It really is true that Diana and Fergie took them kicking and screaming into the modern era.

by Anonymousreply 2809/05/2013

But if Charles and Camilla had been allowed to marry, their children would have had four legs, hooves, a tail and a mane.

by Anonymousreply 2909/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.