Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Coyotes are Everywhere

No longer just in the West, as we think.

For those of us still relatively new to these creatures, do they pose any threat to humans or just small pets?

by Anonymousreply 8807/11/2014

I like the wolfs that aren't coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 109/05/2013

Wolves and otters. Theys my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 209/05/2013

Mines 2!

by Anonymousreply 309/05/2013

We just got our first coyote in over 100 years. Nobody can figure out how it got here, since we are on an island.

by Anonymousreply 409/05/2013

They're all over Cape Cod. They must have been so pissed with the backup on both the Bourne and the Sagamore.

by Anonymousreply 509/05/2013

Yes, they do pose a threat to humans. Why, just the other day, a coyote dragged off a baby at a cemetery. The family was paying homage at some dead relative's tombstone - and a coyote snatched a baby whose mother was distracted, I guess, by the proceedings.

I never laughed so hard when I saw that in the newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 609/05/2013

I thought R6 was joking, but no. It really happened.

by Anonymousreply 709/05/2013

We have a lot of them in suburban Denver. They are really loud at night, and killed one of the neighbor's dogs. I saw a lone coyote get chased by several huge deer a few weeks ago. That was pretty cool. They are not so vicious when they are alone.

by Anonymousreply 809/05/2013

"The dingoes ate my baby!"

by Anonymousreply 909/05/2013

One devoured Jessica Simpson's cute little dog.

by Anonymousreply 1009/05/2013

Packs of Coyotes pose a threat to humans, dogs (any size), and cats. Single Coyotes are less likely to attack a large dog; but small ones, and cats are definitely at risk.

by Anonymousreply 1109/05/2013

Good for business!

by Anonymousreply 1209/05/2013

Here it's hawks, owls, and sometimes an eagle that will carry off your small dog, kitty cat, kitten, or puppy.

Let your little dog out at dawn to pee and swoop! The owl family has a nice breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 1309/05/2013

I used to hear them on summer nights, when I lived in the hills above San Jose. I'd hear packs yapping and howling at each other, sounding like they were having a great time. To me, they're the sound of boondock summer nights.

Yes, I kept my pets inside.

by Anonymousreply 1409/05/2013

My friend lives in rural Connecticut and says it's bizarre to hear coyotes howling at night in New England.

by Anonymousreply 1509/05/2013

They do pose a threat to children, but we should welcome this. It improves the species.

by Anonymousreply 1609/05/2013

Did they live in New England in colonial times? I always associate them with the western US.

by Anonymousreply 1709/05/2013

I'm in CT and we have coyotes all over here. Their howling at night in the woods sounds like a werewolf movie, it's pretty creepy. Coyotes don't really pose a threat to us, they're timid around humans.

by Anonymousreply 1809/05/2013

R12 deserves WW for that! Good job.

by Anonymousreply 1909/05/2013

One has been spotted in my neighborhood. So far 3 cats have been killed and some ducks.

by Anonymousreply 2009/05/2013

R17, coyotes in New England are a relatively new phenomenon. They have spread all over North America, both the States and Canada.

by Anonymousreply 2109/05/2013

I started the thread last year 'I secretly feed coyotes' . I still do. I still find these creatures fascinating. I have never felt threatened by any of them. Since I have been giving them their nightly meal, there have been no reported killings of any dogs, or cats, on our street, or neighborhood ( West Hollywood Hills). I also continue to walk our small dog at night , with no problem.

by Anonymousreply 2209/05/2013

Lol, Mr Hollywood, I bet your neighbors would be livid if they found out. I lived in Scottsdale for a period of time, and we had javelina's in the neighborhood. The adults were huge, and they travelled with their babies. I would hear snorting noises in the evenings, and would find them drinking out of my fountain on the front porch, so I thought that they may be hungry as well as thirsty. I started feeding them leftover fruits and veggies. I mentioned this to a neighbor. He was pissed, and told all of the other neighbors. Apparently, they knock over trash cans and make a mess trying to get food, so people don't like them. I never witnessed this. The javelina's were around long before the houses in north Scottsdale.

by Anonymousreply 2309/05/2013

Yeah, we've destroyed millions of acres of what was formerly wooded areas and forest so we can build shitty little suburban homes.

Coyotes being there isn't at all a surprise. The only surprise is that there aren't more of them.

by Anonymousreply 2409/05/2013

Coyotes have no problem living near developments. It probably won't change.

by Anonymousreply 2509/05/2013

Mountain lions or cougars feed on coyotes and they are following them everywhere.

There has also been an enormous population explosion among raccoons that poses more of a threat to humans since they have hands that can grip like ours and are evolving much faster than we did. Eventually they will rule us.

by Anonymousreply 2609/05/2013

Coyote populations are growing, in the wild as well as in populated areas where they hunt for pets and garbage.  Today, their range extends from the forests of the northwest to the deserts of Mexico, from downtown Los Angeles to parks inside New York City. Coyotes have become the most abundant large predatory animal on the continent. But attacks are rare and, statistically speaking, coyotes are far less of a threat than pit bulls.

In Yellowstone where hundreds of coyotes have established territories in areas frequented by over 3 million people a year, there have been less than half a dozen incidents over several decades and each one involved animals that had been fed by tourists.

Around neighborhoods in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas where coyotes are seen daily, humans are far more likely to lose a pet cat or small dog to coyotes than they are to be threatened themselves.

Most coyotes pose little threat to humans. The problems generally start when people feed coyotes, even if that feeding is unintentional (a coyote may eat the food that's left outside for a pet)

It's not uncommon to see a coyote pass through an urban or suburban neighborhood. But most coyotes aren't thrilled about being seen by people. Urban coyotes are more active at night than their rural counterparts, so humans don't see a lot of their activity. In many cases, coyotes are probably doing us favors that we don't realize – they eat a lot of rodents and other animals that people don't want around.

by Anonymousreply 2709/05/2013

Are coyotes dangerous to people?

Coyotes are rarely dangerous to people. The key to living with coyotes is remembering that they are naturally afraid of people. The most effective way to prevent a bad encounter with a coyote is to reinforce this natural fear through your behavior. If a coyote is seen in its natural habitat, it is fine to watch it from a distance. Coyotes are often seen in neighborhoods near natural areas. NEVER approach a coyote, let your dog approach it, or feed it. If you are approached by a coyote, or it comes into your yard, scare it away by shouting at it and waving your arms over your head. These actions will reinforce the coyote’s natural fear of people and teach it that your yard is not available territory.

If a coyote becomes aggressive, will not be scared away by you, or approaches you aggressively, these are signs that it has lost its fear of people. This is often a result of someone feeding it. If this occurs, the individual coyote may need to be trapped and killed. Another coyote will take its place, but this new coyote will have a fear of people and will not exhibit aggressive behavior.

If you or one of your pets has been bitten by a coyote, or if you see a coyote that is injured or seriously ill, you should contact your local animal control. There should be an animal control contact number for your area no matter where you live.

Are coyotes dangerous to pets?

Coyotes cannot tell the difference between their natural prey and pets. Therefore, they have been known to occasionally prey on cats. They will only attack another dog if they perceive it to be a threat to their territory, mate, or young. Coyotes view dogs as competition, not as prey. In addition, coyotes, like all dogs, are territorial animals. If an unfamiliar animal enters their territory, a small group of coyotes will often investigate together. This is why people may see three to four adult coyotes approach their dog or horse.

Remember that coyotes are simply curious about you or the animal and are not organizing to hunt.

Research has shown that the majority of coyotes live in family groups, but some live as lone animals. Family groups work together to bring food back to a nursing mother, and to protect their territory, but they do not hunt in packs like wolves do. A coyote’s primary prey is small mammals, and it only takes one coyote, or a pair, to kill an animal.

Coyotes are protective of their den sites in the early summer and will aggressively chase, or attack, any animal that gets too close to their young. Coyotes, which are dogs themselves, do not think of dogs as prey and usually will not attack a dog for food.

However, coyotes do view dogs as competition for territory, food and mates. Coyotes protect their territory just like a dog will protect a yard. Therefore, if a dog, or any animal, enters a coyote’s territory, the coyotes will chase it off, or attack it if it won’t be chased away.

This can also happen when dogs are walked off leash in natural areas.

Coyotes are most protective of their territory when they are mating, January through March, and when they have pups, May through June.

What can be done to prevent any unwanted contact and protect pets and coyotes?

By keeping dogs on a leash and staying on designated trails, contact with coyotes can generally be avoided.

Always supervise your dog closely in areas where coyotes are present, even your backyard. Coyotes are not afraid of your dog, but they are afraid of you. If a coyote approaches your dog, scare away the coyote.

If there are food sources around your house or neighboring houses (e.g. bird feed, untidy garbage cans, food left out for pets), a coyote will take advantage of it when people are not around. These types of food sources are unnatural and will teach the coyote that if it risks coming close to humans it will be rewarded with food. It is very important to keep the area around your house free of these food sources.

by Anonymousreply 2809/05/2013

[quote] They will only attack another dog if they perceive it to be a threat to its territory, mate or young. Coyotes view dogs as competition, not as prey.... Coyotes, which are dogs themselves, do not think of dogs as prey and will usually not attack a dog for food

Nice try.

In the span of a week, three Yorkshire terriers have been snatched by coyotes living in the hillsides of Laguna Beach, authorities said.

Blood and fur has been found, left behind after the attacks that have taken pets away from their families.

“It looked like the coyotes actually broke through a fence -- or jumped over it and knocked it over when they did it – to come after the dog,” Laguna Beach Police Capt. Jason Kravetz said.

News of the attacks comes a week after a 2-year-old girl was attacked by a coyote at Forest Lawn Mortuary in Cypress. She was bitten and the animal tried to drag her away, but the girl’s mother saved her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 2909/05/2013

I'm guessing human habitation has helped the coyote spread across country. They probably followed alongside highways, feasting on road kill, or alongside railroad tracks, eating rodents and garbage in the undeveloped areas around the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 3009/05/2013

I live in Nashville, a stone's throw from Vanderbilt and not anywhere near woods or a park. I see coyotes all the time. The first time I saw one was in my front yard, late at night. I thought it was a giant fox until I realized what it was. They have been known to kill and eat neighbour's cats, but, for god's sake, why would anyone leave a cat out overnight?!?

by Anonymousreply 3109/05/2013

R31, unfortunately, cats who are accustomed to being indoor/outdoor cats are very hard to keep in at night if they want to go outside. That is their natural hunting time. If I try and keep mine in at night they will destroy things just out of anger and spite. I don't really like it but I finally just said "okay, you little shits, out with you."

by Anonymousreply 3209/05/2013

A coyote approached me when I got locked out of my office at 6 a.m. one day. And this was twenty years ago. I don't think they fear humans.

by Anonymousreply 3309/05/2013

Just slightly off topic:

I have Midwestern relatives who refer to them not as KYE-oh-tees, but ky-YOHTS (two syllables).

Is this accepted pronunciation in some parts of the country? (They also say "motorsickle" for "motorcycle.")

by Anonymousreply 3409/05/2013

Have your Midwestern relatives ask them what they prefer to be called.

by Anonymousreply 3509/05/2013

My stepfather is from OK and says ky-otes. I think it's a regional thing. He also says "rassle" for wrestle.

by Anonymousreply 3609/05/2013

I'm in suburban/rural CT, too, and we have coyotes, quite a few of them. I have seen one or two over the years, but recently have had insomnia and and up till 4 or 5 a.m.

A few weeks ago, I was awake at 3:45 and there was a wild, sustained screeching sound (fierce enough to get my attention and loud enough to hear through closed windows). I got up and opened a window and heard what sounded like an animal or animals being killed. It appeared to come from the wooded area behind my neighbor's house.

The papers report it when they kill pets. I think this was a non-pet thing. But I do think it was coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 3709/05/2013

[quote] I would hear snorting noises in the evenings, and would find them drinking out of my fountain on the front porch

Do you live near a frat house?

by Anonymousreply 3809/05/2013

In Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, the Great Plains where I grew up, it was always ky-yote. I believe that ky-o-te starts is a Southwestern thing that has spread West.

In fact, I think a Venn Diagram would show the ky-o-te thing roughly overlaps the region where a ro-de-o is a ro-DAY-o.

by Anonymousreply 3909/05/2013

I wish they would eat raccoons

by Anonymousreply 4009/05/2013

I saw a coyote on Fountain Ave in West Hollywood not that long ago (it was at night) with a cat in its mouth.

by Anonymousreply 4109/05/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4209/05/2013

They should try o do TNR for coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 4309/05/2013

Since we're talking about raccoons, NEVER let your dog chase a raccoon into water, because the raccoon will kill it.

They get on the dog's back, put their paws around his neck and climb up onto his head, and then force the dog's head below the water until it drowns. They can kill the largest dog that way.

by Anonymousreply 4409/05/2013

Lots of coyotes in West Hollywood, it seems. What are you boys doing to attract them?

by Anonymousreply 4509/05/2013

A guy at work was talking about his plans to go on a coyote hunt. Apparently the coyote population explosion isn't just in urban areas, there are so many that it's upsetting the balance in wilderness areas. So, in order to protect other kinds of wildlife, the state fish and game agency is getting hunters who like a challenge to take out some coyotes.

My co-worker was genuinely proud of his ability to outwit coyotes, apparently few hunters can. And that tells you where humans really stand, doesn't it.

by Anonymousreply 4609/05/2013

They are wiley. We've had traps out to catch them. So far the only thing caught were raccoons, possums and a cat. They are trap savvy.

by Anonymousreply 4709/05/2013

R37, you write extremely well and suspensefully.

You should write short stories when you find yourself unable to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 4809/05/2013

[quote]A coyote approached me when I got locked out of my office at 6 a.m. one day. And this was twenty years ago. I don't think they fear humans.

What a pointless anecdote.

by Anonymousreply 4909/05/2013

Yet the noble, resourceful otter is all but ignored.

by Anonymousreply 5109/06/2013

I love otters.

by Anonymousreply 5209/06/2013

I, for one, welcome our new raccoon overlords, r26.

by Anonymousreply 5309/06/2013

I wish we had coyotes and raccoons where I live.

by Anonymousreply 5409/06/2013

If a coyote approaches you, you just make a lot of noise and it goes away usually. They're timid around humans when alone.

by Anonymousreply 5509/06/2013

One morning I went out to my backyard and my dog ran over to some weird lumps near the back wall. It was still somewhat dark outside, but I could make out a furry tail on one end of the yard, and a leg on the other.

A coyote killed a feral kitten in the neighborhood, and ate it in my backyard. All that was left were the legs, tail, and head. I have a 6-foot block wall, and I've been told coyotes can jump over them with ease.

by Anonymousreply 5609/06/2013

I would totally melt if I came upon a bunhc of coyote pups.

by Anonymousreply 5709/06/2013

I saw on t.v. that Raccoons imported as pets have been destroying all of Japan's old wooden temples. Apparently some idiot did a comic series about a loveable raccoon and so 1,500 had to have them as pets. A few escaped and now Japan is under siege. They are running wild in Europe too.

by Anonymousreply 5809/06/2013

.....but Uglies are everywhere-er.

by Anonymousreply 5909/06/2013

[quote]I have a 6-foot block wall, and I've been told coyotes can jump over them with ease.

An adult coyote can run at a top speed of 45mph. and can jump as high as 13ft. They are extremely agile animals.

by Anonymousreply 6009/06/2013

Same here, r32. If you've never owned an indoor/outdoor cat, you have no idea how fucking annoying they can be when they want out. They will cry, yelp, run around the house, scratch furniture, destroy things etc. until they get their way and you let them outside. You cannot keep a cat indoors once they've made their mind up that they want out.

by Anonymousreply 6109/06/2013

Rosie O. told the story about Ellen DeGeneres seeing a stray dog on the side of the road in Los Angeles and getting out of her car to rescue it. Ellen took some food from her car and tried to entice the dog into her car. Another motorist pulled up behind her and screamed, "What are you doing? That's a coyote!"

by Anonymousreply 6209/06/2013

R61 I have one that claws my furniture while nonchalantly looking at me in a sort of "hey, asshole, see what I'm going to do" because he knows he gets a reaction when he does that. The other one goes over to the door jamb and scratches it.

by Anonymousreply 6309/06/2013

[quote]We just got our first coyote in over 100 years. Nobody can figure out how it got here, since we are on an island.

How far offshore are you? Coyotes can be powerful little swimmers. About seven years ago, the Chicago Police had to dispatch a boat to fish a coyote out of the Chicago River between Adams and Jackson streets. Totally in the middle of downtown. Somebody spotted it paddling in the river right be Union Station where western commuter trains come in. Who knows how long it was in the water and it took a good while to get it out. Must have been exhausted.

[quote]I'm guessing human habitation has helped the coyote spread across country. They probably followed alongside highways, feasting on road kill, or alongside railroad tracks, eating rodents and garbage in the undeveloped areas around the tracks.

This is exactly how the coyote above got to Chicago. There was another incident (linked) where a coyote walked into Quiznos and plopped into a refrigerated beverage case on Michigan avenue, right across the street from the commuter trains that come in from the south.

Another Chicago incident didn't turn out so well for the coyote (the others were checked and released into the wild). It wandered into the Lincoln Park Zoo. There had been a lot of cases of distemper in the city so the decision was made to shoot it. Distemper is breath borne and there was concern that it might spread to the animals.

by Anonymousreply 6409/06/2013

Apparently, the Chicago area has an urban coyote tracking project. There are 60 of them in Cook County. Really fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 6509/06/2013

Project website

by Anonymousreply 6609/06/2013

beep beep!

by Anonymousreply 6709/07/2013

Things could get interesting if Coyotes try to overrun Hell's Kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 6809/07/2013

I don't see why one shouldn't feed them. Or if they get the occasional cat or two.

Mind you I'm a cat lover too. But I'm also an animal lover and I think they have as much right as us to live as is natural or adapting to an environment that we have changed by our actions.

We encroach on their turf and lifestyle as much as they may on ours.

by Anonymousreply 6909/07/2013

No regrets, coyote.

by Anonymousreply 7009/07/2013

If coyotes wandered into Chinatown they would never be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 7109/07/2013

No threat to humans. EXTREME threat to pets, especially cats. Do not let your pets get used to going outdoors at or after dusk. Declawing is more humane than letting them out with coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 7209/07/2013

We have them in Sarasota County Florida. They are eating their way thru our community. They also like the beaches in Venice, florida.

by Anonymousreply 7409/07/2013

Apparently they are interbreeding with wolves and evolving new sub-species:

by Anonymousreply 7509/08/2013

R73 Yes, there are WAY too many retars around!

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

R74 They love Florida because of all the old people who can't run fast.

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

x

by Anonymousreply 7807/09/2014

My parents had a problem with coyotes near their home, but mother is as clever with a shovel as she is with a needle.

by Anonymousreply 7907/09/2014

"I would totally melt if I came upon a bunhc of coyote pups."

I was once out hiking in California, and heard the same yipping noise as in your video, R57. We could hear the yipping getting closer, and then it suddenly stopped. We continued down the trail, and it started again.

Apparently coyote pups will shut up and hide if a threat is within a certain distance. They're smart little bastards, even as puppies.

by Anonymousreply 8007/10/2014

[all posts by racist flame-bait shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8107/10/2014

[all posts by racist flame-bait shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8207/10/2014

Coyotes are pretty common in neighbourhoods near downtown Toronto, especially those near the ravines in which they live.

Fortunately the raccoons keep them in line. Do NOT fuck with a raccoon!

by Anonymousreply 8307/10/2014

No regrets Coyotes

by Anonymousreply 8407/10/2014

There's a pack living in two vacant apartments upstairs from the pawn shop where I work in an building down on Wyoming in Detroit. They're actually pretty nice, except for pissing in the hallways and leaving their kids unwatched. That and the bitches will fuck just about anything when they're in the mood.

by Anonymousreply 8507/10/2014

[R85]Well what else do you expect off Wyoming honey? Having said that, they sound more pleasant than some the neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 8607/11/2014

I knew this would happen when they stopped making anvils available at Sears.

by Anonymousreply 8707/11/2014

Aw, R49, I thought R33 was hilarious. Locked out of his office at 6am, only to be approached by a coyote?!!

by Anonymousreply 8807/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.