One.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 109/05/2013

Two

by There Will Be Blood. reply 209/05/2013

One, two, three. Three.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 309/05/2013

CMOS (16th edition) now mandates one.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 409/05/2013

One space is the currently accepted by Chicago Style book and other sources. Depending on whom you believe, two spaces is a throwback from learning to type on a typewriter on which adjusting the spacing between proportional characters did not occur.

And yes, learned on a typewriter and cannot help myself.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 509/05/2013

Even on a computer, two still reads better. So two.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 609/05/2013

CMOS be damned; R6 is correct.

Unless we're talking Prairie School Architecture or deep dish pizza (if you like those sorts of things), Chicago has never been the best place to turn on matters of style.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 709/05/2013

One. Two spaces looks desperate, as though you have nothing interesting to say and are simply trying to fill space. That, or it looks as though you're a fossil who has only ever used typewriters and isn't aware that a computer will leave you all the space between sentences that you could possibly need.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 809/05/2013

R6 and R7 are correct: two.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 909/05/2013

One space.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1009/05/2013

Two spaces went the way of indenting paragraphs.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1109/05/2013

I still use two out of habit.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1209/05/2013

APA says one. APA ruled all graduate school papers in the northeast.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1309/05/2013

Most of us are post-menopausal, so periods are no longer an issue.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1409/05/2013

I've never even heard of only one space before.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1509/05/2013

Two

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1609/05/2013

Always two after a period. One after a comma or semi-colon.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1709/05/2013

[quote]two spaces is a throwback from learning to type on a typewriter on which adjusting the spacing between proportional characters did not occur.

This.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1809/05/2013

I hadn't realized that this was ever an issue. I've always been taught to only use a single space after a punctuation mark. How odd that someone would hold onto an archaic concept in this age of digitization.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 1909/05/2013

If you type a document that is right justified, those two spaces are sometimes huge. Looks downright ridiculous.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2009/05/2013

R19, you mean an archaic concept such as the use of hyphens when using a compound age definition as an adjective?

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2109/05/2013

Only one!

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2209/05/2013

For online things that appear on sites (like this) it doesn't matter. HTML strips out the second space anyway. Most online formatters do. I type two out of deeply ingrained habit, and that muscle-memory isn't going to be changing any time soon.

Thankfully, given the new standard is just one space after the period, most people won't notice. In Twitter, Facebook, and Forum posts like here or over at the gawker sites, it's all HTML, so the second space is stripped for me, and it'll pass muster.

If you're submitting writing to an editor though, you need to check with them. But in most cases, it's just one these days.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2309/05/2013

So why on datalounge do you have to hit carriage return twice to get line separation on poems.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2409/05/2013

R24, also a quirk of HTML (and likely of the forum formatting software as well).

HTML wants to 'wrap' text.

In fact, if you double-space to start a new paragraph, but you mistakenly start the paragraph with a space (like an indent), the forum software will wrap it all up with the previous paragraph, as if the blank line never existed.

It's kind of annoying, I agree, but it is what it is.

Most forums allow some way of putting in line breaks, like pressing Shift-Enter, that will be respected and not wrapped out of existence.

But not here.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2509/05/2013

R25 Datalounge has stated its boundaries.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2609/05/2013

Marry me, r21!

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2709/05/2013

Sad when it turns out That Datalounge is not compliant With the very latest grammar trends

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2809/05/2013

I do two.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 2909/05/2013

I prefer two, because it eliminates the possible ambiguity when you use periods in the middle of a sentence, such as Dr. Sylvian's frequent speeches.

(made up that last bit to throw in the "Dr.")

Obviously you can use context to tell that's not really the end of the sentence, but why should you have to?

It's like the Oxford Comma... it should ALWAYS be required. Any 'style' guide that says it should never be used is just flat out WRONG.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3009/05/2013

AP style: one space after a period.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3109/05/2013

I agree with R30. Spellcheck says I'm a loser.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3209/05/2013

R31, AP Style is wrong.

It has chosen an arbitrary rule that cannot be justified by any logic or reason, while the Oxford Comma has many justifications and reasons, and makes perfect sense.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3309/05/2013

When I am texting on my iPhone, if I tap the spacebar two times after any word, it creates a period and one space. This applies, of course, to the ends of sentences as well as abbreviations such as "Dr." or "Mrs.".

I guess the iPhone is following CMOS. Without realizing it, surely.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3409/05/2013

I've never put much faith in Chicago or AP. Both are journalistic in nature. I used MLA while in school. And yes, when writing a scholarly paper I always used two spaces.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3509/05/2013

Marry me R28! For me, it's personal. On material printed out I like the look of two spaces between sentences. I like indented paragraphs. Did it on all my papers. I've been on some computers, no matter what I do, one space is automatic between sentences. And I learned the hard way AutoCorrect is not my friend. In copying lyrics "darkies" always came out "drakes."

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3609/05/2013

What happens if you type three spaces after the period into a formatter? Will you end up with two?

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3709/06/2013

Word processor says ALWAYS two spaces after a period.

Also, a period inside a quotation at the end of a sentence.

Both items of which have been heavily disregarded by the Internet generation who clearly are not getting the education that once was.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3809/06/2013

I'm inclined to agree with R8. I think it's better to have one space after a period. To have two spaces creates too much white space. In addition, it also takes up one character too many. That can be important because of limitations.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 3909/06/2013

[quote]Also, a period inside a quotation at the end of a sentence.

ONLY if the period is PART of the quotation. If you're quoting a sentence fragment, then doing this can be misleading or ambiguous, and the period belongs outside... because it's NOT part of the quote.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 4009/06/2013

I knew this would be a good DL thread. I still don't know which is correct.

I'm going to do 2 because if Ms. Osborne reads this and only sees me using 1, I am fucked.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 4109/06/2013

Two spaces after a period. Two. Not one. Two!

by There Will Be Blood. reply 4209/06/2013

There's no "I'm going to do" stuff.

It's two spaces after a period. Basic typing class.

You don't call the shots in grammar, dear. You follow the rules and obey.

...And keep your ignorance to yourself.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 4309/06/2013

[quote]I knew this would be a good DL thread. I still don't know which is correct.

Before the world of computers, proportional fonts, and computer typesetting, it was two spaces.

After the world of computers, proportional fonts, computer type-setting, and HTML... it's one.

It's really not difficult.

Really, nobody under 30 I think types two spaces, and pretty much everyone over 40 types two spaces. It's ingrained habit.

For the record: neither is "wrong"... it's just that one was the prevailing convention, and now the other is.

by There Will Be Blood. reply 4409/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.